Enhanced elevator system

9 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Try not to over think it - The elevator system does the thinking for you 

It really isn’t complicated and software does it all for you 

Nancy.

And it works well 

Wasn't overthinking anything . The video gave me my answer . Looks like a very interesting concept that should work well in most cases .

I can't see that it would eliminate the chaos in situations where the vast majority are heading to deck 2 for Example to exit on a port day .  Am I mistaken ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Wasn't overthinking anything . The video gave me my answer . Looks like a very interesting concept that should work well in most cases .

I can't see that it would eliminate the chaos in situations where the vast majority are heading to deck 2 for Example to exit on a port day .  Am I mistaken ?

I would anticipate it improves the experience for majority of situations, however, It's inevitable that there will be situations it can result in a longer wait. I would expect the longer wait to be outside the elevator vs. Standing in the elevator which for me is preferable. 

Edited by SUgwoz
  • Like 2

I like the concept, though I wonder how the computer knows how much space to allocate for your party during busy times.  The article I read said said when the elevator arrives, there will be space for you.  Hypothetically when I approach the keypad I might need an elevator for a spouse, a big stroller, 3 kids, a grandparent on a scooter and myself; we will pretty much fill an elevator. If there was space for all of us, there probably would not be space for anyone else the computer may have wanted to include on our route. The next time I approach that keypad, I might be alone.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 3

I guess if you're a large party, and can't all fit, once the doors close, you request another elevator. 

I know sometimes on MSC, the display will say something to the effect of "there are no elevators available," hopefully Royal's system is an improvement. 

23 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I like the concept, though I wonder how the computer knows how much space to allocate for your party during busy times.  The article I read said said when the elevator arrives, there will be space for you.  Hypothetically when I approach the keypad I might need an elevator for a spouse, a big stroller, 3 kids, a grandparent on a scooter and myself; we will pretty much fill an elevator. If there was space for all of us, there probably would not be space for anyone else the computer may have wanted to include on our route. The next time I approach that keypad, I might be alone.

I am also seeing the inevitable UGLY side to the human element , where in busy times they will do as they do now and just jump ahead of people even if they were last to the party.

I've witnessed some classless people for sure.

Very intriguing though , and anxious to see this in action in the near future . It definitely sounds like it will more often than not be a notable improvement.

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

Port days you go to deck 5 and the escalators take you to the gangway...super easy. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I'm guessing it foes by weight.  Start at 5, so msnynpeople get ion it knows not to allow people from 7,8 and 9 on the elevator. 

8 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

I am also seeing the inevitable UGLY side to the human element , where in busy times they will do as they do now and just jump ahead of people even if they were last to the party.

I've witnessed some classless people for sure.

Very intriguing though , and anxious to see this in action in the near future . It definitely sounds like it will more often than not be a notable improvement.

On board and using this for 3 days and it's the most civilized elevator service I've seen on a ship.  

• Like 5

Current ship elevators: It's a taxi. You call for the taxi, then when the taxi gets there, you tell the driver where you want to go.

New elevators: It's Uber/Lyft. You tell the uber where you want to go beforehand, and someone comes and gets you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

On board and using this for 3 days and it's the most civilized elevator service I've seen on a ship.  

And it's not a new concept, so hopefully kinks are already worked out. A lot of high rises use this type of elevator. Thankfully it's finally coming to ships.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

There is no perfect solution.  Even if you had buttons that choose how many people and got into specifics of scooter/stroller.  Inevitably, you have adults/kids/scooters/strollers of various sizes.  

I suppose the most efficient manner would be to have everyone enter in their dimensions and weights or stand on a scale.  I am guessing most wouldn't be on board for that though.

34 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Current ship elevators: It's a local bus. You wave down the bus driver, but it may already be full and sometimes it makes all the stops to the destination.

New elevators: It's Uber/Lyft. You tell the uber where you want to go beforehand, and someone comes and gets you.

Fixed.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Royal copied MSC - for sure 😉

Add in the override for Star class and they will have perfected it exactly 

Nancy 👍🏻

Carnival also has this smart elevator system on a few of their ships too. It looks like everyone is copying each other 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Carnival also has this smart elevator system on a few of their ships too. It looks like everyone is copying each other 

Yes, I recall experiencing it on Carnival Horizon in 2019. 

Enjoy, all.

• Like 1

So, you're on deck 7 and want to go to deck 11.  You get to the elevator lobby and select '11'.  You're assigned Elevator E.  When that elevator gets there, the doors open, you step on and you're taken to deck 11. Do I have that right?

So, what about the person on deck 5 that wants to go to deck 11 and hit their button at the same time?  Do they get assigned Elevator E also (because the AI knows you're both going the same place)?  In which case, it's not a point to point for them, they have to stop on 7.  Or do they get assigned Elevator A, so now you have two elevators, possibly with only one person each both going to the same location? 

I'm not sure how it stop kids from hitting elevator buttons.  Why couldn't they hit all the buttons in the lobby and tie up ALL of the elevators? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So, you're on deck 7 and want to go to deck 11.  You get to the elevator lobby and select '11'.  You're assigned Elevator E.  When that elevator gets there, the doors open, you step on and you're taken to deck 11. Do I have that right?

yes that is right 

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So, what about the person on deck 5 that wants to go to deck 11 and hit their button at the same time?  Do they get assigned Elevator E also (because the AI knows you're both going the same place)?  In which case, it's not a point to point for them, they have to stop on 7.  Or do they get assigned Elevator A, so now you have two elevators, possibly with only one person each both going to the same location? 

they get assigned a new elevator like elevator a. one elevator is going down from 11 and another elevator is going up to 11. similar to how current elevator works right now 

4 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm not sure how it stop kids from hitting elevator buttons.  Why couldn't they hit all the buttons in the lobby and tie up ALL of the elevators? 

its going to reduce the tie up of all elevator. if they hit all of the buttons depending on what deck they on, it will assign the same elevator letter. 

2 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

How about the mass of humanity headed for elevators after a performance in the theater or the Aqua and ice skating shows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Once is enough 

That’s a rumor and holds no truth 

HOWEVER, if multiple parties of 6 people press for the same floor, the system doesn't know that the parties have 6 people so you *could* end up with an overly full elevator. I've had it happen to me at the Marriott Marquis in Manhattan where there were way too many people waiting for an elevator because each party only pressed it once.

I wish there was a system where you entered your desired floor and then the number of people in your party - but so far no dice on that. So the possibility does exist that you could have to repeat the process.