ArriveCAN app

phabric

If returning to Canada through Toronto Pearson Airport (maybe other Canadian airports) use the ArriveCAN app..  You fill in the same information in advance up to 72 hours before your flight that you would fill in at kiosks in the Immigration area.  There is a green EXPRESS sign to follow.  

I returned to Canada, Monday March 4 @ 3:20pm, there was no line for EXPRESS line vs the long regular Immigration line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phabric said:

If returning to Canada through Toronto Pearson Airport (maybe other Canadian airports) use the ArriveCAN app..  You fill in the same information in advance up to 72 hours before your flight that you would fill in at kiosks in the Immigration area.  There is a green EXPRESS sign to follow.  

I returned to Canada, Monday March 4 @ 3:20pm, there was no line for EXPRESS line vs the long regular Immigration line.

First...Shhhh...don't share our secrets the more people that use it the longer it will get!

But also, 100% agree, that we've never waited using the ArriveCAN app or the CBP app if going into the US. We sailed on through both a few weeks ago on our last trip. Due to the delay in NEXUS, this has been great. I'm hoping our NEXUS comes through before too many people learn how quickly the ArriveCAN and CBP lines can be! 

4 hours ago, cmaleblanc said:

I'm hoping our NEXUS comes through before too many people learn how quickly the ArriveCAN and CBP lines can be! 

I've been using the CBP and it's great. I didn't realize ArriveCAN was still a thing. Like you though I've applied for NEXUS. Such a long wait!

We have Nexus and especially arriving into Pearson I would not see a reason to use the ArriveCan app unless it was mandated.  Even the couple of times we did have to use it, we found it clunky.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We have Nexus and especially arriving into Pearson I would not see a reason to use the ArriveCan app unless it was mandated.  Even the couple of times we did have to use it, we found it clunky.

I had a related conversation once with a Canadian border agent when we returned off a cruise from the US, flying home into YUL. We are long time NEXUS holders, but I casually mentioned to him that we had also filled out Arrivecan. He was very clear and adamant that we are NOT supposed to use Arrivecan if we are also NEXUS card holders.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I had a related conversation once with a Canadian border agent when we returned off a cruise from the US, flying home into YUL. We are long time NEXUS holders, but I casually mentioned to him that we had also filled out Arrivecan. He was very clear and adamant that we are NOT supposed to use Arrivecan if we are also NEXUS card holders.

Interesting... never heard that, but I have not used Arrive Can since its initial introduction...  so there we are.

5 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I believe it may be more like.... do not use ArriveCan if you are using NEXUS to re-enter Canada.  Being a NEXUS card holder does not mean you cannot use ArriveCan if you choose to come back the 'old-fashioned' way.  

• Like 1

I was under the belief that the ArriveCan is no longer in use. On our return last July from Europe we did not use it. What a waste of our hard earned tax dollars. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ski ww said:

I was under the belief that the ArriveCan is no longer in use. On our return last July from Europe we did not use it. What a waste of our hard earned tax dollars. 

I used ArriveCAN on Monday March 4 at Pearson Airport returning from USA with no problem.  ArriveCAN was fast with no lineup and regular line was very long.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

I believe it may be more like.... do not use ArriveCan if you are using NEXUS to re-enter Canada.  Being a NEXUS card holder does not mean you cannot use ArriveCan if you choose to come back the 'old-fashioned' way.  

If I understand it correctly it's like YYZ Express at Pearson. It also says it's not for NEXUS holders/can't be used with NEXUS. But if you read the full explanation it's because NEXUS already has the same benefits, so they don't want you to double dip. I feel like ArriveCan may be similar, if you've already paid for NEXUS, you're taking up space in ArriveCan for someone who doesn't have it. Of course, this is only a problem once many people start using ArriveCan. I also haven't used both, as I'm still waiting for my NEXUS interview. Hoping I have it all sorted out before our travel next year. (if the 12-18 month wait is to be believed). 

53 minutes ago, ski ww said:

It's been very much in use we've used it for the last few years arriving back in Canada after our trips, the last time was in Feb 2024 after our cruise with Celebrity. The line was empty, and we walked past about 100 people waiting in the normal line. Waste of money? Probably, but as long as it's active I'll keep using it as long as it's faster than waiting in line the old way. 

• Like 1

I am a NEXUS holder so have no need for the government's attempt to reconfigure a grossly-mishandled program into a entry tool. I was forced to install and use the ArriveCan app during the pandemic, very much enjoyed deleting it and am not about to reinstall it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I guess that's what I meant to say. He advised do not use Arrivecan when using NEXUS to enter Canada.

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

That's my understanding as well. When returning to Canada, NEXUS members can use one or the other but not both on the same trip.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 3:53 AM, ski ww said:

You answer the kiosk questions ahead of time before the flight.  At the airport in Canada you jump to the front of the line. On the kiosks, you are asked if your answers are still correct and your done.  Great setup.

The US has a similar app for US entry.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2024 at 12:39 AM, em-sk said:

You answer the kiosk questions ahead of time before the flight.  At the airport in Canada you jump to the front of the line. On the kiosks, you are asked if your answers are still correct and your done.  Great setup.

The US has a similar app for US entry.  

Someone has posted that if you have Nexus you should not use Arrive Can...why, I don't know...perhaps messes up their system of entry?  When we travel by air we do both but use the Nexus line, and no one has stopped us or indicated we should use one or the other.  I'll gladly drop Arrive Can if it's true we don't need to use it anymore.

13 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Someone has posted that if you have Nexus you should not use Arrive Can...why, I don't know...perhaps messes up their system of entry?  When we travel by air we do both but use the Nexus line, and no one has stopped us or indicated we should use one or the other.  I'll gladly drop Arrive Can if it's true we don't need to use it anymore.

If you use the ArriveCAN app to provide your information, and then go to a NEXUS eGate/Kiosk, they can not access your ArriveCAN submission. Consequently, you've wasted your time and tied up the ArriveCAN computer system unnecessarily. 

From the CBSA's ArriveCAN webpage:

Note: At this time, travellers cannot use the Advance Declaration with NEXUS kiosks.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

That may have been me. I admit I'm not overly familiar with the intricacies of the various programs that I am a very long time member of, I was simply relating what I was told at a Canadian entry point at YUL on our return from a cruise.  The kiosks were all down and we had to go up to a CBSA agent for manual processing. I casually mentioned to him that I had also submitted the ArriveCan info and he told me quite clearly that I did not have to do that. Fouremco's explanation above, as per usual,  makes perfect sense.

3 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

That may have been me. I admit I'm not overly familiar with the intricacies of the various programs that I am a very long time member of, I was simply relating what I was told at a Canadian entry point at YUL on our return from a cruise.  The kiosks were all down and we had to go up to a CBSA agent for manual processing. I casually mentioned to him that I had also submitted the ArriveCan info and he told me quite clearly that I did not have to do that. Fouremco's explanation above, as per usual,  makes perfect sense.

Thanks...appreciate your explanation.  I'll continue to do both since it didn't create any problems the many times I've done so.  Not a bother completing the Arrive Can form in advance.  After all the bad press it's had recently, at some point the press will report the gov't has ended the requirement.

47 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If you use the ArriveCAN app to provide your information, and then go to a NEXUS eGate/Kiosk, they can not access your ArriveCAN submission. Consequently, you've wasted your time and tied up the ArriveCAN computer system unnecessarily. 

From the CBSA's ArriveCAN webpage:

Note: At this time, travellers cannot use the Advance Declaration with NEXUS kiosks.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

Thanks....Found the next page to this link interesting.  Never tried to use the Adv. Declaration in combination with using Nexus...but I didn't mind filling it in...didn't take long and it was almost an insurance that it was supposed to be filled in and I didn't want to find out at the gate it wasn't completed.  Not sure their system was tied up because I took a few bytes out....😊

As of 7/22/23...

Who should not use the kiosks and eGates

• NEXUS members should continue to use dedicated NEXUS kiosks and NEXUS eGates for expedited processing. If a dedicated NEXUS lane is unavailable, NEXUS travellers can opt to use a passport for regular processing at a primary inspection kiosk or eGate

20 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks...appreciate your explanation.  I'll continue to do both since it didn't create any problems the many times I've done so.  Not a bother completing the Arrive Can form in advance.  After all the bad press it's had recently, at some point the press will report the gov't has ended the requirement.

Using both doesn't create problems but provides no benefit to NEXUS holders. If you like filling in forms, go for it!

There has been no ArriveCAN requirement since October 1, 2022, and the press reported that widely at the time.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

There has been no ArriveCAN requirement since October 1, 2022, and the press reported that widely at the time.

Just repeating this for emphasis. It's voluntary, and has been for a year and a half.