New format test

Just now, Charles4515 said:

You can't vote for yourself. On R you can buy votes but I think that is against their rules but rules get broken. 

I missed your previous comment about how to sort and was actually editing my post as you were typing I think.   Not sure what "R" is?    

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

I missed your previous comment about how to sort and was actually editing my post as you were typing I think.   Not sure what "R" is?    

Not sure, but I think R is probably Reddit.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Not sure, but I think R is probably Reddit.

Thanks.  I looked at Reddit for the first time after it was mentioned earlier in this thread.  To be fair, I kind of just skipped around the site.  It seems like a place for people to rant.  

If campaigning is allowed, I suggest we all vote Yes on post #4 (get rid of this format).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't want to respond immediately as I know sometimes changes seem unnecessary at first but after you try them a few times they make more sense. I also know communities are resistant to changes much of the time....

That said, I have not warmed to this change. I truly do think Cruise Critic is quite different from a reddit or Quora, where the general plot line is that a bunch of answers are given, some good and some not so good. In that case upvoting MIGHT help someone figure out which answers are the best or most valid.

In the case of Cruise Critic, it is mostly experienced cruisers answering questions, not Joe Q. Public, and many answers build on the info given by others. 

I just don't think this particular format works. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LauraS said:

Thanks for the feedback, this is just a test.  This type of upvoting on answers to questions appears to be very popular on other forums such as reddit. 

And no one is in trouble.... really do appreciate this feedback.

Before, thread content was sorted by most recent comments.  We could easily see the date of the most recent comment and who made it.   Now we can sort by most recent but have no idea how old the most recent comment might be.  It is very cumbersome.  

The voting is likely to turn into a popularity contest for a huge number of topics.  Any comparison type thread is likely to be completely biased.  Dress code or tipping threads will be a voting disaster because the snarkiest posts are likely to get the most votes.  I belong to another popular boating forum that shows the "most popular" post (based on "likes") at the top of the thread kind of like a sticky.  The remainder of the posts are similar to CC's previous format. 

If you really must have votes, why not add that function while retaining the previous format that worked for everyone.  Or make a count of "likes" to identify the most popular posts.  Then a sort by votes or likes can be used for those who care about it.    

I think it is a mistake to think of Cruise Critic as a Q&A forum with a best answer.  Some threads are that but most are back and forth conversations among people who share an interest in cruising.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

When I spell it out the forum algorithm seems to force the mods to apporove the post. Since we are discussing an R feature, not steering people to use  R for cruise discussion I thought I would save them some work. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LauraS said:

The actual intention is for the correct answer to be upvoted -- it shouldn't be about the user at all.  

There are two threads happening about his topic, so there is some overlap.  Perhaps they should be combined.  

With regards the "correct answer", many (most) threads are conversations about opinions/preferences.  There is no "correct answer".  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

If it ain't broken then don't fix it!

Awful awful interface.

I've seen other sites with this format and I avoid them like the plague.

Well, I guess I am in the minority in that I like it.  I don’t often visit this section of the board but this new feature will keep me coming back so that I can test it thoroughly.

Most people don’t like change but I didn’t think I’d see such sweeping dislike for it.  Or maybe the people who don’t mind, just aren’t chiming in as yet.  I didn’t notice an explanation announcement so maybe the hate is for the surprise of it all.

So far, I like it.  👍

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

With regards the "correct answer", many (most) threads are conversations about opinions/preferences.  There is no "correct answer".  

Well described. A dialogue. Occasionally there are 'wrong answers' but generally it's different experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  I looked at Reddit for the first time after it was mentioned earlier in this thread.  To be fair, I kind of just skipped around the site.  It seems like a place for people to rant.  

If campaigning is allowed, I suggest we all vote Yes on post #4 (get rid of this format).  

Sounds just great.

Um, SOUNDS great, but... 

... how do we now figure out which post is the "post #4" that you were referring to?

Are the CC powers REALLY going to mess this up through the end of the week?

That pretty much makes any entries through that time useless.

I just LOVE the idea of someone writing something like, 

"I agree!  That's just what we do, and I *strongly* recommend it!"

.... except... how would we know, with the New Improved [***NOT***] formatting?

I'm sure this is an especially realistic nightmare.

Surely NO ONE could think that "Reddit" is a useful model for CruiseCritic.

Most of Reddit isn't useful for much of anything.

But what do I know?  I've never posted on Reddit, and only "find it" sometimes when I'm using Google to do a search... and I do NOT look to any of the "Reddits" as a "source of information", to put it mildly.

About that "pre-testing" I asked about up front/at the top... unless that's now at the bottom??

😡

I'm sure I'm not alone in not even understanding what "upvoting" is.

How does that differ from "voting"?

Oh, I got it: IT SORTS THE POSTS TO *ELIMINATE* ANY LOGIC to the stream of posts!

Well done! 😱

(*not*)

Sigh.

GC

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Well, I guess I am in the minority in that I like it.  I don’t often visit this section of the board but this new feature will keep me coming back so that I can test it thoroughly.

Most people don’t like change but I didn’t think I’d see such sweeping dislike for it.  Or maybe the people who don’t mind, just aren’t chiming in as yet.  I didn’t notice an explanation announcement so maybe the hate is for the surprise of it all.

So far, I like it.  👍

You say that you don't often visit this section of the board, but that you like this new feature and that it will keep you coming back so that you can test it thoroughly.  Not sure I understand what you mean by coming back to test it thoroughly?  

And please explain, if you don't mind, what it is about this change that you do like? 

Not challenging - just curious and wanting enlightenment.  Especially as I am one who in the past has visited this board frequently and see absolutely no value whatsoever in it.  What is - as an infrequent user of the site - the positive benefit you see to us with the change?  Again, I am only asking as I am curious to understand.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And the negative comments just keep coming.

I have not seen a single positive comment.

I have actually now saw 1 positive comment, but the reaction is still overwhelmingly negative.

2 hours ago, LauraS said:

The actual intention is for the correct answer to be upvoted -- it shouldn't be about the user at all.  

Here is THE problem, or one of them...

Since when is there a single "THE CORRECT ANSWER"?

Okay, MY preference about meal times or whatever is THE CORRECT ONE!

🎉 Nice! 🎉

GC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You say that you don't often visit this section of the board, but that you like this new feature and that it will keep you coming back so that you can test it thoroughly.  Not sure I understand what you mean by coming back to test it thoroughly?  

I very rarely visit the “Ask a Cruise Question” section of the board.  Now that I see a new feature I will visit more often to better familiarize myself with it in order to provide thoughtful feedback.

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

And please explain, if you don't mind, what it is about this change that you do like? 

I like the tabs which section off “Questions With No Best Answer” and “Popular Questions…”.  No Best Answer allows me to see at a glance whether I can be of any help, however this is only useful if someone really is looking for help or if they’re just wanting to ask a question to start a new thread and chat.  (Which seems to be the most popular use of this sub-forum; hence why I don’t visit this section very often.)

Up-voting is useful for when you’re genuinely searching for an answer, but not so useful when the question is just for chat purposes.

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I very rarely visit the “Ask a Cruise Question” section of the board.  Now that I see a new feature I will visit more often to better familiarize myself with it in order to provide thoughtful feedback.

I like the tabs which section off “Questions With No Best Answer” and “Popular Questions…”.  No Best Answer allows me to see at a glance whether I can be of any help, however this is only useful if someone really is looking for help or if they’re just wanting to ask a question to start a new thread and chat.  (Which seems to be the most popular use of this sub-forum; hence why I don’t visit this section very often.)

Up-voting is useful for when you’re genuinely searching for an answer, but not so useful when the question is just for chat purposes.

The fatal flaw I see with upvoting and "best answer" is just because someone "votes" or likes an answer does not necessarily mean that it is the correct or best answer.  It is all very subjective IMO with little objectivity involved.  It also disrupts the context of the thread by moving the more "popular" answers up on the thread where they may be seen first, but with little context in which the response was provided.  Its nothing more than a popularity contest IMO with those who post more frequently likely getting more recognition.  I don't see the informative value in that.

But that all being said, while I may not agree with your perspective, I do appreciate your response.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Most of Reddit isn't useful for much of anything.

But what do I know?  I've never posted on Reddit, and only "find it" sometimes when I'm using Google to do a search... and I do NOT look to any of the "Reddits" as a "source of information", to put it mildly.

I disagree. That site is very useful  as a source for information. It often comes up in Google searches. But I don’t pay attention to the upvotes. I don’t find the upvotes there of any value. I have to read all the replies. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The fatal flaw I see with upvoting and "best answer" is just because someone "votes" or likes an answer does not necessarily mean that it is the correct or best answer.  It is all very subjective IMO with little objectivity involved.  It also disrupts the context of the thread by moving the more "popular" answers up on the thread where they may be seen first, but with little context in which the response was provided.  Its nothing more than a popularity contest IMO with those who post more frequently likely getting more recognition.  I don't see the informative value in that.

Yes, this is true and would require moderation to keep it clean.  Right now, it is all very vague in terms of rules and expectations.  The sandbox has been opened for play and they’re looking for feedback.

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes, this is true and would require moderation to keep it clean.  Right now, it is all very vague in terms of rules and expectations.  The sandbox has been opened for play and they’re looking for feedback.

Not sure how the mods would confirm the accuracy of the responses and control the voting, and the power of deletion would be the only way to moderate the responses. Kind of chasing their tales.

But to me the bigger issue is that which you point out that it is all very vague in terms of rules and expectations.  They should have figured this all out first with firm explanations of what they hope to achieve by these changes instead of "opening up the sandbox for play" and determining their next steps based on feedback.  Very sloppy and not good business thought, and kind of putting the cart before the horse IMO.

But again, thanks for your input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It has only been a day or so so I guess it is fair to give the test more time but I don’t see anyone upvoting. Right now it look like zero upvotes. I did plan a couple of hours and then withdrew my upvotes. All they did was change up the sorting by date, sorting by date is what I prefer. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not sure how the mods would confirm the accuracy of the responses and control the voting, and the power of deletion would be the only way to moderate the responses. Kind of chasing their tales.

But to me the bigger issue is that which you point out that it is all very vague in terms of rules and expectations.  They should have figured this all out first with firm explanations of what they hope to achieve by these changes instead of "opening up the sandbox for play" and determining their next steps based on feedback.  Very sloppy and not good business thought, and kind of putting the cart before the horse IMO.

But again, thanks for your input.

I think if it was limited to a select few volunteers who were willing to test it out and provide thoughtful feedback, it would allow those who were involuntarily thrown into the mix to continue to post without having to grapple with the changes.

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It has only been a day or so so I guess it is fair to give the test more time but I don’t see anyone upvoting. Right now it look like zero upvotes. I did plan a couple of hours and then withdrew my upvotes. All they did was change up the sorting by date, sorting by date is what I prefer. 

It doesn’t appear as though the upvote tally feature has been turned on for public viewing; at least that I can see.

6 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It doesn’t appear as though the upvote tally feature has been turned on for public viewing; at least that I can see.

It is on for individual posts. I see upvotes now. Some have done upvotes. It just isn’t in the tally where I was looking. So why have both upvotes and Likes?