How to "Move Up"?

39august

Move Up opening timing for bid time seems to vary.  We have a one booking that Move Up opened at about 75 days out.  There were a lot of unsold cabins, particularly suites.  Another we are under 40 days and no Move Up yet.

1 hour ago, 39august said:

There is nothing on my reservation to make an offer to move up. Going in about 60 days. How do I do this, please?

My wife received an email from Celebrity that offered her (as the primary contact for our cruise) the upgrade option on our cruise a few years ago. After discussing it, she placed a bid and we won 🥳

I do not recall exactly how early that email arrived vs. our departure, but I doubt it was more than 45 days beforehand. As @jelayne notes, the timing varies and probably depends on the need to sell those cabins as departure approaches.

If you do receive the move-up "invitation," you should be able to then discern a min-max range for you to offer as a bid. We bid high, which is the general advice, but it all depends on how much Celebrity suggests, how much you want the upgraded cabin, etc.

Hope this helps!

cjr

The suggestion of a bid from Celebrity is based on what they want you to pay, lol. BTW: today--only 14 days ahead of our cruise--I got a Move Up offer, They were taking bids in every category of suite. I called me TA, who told me the entire ship is completely sold out!!

16 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

The suggestion of a bid from Celebrity is based on what they want you to pay, lol. BTW: today--only 14 days ahead of our cruise--I got a Move Up offer, They were taking bids in every category of suite. I called me TA, who told me the entire ship is completely sold out!!

they do this n case of no shows

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ddy123 said:

Is the suggestion of a bid from Celebrity based on other bids they have?

No.  I've personally seen minimum amounts increase and others have reported they've seen minimum amounts decrease.  All we can do is speculate and what makes the most logical sense is it changes based on room type occupancy but that's just my WAG ("Wild A$$ Guess")

Bid with what you feel comfortable bidding and double the price you paid plus the bidding amount against a new booking to ensure you're not overpaying.  We've won at least 3 times but always non-suites, if you want to bid around the minimum make it at least a few ticks higher than the minimum.  That's what worked for us

3 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

they do this n case of no shows

Yes, although people rarely cancel within a few weeks of the sail date and MoveUp closes before embarkation day.  On the other hand, guest services told us there's ALWAYS a handful of people who do not make it to the embarkation ports all board usually related to a missed flight and/or emergency.  However, by then MoveUp closes and it becomes first come first serve to those no show staterooms

• Like 1

No shows on a sold-out ship: We once tried to move out of our guaranteed stateroom due to room issues such as rust and mold. They said impossible, but check with us again after sailaway. We did--and they moved us to a suite, for an extra $200!  The room had a large bouquet for Mr & Mrs X (not us, lol), chocolates, wine... all for us to keep. Back in the pre-bidding days...

• Thanks 1

The moveup page has you answer two questions.  Last name and reservation number.  I complete that and the page returns to the same page like a loop.  If moveup offer for a particular sailing has not opened or no move up planned, then it should say something once you fill out the info.  

Do the starting amounts they suggest on that page vary depending on what cabin you’ve already booked? As in, if I have an inside and I want to bid for a sky suite would be more expensive than if I have a veranda and want to bid for a sky suite? 

1 hour ago, blueskadoo said:

Do the starting amounts they suggest on that page vary depending on what cabin you’ve already booked? As in, if I have an inside and I want to bid for a sky suite would be more expensive than if I have a veranda and want to bid for a sky suite? 

The general consensus is yes. It’s a little obscure because the whole process is outsourced.

2 hours ago, kluv2cruz said:

There’s a thread that’s quite helpful about this. Celebrity MoveUp Offer Tracker - Please Do Not Post Questions Here!

Can you please link this thread? Just received a MoveUp offer for our next cruise. 

This is our only opportunity to place a bid since all our other bookings are with the BigBox. I checked out which cabins have the greatest availability and think bidding on one of those might work at a lower number. But one of the categories available (non-suite) has only 3 open and I'd love to sail in one of those- can I bid on more than one cabin type?

I'm going to ask this question here instead of the thread I posted it in, and instead of the "no questions" move up thread...

I have a Move Up question related to the Retreat... I have a Concierge Class cabin for an upcoming Apex cruise. I received a Move Up bid offer this afternoon, and the minimum bids for every Retreat cabin, if I double the per person rate and add it to what I've already paid for my cabin, are basically the exact same cost, or at best, maybe a couple hundred dollars better, than if I just booked those cabins straight away without going through the bidding process.

Is that the way these are usually priced? Doing a quick fake booking, I counted 30 open Sky Suites, yet the lowest bid I can put in to "move up" would essentially cost me the same as a full price booking for that suite? Why would I do that? Regret that I didn't pull the trigger when I originally booked?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kruzgal said:

The bid up from balcony to concierge guarantee is £100 more than if we had just booked concierge in the first place. What is the point? 

Market conditions have obviously changed since you booked..

Isn't the point for them to fill more expensive cabins? When you have 30 open cabins and you are charging the same amount as if one simply booked it, today, on the website - but the move up price doesn't include the All Included perks - I don't really understand the point. Unless people in Inside or Oceanview rooms are getting better deals to move up than those with IVs or who are already in the Retreat.

• Like 1