Have it all 10% increase

Gunther1

FWIW

Passing along a stat told to us by the finance lady (not sure of her specific title but she was the "hostess" of the officers table that Her Majesty and I were invited to dine w/during a dressy night) while on the Oosterdam  TP cruise this past October (2023).....

She said only about 30% buy HIA on cruises like the one we were on (trans-pacific/repositioning/longer world explorer type cruise)......but 70% buy it on the 7 night Alaska/Caribbean type cruises......and yes, they very much like to sell it...$$$$$.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

FWIW

Passing along a stat told to us by the finance lady (not sure of her specific title but she was the "hostess" of the officers table that Her Majesty and I were invited to dine w/during a dressy night) while on the Oosterdam  TP cruise this past October (2023).....

She said only about 30% buy HIA on cruises like the one we were on (trans-pacific/repositioning/longer world explorer type cruise)......but 70% buy it on the 7 night Alaska/Caribbean type cruises......and yes, they very much like to sell it...$$$$$.

I assume you meant the Oosterdam's October, 2023, TA cruise, not TP.  The Oosterdam that we just disembarked from on 11/15/1023 crossed the Atlantic.  Back to your point, I am surprised that the HIA sells better o the 7-day cruises.  My thought has always been that it is going to cost me more to drink on a 20-day+ cruise than on a 7-day one.  The logic of needing HIA ore on the 7-day cruise escapes me.  

6 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I assume you meant the Oosterdam's October, 2023, TA cruise, not TP.  The Oosterdam that we just disembarked from on 11/15/1023 crossed the Atlantic.

My bad...mixing up our cruises....We were on the Westerdam trans pacific cruise....Oct 1 thru 15 2023....

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

I assume you meant the Oosterdam's October, 2023, TA cruise, not TP.  The Oosterdam that we just disembarked from on 11/15/1023 crossed the Atlantic.  Back to your point, I am surprised that the HIA sells better o the 7-day cruises.  My thought has always been that it is going to cost me more to drink on a 20-day+ cruise than on a 7-day one.  The logic of needing HIA ore on the 7-day cruise escapes me.  

I share your surprise at the “fact” that HIA sells better on a 7 day cruise.  On a transatlantic, there are a number of sea days and the HIA makes far more sense.   I know a number of roll call had it on the Oosterdam (same cruise as you).   7 days?  Not so sure about the logic of that for me, either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

$350 for a 7-day cruise is a steal if I am going to buy WiFi anyway, eat in the Pinnacle Grill, and use the shore excursion credit. That means I paying I am paying less than $100 for booze for a week!! It's almost like they are paying me to drink!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

$350 for a 7-day cruise is a steal if I am going to buy WiFi anyway, eat in the Pinnacle Grill, and use the shore excursion credit. That means I paying I am paying less than $100 for booze for a week!! It's almost like they are paying me to drink!

It's now $385 for 7-day, but it's still a deal if one uses just a few of the included items. We really enjoy having a beverage package, and at $55pppd, HIA is less than SBP -- because you have to pay 18% on the cost of SBP, but HIA goes into your base fare without the service fee, and includes all the food/beverage fees!

So for us, everything BUT the beverage package, is free!

Also I bought the HIA for our one 35-day cruise that wasn't bought with it, before the price increase. $350 in our pocket not theirs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

For Canadians we pay slightly more - I believe it was $65 CAD per day last August - but truly worth it at the old price (and the new price)

I have just checked the price in the euro zone and it has gone from €45 per day to €65 per day.  That is one heck of an increase!  45% 🤔

We are not drinkers .Leave the computer home ,we are on vacation  . The ship has computers if i really need it . Orefer doing my own tours . will pay for any special dinners with our discount . We never take the HIA .We usually get enough OBC to pay for the  tips

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are not drinkers .Leave the computer home ,we are on vacation  . The ship has computers if i really need it . Orefer doing my own tours . will pay for any special dinners with our discount . We never take the HIA .We usually get enough OBC to pay for the  tips

OTH, we love our wine and mixed drinks. Always upgrade to HIA and Club Orange. We bring our iPhones, iPad, MacBook, Kindle, and a bunch of other gadgets. I've been retired for over 30 years, so consider a cruise as just an extension of the easy life. Hardly ever take a tour. Prefer to just go out on our own. Fine with how others enjoy their cruise. BTW, if I was booking my upcoming 22 day Antarctica cruise HIA would be $65/day.

Edited by billco

26 minutes ago, billco said:

OTH, we love our wine and mixed drinks. Always upgrade to HIA and Club Orange. We bring our iPhones, iPad, MacBook, Kindle, and a bunch of other gadgets. I've been retired for over 30 years, so consider a cruise as just an extension of the easy life. Hardly ever take a tour. Prefer to just go out on our own. Fine with how others enjoy their cruise. BTW, if I was booking my upcoming 22 day Antarctica cruise HIA would be $65/day.

Yes ,. different strokes  for different folks . We do not drink alcohol except on rare occasions a glass of wine . so the HIA will not benefit us . We love to arrange private tours & have done many in the world during the last 25 to 30 years  .  I do not crave looking at a computer screen on ay cruise we take . so we leave those things at home  . We are there oon a ship to enjoy the sea & destinations & activities that the dhip may provide .As we say fofferent strokes for different holks . Yes ,we allare diffrent ,thank God 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your typical 7 day sailing has a younger demographic than longer cruises. It's also more likely to be a getaway vacation and keeping up a party pace is more sustainable than it is for longer voyages.

Following my own infallible logic: We are young! We are on a week long cruise starting on Sunday. We bought the EBP, premium wifi, and have dinners booked at the PG and Rudi's (before it goes away 😉)  We'll also do a PG lunch. This is totally what the hip, young, cool kids do - while wearing dungarees and listening to rock and roll music.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

LOl HAL reads these boards & when every one still thinks it is a steal gives them a green light to increase it again in time not too lomng from now Oh inflation , Yeah sure 

LOL at the idea that HAL reads these boards.  🤣😂    

I believe those days have long gone by.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

You're not paying more.  $65 Canadian is less than 50 dollars US.

HAL’s foreign exchange rate has been good for Canadians until of course, it is adjusted. ( I believe it is adjusted quarterly or whenever their future contract expires).

right now, if you don’t have it and are Canadian it is well worth it to prepay the crew incentive and HIA that are billed in Canadian dollars.  It’s a significant savings of around 8 - 10%.

But, the exchange rate difference is still painful for many.  Oh for the days when we were above par and for a crystal ball (and money) at the time 😉 

For an Aussie the HIA has gone from $75 to $85 per day. We purchased it so that we would not have a bill at the end of our cruise. We are generous drinkers whilst on holidays so it represented pretty good value with the add-ons.  However, I recall seeing on another page recently a picture of a new current drinks menu for the HIA with most increases to $12, but I can't find it now. I would be peeved if that is the case.