Live From Miami & Then Crystal Serenity - A New Crystal Adventure Begins

Keith1010

We are home right where we belong with Crystal. 

This morning we awoke with great anticipation for our return to Crystal Serenity and to make new memories will last a lifetime.  We enjoyed our last breakfast and got ready to be driven to the Port of Miami. We were driven on the same route that we have walked this stay and previously when before embarking or after debarking other Crystal cruises.

Like boarding on July 31 of this year, it was wonderful to be back on-board Serenity and we shed some tears. After all that occurred between Covid-19 in 2020 and carrying over to 2021 when Crystal was forced to stop operations because of the previous owner's insolvency, we feel blessed to sail with Crystal. 

Since first sailing Serenity in the Fall of 2005 after prior sailings on Crystal Harmony in 2002 and Crystal Symphony in 2002, 2003 and 2004, we have sailed 1,200+ days on Serenity or the equivalent of 3 years and 4 months on this one vessel. We never felt the need to have a second home because Crystal is our second home and that includes Symphony.

Words cannot adequately describe how much we love and enjoy the Crystal product. We have met so many nice people, both crew and guests sailing Crystal, celebrated so many special moments including birthdays, family get togethers, wedding anniversaries, retirement milestones, and even renewing our wedding vows in 2017 with our family with us.  

The ship has gone through many changes, including the most recent ones, after the vessels were purchased in 2022 that one would never know she in her 20th year of service. What has not changed is the glue which holds everything together, creating that special bond which is the crew. We have known some of the crew not only since our first Serenity voyage in 2005, but from earlier sailings on Crystal Harmony and Crystal Symphony.  

This voyage marks our fourth Crystal Holiday Cruise. The ship looks beautiful decked out in holiday attire and within the first couple of hours we have seen so many of the crew who are part of our extended family, along with several guests who we have sailed with before along with others who we know from the Crystal Society Face Book group page.

When we arrived to the Terminal, we saw Golf Pro Joe Hubert outside as he was waiting to return to the ship. Once inside, we saw friends including Ashley from CC

Eventually, we saw familiar faces from the crew including  our butler the Hotel Director Hubert and Front Office Manager Marco.  Once on board we saw Chief Concierge Ariela and Thomas who works in Reception. We saw Captain Birger who goes home today and Captain Vincent who just came on board. We sailed with Captain Birger on the July 31 Cruise and Captain Vincent on the following cruise.

We started to get settled in our room unpacking items from our carry on roller boards.  

Waterside opened at 11:45 AM earlier than normal to coincide with embarkation starting at 11:45 AM as well. This is a full ship with every room sold out.

We enjoyed our traditional embarkation lunch of a flute of champagne toasting our love for one another and to a wonderful voyage along with a Cobb salad. Senior Waiter Ayhan who we have known for years took our order. We saw Senior Head Waiter Jacques and Restaurant Manger Paolo and several other members of the waitstaff team came by to check on us. We saw some guests we have not sailed with before and some who we have known for years.

We are super excited to being on board.

We received the best gift possible when news arrived that A&K Travel under the leadership of Manfredi Lefebvre d”Ovidio had purchased Crystal Symphony  & Serenity, the name Crystal and the customer lists. It culminated when we had the honor of being on-board for the inaugural cruise starting on July 31 of this year and the one after that.

I will do our best to share our experiences over the next 13 days through words and photos.

Cheers

KeithIMG_3623.jpeg.7cceead8b88f597914934e80f0e6573e.jpeg

IMG_3680.jpeg.6fb45d948522fe3065418c23a70db062.jpeg

IMG_3679.jpeg.93d893e8c5f27d2caa83ce956d77c457.jpeg

• Like 9

We are not used to sailing so late out of Miami.

This is the benefit of having two sea days over the next two days.

Today has been great.

We have met lots of guests who we have known for many years and others we know from CC.

OK now the most important things.

The lighting in Osteria has been adjusted so for those who thought it was too bright the light has been lowered.

And, they changed out the table cloths so they are not white but are like a light berry.

Food was perfect. More tomorrow.

Keith

• Like 1

5 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

tracie,

my computer could not open the image you downloaded.  what was it?

Nine ships in port today.

You will find 7 to 9 ships in port on a Saturday between November thru the next couple of months.

Saturday and Sunday are the most popular for cruise lines such as Carnival, MSC, Royal Caribbean and NCL and then add to this some other lines.  Most offer 7 days cruises and this way people don't have to take time off from work.

Keith

Many thanks for the kind Bon Voyage wishes and comments. They are very much appreciated. As they say there is no place like home.

We spoke with several guests yesterday including some we have sailed with and some we have met in person for the first time.

The general comment was how well embarkation was handled. We are sailng with a full ship. It was great that the debarkation process went well. The Miami terminal was busy. There were some very large ships in port and the maximum total of 9. Many people I checked with seemed to get their luggage relatively quickly which is always nice.

As always it was wonderful to see not only guests but the amazing Crystal Serenity Crew. There were some surprises as well with some crew here who I didn't think we would see this time around or until we sailed Symphony. The crew is as excited as they were on those first two cruises and their positivity, professionalism and warmth radiates throughout the ship. Thy are truly amazing and the heart and soul of the ship.

I am posting the Reflections Program from yesterday and today.

Cheers,

Keith

IMG_3708.jpeg.c2aa233801a906ffa253f22afca8418b.jpeg

IMG_3709.jpeg.286ded66f27e80c167e9ca7f91269f73.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg.1f2533787d54dd65964e3210ba97f014.jpeg

IMG_3688.jpeg.111a684d3547558828072f71a58f60ab.jpegIMG_3689.jpeg.02d60ac6786c6a4daf76cd6932bc0b19.jpegIMG_3690.jpeg.0b6f79395e65b419159a14acc08eb175.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, happy cruising said:

Keith , did they lower the lighting in umi uma also? Great that they changed out the tablecloths in OO and lowered the lighting - 

I walked into Umi Uma a little while ago and to me they don't look as bright but for me before was not a big deal. I will ask when we dine there but as I say I think they've adjusted them.

Keith

Aloha.  Once again I look forward to your reports and photos. As you may recall my parents were avid Crystal cruisers since its inception and sailed countless times beginning with the Harmony.  As my father is no longer with us and mom unfortunately has dementia at age 90 your love for Crystal and the enjoyment it brings to you and your wife puts a smile on my face and I know my father is reading your posts from heave! I pray that you and the Mrs have many years of health and happiness as you sail the seas.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I walked into Umi Uma a little while ago and to me they don't look as bright but for me before was not a big deal. I will ask when we dine there but as I say I think they've adjusted them.

Keith

Thanks Keith … have a great time and happy holidays . 

34 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha.  Once again I look forward to your reports and photos. As you may recall my parents were avid Crystal cruisers since its inception and sailed countless times beginning with the Harmony.  As my father is no longer with us and mom unfortunately has dementia at age 90 your love for Crystal and the enjoyment it brings to you and your wife puts a smile on my face and I know my father is reading your posts from heave! I pray that you and the Mrs have many years of health and happiness as you sail the seas.

Thank you for your very kind words. They mean a lot.

We were speaking with two couples yesterday after the lifeboat drill about how special Crystal has been to so many people and that includes guests, crew and enrichment and entertainers.  Thankfully new Crystal has returned and I do believe new Crystal is even better.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll post later about dinner from last evening but just wanted to say how much we enjoyed Osteria.  I know. It does't work for everyone but for us it works very well.  In our case, while we enjoyed Prego most of the food there are items we could find in many Italian restaurants in the USA and my wife being half Italian could easily cook and utilize her own recipes some of which were passed down to her.  The items at Osteria are ones you wouldn't find in the majority of restaurants in the USA other than some very high end restaurants.

If you want to dine there ever couple of evenings you will become bored but to me this is why they call this a specialty restaurant.  Waterside's cuisine has been upgraded and some people I know who had issues with Waterside before Crystal is restarted tell me they enjoy Waterside a lot more.

Anyway, we thought the food last night was superb. Food was tasty. Presentation fabulous. Add to this impeccable service and a beautiful dining venue and for us this is a recipe for success.

The veal is now prepared differently and no longer a veal chop and it was a thick cut and very tasty.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

• Like 3

Enjoying the ship this morning catching up with guests and the crew. We feel so at home.
While we were with cruise consultant Andrew next to his desk and outside Waterside was an array of cookies and when we returned to our room the was a nice platter of desserts.

I guess those elves have been very busy.

IMG_3743.thumb.jpeg.3802cb424725bca61d1397de89923ef7.jpeg

IMG_3744.thumb.jpeg.2bee98f56e1ec76d68bb0d571dd242ba.jpeg

Keith
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

IMG_3743.thumb.jpeg.3802cb424725bca61d1397de89923ef7.jpeg

IMG_3744.thumb.jpeg.2bee98f56e1ec76d68bb0d571dd242ba.jpeg

Keith

Nice Christmas cookies. Just today my DH and me are having almost our last Christmas cookies for this year. We start with them at the first advent Sunday and it continues up to the Christmas day on the 25th. We also have the tradition of eating at this time Stolle, panettone and warm cheese empanadas 😋

Ivi

• Like 1