Complimentary Dinner for 2

4 minutes ago, nittany lion fan said:

We are sailing on the Odyssey  and received  a complimentary  dinner for 2. Does anyone know the parameters? Any night? Any restaurant?

I know we cannot book until we get on board.

Did you get this from your TA? I'd ask them. I've never seen royal offer it.

Posted (edited)

If it's from your travel agent, you should have a page listing the complimentary dinner for 2 in your final cruise documents. We had the following exceptions on our choices:

Specialty Dinner For 2Enjoy a complimentary dinner for two in one of our specialty restaurants onboard. All specialty restaurants valid except Izumi Hibachi, Teppanyaki & Chef’s Table. Venues vary by ship. Gratuities are included. Alcoholic beverages and sodas are not included and are available at an additional cost.

We made our reservations as soon as we boarded for Chops Grille and it was good for any night. BTW, this was on the Ovation so sister ship to Odyssey.

Edited by cruisemiser1

Ones I've used in the past from TAs have been any standard specialty (no chef's table, etc) and they have been able to see them when I've gone to book once I've gotten on the ship.

We had an ugly (free dining) surprise on Celebrity.  Our on line TA advertised free specialty restaurant for two with a booking.  When we got on board no voucher was in the room so we contacted the TA who had paid Celebrity for the dining.  We went to guest services and after being handed off three times we were told that we had $45 per person OBC to use toward a specialty restaurant.  Since Celebrity has no specialty restaurant for under $55 (plus a required 20% gratuity) this was not what we expected.  We would never have known that this refundable OBC was a restaurant. I know this is a Royal board (Diamond plus here) but I wanted others to know this.  I felt it was Celebrities mistake for not honoring something they offered to TAs at a discounted rate.  I did follow up with the TA after returning home.  We did not use the $90 to dine because we would have had to add another $55 to eat in Murano's.  Sort of felt like it was a trick.

• Thanks 1

Be careful with this! On our last Navigator cruise, on the last night, we were told that the dinner was 'complimentary' for my wife and I. So we gave them a great tip. A few days after the cruise, not only did they charge us, but they got a very nice tip on top of that! We called, but Royal would not do anything, said they'll look at the records but that we should've disputed ON THE SHIP! We didn't know! Oh well, lesson learned! As Mama always said, nothing in life is for FREE!

34 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Be careful with this! On our last Navigator cruise, on the last night, we were told that the dinner was 'complimentary' for my wife and I. So we gave them a great tip. A few days after the cruise, not only did they charge us, but they got a very nice tip on top of that! We called, but Royal would not do anything, said they'll look at the records but that we should've disputed ON THE SHIP! We didn't know! Oh well, lesson learned! As Mama always said, nothing in life is for FREE!

It doesnt hurt, maybe before exiting the ship, turn on your app and take a screen shot of the charges final billing showing last day. 

• Like 1

We had this deal last November.  When we got on board we went to our choice of restaurant and booked the time and the night we wanted ...turned out great but we usually eat at the MDR and I'm not sure it was much of an upgrade but it was free

4 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Presumably if you tipped you were given a zero check to sign?

10 hours ago, nittany lion fan said:

We are sailing on the Odyssey  and received  a complimentary  dinner for 2. Does anyone know the parameters? Any night? Any restaurant?

I know we cannot book until we get on board.

I just had to call my TA because its not showing on my upcoming cruise.  The TA called RCL and they are working on getting it applied because it was a RCL promotion, not one via the TA.

You might want to give them a call

9 hours ago, Neosophy said:

I just had to call my TA because its not showing on my upcoming cruise.  The TA called RCL and they are working on getting it applied because it was a RCL promotion, not one via the TA.

You might want to give them a call

The only place it would show is on the guest copy of Royals invoice.  This can take 4-6 weeks for Royal to add it to the booking which is completely normal.

image.png.0cb1b6a9412710c2762d453d70941fcb.png

As others have mentioned, the voucher (not really needed) will be with your cruise docs that get issued at 45 days to sailing and it will be on the page before your luggage tags.

It will not show anywhere in the cruise planner or app.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The only place it would show is on the guest copy of Royals invoice.  This can take 4-6 weeks for Royal to add it to the booking which is completely normal.

image.png.0cb1b6a9412710c2762d453d70941fcb.png

As others have mentioned, the voucher (not really needed) will be with your cruise docs that get issued at 45 days to sailing and it will be on the page before your luggage tags.

It will not show anywhere in the cruise planner or app.

Thanks, its actually missing.  RCL is having to add it to our two reservations.  Our TA Receipt shows it, but RCL didnt have it on our reservations.

Thanks for all the help!

I had this off my TA there was a full size voucher in the cruise pack you print off with the luggage tags 

As above though it was not needed as it was already coded on the room and I was presented with a $0.00 receipt to sign at the end of the meal. Was all very simple.

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

Has anyone reserved and paid for their dinner before boarding and then get credited back for it when you present your voucher?

I haven't personally attempted this, but I know of someone who tried and was not successful. They weren't going to get a refund if they canceled the original reservation, so they just ate there twice. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I haven't personally attempted this, but I know of someone who tried and was not successful. They weren't going to get a refund if they canceled the original reservation, so they just ate there twice. 🙂 

Odd, we have done it many times on a variety of ships and always get a OBC. Usually when we make the package reservations the host making the reservations just swaps a package night for the same full price night and takes care of the refund becoming a OBC, they have never questioned the swap. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Odd, we have done it many times on a variety of ships and always get a OBC. Usually when we make the package reservations the host making the reservations just swaps a package night for the same full price night and takes care of the refund becoming a OBC, they have never questioned the swap. 

I've heard that this often works when using a dining package, so your experience doesn't surprise me--although even the dining package swap-outs seem to be getting more unpredictable lately. 🫤

That being said, even for a complimentary dining voucher, it wouldn't shock me to hear that someone else WAS successful in getting OBC. You know what they say ... "Really Consistently Inconsistent." 😆

• Like 1