Embarkation lunch options

mare s.

From what I've seen here, the only options for embarkation lunch are the Lido Buffet and, for limited hours, the MDR.   Is Club Orange open for lunch on embarkation day or are any of the other venues?  If it is just the two options I know about, what time does the Lido open?

11 hours ago, mare s. said:

From what I've seen here, the only options for embarkation lunch are the Lido Buffet and, for limited hours, the MDR.

Embarkation Lunch choices based on our experience.....and the ship (some do not have all venues)

MDR

Lido Buffet

Dive In

Dutch Cafe

NY Pizza

Taco bar on Lido

....and yes, ordering our Dive In burgers (& NY Pizza if on your ship) on the app is very efficient especially when busy.....fetch your table and a drink and then it is ready for pick up and you pass by all the buzzer people leaning against the wall.

No matter what is open, we have never gone without substance and lots of choices and it has been delicious.  

Enjoy the cruise........

• Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 4:59 PM, Windsailer said:

The MDR was not open for lunch on the Noordam a month ago. 

The MDR was not open for lunch on the Westerdam in October, after being told to go to the Lido I even went to check myself.

Taking above comments into consideration it seems that embarkation lunch is not handled the same on all the ships.

Edited by cruiseaholic78
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

The MDR was not open for lunch on the Westerdam in October, after being told to go to the Lido I even went to check myself.

Taking above comments into consideration it seems that embarkation lunch is not handled the same on all the ships.

We found some noticeable differences between (for example) the Noordam (one of the oldest ships) and the Rotterdam (newest).

On our August Westerdam cruise, we were all "herded" into the Lido, which I hated.  Lines were long, no tables and everyone was pushy.  Once we left for our room, discovered the Taco bar and Dive In were available.  I felt pretty stupid at that point.  Never again will I follow the herd.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

On our August Westerdam cruise, we were all "herded" into the Lido, which I hated.  Lines were long, no tables and everyone was pushy.  Once we left for our room, discovered the Taco bar and Dive In were available.  I felt pretty stupid at that point.  Never again will I follow the herd.

A big plate of nachos from the Taco Bar is a great and uncrowded way to start a cruise.  FWIW just a few feet away at the Spa entrance is a podium to make Specialty Restaurant reservations

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

They always try to herd people to the Lido, especially if you're in the first group to board and cabins aren't ready yet (yes, they're supposed to be ready but sometimes they aren't). No point in asking if the MDR is open, because they'll tell you no. I just go at noon, and except for one cruise when a bunch of local travel agents were being entertained, the MDR is open.

It's the only day I go there for lunch. I'm happy with a good Lido salad most days, but the first day I reallyl enjoy the quiet of the seated lunch.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

On our August Westerdam cruise, we were all "herded" into the Lido, which I hated.  Lines were long, no tables and everyone was pushy. 

That's exactly why we eat before we board the ship.

It’s been my experience that as as another poster mentioned, even if a staffer says the MDR is closed, check it out..  You might be pleasantly surprised that they are wrong.

As a bonus, the elevators by the MDR  on embark day are MUCH less crowded that those  at the gangway.

Edited by Gunther1
  • Like 4

If you are on a Pinnacle Class ship (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam or Rotterdam,) try heading up to the Panorama Deck. That's deck 10, above the Lido. You have NY Pizza & Deli and the Panorama Bar. The pizza is surprisingly good and made to order. They have two salad options. (DW recommends the Motown salad,sub in Caesar dressing.) The sadmiches are excellent, but order double meat.

17039333097143.thumb.jpg.fb73a6eb7f77d69f1e3065933b1ae1f8.jpg

The pastrami sandwich, which I should have ordered "double meat."

17039334369275.thumb.jpg.5a434b309a81050b6075fd3b769fb577.jpg

Motown salad

17039333991034.thumb.jpg.835bf05405a02d25898404f873ccb623.jpg

Tribeca pizza

While they're making your order, you can grab a drink at the Panorama Bar and any of the plentiful tables. If you want to let your geek flag fly, you can order your food via the Navigator app. That will allow you to head directly to the bar.

From the Panorama Deck, you can look down, both figuratively and literally, at the people scurrying for seats on the Lido Deck. Raise your glass and smugly toast your superior planning & tactics.

17039334369966.thumb.jpg.8ed7140ff31f53425dc3bebfa4a8abf8.jpg

17039334370497.thumb.jpg.4f270848cbf79e0008cdf8394ad14df2.jpg

Hopefully the menu will be readable if you click it. If you are on a phone, you might want to turn it sideways.

20220918_nydp_digital_menu_dietary_restrictions_lunch(3)_00000_updated.thumb.png.b77c95d122780d4b109294c5cacd5804.png

You have no idea how hard it was to resist "Pro-Tip-ping" the crap outta this post. 😉

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4