What happened to real butter?

JerseyShore

30 minutes ago, JerseyShore said:

Just off the Discovery…what happened to “real” butter in the MDR?   We asked our waiters for some & they said what was on the table was all they are serving now.   It WAS not butter. 

Tastes like butter to me just not like European butter

• Like 1

I don't know what that stuff is their serving in the DR is  but it's absolutely terrible. 

So bad, that we started bringing the butter from the buffet each evening with us. At least it had some flavor. 

• Like 4

Actually, unsalted butter is what good chefs and bakers use.  We gave up salted butter years ago.  We will not touch margarine.  It will be interesting to see what the CB offers on our March cruise.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

On my  recent cruise it was unsalted butter, more like plain grease. I asked for salted normal butter and every dinner they had a small dish with my "special butter" for me. 

Then why eat it?

I asked for butter on both the Ruby and the Enchanted, like they serve at the buffet, and they told me that it wasn't available in the DR. 

So se carried our own with us each night.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

On my  recent cruise it was unsalted butter, more like plain grease. I asked for salted normal butter and every dinner they had a small dish with my "special butter" for me. 

I salted is what we use at home much better than salted. Americans use too much salt as it is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm in the "all I use at home is unsalted butter" camp, so the MDR butter tastes just fine to me.  You can always just sprinkle a little salt on unsalted butter you put on a dinner roll. 

At least the butter in the MDR is soft, unlike the hard rocks of butter in the buffet at breakfast time.

I'll bet that if you go on X, NCL, Virgin, Oceana, or Silverseas, you'll get the same unsalted butter in the MDR.

• Like 3

Tip....  

That dairy does not need to be processed and inundated with salt.

buy pure good quality Unsalted butter...

A quick dash of salt before using...  Perfect!!!!

PS:  I am not sure that we always find good butter on the buffet.

Maybe at breakfast is a more likely time to find it.

But, yes, I have 'collected' butter from there and brought it to the dining room!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Back when the first "butter" thread started (4 years ago?), some posted that they bring their own.

Hmm.  Interesting.  Sad, but interesting. 

Wondering if they indeed did that, it was a handful of individually wrapped pats of their favorite butter grabbed from their most recent diner visit. 

Just find a spot in your suitcase (maybe in your shoes to keep the butter from mashing-up) and then carry to the dining room to enjoy your buttered rolls just like home..uggh. 😜

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, mevs904 said:

Actually, unsalted butter is what good chefs and bakers use.  We gave up salted butter years ago.  We will not touch margarine.  It will be interesting to see what the CB offers on our March cruise.

Unsalted butter is fine for baking. For eating I want my butter salted. We dumped margarine many years ago.

I miss the individually foil wrapped pats of butter. I could hold them in my closed hand for a short while and they became soft enough to spread easily.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 7