Thumbs Down on HAL Customer Service

After returning from an October cruise, I noticed an overcharge on my statement of $11. Following the information on the HAL website, I sent an email explaining the problem and requesting a refund. The response was a "form letter" stating that it might take 10-12 weeks for them to respond. After about 6 weeks, I sent a follow-up email, same form response. After that nothing.

Fast forward to January 3. Called the HAL customer service number. After a few minutes on hold, I ended talking with a reservations agent. After a bit of back and forth and some rudeness from said agent, she offered to connect me with customer service and would wait until that happened. After 55 minutes wait, I hung up.

Given that it appears impossible to reach these folks, my plan is to bring it up at check-in for my next cruise in late January, when I will have a real live human being in front of me. And I plan to ask for a bottle of wine for my trouble.

Neal

• Haha 3

You need to remember that the person who assists you with check in is an employee of the handling agent and not HAL. You said the error on your account occurred on a cruise in October. When in October? Even if at the beginning of the month the 12 week limit has barely passed. The time frame quoted to you in the original communication is a best estimate and not a deadline for action. Also, we are talking about $11 here. Not a worrisome amount and as frustrating as it is I don’t think it has altered your lifestyle. Choose your battles carefully. As for your compensation…I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Bon voyage!

• Like 16

You may have luck with guest services on the ship. At least they may give you $11 OBC since it won't need to go through accounting to credit card. But you will probably need to use it or lose it (non refundable).  I had to get them to call Seattle on a different issue and they resolved it. 

• Like 1

I used to have luck contacting the HAL folks in Seattle, but it seems to me that ship has sailed, no pun intended. When you dial the Seattle numbers now you usually get a person from another country on the the other end , they are usually polite and try hard but do not have the experience or know how to get your situation resolved in such a manner that you have a confident feeling when you hang up your phone after speaking with them.

• Like 1

As @kirkc mentioned, the folks at the check-in desk do not actually work for HAL and honestly their responsibility is to make sure that you are completely checked-in with the required travel documents.  So unfortunately they can not assist you in this matter, nor can they request a bottle of wine (or anything else) to be sent to your stateroom.

• Like 2

My personal policy is not to sweat things like this if the amount is pretty insignificant.  I would never sit on hold for 55 minutes over an $11 refund.  I'd take the loss and move on.  Frankly, I don't think I'd have even bothered to send the initial email, let alone post about it. I'd worry that posting about it would reflect worse on me than on HAL Customer Service.

It's not a zero mistake world, and if missing out on an $11 refund is the worse thing that happens to me in 2024 it will be a pretty good year.

But that's just me.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, kirkc said:

Also, we are talking about $11 here. Not a worrisome amount and as frustrating as it is I don’t think it has altered your lifestyle. Choose your battles carefully. As for your compensation…I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Oh I get all you are saying. I'll do what I can with it. It's just a poor way to treat loyal customers.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Just out of general curiosity, what dollar value do you put on an hour of your time?

I was doing something else while waiting. That's the value of speaker phones.

Edited by WVU_Neal
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WVU_Neal said:

I was doing something else while waiting. That's the value of speaker phones.

I get it, but it's not just the 55-minute phone call. It's the original email, the follow-up email, composing this thread, thinking about it, etc. etc. I'm simply curious what value you put on the time and stress?

Posted (edited)

You sent two emails, and haven't given them enough time to respond.

Wait 2 months and then call them back if you really think it's worth it, but don't expect any more than your original $11 back. Customer service everywhere is nothing like it used to be. Sadly, its the new norm.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's probably the principle not the amount, but at some point you have to figure 'Is it worth it?'

I think a lot of companies (especially airlines) make things like this extremely difficult on purpose (and finally stop responding) in the hope the customer just 'give up'. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Bill B said:

It's probably the principle not the amount, but at some point you have to figure 'Is it worth it?'

I think a lot of companies (especially airlines) make things like this extremely difficult on purpose (and finally stop responding) in the hope the customer just 'give up'. 

Exactly and not worth any more effort. Except that I certainly might have a talk with a HAL person when I get to the ship. 

My point was to mention the poor level of service from HAL. 

That is all. Over and out. 😎

• Like 4

From years of working in a call center many  years ago, I always stress the importance of documentation when somebody calls: write down the date, time, details (facts, not opinions) and most importantly, the name (or agent number, etc, if they refuse to give their name) of the person you talk to in prior conversations.

Save any screen shots of any on line chats, also.  They have a mysterious way of not being retrievable.

It greatly increases the likelihood of a customer being taken seriously  if they have proof of their prior attempts to write a wrong.

This isn’t intended just for you: EVERYBODY should do this when doing battle with a faceless corporation.  Trust me….it helps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gunther1 said:

This isn’t intended just for you: EVERYBODY should do this when doing battle with a faceless corporation.  Trust me….it helps.

Personally NOT doing battle with a faceless corporation over $11 on a transaction of thousands of dollars seems a wiser choice.

• Like 3

Personally, I would eat the $11 and lesson learned..check your account on the app or stateroom tv every day on board for any errors or overcharges.

• Like 2

That has happened to me too, but way too much trouble to chase it.  I get tired of overcharges in my daily life, even at the grocery store, but made a decision a while ago to let it go.

• Like 2

The question not answered is when was the charge?  Was it added after you walked off of the ship?  Was it added the very last day or was it on your bill and overlooked until you were home?  Whether it is $11 or $1100 it is his not HAL’s and he is right to bring up this matter.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Just out of general curiosity, what dollar value do you put on an hour of your time?

Since retirement, my hourly rate has gone down some.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Bill B said:

The amount may be small but companies need to be held to account. HAL seems to have a recurring issue with “overcharges” which sometimes leads me to wonder if it is a sort of unofficial policy. After all, if every passenger onboard gets an average $11 overcharge….

Most charges are viewable before disembarking but some seem to show up later. I’ve been charged for minibar items after checkout — which, incidentally, were not accurate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As @kirkc mentioned, the folks at the check-in desk do not actually work for HAL and honestly their responsibility is to make sure that you are completely checked-in with the required travel documents.  So unfortunately they can not assist you in this matter, nor can they request a bottle of wine (or anything else) to be sent to your stateroom.

I just had a situation in Fort Lauderdale.  The people at the pier checkin were not able to help, so I had to wait until I boarded and go RIGHT TO the service/front desk were they fixed things up.  There will be a line, so go ASAP.

15 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

And trying to get them to handle a problem like this will only hold up your check in and others in line behind you. Wait until you get on the ship and take it up with guest services.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CNSJ said:

Since retirement, my hourly rate has gone down some.....

As I get older, and my days on this Earth get less and less, I find it going up significantly.

• Like 3