The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 29th, 2023

kazu

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

In the absence of Malacca photos today here are a few from my 2003 visit to Mongolia.  It was on the train from Moscow to Beijing.

wrld3100.thumb.jpg.6058f38773f664442c5d844eab405ded.jpg

wrld3130.thumb.jpg.b872d077ac3c24d68776fb71aedd4503.jpg

I stayed overnight in this Yurt:

wrld3160.thumb.jpg.82a27659dfcf5eff5afbad7e31665fdc.jpg

wrld3200.jpg.0e16c8900a2c8c1d3e4400bdd61125f7.jpg

wrld3240.jpg.d0f7a8e5092be613f3b26af197ba6e9e.jpg

The train station in the Capitol Ulaan Bator:

wrld3260.thumb.jpg.e85b87c35920049e7f18de45ee1d746f.jpg

And my compartment.  The cars were not sand tight and the crew stuffed towels in the window to keep the sand to a minimum:

wrld3330.thumb.jpg.5486361acfcd6893f65b3c8781c611b3.jpg

Roy

Roy, thanks for the very interesting pictures of Mongolia.  Were you on the trans-Siberian RR?  We saw the train in Vladivostok, and DH talked his way onto the train. He wanted to take it across Russia since he loves train journeys.  When we mentioned that to younger DD, she told her professor of her Russian class.  His comment was, he wouldn't take it.

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, they lived in Donna Texas, we flew into Mc Allen to visit. They took us to South Padre Island and it was just so beautiful. 
It was April and I remember just being so incredibly hot when outside. My son was teaching eighth grade science  and my daughter in law taught fourth grade. They loved Texas and visit often.

I have to admit I was thrilled when they moved back to the east coast for graduate school( son) and medical school respectively. They even lived in NYC during DDIL’s residency.

Thanks for answering my question.  We lived in Corpus Christi for four years in the early 1970s and visited the Valley several times.  

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good morning to all and thanks @kazu Jacqui for the daily and fleet report. We are presently sitting in Gatun Lake offloading the excursions. Beautiful day with less humidity ( less than 90%!) and partially cloudy skies and a smattering of sprinkles.

IMG_3525.thumb.jpeg.b9cb98ef5742bca37ad0c15258478532.jpeg

Got up early to be ready at 0600 to start the Panama Canal crossing. What a lovely time it was. I did do the “swim across the Panama Canal “ in the SeaView pool and will receive a certificate for my endeavor. 

Had a Panama roll with my morning coffee - delicious. We will be returning through the Gatun locks in a couple of hours; we are about an hour and a half behind schedule. No excursion for me as I hopefully will do a full transit next year. 

Had to take some pain relievers after yesterday but feeling okay in preparation for my excursion tomorrow. 

BTW the Arizona Wildcats beat Oklahoma yesterday in the Alamo Bowl 🥰 and I was able to watch the last quarter on the ships tv!  Go Cats!!

@dfishi hope all goes well today. @seagarsmokeri am so sorry you came down with the flu!

Baby Murphy looks wonderful!

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to to celebrating. 

Have a fantastic day everyone!

Pennie, I love the Panama rolls, and they are our breakfast whenever we do a canal transit.  I watched the Arizona - OU game, and was happy they won.  OU was the team that prevented UT from having a perfect season.  It was an interesting game, and until almost the fourth quarter, I was concerned Arizona wasn't going to win since the were ten points behind.  Then they "came alive" and beat OU 38-24.

58 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!  Am I the only one who has visited Malacca?  (On Volendam, in 2014 - 10 years ago!)  We had 28 days in the Far East with DD, and Pat's DS and DBIL.  It was an adventure.

P1050696.thumb.JPG.d3f8134ed7f00dce403ea54945b408b4.JPG

Transportation - but mainly we just walked around.

P1060442.thumb.JPG.53bdd924ed2383c5f6ebd4504e789fb4.JPG

DD found a tree to hug

P1060509.thumb.JPG.85e7c9cd4b84ebf21fecbe766dcf287c.JPG

P1060428.thumb.JPG.0cbcef1e824bb5bdacf3ff585b5d5f1e.JPG

It was all very colourful, preparing for New Year celebrations.  Very hot!

P1050703.thumb.JPG.66bb6e112ed255f4b3ae35fcf9e52db5.JPG

P1050714.thumb.JPG.14f30419d2e942d4580dd9de2c1e2c4a.JPG

P1060502.thumb.JPG.8fdc2d00c0f1bbe788e6a2b7b626ac64.JPG

P1060454.thumb.JPG.5d384ba159693146f765cffa30c10dbb.JPG

P1050717.thumb.JPG.c0f70b82e04d2ad9f85c002f08592924.JPG

P1060838.thumb.JPG.f54d2bee9c5aba4abc287cef844c562f.JPG

P1060819.thumb.JPG.f30039a59f4cc17b7fe3f94c702d3e21.JPG

Ann, thank you for sharing your pictures.  We have been to Kuala Lumpur and Kuantan, but not today's port.

56 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Traveling to AZ to finish a wonderful December. We finished our TA Barcelona-Miami on 12/3/23,  then a week in Seattle (rained all day, every day), home for a day then 10 days in Hawaii (it rained all but 3 hours-we played 9 holes of golf during the brief sunshine ️). Home for Christmas, we spent a quiet weekend in Southern California with family and friends. 

A shout out to all who take care of us while we have time off and holidays, especially the hospice caregivers who took care of DM on 12/24 & 12/25 as she was ‘under the weather’. Looking forward  to one more visit (and 2024!) with DM.

Thank you for all of the posts & pictures. Happy New Year! 

Safe travels and have a good visit with you DM.  I hope there are more visits ahead in 2024.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good  morning! Brr! 36 degrees this morning. Only a few more days of cold weather and then it will be a warm winter. Other than one bag awaiting toiletry kits all bags are packed and at front door.

I have recovered from whatever and now it’s just laying low and awaiting our flight Wednesday.

We have three live Maine lobsters reserved for New Years Eve. We watched Indiana Jones newest sequel last night and it was so so.

The last Friday of the year. It went by fast.

Thanks to all who make the Daily special.

Bruce

image.jpeg.c94bc4ffd27c0e1bba12032360bdbb01.jpegimage.jpeg.c76f9548929abfb837ddcbce2d7e907e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e23074da89b4b1fc6d9e0d5645b88163.jpegimage.jpeg.ca7ed74933b24d094af1cd95575d1d9e.jpegimage.jpeg.5b1dc5e48d467db74ec8fa92f37fd57e.jpegimage.jpeg.afe5434a7e8cfd57807e820e705457dd.jpeg

I also heard that the the yeast infection that attacked the Pillsbury Dough Boy affected his doughnuts! They would not rise in the oven! 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 14

Greetings everyone from Willemstad, Curacao aboard the good ship Zaandam. We arrived yesterday evening rather than earlier this morning to repair the second stern thruster. The dive team has been working on it and the plan is to leave by 11pm tonight for nearby Aruba. 

Hotel General Manager Darren had a nice Q&A in the World Stage yesterday. His first ship nearly 20 years ago was, in fact, the Zaandam and he seems pleased to be back onboard. He credits us for our repeated favorable comments and now high bookings for the two remaining R class ships for Holland America/Carnival  keeping these beauties in the fleet. After 10 days of our 16 day cruise, I confess that I still love them as well. Zaandam is nearly sold out for most of the next several months.Deck 6 forward facing open deck area .

20231226_194503.jpg

20231224_092950.jpg

20231223_172026.jpg

20231228_204800.heic 20231228_191444.heic 20231228_224010.heic 20231228_224930.heic

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon, everyone!

Surgery went well and I am now home relaxing and recovering.  The surgeon said the procedure couldn't have gone any better, so that makes me happy.  My abdomen is very sore and pretty painful.  
There is more pain with this surgery than with the previous two or even the gall bladder surgery.  I will definitely be using the pain meds.  

Thank you all for all the well wishes.  The Daily came through again!

@StLouisCruisers your Antarctica pictures are bringing back great memories of my cruise there in January of 2011.  That was my all time favorite cruise for a long time.  It is now competing with Norway and last summer's cruise.  Sue and I will be going back to Antarctica next January, 2025.  We are preparing by watching shows about penguins and Antarctica.  Last night we watched 8 Below and really liked the movie.  After River goes home we'll watch Endurance.  

@cruising sister Thank you for the picture of Baby Murphy.  She is a cutie for sure and I love her fighting spirit.  

Thanks again, everyone!   

• Like 31
  • Thanks 11

Debbie, great to hear the surgery is over and you're home now.  I hope the pain meds keep it all under control these first few days and you're back to your usual self very soon.  I'm glad you're back on the schedule for another Antarctica cruise.  It's a great one to look forward to. 🐧 I think the cruise lines should be happy we satisfied customers keep that wonderful destination in the forefront.  We must sell a lot of cruises for them!

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Roy, thanks for the very interesting pictures of Mongolia.  Were you on the trans-Siberian RR?  We saw the train in Vladivostok, and DH talked his way onto the train. He wanted to take it across Russia since he loves train journeys.  When we mentioned that to younger DD, she told her professor of her Russian class.  His comment was, he wouldn't take it.

Not exactly the trans-Siberian but part of the trans-Siberian system which includes a number of trains and my journey (Helsinki to Beijing involved several trains and stops.

Helsinki to St Petersburg - a day train

St Petersburg to Moscow {one night)

Moscow to Lake Baikal (I think about 3 nights)

Lake Baikal to Ulan Ude (one night)

Ulan Ude to Ulan Baatar (an overnight plus)

That same service a day or 2 later to Beijing (2 days plus a night)

I believe this would be classified as the Trans Mongolian

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @kazu and @richwmn.

I'll salute Mongolian independence. I know of pepper pot soup but never had any. I'll try to finish whatever needs to be done before year's end. Sweet quote. Pass on the meal (fish) and drink. Yes to the wine. I haven't been to Malacca. 2 good days in history.

It's cloudy here and 40F. There was a spot of sun earlier, but gone now. I slept about 3.5 hours, but had an hour nap yesterday in the recliner. I went to PT this morning and told the therapist I felt I'd lost all the strength I'd gained from earlier months. So we tried some sitting strength exercises. Then stopped at the grocery store, which was crowded. I still haven't heard anything about the procedure, but hopefully I'll hear next week after the holidays. Otherwise just hanging out. I got a couple of books I wanted from BFF for Christmas. And also a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that is a picture of us in Australia, with the Sydney Harbor Bridge in the background.

@seagarsmoker I'm sorry to hear you got sick at the end of your cruise. Rest and feel better.

@grapau27 Thanks for the information. It seems it's been raining there a lot.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos from Antarctica. I'm jealous that you got to set foot on land and get close to penguins, which I didn't. It was still breathtakingly beautiful.

@kazu Be careful working on the driveway with the ice.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you're starting to feel better and the steroids do their job.

@smitty34877 Your meal sounds delicious.

@cruising sister Thanks for sharing the photo of Murphy. She's such a fighter. Prayers for her and her brave parents.

@aliaschief I have that clock radio in a guest bedroom! I think I've had it since college.

@Denise T That's a great goal. I worked hard, but am glad I was able to take time to start traveling.

@Nickelpenny Transiting the Canal is such fun!

@marshhawk You and DH enjoy that time off! 

@RMLincoln Prayers that the condo belongs to someone else today! So nice that you have family nearby. I hope the cortisone cream is continuing to help DH.

@rafinmd That's a great photo @Scrapnana took. Thanks for the Mongolia photos.

@Vict0riann Nice photos from Malacca.

@St Pete Cruiser Thanks for the photos. Zaandam is my favorite too.

@dfish I'm glad surgery went well and you're home now. Get ahead of the pain with pain meds if you can. Relax and recover.

@ottahand7 Continued safe travels.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those with something to Celebrate.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon, I'm taking a lunch break from deep cleaning the kitchen.

We got good news this morning.  Previously we had asked our PCC and the upgrade department if we could upgrade from our BC cabin next week to a B or even BB.  The cost was too high, so we let it go.  Then this morning DH saw that our cabin has changed to a B!  So we're happy campers today, and no extra $$.

Debbie @dfish I'm very glad to hear that the surgery "couldn't have gone better", and that you plan to take advantage of the pain pills.  The trick is always to not let the pain get away from you, always stay ahead of it.  I learned that the hard way 😉  

• Like 26

52 minutes ago, dfish said:

Surgery went well and I am now home relaxing and recovering.  The surgeon said the procedure couldn't have gone any better, so that makes me happy.  My abdomen is very sore and pretty painful.  
There is more pain with this surgery than with the previous two or even the gall bladder surgery.  I will definitely be using the pain meds.  

Great news Debbie!  Especially with your surgeon saying it couldn’t have gone any better 👍 

Sorry to hear about the pain, though.  I hope the pain meds do the trick for you 🤞 

33 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

We made it to Bowling Green.  Heading out for our big meal of the day.  Traffic wasn't bad and no back ups.  

Glad to hear you are there safe and sound 👍 

10 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon, I'm taking a lunch break from deep cleaning the kitchen.

We got good news this morning.  Previously we had asked our PCC and the upgrade department if we could upgrade from our BC cabin next week to a B or even BB.  The cost was too high, so we let it go.  Then this morning DH saw that our cabin has changed to a B!  So we're happy campers today, and no extra $$.

Yippee!  Congrats on the free upgrade 🙂. Very nice, indeed 👍 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Thinking of everyone today. Love the picture of  baby Murphy and everyone’s Xmas photos.

Debbie glad to hear surgery went well.  
@seagarsmoker sorry you have the flu. Hope you feel better soon.

@kazuplease be careful with ice and your hilly driveway.  

Safe travels to all.

I think I caught Gks cold I was up coughing most of the night so just taking it easy today.  I hope it is just a cold. I read you can’t test early for Covid since test will come out negative.  If I get fever etc I will test but for now just staying home.  

Sandy again love those pictures brings back such great memories.  

Thank you to everyone who keeps this thread going.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

@dfishglad to hear all went well

quiet day here and the weekend will be quiet too. We will more than likely be in bed well before midnight! 

rainy, grey, above freezing but they are forecasting colder temps for us over the next few days. Still no snow forecast which is ok with me. The rain will bring the moisture levels up too.

Attached is our Christmas 2021, we stayed outside! Very different this year!

dog gone, not sure why it loaded upside down. Sorry

IMG_0891.jpeg

Edited by superoma
Add
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon, everyone!

Thank you all for all the well wishes.  The Daily came through again!

@StLouisCruisers your Antarctica pictures are bringing back great memories of my cruise there in January of 2011.  That was my all time favorite cruise for a long time.  It is now competing with Norway and last summer's cruise.  Sue and I will be going back to Antarctica next January, 2025.  We are preparing by watching shows about penguins and Antarctica.  Last night we watched 8 Below and really liked the movie.  After River goes home we'll watch Endurance.  

@cruising sister Thank you for the picture of Baby Murphy.  She is a cutie for sure and I love her fighting spirit.  

Thanks again, everyone!   

I'm really pleased for you Debbie that the op went well.

Hopefully your recovery is quick and pain free.

• Like 13

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Good for Mongolia's independence - DH's cousin lived and worked in Ulaanbaatar for a couple of years and has many interesting stories to tell.  I've never had Pepper Pot soup, but would like to try it if someone is inclined to make it for me.  Tick tock, yes, the year is ticking down to it's final few days now.

Got a rather late start, as neither DH nor I had a great night - he was coughing and because he was so stuffed up, wasn't using his CPAP either, so there was much noise coming from his side of the bed.  He was up rummaging around for cough drops at 3:15 which totally woke me up and the last time I looked at the clock, it was 5:30.  I must have dozed off again because the next thing I knew it was 8:35.  

We were moving slow, but had to get a couple of things done - I had to go for a pre-exam x-ray before seeing the orthopedic surgeon on the 3rd, and DH needed to pick up a couple of things because we realized he'd left his toiletries case in Calgary.  His case, along with a small bag of laundry (oh dear!) were left in a gift bag . . . seriously, who puts laundry in a gift bag??? . . . in the bedroom.  DH's electric razor was in the case, so he needed to buy batteries for his little travel razor that he takes when we go on vacation.  Might as well get them now, as he's going to need them in February anyway.

@cruising sisterthank you for the beautiful photo of our little fighter, Murphy!

@dfishI'm so glad your surgery is over and you're home.  Just take it easy, take the pain medication and recover fully before trying to do anything else.

I'm passing on the drink of the day, would like the menu suggestion, as I really like broccolini, and am pretty sure I'd like the wine.  I know Friday night is traditionally pizza night at our house, but we'll be enjoying some of the turkey soup I brought back from Calgary with crusty buns at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 21

Happy last Friday of 2023.  It's another nearly 40 degree day here.  Still no snow, but it was misty/rainy all day yesterday.  Not sure about the meal, the drink today sounds like it might be good.  I remember slow-poke suckers from my childhood days!  

@dfishSo happy to hear your surgery went well today.  Take those pain meds if needed!  @smitty34877I'd eat some herring with you, don't buy it anymore because no one else will eat it!  

@StLouisCruisersThose pictures from Antarctica are amazing, that was an awesome adventure for sure! 

@cruising sisterBaby Murphy looks like she's waving at all of us, so precious! 

@seagarsmokerSorry to hear you're sick with the flu, hope you feel better very soon! 

@aliaschiefWe still have 2 of those alarm clocks. They still work, but I use my phone when I need a wakeup alarm.  

@marshhawkEnjoy your days off!  

Have a good evening, good thoughts for all who need them and cheers for those celebrating.  Karen

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3