What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

That may say as much about the quality of the institution(s) where he taught as about his educational qualifications.

The college that I referenced is one of the very best in the entire US.

After leaving there he taught at a college in PA that I am familiar with but do not know anything about the school.

14 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

After leaving there he taught at a college in PA that I am familiar with but do not know anything about the school.

Speaking of best colleges and politics these days brings to mind of how carefully people should keep their eyes on changing political fashions -  Gay, of Harvard and Magill of Penn (both Ivy League and generally recognized as among the “very best ) recently learned something.

Edited by navybankerteacher

2 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

Yes, I retired as an air traffic controller in the FAA and I always hate when people ask me what I do/did. I try to get away with saying that I worked for the government. When they push it and I finally tell them what I did, the first thing that 9 out of 10 of them will say is, oh, that must have been stressful. I always hate that because I know that statement is coming and I don't have the heart to say that 90% of the time, that it wasn't!!!

Whereas I'd pepper you with a whole bunch of non-security questions. LOL.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

He was actually the best Professor that I ever encountered in all my years of higher education .He was absolutely brilliant.

I remember when I was in high school many many years ago I had a teacher who when I disagreed w him about something (can't remember what) he sent me to the cloak room and made me stand there for the period.  Your professor sounds like that teacher.  With regard to his 60 years of teaching that does not prove that he was a good teacher. Remember that once you get tenure at a university there is almost no way that they can get rid of you.  At least that was the way it used to be.  Maybe not so much now.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

Yes, I retired as an air traffic controller in the FAA and I always hate when people ask me what I do/did. I try to get away with saying that I worked for the government. When they push it and I finally tell them what I did, the first thing that 9 out of 10 of them will say is, oh, that must have been stressful. I always hate that because I know that statement is coming and I don't have the heart to say that 90% of the time, that it wasn't!!!

But that other 10% must have been very interesting.

• Like 1

We were on a Transatlantic that sailed out of Houston. Everyone at our table was from Texas, and it was right before the 2016 presidential election. We were from a critical "swing" state. Finally, someone figured out that our political views aligned with theirs, and then they revealed that they had been tentative and wondering about us. I have never even held a gun, which they thought was bizarre.

Once we acknowledged our political alliances, the whole atmosphere opened up. I usually don't talk politics, but this time it worked out.

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Speaking of best colleges and politics these days brings to mind of how carefully people should keep their eyes on changing political fashions -  Gay, of Harvard and Magill of Penn (both Ivy League and generally recognized as among the “very best ) recently learned something.

The best at being useful fools. 

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not impressed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I took an Elective in Latin American History in my Senior year of college.

On the first day the Professor let everyone in the class know that he would be teaching the class from his political point of view.He explained that he was giving anyone who wished the opportunity to drop the course without penalty if they so desired.Three students did so.

When going through school I appreciated professors who were quite open about their political views. It allowed me to tailor my comments, questions and submissions to appeal to their biases and reduce the risk of lower grades because my views might offend them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

When going through school I appreciated professors who were quite open about their political views. It allowed me to tailor my comments, questions and submissions to appeal to their biases and reduce the risk of lower grades because my views might offend them.

I thought that posts of politics are forbidden on CC ?

11 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I remember when I was in high school many many years ago I had a teacher who when I disagreed w him about something (can't remember what) he sent me to the cloak room and made me stand there for the period.  Your professor sounds like that teacher.  With regard to his 60 years of teaching that does not prove that he was a good teacher. Remember that once you get tenure at a university there is almost no way that they can get rid of you.  At least that was the way it used to be.  Maybe not so much now.

DON

Everyone who I knew who took a class with Professor S.all thought he was great.

I had an excellent education there.I had a dual major of Psychology and Sociology ,a Minor in English with a concentration in Literature.

My GPA at graduation was 3.59 out of 4.00.I took the GRE and only had one wrong answer.I was the only student to have achieved that .

I've worked in federal government for 30 years and have held the highest clearances.  C'mon.  The whole "can't talk about it" is such a movie line.  There are obviously things that can't be discussed due to classification, but I've never had a problem talking about my career when asked.  Guess I'm just proud of what I do. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I find I can discuss that I was at the original Woodstock Festival.

Okay, I’m hugely impressed, and I’d be thrilled to talk about things like that at dinner! Beats politics any day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

"WOW!" that I was there, or "WOW!" that I can discuss that? 

That's two of the WOWs and a WOW that we're in the same age group. Probably. Oh, and WOW that you still remember it 🙂

15 hours ago, clo said:

Whereas I'd pepper you with a whole bunch of non-security questions. LOL.

I wouldn't mind explaining anything about the job. I just hate it when the first thing that someone says is "That must have been a stressfull job"!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But that other 10% must have been very interesting.

Yes, that is when we earned the money. Usually things are pretty canned, i.e. everyone on the same, route, speed, etc. It is when the thunderstorms and turbulence come along that we earn our pay!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

I've worked in federal government for 30 years and have held the highest clearances.  C'mon.  The whole "can't talk about it" is such a movie line.  There are obviously things that can't be discussed due to classification, but I've never had a problem talking about my career when asked.  Guess I'm just proud of what I do. 🤷‍♂️

There are federal careers (especially in the intelligence community and certain military occupations) that can't be disclosed even to family at times.  And for some, that restriction continues into retirement.  That's not to say they aren't proud of what they do. 

• Like 1