What I Didn’t See on Ruby Princess

57eric

I recently returned from the 14 Night Circle Caribbean voyage on Ruby Princess.  Hats off to Princess for the ship’s layout, décor, condition, crew and itinerary.

This was only my second Princess trip, and first since 2017, so I’m no expert and expecting to be corrected on some of the following observations.

I didn’t see:

• ·         Future MD dinner menus on the app.  I spoke to two dining room managers early in the cruise.  Both confirmed that this wasn’t right and both promised to address it.  Nothing ever happened.   Only the current day’s menu appeared, regardless of which date you were pulling up.

• ·         Trash receptacles in public areas.   If you had something to throw away, you could go to your cabin, go to a public restroom, or leave it for a crew member to pick up.

• ·         A drop box at guest services.  I had three forms to turn in.  Each time I had to hand it to someone at the desk.  A drop box seems like a no brainer.  Shore Excursions, Future Cruise Sales and the Wake Show each have one.

• ·         A repeat performance by mentalist/illusionist Julien Losa.  Mr. Losa was introduced as the resident on board magician.  He performed a spectacular act on day 5 and never appeared again.  The implication was that he is a regular crew member.  Recall that this was a 14 day cruise.

• ·         The principal enrichment speaker, after the third sea day.  Pat McCormack was lined up to speak on each of the five sea days but vanished after three lectures.

• ·         A filled time slot for Sabatini’s.  While the Crown Grill was essentially booked solid on the app prior to sailing, Sabatini’s never showed a single time slot unavailable.   This is a mystery to me as they seem to be equally popular and have roughly the same capacity.

• ·         Paper napkins.  I exclude cocktail napkins here, and I don’t expect to see any in the MDRs.  However, at the buffet and the deck eateries there were cloth napkins with cutlery or nothing.  Maybe it’s just me, but I like to be able to wipe my fingers when eating handheld foods and prefer not to do it on the napkin in my lap.  Using a second cloth napkin and cutlery set seems very wasteful.

• ·         Information about when to begin setting luggage out for disembarkation.  OK, a minor point.  People were setting bags out hours before the crew begin removing them.  How hard would it be to indicate a start time in the instructions?

We were also on this sailing

Future MD dinner menus on the app.  I spoke to two dining room managers early in the cruise.  Both confirmed that this wasn’t right and both promised to address it.  Nothing ever happened.   Only the current day’s menu appeared, regardless of which date you were pulling up.”

we minded this at first and then later didn’t mind the surprise every day. Some new entrees and desserts appeared which were nice surprises.

There have never been future menus on the app.  
If you want paper napkins bring your own they belong at McDonalds not a cruise ship. If you use a paper making it cannot be washed and reused. Talk about  real waste

Specialty restaurants are never booked fully on line. We always eat several meals in them and never make arrangements until on board

As far as putting bags out the tell you in writing when they need to be put out. There is no real starting time 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Agreed, it wasn't a big deal.  In theory, we might have adjusted some plans based on a future menu, but that's probably overthinking.  The point was it was implied it would work, I was told it should work, and it didn't work.

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

There have never been future menus on the app.  
If you want paper napkins bring your own they belong at McDonalds not a cruise ship. If you use a paper making it cannot be washed and reused. Talk about  real waste

Specialty restaurants are never booked fully on line. We always eat several meals in them and never make arrangements until on board

As far as putting bags out the tell you in writing when they need to be put out. There is no real starting time 

One paper napkin vs. having to wash a cloth napkin and a set of cutlery?  We have different concepts of waste.

I should clarify "fully booked on line".  I realize that fully booked on the app doesn't mean fully booked in reality.  What I meant was showing fully booked on the app.

The Assistant Manager in Reserve Collection (can't speak for others) has a printed menu spreadsheet in his/her pocket.  I have been able to ask what the "theme" was, or maybe a dish or two, or even which specialty dessert/dish (s)he was going to make during the week so I could plan where I wanted to dine.

It was prefaced with....subject to change, depending on food availability.  Or what the chef prepares/sets out for the specialty dessert.

In general, menus are printed in advance.  I have viewed a menu a day or two into the future.  Have not asked for anything more than that.

It is easier to wash a cloth napkin/utensils verses trying to dispose of paper waste.  They have all the water they need.  

I agree with you regarding trash cans in public spaces.  You will see them out and about when the weather is rough and barf bags are taped to the railings.  

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I can't speak about the Ruby, but on the Crown last September I was able to pull up any day's menu in advance to determine when we might want to book a specialty dinner.

51 minutes ago, 57eric said:

One paper napkin vs. having to wash a cloth napkin and a set of cutlery?  We have different concepts of waste.

I should clarify "fully booked on line".  I realize that fully booked on the app doesn't mean fully booked in reality.  What I meant was showing fully booked on the app.

Washing is cheap paper waste with food on it cannot or at least should not be recycled but thrown in garbage. Spoken as a person who recycled as possible

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TM said:

I can't speak about the Ruby, but on the Crown last September I was able to pull up any day's menu in advance to determine when we might want to book a specialty dinner.

I was on the Crown last month and you could only see the current days menu 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 57eric said:

Why would I want to book in advance and have to pay in advance when I have always been able to book when on board

Edited by memoak

Posted (edited)

Drinks are served on cocktail napkins.  Public bathrooms have paper hand towels.  Carry a facecloth from your room.  Return it at the end of the day and your steward will gladly add it to laundry collection (for free).

BTW...maybe Princess purposely does not place trash cans about.  Then someone would have to go through it to sort recyclables from waste.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I have never been on a ship that had trash cans or paper napkins.

57 minutes ago, memoak said:

Likewise

On every Princess cruise we did before the shutdown there were trash receptacles at every elevator bay. These disappeared with the restart. On our recent Grand Princess trip there were receptacles near the burger place and pizza place on Lido deck. They had trash / recycle openings.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 57eric said:

·         A drop box at guest services.  I had three forms to turn in.  Each time I had to hand it to someone at the desk.  A drop box seems like a no brainer.  Shore Excursions, Future Cruise Sales and the Wake Show each have one.

• ·         The principal enrichment speaker, after the third sea day.  Pat McCormack was lined up to speak on each of the five sea days but vanished after three lectures.

• ·      Paper napkins. 

•           People were setting bags out hours before the crew begin removing them. 

•  

Have seen a drop box at Guest Services on some ships.

The speaker (singer, entertainer, waiter, etc.) disappeared.  Can you say covid.

They are trying to do away with paper products.  They have a tendency to blow overboard.

We always run a pool to guess the earliest bag sighting the last day.  Earliest was 2:30.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 57eric said:

I too prefer paper napkins and assumed they burned paper waste, hate the slick cloth napkins to wipe my fingers.  We tend to grab a handful of paper napkins from the IC cafe each time we get coffee and sometimes take with us to the buffet. 

Thanks for the responses.  My cruises in the last few years on other lines have always had paper napkins (in addition to cloth) in the buffet and plentiful trash containers.  On Ruby I never saw paper napkins in the IC; maybe cocktail napkins by the coffee.

I was on board the same cruise as well as the prior sailing.

-Years ago there were trash bins by the elevators. I don't know why Princess removed them. Items like coffee cups, soda cans and such I just left on the table. Princess always has people walking around to pick these things up. It's not like McDonald's where you bus your own table.

- Believe Julien Losa was the magician in the Magic To Do production show. He had been on board the previous sailing. Magic To Do was the last show on the previous sailing and the first show on your sailing. He probably disembarked after the show to make room for other entertainers. I have been told n the past that cabin space for entertainers is scarce.

- I have been on many Princess cruises. Sabatini's is always less popular then the Crown Grill. I don't see this as an issue. I was able to dine at both restaurants. I booked time slots via the dine line once on board to use OBC.

- Paper Napkins. Princess doesn't use them very much. You can ask. Just use the nice cloth napkins and don't worry about the why.

- Disembarkation luggage. Information was mentioned in the disembarkation instructions provided in your cabin. It mentioned to place your luggage outside your cabin before 9pm. You must have missed it.

- I can't comment regarding the speaker other than to mention that he was on board the previous sailing. I don't attend the presentations and don't pay too much attention. I will guess that Princess felt that once the ship started stopping each day a speaker was no longer required and they required to space for other entertainers.

-

-

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Therese S. said:

I too prefer paper napkins and assumed they burned paper waste, hate the slick cloth napkins to wipe my fingers.  We tend to grab a handful of paper napkins from the IC cafe each time we get coffee and sometimes take with us to the buffet. 

I’ve seen those disappear about a year ago.  

We also have had many great cruise on the Ruby!  
Of note, we’ve sometimes found future menus available on the app over the last couple of years and then sometimes not.  We’ve also seen menus but then when we go, the selections are sometimes different.  It may have to do a with supply and demand and what is on hand. 
We’ve also experienced where a lecturer hasn’t shown up on the talks later in the cruise but found they’ve been filled in with some other great event.  There was a great naturalist on one of our cruises on the Ruby and was looking forward to her next lecture but found out she was traveling with her mother, who got sick and they had to disembark.  The new lecture was scheduled and given by the entertainment director about life in England in the 1800’s.  It was really quite fascinating, even though we only went because there was nothing else on our schedule.  Anyway, entertainers do get sick and are asked to be confined to their cabins or have emergencies at home.  It happens.  
I’ve noticed the paper napkins disappear over the last couple of year and Princess is definitely working on reusables and recyclables only.  They are really making an effort in getting rid of the single use products.  I still see the paper napkins available for cocktails and I always tell them, you can reuse my same napkin, as I don’t need a new one. I know that when in Glacier Bay, nothing that is not reusable is given out.  Not even paper cups for coffee.  I actually wish the coffee was only served in porcelain cups.  I know they can break but I much prefer it than drinking my coffee out of a paper cup.  

Of note, we know they have to separate the trash and found it interesting that those little straw picks (for olive spears in your cocktail) have clogged up the machines that grind the food so are being eliminated.  We always try to separate our recyclables from non recyclables for our room steward ahead of time.  I’ve seen trash bins up at the pool area that are separated into bottles and cans and trash. I honestly can’t remember if I’ve seen them recently.  
Same goes for the drop boxes .. I just can’t remember if I’ve seen them lately.  It made me laugh at myself when I mentioned there were no longer kiosks where I could print out my folio.  As my dad used to say, “good thing that wasn’t a rattlesnake” as it was right behind me.  😆 

I fully support the reduced waste, though as I can just look it up in my app and save on paper waste.  
Yea, the Crown Grill always seems to be booked more fully than Sabatini’s.  If you cruise on a Royal class ship, it will probably be The Catch that is the restaurant that is booked up!  I prefer it over the Crown Grill.  I used to love Sabatini’s but since they’ve changed their menu about a year ago, I no longer have a favorite dish there.  Oh well!  

" It made me laugh at myself when I mentioned there were no longer kiosks where I could print out my folio."

There were two of them on deck 6, one on each side across from the stores near the Piazza stairs.

14 minutes ago, skynight said:

" It made me laugh at myself when I mentioned there were no longer kiosks where I could print out my folio."

There were two of them on deck 6, one on each side across from the stores near the Piazza stairs.

That’s why I had to laugh at myself .. as they were right behind me.  

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We also have had many great cruise on the Ruby!  
Of note, we’ve sometimes found future menus available on the app over the last couple of years and then sometimes not.  We’ve also seen menus but then when we go, the selections are sometimes different.  It may have to do a with supply and demand and what is on hand. 
We’ve also experienced where a lecturer hasn’t shown up on the talks later in the cruise but found they’ve been filled in with some other great event.  There was a great naturalist on one of our cruises on the Ruby and was looking forward to her next lecture but found out she was traveling with her mother, who got sick and they had to disembark.  The new lecture was scheduled and given by the entertainment director about life in England in the 1800’s.  It was really quite fascinating, even though we only went because there was nothing else on our schedule.  Anyway, entertainers do get sick and are asked to be confined to their cabins or have emergencies at home.  It happens.  
I’ve noticed the paper napkins disappear over the last couple of year and Princess is definitely working on reusables and recyclables only.  They are really making an effort in getting rid of the single use products.  I still see the paper napkins available for cocktails and I always tell them, you can reuse my same napkin, as I don’t need a new one. I know that when in Glacier Bay, nothing that is not reusable is given out.  Not even paper cups for coffee.  I actually wish the coffee was only served in porcelain cups.  I know they can break but I much prefer it than drinking my coffee out of a paper cup.  

Of note, we know they have to separate the trash and found it interesting that those little straw picks (for olive spears in your cocktail) have clogged up the machines that grind the food so are being eliminated.  We always try to separate our recyclables from non recyclables for our room steward ahead of time.  I’ve seen trash bins up at the pool area that are separated into bottles and cans and trash. I honestly can’t remember if I’ve seen them recently.  
Same goes for the drop boxes .. I just can’t remember if I’ve seen them lately.  It made me laugh at myself when I mentioned there were no longer kiosks where I could print out my folio.  As my dad used to say, “good thing that wasn’t a rattlesnake” as it was right behind me.  😆 

I fully support the reduced waste, though as I can just look it up in my app and save on paper waste.  
Yea, the Crown Grill always seems to be booked more fully than Sabatini’s.  If you cruise on a Royal class ship, it will probably be The Catch that is the restaurant that is booked up!  I prefer it over the Crown Grill.  I used to love Sabatini’s but since they’ve changed their menu about a year ago, I no longer have a favorite dish there.  Oh well!  

Still love the carbonara pasta in Sabatini’s. Always have it on embarkation night