Request for a Cruise Meal Box for Excursions

akaCruiser

Does anyone know if you can request for small packed snack box from the Buffet for the purpose of having it during an excursion? There were times that we would just grab a sandwich from International Cafe or just go to the Buffet and make your own meal, but I heard that if you request you can actually get a small meal box.

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

I’ve never heard of this and don’t think such a thing exists - at least not on Princess. 

In fact, they make it quite clear you are not allowed to take any fresh food off the ship. 

If you are on a Princess excursion that includes lunch they will sometimes serve a box lunch - but that is provided by the tour vendor and sourced in the port. 

Only packaged items are allowed off the ship - we sometimes pack protein bars for snacks to take with us on shore days. Back in the day when they still served little boxes of cereal in the buffet, my kids would usually pack a few of those as a snack. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, akaCruiser said:

Does anyone know if you can request for small packed snack box from the Buffet for the purpose of having it during an excursion? There were times that we would just grab a sandwich from International Cafe or just go to the Buffet and make your own meal, but I heard that if you request you can actually get a small meal box.

Thanks in advance.

Most ports will not allow fresh food off the ship 

• Like 8

The dogs checking for food in Cozumel will certainly alert on you.

Most countries have rules on importing food or agricultural products, including the US.  Major infestations of things like the Mediterranean Fruit Fly caused the policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for you feedback. Wasn't looking to bring fruit off the ship, just was looking for a sandwich or small snack item like cookies to nibble on, on a 5 to 8 hour excursions in Europe. 

Protein bars or even lunch-sized cans of tuna or chicken (unopened, of course) are acceptable every place we’ve traveled, even in strict New Zealand, where your water bottles have to be commercially bottled and unopened when you leave the ship. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, akaCruiser said:

Thanks all for you feedback. Wasn't looking to bring fruit off the ship, just was looking for a sandwich or small snack item like cookies to nibble on, on a 5 to 8 hour excursions in Europe. 

Packaged cookies would be ok - sandwich would be a no no because it’s still fresh food. 

Those Europe tours can be long. I would suggest packing some of your favorite packaged snacks to take along if you don’t want to get food in port - although trying local food is on of the joys of traveling! You can purchase bottled water or sodas to bring on your excursions as you leave the ship. 

• Like 1

There was an announcement at every port on our recent cruise not to bring any food, fruit, flowers, agricultural and other items off the ship. Pre-packaged food items such as granola bars, and sealed bottles of drink are normally allowed. 

Does anyone have any Mexico experiences for bringing water onshore?

In the past, we have brought our refillable Brita filter water bottles onshore…does it have to be a sealed bottle of water now?

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Does anyone have any Mexico experiences for bringing water onshore?

In the past, we have brought our refillable Brita filter water bottles onshore…does it have to be a sealed bottle of water now?

We were just on a Mexican Riviera cruise over New Year’s on Discovery, and my daughter and her husband were both able to bring their Stanley jugs, which like any self respecting Gen Z, they cannot function without! 😂

• Haha 6

21 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

We were just on a Mexican Riviera cruise over New Year’s on Discovery, and my daughter and her husband were both able to bring their Stanley jugs, which like any self respecting Gen Z, they cannot function without! 😂

Thanks…we’ll be on Discovery in a few days. 😊

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks…we’ll be on Discovery in a few days. 😊

Enjoy! Leave all the rain behind and enjoy some Margaritas in the sunshine!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

This made me smile.  For Christmas this year my granddaughter gave me a pretty pink Stanley tumbler because she thought it would be great to take with me on cruises.  I didn’t know at the time that these tumblers were such silly status symbols.  Oh well, it will be coming with me on our upcoming Enchanted Princess sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

This made me smile.  For Christmas this year my granddaughter gave me a pretty pink Stanley tumbler because she thought it would be great to take with me on cruises.  I didn’t know at the time that these tumblers were such silly status symbols.  Oh well, it will be coming with me on our upcoming Enchanted Princess sailing.

If you want to be tres cool - be sure to add some stickers! 

I think my kids have multiple colors - my son in law has one that is so large we call it his hump - as in camel’s hump!

I can always rest assured they are well hydrated and eco friendly.  I must admit they are handy - except my daughter always seems to be leaving hers behind somewhere or other. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, akaCruiser said:

"Just" a sandwich is likely going to have meat, cheese, and/or vegetables, all of which are prohibited as fresh/unpackaged/unpreserved food brought ashore.

This "just" mentality is the exactly the problem with cruisers today who "just" want to do what's easy, convenient, or pleasing for themselves even when they know it's against the rules.  And in doing so they ruin things for everyone else.

On land food, safety rules that regulate food establishments state that food can only be kept out at ambient temperatures for 2 hours.  After which, it has to be put in the fridge or thrown out.  Food is food for humans and food for microorganisms.  If someone were to get sick because of this sort of negligence of a food establishment, the establishment is liable.

I think part of the problem with brining food like a sandwich off the ship is food safety.  If, for example, you bring a sandwich off the ship and you don't keep at the proper temperature (which is impossible since you're not toting around a fridge), and you get sick, it's a liability for the ship and Princess.  Even with the hold harmless clause in the passage contract, it's potential for bad PR for Princess.

I think one work around, is to plan ahead, and go to a supermarket before embarkation or in a port and purchase prepackaged snacks to bring on excursions for upcoming ports.

Many years ago cruise lines did exactly what you described about packing lunches but I don't recall Princess doing so. 

Your best option is to pack a few shelf stable items and bring yourself. When my daughter was competing, we'd be at the gym at 7am and there sometimes until 9 or 10 pm. You weren't allowed to bring in coolers, but the athletes were allowed to bring "snacks" (basically non perishables). So I got very creative!

Here are some examples:

1. individual shelf stable hummus (you can buy on Amazon) with individual pita chip packages (I buy Stacy's brand at Dollar Tree). You can add individual pouches of olives (my daughter loves these) you can get at Cost Plus

2. Individual peanut butter packages with a box of crackers or individual pretzel chip (again, Dollar Tree). You can bring individual jelly packets as well.

3. prepackages dried fruit from Trader Joes

4. individually wrapped peanut butter crackers.

5. Individual tuna salad with crackers.

6. Trail mix

Dollar Tree has lots of oversized individual portions. You can get an oversized rice krispie treat (for 2 or 3 to share), lots of different kinds of nuts, crackers, etc. Another good choice is Cost Plus, because all their food is shelf stable. Mine has a part of an aisle for individual portion sized items.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, akaCruiser said:

Here's an option that you might like. We carry these for long hikes or situations where we want a little something. Wasteful packaging, but they do work well and are available at any grocery store in the canned fish section. Amazon.com : StarKist Lunch To-Go Chunk Light Mix Your Own Tuna Salad - (Pack of 5) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

You are allowed to bring food ashore in Iceland.  We're doing excursions and they actually recommend bringing food from the ship.  I checked the rules and there is no problem so check the rules for wherever you're visiting.

On my last cruise in the Caribbean,  I was aghast as I watched a table of 4 make and pack sandwiches and snacks at breakfast to take off for their day ashore. Their creativity was amazing. I tried to tell myself, well, if they were on the ship they'd be eating it. But, I'm sorry, I think that is just wrong.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

I hate those things.  And they are not even leak proof.  I pick up my daughter from school most afternoons and I'm in a sea of yoga pants and Stanley mugs.  And then there is me in wool-poly slacks and a polo shirt with a company logo on it.  I'm not sure if it is me that is out of place or them looking kooky.

As for Alaska or the U.S., they explicitly say you cannot bring anything off ship.  That will be announced and signs will be posted.  We tend to eat hearty before a port visit, and we have some granola or protein bars with us that we brought on board in case the urge comes up.  We will eat on shore if we "trust" the port location, but if not, we will wait to eat until we get back on board.

Edited by jeromep
Additional detail.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jeromep said:

I hate those things.  And they are not even leak proof.  I pick up my daughter from school most afternoons and I'm in a sea of yoga pants and Stanley mugs.  And then there is me in wool-poly slacks and a polo shirt with a company logo on it.  I'm not sure if it is me that is out of place or them looking kooky.

Not doing the school pick ups anymore, but your description gave me such a great visual! I was reminded of picking up my daughter and her bridesmaids to drive them to the Catalina Island ferry terminal for her bachelorette party weekend. They were all in yoga wear with their Stanley’s. It’s like the Gen Z girl uniform. 

But then I remember my Mom picking me up from high school in my mini skirt and wildly curly big permed hair and I realize I should probably cut them some slack! I am

sure my Mom shook her head too!

• Like 1