PVP And Heald Giving Differing Statements on Wheel Chairs Or Scooters?

10 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

There is and a nice picture to JH, maybe one to CCL

Awesome!  Now if everyone properly reported scooters in the halls, the problem might take care of itself!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Awesome!  Now if everyone properly reported scooters in the halls, the problem might take care of itself!

Might be a coincidence but a couple of years ago, I took some pictures of a guy holding his diapered baby in the pool, keeping them out of sight of crew while another parent was being told to take their infant out of the pool (apparently someone called Guest Services).  They did not drain the pool.  I sent pictures with info to the Coast Guard.  Next cruise and ever since, I see pool guards at every pool.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I sent pictures with info to the Coast Guard. 

And the USCG did absolutely nothing with your pictures, since they have no jurisdiction over what goes on in a cruise ship swimming pool, even a US flag one.  The only government agency that would be interested is the USPH/CDC.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Scooters in the hallway shouldn't have to be reported; anyone crew/staff member walking down the corridor can clearly see them. What remains to be seen is if the crew/staff onboard the ships will actually enforce the rule.  This is not a new rule but obviously it has not been enforced in the past.

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Might be a coincidence but a couple of years ago, I took some pictures of a guy holding his diapered baby in the pool, keeping them out of sight of crew while another parent was being told to take their infant out of the pool (apparently someone called Guest Services).  They did not drain the pool.  I sent pictures with info to the Coast Guard.  Next cruise and ever since, I see pool guards at every pool.  

Carnival added pool attendants (not even lifeguards) because of a rash of drownings, near-drownings, and accidents in pools (on multiple lines).  It was a reactionary response to reduce bad press and potential liability, not anything to do with diapered or not potty trained kids in the pool.  I can assure you Carnival doesn't give a crap (pun intended) about that in comparison to the bad publicity and liability for drownings and near-drownings.

13 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I wouldn't have any problem reporting a scooter illegally parked.

I don't remember - is there a speed dial to Security on the room phones?

867-5309

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve taken my own scooter on our last 8 or 9 cruises. We book a standard balcony cabin, and always inform Special Needs department with info regarding size of scooter, etc. My scooter fits through the entry door fairly easily. If necessary we remove the armrests. I’ve managed steering my scooter into the cabin, continue steering it very slowly toward the corner of the bed, and back up and turn around so my scooter the faces the door. It is parked in front of the sofa. We just move the table a little toward the door. It fits very nicely and does not block us at all. We have plenty of space between the scooter and desk to walk by freely.

I use my cane in the cabin and don’t require an accessible cabin yet. I would never park scooter outside of cabin. Most folks familiar with scooters, understand that is a safety hazard but some using a scooter for the first time may not know, so hopefully Carnival will really enforce their rules for wheelchairs, scooters, etc.

• Like 6

On 3/12/2024 at 5:25 PM, pjhootch said:

It would have been miserably tight for an inside cabin but an ocean view or balcony is manageable.  

The inside part of a balcony on carnival on ships other than the really old ships is the exact same as a inside cabin. A OV cabin on the ships I've done is the same as the balcony plus the inside part of a balcony cabin. 220 sf on conquest class. The OV is the most spacious counting the part inside. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And the USCG did absolutely nothing with your pictures, since they have no jurisdiction over what goes on in a cruise ship swimming pool, even a US flag one.  The only government agency that would be interested is the USPH/CDC.

I did send them to whichever agency you had mentioned in a post around when it happened (pre cooties).  It could have been the USPH/CDC.  The form was specific to cruise ship health violations.  I noted that the pool was not drained until end of day.  

4 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Carnival added pool attendants (not even lifeguards) because of a rash of drownings, near-drownings, and accidents in pools (on multiple lines).  It was a reactionary response to reduce bad press and potential liability, not anything to do with diapered or not potty trained kids in the pool.  I can assure you Carnival doesn't give a crap (pun intended) about that in comparison to the bad publicity and liability for drownings and near-drownings.

Actually, this was before that, that crew are not life guards and I said "coincidental".  They  care far more about passing health regs than accidental drownings.  The public response to the water accidents put the blame on the guests and unattended kids, not the cruise line.  

On 3/12/2024 at 1:45 PM, drolltroll said:

Sister looking into a last minute cruise and all accessible cabins are full obviously. The PVP is saying since all accessibles are full, she can't bring a wheel chair or a scooter, even if it fits through the cabin door.

Sister says Heald on facebook says as long as it fits through the cabin door, it does not matter whether your in an accessible cabin or not but PVP wants to argue that is not true..

Can anyone give first hand experience on this and doesn't all of the scooter rentals for cruising allow for any door entry or is that something to be aware of?

The man's name is John Heald.  Be a bit more respectful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, ronrythm said:
5 hours ago, Noledad77 said:

867-5309

Ask for Jenny.

I suspect she might have changed her number by now even though many have said "don't change your number". You might ask for Rikki, you don't want to call nobody else.

Edited by Destiny0315
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, fair-winds39 said:

hopefully Carnival will really enforce their rules for wheelchairs, scooters, etc.

I can report that on Panorama recently I saw virtually no empty scooters anywhere, so either the guests were being very courteous or the policy is being strictly enforced. Or maybe both!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Rash of drownings and near drownings??  Love to see the link to that.  How many is a rash anyways.... 1, 2, 846??

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I will be humming that in my head for the rest of the day now.....  I do miss Jenny

Nothing to do with anything relevant here, but I was recently on a music charter with Tommy Tutone, who most famously played that song. I'm sure he did several versions of it. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 7:08 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Doorways are the same size.  No one in the terminal will say a word since most are not Carnival employees.  

I wasn't suggesting the doors are different widths.  It was more just a warning that getting the scootaround rentals through the cabin door is a challenge- but it fits.  I mean it is a challenge for someone who is not ON the scooter.  So a single person without assistance may struggle to get the scooter in the cabin- but the scootaround rentals do go through the doors.  

Was thinking about how easily we were able to get around inside our balcony cabin on Magic, and it did occur to me that if I had tried park that scooter in a regular balcony cabin on Mardi Gras or Celebration, we would have been climbing over the scooter to get to the beds or balcony.  Those balcony rooms are narrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pjhootch said:

I wasn't suggesting the doors are different widths.  It was more just a warning that getting the scootaround rentals through the cabin door is a challenge- but it fits.  I mean it is a challenge for someone who is not ON the scooter.  So a single person without assistance may struggle to get the scooter in the cabin- but the scootaround rentals do go through the doors.  

Was thinking about how easily we were able to get around inside our balcony cabin on Magic, and it did occur to me that if I had tried park that scooter in a regular balcony cabin on Mardi Gras or Celebration, we would have been climbing over the scooter to get to the beds or balcony.  Those balcony rooms are narrow.

They are about 20 or 30 sq ft smaller than the usual Carnival balcony.  

This rule was always there they are just choosing to enforce it now. Should have been enforcing it from the beginning instead of making everyone crawl over a million scooters in the hallways. But said scooter has to fit through the door of your cabin and has to stay there when you are in your cabin. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Nothing to do with anything relevant here, but I was recently on a music charter with Tommy Tutone, who most famously played that song. I'm sure he did several versions of it. 

Probably because it's the only song he knows.

• Haha 1

I have never really had an issue with scooters in the hallways.  just sailed on the Pride last week and didn't see any scooters in the halls.

We rented a scooter in December 2023, as my wife just had ankle surgery, so that was our first time dealing with it.  We had an interior room and the scooter pretty much took up most of the floor space.

On scooter widths, the standard cabin doors are 21" wide.  the "standard" 3-wheel scooter, most people rent, is 20" wide, so tight but doable.  The Scoot Around company, that Carnival partners with, also has a newer hybrid wheel chair/scooter that is not as long but has 4 wheels.  We were going to get that option because it seemed more portable for taxis in ports and had a tighter turning radius, but the width of it was listed at 21" so the Scooter Round rep said he couldn't guarantee it would fit.

• Thanks 2