Toilet paper and flushable wipes

I haven't seen this discussed in a while.  I have read that we shouldn't bring our own tp because, as crappy (no pun intended) as the tp is on the ships, it's like that for a reason.  Something to do with the ship's disposal system.  Is this indeed true?  I only ask because my home has a septic system, and I've seen those packages of tp that say "septic safe" (mainly for RVs I think), and I don't use that.  It's really thin and rough.  I never have any problems at home with any standard toilet paper.  Just wondering.

Are flushable wipes off limits to flush?  I always assumed they should just be put in a trash can because of the aforementioned disposal system, and that is what we do, but again, wondering if it's safe to flush them.  I really hate having them "hang out" in the bathroom trash until the stateroom steward gets to it.

• Like 1

They have baggies in the bathroom you can put the wipes in, then in the garbage can... if not, ask your room steward for some.

DO NOT flush anything but the supplied toilet paper down! Too many horror stories about anything like that causing havoc, not just on your cabin but on the 6-8 of your nearest cabin friends!

And despite what they say about them being septic-safe, my SIL the plumber says don't believe it... or do! Because plumbers & septic folks make a good living cleaning up the result.

As for the RV, no way would I use wipes, since I'm the one dealing with the voiding, so to speak! Any issues would only be that much worse!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dlphn501 said:

I haven't seen this discussed in a while.  I have read that we shouldn't bring our own tp because, as crappy (no pun intended) as the tp is on the ships, it's like that for a reason.  Something to do with the ship's disposal system.  Is this indeed true?  I only ask because my home has a septic system, and I've seen those packages of tp that say "septic safe" (mainly for RVs I think), and I don't use that.  It's really thin and rough.  I never have any problems at home with any standard toilet paper.  Just wondering.

Are flushable wipes off limits to flush?  I always assumed they should just be put in a trash can because of the aforementioned disposal system, and that is what we do, but again, wondering if it's safe to flush them.  I really hate having them "hang out" in the bathroom trash until the stateroom steward gets to it.

The wipes should not be flushed and yes they will mess with the toilet system.

On a Princess cruise one time and while my now ex husband knew not to flush them, I guess he decided to ignore it or test it, I don't know but it ended up requiring a maintenance person to unlock the panel in the hallway by our door and retrieve the said flushed wipes. So embarrassing and just stupid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dlphn501 said:

I really hate having them "hang out" in the bathroom trash until the stateroom steward gets to it.

If I really needed wet wipes, I would bring some of those scented disposable bags that are used for diapers or dog poop, and put the used ones in them before you put them in the garbage can.

• Like 5

Generally, any toilet tissue is safe for use in a vacuum toilet system, contrary to urban legend.  In 40+ years of working on vacuum toilet systems, I've never seen a clog from "the wrong type" of toilet paper.  Wipes, of any kind, whether "septic safe" or not, are not to be used in vacuum toilets.

As far as things being marked "septic safe", that bears no relevance to a ship's system, as the ship's system handles waste a lot differently than a land septic tank system (been on one at multiple houses for over 40 years).  Again, wipes of any kind, even "septic safe" ones should not be sent down either a residential septic system or a municipal sewage system.  Most of these wipes are made with plastic fibers, or at the least woven paper fibers, and will not break down, and will cause blockages even in municipal sewer systems.  Using toilet paper not marked "septic safe" in a residential septic system just means that the tank needs to be pumped at the recommended 3 year interval.

In fact, the vacuum toilet systems on cruise ships do not want the toilet paper to break down quickly (as the boating "marine" or RV paper is designed to do), as the vacuum system needs to maintain some "shape" in order to properly travel down (or in some cases, up) the vacuum piping.

Cruise ship toilet paper is the way it is because the ship goes through pallet loads of it weekly, so they buy the cheapest stuff they can.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 14

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Generally, any toilet tissue is safe for use in a vacuum toilet system, contrary to urban legend.  In 40+ years of working on vacuum toilet systems, I've never seen a clog from "the wrong type" of toilet paper.  Wipes, of any kind, whether "septic safe" or not, are not to be used in vacuum toilets.

As far as things being marked "septic safe", that bears no relevance to a ship's system, as the ship's system handles waste a lot differently than a land septic tank system (been on one at multiple houses for over 40 years).  Again, wipes of any kind, even "septic safe" ones should not be sent down either a residential septic system or a municipal sewage system.  Most of these wipes are made with plastic fibers, or at the least woven paper fibers, and will not break down, and will cause blockages even in municipal sewer systems.  Using toilet paper not marked "septic safe" in a residential septic system just means that the tank needs to be pumped at the recommended 3 year interval.

In fact, the vacuum toilet systems on cruise ships do not want the toilet paper to break down quickly (as the boating "marine" or RV paper is designed to do), as the vacuum system needs to maintain some "shape" in order to properly travel down (or in some cases, up) the vacuum piping.

Cruise ship toilet paper is the way it is because the ship goes through pallet loads of it weekly, so they buy the cheapest stuff they can.

Listen to this guy...he knows his, er, ship, yeah that's the right word ship!

• Like 6
  • Haha 22

12 hours ago, Roscoe13 said:

Listen to this guy...he knows his, er, ship, yeah that's the right word ship!

There goes my breakfast cereal. 

best Ship remarks for the day. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, tonit964 said:

The wipes should not be flushed and yes they will mess with the toilet system.

On a Princess cruise one time and while my now ex husband knew not to flush them, I guess he decided to ignore it or test it, I don't know but it ended up requiring a maintenance person to unlock the panel in the hallway by our door and retrieve the said flushed wipes. So embarrassing and just stupid.

Reason #1027 was he's the ex lol

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

If you wish to use anything but the ship's TP, the cabin stewards have paper bags for disposal of "sanitary" items.  If they're not already in your cabin, or you need more, just ask your cabin steward for "lady bags".  Just fold over the top of the bag a couple of times once you have placed your used item(s) in there, and leave in the bathroom trash can.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Sandpaper TP is  one of the few things that can be sucked out of a vacuum style ship toilet. And at home, I use a spray bidet and swear by it not at it. So, when I cruise it's a bit of a change. My suggestions?

1. Not as good as regular bidets but, can cut down on TP. A travel bidet. Best is to look on Amazon and check out rankings of travel bidets on the web.

2. You can even pick it up at a dollar store. Go for hydrocortisone goo or hemorrhoid cream. 

That way you can cruise with confidence without worrying about down there discomfort.

• Like 1