Another shark victim in Bahamas

Not a username2

23 minutes ago, Not a username2 said:

So another shark victim in Bahamas, I’m going to cancel my snorkeling trip from pearl island. Anything else worth doing in Nassau?  

Stay on the ship. I never found much to do that was worth it except the beach and snorkeling. I always do Blue Lagoon but it has not reopened. 

1 hour ago, Not a username2 said:

So another shark victim in Bahamas, I’m going to cancel my snorkeling trip from pearl island. Anything else worth doing in Nassau?  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12830533/amp/lauren-erickson-van-wart-shark-killed-bahamas.html

Try going to Clifton Heritage Park.  

1 hour ago, Not a username2 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12830533/amp/lauren-erickson-van-wart-shark-killed-bahamas.html

Wise decision.. esp if sharks are in the area.   options:

Day Pass at Hilton(?)

walkable from ship, private once you arrive,  nice view of ships,  decent bar and lunch,  unheated swimming pool

Atlantis excursion or ferry over on your own..

A few nice places for lunch..walkable from ship  .try google and port board.

Not much else worthwhile nearby.

Making it a ship day is okay too..as others get off, more space for you!

1 hour ago, jcpelly said:

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.pellersels/videos/10158174243576663/

Us divers actually chase sharks. The guy in this video got quite a surprise as to what was coming up behind him.

Harmless little whitetip reef

If you do a morning dive in Nassau which is possible on a single-day port stop, usually the blacktips come out as they feed them in the afternoon and therefore associate divers as a feeder

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Wise decision.. esp if sharks are in the area.   options:

Day Pass at Hilton(?)

walkable from ship, private once you arrive,  nice view of ships,  decent bar and lunch,  unheated swimming pool

Atlantis excursion or ferry over on your own..

A few nice places for lunch..walkable from ship  .try google and port board.

Not much else worthwhile nearby.

Making it a ship day is okay too..as others get off, more space for you!

Sad to hear of the shark fatalities but there are many sharks off Bahamas. We just cancelled an excursion to Pearl Island not because of sharks but bad reports on island. Hilton has closed (used to do a Day Pass) and not sure what the new prop offers. At the end of the day we will (boringly) do what is easiest. Sleep late and hang out at the Retreat. Maybe go into town for a few hours. Not complaining.

We'll be there in a couple of weeks.  Don't have any excursions planned at the moment.  At most Junkanoo beach and souvenir shopping.  For being the busiest cruise port in the Caribbean, Nassau is SORELY lacking in excursions.

I really wish they had more good all-inclusive options like Cozumel for instance.

Sad.  It's a very hard way to learn that going out 3/4 miles from shore is riskier.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

17 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Sad to hear of the shark fatalities but there are many sharks off Bahamas. We just cancelled an excursion to Pearl Island not because of sharks but bad reports on island. Hilton has closed (used to do a Day Pass) and not sure what the new prop offers. At the end of the day we will (boringly) do what is easiest. Sleep late and hang out at the Retreat. Maybe go into town for a few hours. Not complaining.

What are the bad reports on pearl island?

Edited by Not a username2

44 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Harmless little whitetip reef

If you do a morning dive in Nassau which is possible on a single-day port stop, usually the blacktips come out as they feed them in the afternoon and therefore associate divers as a feeder

Yep, we were chasing them all week long in Fiji. Stayed a little further away from the 10' bull sharks. It would still make me fill the wetsuit if it came 2' from me from behind like that guy. At the end you can hear me laughing in the regulator.  The guy is kind of a dick so wouldn't have minded seeing him take a little chunk out of his fin tip 🙂 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Not a username2 said:

What are the bad reports on pearl island?

Just what I read on TA. Complaints of island cleanliness, long trip etc. This excursion was first day on our cruise and we figured we did not need to leave early (7:30) to do this.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

For the "face your fears" crowd, the Bahamas are the Tiger shark-feeding capital of the world

I always though Hawaii held that title.  There are a lot of Tiger sharks in Hawaii's waters - big ones too. 

42 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Just what I read on TA. Complaints of island cleanliness, long trip etc. This excursion was first day on our cruise and we figured we did not need to leave early (7:30) to do this.

It was a while ago but I didn’t care for Pearl Island. Blue Lagoon was much better than Pearl when booking without the yucky lunch. I would book it with Stingrays and skip the rays and go straight to the beach. Hopefully it will reopen before my next cruise that calls at Nassau. 

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I always though Hawaii held that title.  There are a lot of Tiger sharks in Hawaii's waters - big ones too. 

I did say (which you quoted) "shark-feeding" which was accompanied by a picture.  If you want to dive with tigers, you do so in the Bahamas.  Now where is there a higher concentration of tiger sharks, that I cannot answer, and is compounded by the fact they migrate