Celebrity online check-in....something new?

j3000

just got email to check in online now for our April cruise.

One of the requirements appears to be to provide a "Security Photo" of each guest as part of the check-in process. I don't recall having to do this on our last Celebrity cruise.

Is this something new? and, is it mandatory?

Just now, jargey3000 said:

just got email to check in online now for our April cruise.

One of the requirements appears to be to provide a "Security Photo" of each guest as part of the check-in process. I don't recall having to do this on our last Celebrity cruise.

Is this something new? and, is it mandatory?

No need to do it, they will take a picture at the port.  They have had it for a while, I have uploaded pic but they always retook it.  

8 minutes ago, indy406 said:

We did while checking in on the app. It was painless.

And kind of fun...when you get to do retake after retake until you think you look 'a few' years younger....😇

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just about all the cruise lines are asking passengers to submit their own photo.  By doing so, it makes the check-in process that much faster; and you have control over how good your security photo appears (photo should be similar to a professional Linkin type photo, or else it will be retaken at the pier).  It is also super easy to do on your cruise line's app.  Try it.

OP, guessing that maybe you haven't cruised since the pandemic.  Another change is that your Seapass stateroom entry card is now waiting for you outside your stateroom door - it will not be handed to you at check-in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is it a bad thing when you go to check in at the pier and person checking you in laughs out loud at the picture you submitted and re-takes it? Asking for a friend.

Edited by CruisinShips
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

As someone who checks in passengers, I have seen my share of 'boudoir' type of security photos.  I have seen topless women (cleavage, but not full on).  I had one guy show up last year with a security photo of him in bed, shirtless, surrounded by white pillows with a 'come hither' expression. I am not sure why they would submit an intimate photo of themselves. Not surprisingly, I retook both security photos.

I am not sure what these people think about who actually sees these photos (like every time you have your SeaPass card swiped), but you would think that they would give some consideration.

• Haha 1

Not new.   They have had that for at least 10 years.    As others say it is not mandatory and can be done during checking as well as everything else except the selection of a checkin time.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Another change is that your Seapass stateroom entry card is now waiting for you outside your stateroom door - it will not be handed to you at check-in.

oh....so, anyone could grab it...& walk off with it??

Edited by jargey3000

7 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

oh....so, anyone could grab it...& walk off with it??

Really not a problem.   If it is in a sealed envelope and if it's "walked away", they print you a new card and disable the old one.      Also remember security would have video of the culprit. 

On B2B's, I've often had a card that didn't work and just have a new one made.

Looks like the original Jarey3000 post got deleted.

This is the reason we have security photos - every time your card is swiped / scanned on board, your photo flashes on the screen.

I have never heard or read about someone whose SeaPass card was taken from outside their stateroom door on embarkation day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As someone who checks in passengers, I have seen my share of 'boudoir' type of security photos.  I have seen topless women (cleavage, but not full on).  I had one guy show up last year with a security photo of him in bed, shirtless, surrounded by white pillows with a 'come hither' expression. I am not sure why they would submit an intimate photo of themselves. Not surprisingly, I retook both security photos.

I am not sure what these people think about who actually sees these photos (like every time you have your SeaPass card swiped), but you would think that they would give some consideration.

Wow 

And here's me fussing about having good lighting for a selfie for the check in

Edited by Lena11033
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Wow 

And here's me fussing about having good lighting for a selfie for the check in

I took a passport style photo of my DH and DS against a wall some time ago, and DH did the same for me.

I cropped them and now use the same photos as security photos for all our cruises. No need to do a selfie every time we need a security photo for the cruise. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I took a passport style photo of my DH and DS against a wall some time ago, and DH did the same for me.

I cropped them and now use the same photos as security photos for all our cruises. No need to do a selfie every time we need a security photo for the cruise. 

I should probably do that, only reason I hadn't was because I was doing 1 cruise a year so wasn't a big deal but in the next year I have 3 so probably makes more sense now just to do 1 then upload as needed.

31 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I should probably do that, only reason I hadn't was because I was doing 1 cruise a year so wasn't a big deal but in the next year I have 3 so probably makes more sense now just to do 1 then upload as needed.

we only cruise twice a year (this year is an anomaly with 3 cruises, yay!), but neither my DH nor I change a lot over the years, so the same pic works for a loooong time. Now, our kiddo's pic is from like 3 years ago, but he still has the same baby face even though he added a bit of height and weight. 🙂