Currently on Silhouette very bad experience

avp1234

We’re currently on the Silhouette and have had the worst experience of all the cruises we’ve been on. Yesterday, while getting ready for dinner, my husband was in the bathroom when he heard the toilet making a terrible rumbling sound. He looked to see what was happening, you know how small the bathrooms are? When he did his face and shirt got sprayed with black sewage.it was literally everywhere. 

Black sewage/chemicals/feces was all over the bathroom and him. He’s trying to wash it out of his eyes/face, I call and they say they’re having a sewage problem, which doesn’t help me. I open the door and find our attendant. He says there’s been a line break. Another lady shows up and I tell her what happened, panicking. I tell them he needs an eye wash etc because there’s obviously bacteria and disease. All the time their acting like it’s no big deal. 

I called home and talked to someone what to do. They said to have them do an eye wash, give oral antibiotics and go to his dr when he gets back. We go to the medical center, he’s panicking, they hook him up to oxygen and do the eye wash. The put little plastic suction like cups on your eyes and wash them with a bag of solution. 

Long story semi short, it was handled terrible. I was promised a medical report from a dr this morning. They called and said it will be today or tomorrow. I went to guest relations, and spoke with Abraham, There were several people there complaining because their toilets had been not working since 2pm. He talked to me like I was just some dumb woman and ended up walking off from me. There was another lady listening and she tried to help me and he walked off from her too. And the worst part, not one person told my husband they were sorry this happened. 

I’m not asking for compensation, and it surely wasn’t offered, I just want the documentation of what happened so I can take it to his dr when we get home because he’ll need it for future blood work etc when we get home to make sure he didn’t contract something. 

Do not go on this ship. If something happened they don’t care. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

They did eye washes when  ship's engine  oil sprayed all over everyone at the Sunset Bar on a diff X  ship..We were all covered with black stuff. Handled asap by high level ofcrs.   Free  drink replacements, medical  services as needed and clothes washing..  ObC  and btl of wine with apologies!

This is worse.... Hope he is ok...

What cabin or deck is this?

Did they move ur  room?

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3

What deck are you on? We just got off Silhouette on Thursday. We were on deck 7 and noticed that in the morning the toilet bowl was almost at the top with water. It would take a couple of flushes to get it back to normal. We thought there might be a leak somewhere.

I sure hope you receive your report, not to mention sorry about how you were treated.  I totally understand being treated like your personal issue is not important at all.  Unfortunately, customer service representatives who behave that way need re-training, or moved to a different assignment on the ship.  Otherwise, people will write about their experience on these boards, not to mention elsewhere too.  Please return and share your outcome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

The employees know you're on for however many days and often treat requests based on their own timeline and convenience.  Almost like "island time" in certain parts of the world.  Doesn't help when you're already aggravated.  Don't leave the ship without what you need because it's that much harder when you're not on board.  I would give them until tomorrow morning at most and then run it up the chain.

You could also leave a comment on the app, right?  I've read that those get seen by higher ups sooner rather than later.  Don't write a diatribe about all you've been through.  Just say you were promised the doctor's report and it wasn't delivered.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 1

If this line break impacted more than just your cabin and your husband, it could be that is slowing down getting medical reports out. 

Have they offered to launder the clothing, has your cabin be cleaned and sanitized, did they move you to another cabin?  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If this line break impacted more than just your cabin and your husband, it could be that is slowing down getting medical reports out. 

Have they offered to launder the clothing, has your cabin be cleaned and sanitized, did they move you to another cabin?  

It still does not explain the lack of empathy from the staff...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

To be covered in this 'toilet matter' would be enough for me to get off at the next port and ensure there was a report to the US board of health, if they didn't move my cabin, clean or wash my clothing carefully, insist I see the doctor before I had to do this myself, apologize, and try to compensate in some way to at least show empathy.  Disgusting even if it was an unexpected break in the line.  Although a poster here said they had 'water level' issues onboard the prior cruise so SOMEONE had to know there was a sewer problem.

• Like 4

You did have a terrible experience (your husband had a worse one), but you really need to calm down. What you assumed was indifference by the crew was in all likelihood a measured approach to try to calm you down and not escalate your panic in the original incident. And sorry, but we are only getting your side of the story. We don't have any idea of how you conducted yourself at GS. Not saying you acted inappropriately; just that we don't know how that exchange went.

The med dept called you and told you that you would receive the necessary paper work. As long as you get it before disembarkation,  what difference does it make if it's today or tomorrow? You have no idea how busy the staff is in sick bay.

I hope that the bathroom situation has been rectified, and that you have been able to have your clothing cleaned and were able to replace any toiletries that were contaminated.. I would suggest that you have a meeting with the Hotel Director to discuss compensation for this, as well as coverage of any medical costs for your husband's  treatment.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

How anyone acted at Guest Rel is not relevant to blase' response so far from X

like it is an everyday event.. hope no issues  wheb we cruise Silho!

• Like 2

Go back to med center, they promised the report. Though this is gross, disgusting, alarming to most, he'll likely be fine given he showered, eye wash etc.  Not making light of the situation, and certainly seems like it could have been handled better. Find an officer within the hotel staff.

This is also a good example as to why plumbers cost what they do, they earn it. Best of luck. 

The first thing that should have been done was for the OP to take a video of the bathroom, ideally with the "junk" being on the hubby's face.  So many things get swept under the rug until a video gets released, only then do companies take action

• Like 6

5 hours ago, avp1234 said:

Do not go on this ship. If something happened they don’t care. 

We're so sorry for your experience.  Sometimes really bad things happen.  We believe that when the appropriate level of management arrives that you will be served well, albeit late to your satisfaction.

Although we don't understand exactly what happened, it seems very rare.  But, it indeed happened.  In that situation I'd have jumped in the shower with soap over and over and would have rinsed my own eyes excessively.  The proper treatment?  Nope.  Just mitigation for something you shouldn't have had to deal with.

We hope it all works out.  We would have transferred you to another stateroom immediately.

Hang in there.

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

It still does not explain the lack of empathy from the staff...

We are only hearing one side of the story.  The OP clearly and rightfully was upset and panicky.  But the crew is trained not to panic, so when they acted like it’s” was no big deal” that was read as unconcerned.  

I find it hard to believe the attendant didn’t say something like I’m sorry this happened, I’ve called ____ and we will have it cleaned up asap, they always apologize , even if they didn’t create the problem, but maybe they didn’t.   Or Medical did say something like, Oh that’s not good , Let’s get you taken care of right away.  

When the OP returns to report what has been done then it will be clear to me whether the crew blew this off or if OP has gotten the medical report, maybe moved cabins, had clothing cleaned, and some apologies and goodwill gestures. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

But, it indeed happened.  In that situation I'd have jumped in the shower with soap

Just a thought....if the line was broken...what came out of the toilet might have come out of the shower....imagine that!

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Just a thought....if the line was broken...what came out of the toilet might have come out of the shower....imagine that!

Thanks for the laugh, reminded me of:

YARN | Different pipes go to different places. | Seinfeld (1989) - S09E21  The Clip Show (1) (a.k.a. The Chronicle (1)) | Video gifs by quotes |  beae6997 | 紗

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We are only hearing one side of the story.  The OP clearly and rightfully was upset and panicky.  But the crew is trained not to panic, so when they acted like it’s” was no big deal” that was read as unconcerned.  

I find it hard to believe the attendant didn’t say something like I’m sorry this happened, I’ve called ____ and we will have it cleaned up asap, they always apologize , even if they didn’t create the problem, but maybe they didn’t.   Or Medical did say something like, Oh that’s not good , Let’s get you taken care of right away.  

When the OP returns to report what has been done then it will be clear to me whether the crew blew this off or if OP has gotten the medical report, maybe moved cabins, had clothing cleaned, and some apologies and goodwill gestures. 

I can promise you that exactly what I wrote was what happened. There were others at guest services that were upset because they had been without toilet service in their rooms, but my husband was the only one I know of that had actual sewage spew on his face. I wish there was another side of the story, trust me. 

Someone called earlier to see how he was, and I told him he was ok. I took pictures when it happened of the toilet and even after when they cleaned it and it still had black residue in the tank. I’m not posting pictures of feces on here, but it truly was disgusting. I still have not received any paperwork or medical documents. We’ve tried to make the best of things but I wish we hadn’t come. It definitely put a damper on the whole trip. 

And no, I didn’t ask for compensation or anything like that and nothing was offered. Not even dry cleaning of his clothes. I tried to talk to someone other than Abraham at guest services, but he told me that he was who was supposed to handle it. He was very dismissive and he actually walked away from me and the other lady. I would have no reason to make any of this up or exaggerate the situation. I mean he got sprayed with sewage. There’s not much left to say. I guess we’ll see if we get any paperwork tomorrow land go see his dr when we get home to see if he needs antibiotics or any testing done. I don’t know anything about sewer and the chemicals on a ship. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1