Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

18 minutes ago, nelblu said:

No problem with parking with 2 ships.  When sailed in August there was Oasis and Liberty and they opened up the outside lots for overflow parking.

However, 3 ships would be a problem.

It would be four ships total: the two current RCCL ships, +1 Celebrity ship and the addition of the Vision. I wonder if Royal is seriously considering if the Vision can sail out of Philadelphia. Otherwise, it may end up having their entire summer sailings moved to Florida (Jacksonville?).

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

I would say approximately zero.  This bridge is largely intact.  Gonna take a week or two or more  develop some type of plan.  Then the execution will take alot of time.   Probably months realistically.   I suppose they will have to blow it up,  i cant see another way to get it to small enough parts to then lift out.  Look how long it took to get the evergreen out.  

Some port guy interviewed on tv thinks it will take until fall to clear the channel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Weeks Marine has a 500 ton salvage crane barge (Weeks 533) based in NJ, though it is currently in Boston.

I believe Maryland DOT has a bridge removal company dismantling the old Nice Bridge, which carried US 301 over the Potomac at the MD/VA border.  While it’s mostly a standard span bridge, it does/did have a steel truss section (nowhere near as large/long) so they may have equipment there that could be repurposed for this emergency relatively quickly.  

(Seems you have resources that can check on this possibility.) 

16 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

The next two cruises will be out of Bayonne and Royal has some time to take a breath and contemplate what ever comes

If they are not outright cancelled I definitely see them sailing from Bayonne as the leading option.  If that is the route they take then I see guests being given the option of a full refund plus FCC or they sail with a FCC of some amount.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, toad455 said:

After looking at April 2024 compared to May 2024, I think the two first cruises before the dry dock can be accommodated.

I have to admit, the three ships during May will really be a squeeze for a fourth ship, the Vision.

Get the shoe horn out.

I think the parking will be a problem with four ships let alone the dock scheduling.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If they are not outright cancelled I definitely see them sailing from Bayonne as the leading option.  If that is the route they take then I see guests being given the option of a full refund plus FCC or they sail with a FCC of some amount.

Still a toss-up. You and I are staring at our crystal balls only to find they are bowling balls.

I still think Royal wants to maximize the revenue if possible.

I will buy you a drink if I am wrong. You present a good case for cancellation and I have the money for your drink put aside.

I am not so sure about reading everything right.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BDevilCruiser said:

I believe Maryland DOT has a bridge removal company dismantling the old Nice Bridge, which carried US 301 over the Potomac at the MD/VA border.  While it’s mostly a standard span bridge, it does/did have a steel truss section (nowhere near as large/long) so they may have equipment there that could be repurposed for this emergency relatively quickly.  

(Seems you have resources that can check on this possibility.) 

While the MDOT maintains the bridge, and will be responsible for the rebuilding, the US Army Corps of Engineers is responsible for the shipping channel under the Key bridge, so they will be the lead agency involved in clearing the wreckage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

After looking at April 2024 compared to May 2024, I think the two first cruises before the dry dock can be accommodated.

I have to admit, the three ships during May will really be a squeeze for a fourth ship, the Vision.

Get the shoe horn out.

I think the parking will be a problem with four ships let alone the dock scheduling.

I can see no issue whatsoever with dock scheduling. There are no other cruise ships due in port on any of Vision’s turnaround days in 2024.

Parking may well be an issue, but it’s not an insurmountable one. They can always shuttle people to & from parking lots further afield, like Carnival does at Long Beach where the garage is too small to cope with two ships.

This is an emergency situation. There’s no perfect solution and there will inevitably be disruption and inconvenience. All Royal can do is minimise it and do its best by its guests. But it can’t and won’t please everybody.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Still a toss-up. You and I are staring at our crystal balls only to find they are bowling balls.

I still think Royal wants to maximize the revenue if possible.

I will buy you a drink if I am wrong. You present a good case for cancellation and I have the money for your drink put aside.

I am not so sure about reading everything right.

Honestly most of the money comes from sailing. Grats help pay the crew, drink packages and a lot of other add ons and discretionary purchases are the key.They will do better with guests onboard than canceling and giving future cruises for free will still mostly be paid for by that sailing’s add ons.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

Honestly most of the money comes from sailing. Grats help pay the crew, drink packages and a lot of other add ons and discretionary purchases are the key.

Cruise fares basically cover the overhead.  Onboard spending gives the profit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

I can see no issue whatsoever with dock scheduling. There are no cruise ships due in port on any of Vision’s turnaround days in 2024.

Parking may well be an issue, but it’s not an insurmountable one. They can always shuttle people to & from parking lots further afield, like Carnival does at Long Beach.

Plausible rebuttal. Keep the thought process going.

Heck, Royal should pay us for our analysis.

I always hate far offsite parking. So much can happen to your car in eight to nine days.

Arriving at your car that has been vandalized or worst, stolen, is a real downer after a vacation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I always hate far offsite parking. So much can happen to your car in eight to nine days.

Arriving at your car that has been vandalized or worst, stolen, is a real downer after a vacation.

Sure, it’s not ideal. But if there have to be compromises, parking is a relatively minor one. If folks aren’t happy they’ll almost certainly have the opportunity to cancel or move to another sailing.

Edited by gumshoe958

1 minute ago, gumshoe958 said:

Sure, it’s not ideal. But if there have to be compromises, parking is a relatively minor one. If folks aren’t happy they’ll almost certainly have the opportunity to cancel or move to another sailing.

Good point.

Another option, do the hotel and park near the terminal and shuttle to the terminal.

The hotel has a vested interest in keeping your car safe for future visits.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I would probably be very unhappy with the cost of parking in Bayonne vs. other ports. 

As @gumshoe958 stated: "might need to compromise" during this unique situation.

Everyone must make their own decisions and yours might be based on parking fees. I get it because Bayonne is not my favorite cruise parking terminal if you are not in their covered garage parking. For most of the year, it is reserved for handicap parking.

You are then left to the great outdoors. It is a "Wild World" (Cat Stevens, 1970) out there.

😬

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
grammer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mo&fran said:

I was surprised that the tugs didn't continue to accompany the ship, at least to get the ship past the bridge.

It’s not a requirement under the Key Bridge

35963BCB-6D3B-4D87-BC26-A46DF56FC73D.jpeg

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The resumption of cruising, just like commercial shipping, will not depend on rebuilding the bridge, only on removing the debris from the shipping channel, not even the outer arches which are outside the channel.  But, yes, it will take 2-4 months to accomplish that.

Once the channel is open, do you think there may be additional restrictions limiting the number of ships or when it can be used?

I would think cargo ships would have priority. Just wondering if the cruise lines do not have a 100% guarantee of access, whatever short-term temporary plans they have for Vision might become long term temporary plans.

31 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Good point.

Another option, do the hotel and park near the terminal and shuttle to the terminal.

The hotel has a vested interest in keeping your car safe for future visits.

Similar to the many Park-Sleep-Fly deals at hotels near airports, maybe Royal can reach a deal with some of the parking lots around Newark Airport. Or better yet, MetLife stadium. It has a 28,000  car parking lot. With a 2,400 passenger capacity and 2-3 people per car, Royal would need 800-900 parking spots max! Probably less for those being dropped off or flying/Amtrak. 

Other than a concert every other week there isn't much going on there until Sept. And even then, there isn't much going on😄😉

I can see it in the Cruise Planner now. "Pre-Cruise packing package includes secure parking spot, free shuttle to and from cruise port and 1 welcome aboard drink. Book now & save 30% and Kids Park for Free"🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Far off-site parking, such as at MetLife, is certainly not going to attract people to keep the cruise even though it's not in Baltimore anymore. The bags are going to be another issue. And I probably left my car in a Meadowlands parking lot overnight sometime in my New Jersey career, I would not have liked to do it if people could tell no one's coming back for the car for ten or twelve days ...

31 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Once the channel is open, do you think there may be additional restrictions limiting the number of ships or when it can be used?

I would think cargo ships would have priority. Just wondering if the cruise lines do not have a 100% guarantee of access, whatever short-term temporary plans they have for Vision might become long term temporary plans.

Until the channel is 100% cleared of debris by the Corps of Engineers, no ship will traverse it, but once clear, there will be no limitation on number of ships.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1