Tell me about neighborhood balconies...

I absolutely love Central Park balconies, especially if you are on a lower floor. At night it is lovely out, with calm live music playing in the park until 9:30 or so. Yes, you can hear noise from the pool deck during the day, but it usually isn't bad.

Boardwalk balconies can be quite loud pretty late at night if there are events in the aqua theatre.

Posted (edited)

It will only be a Central Park or Boardwalk neighborhood balcony if you booked an XN GTY.  It will be an ocean view balcony if you booked an XB GTY.  They are different GTY categories with their own sub-category GYT assignments. Check what you booked to confirm.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

I like that boardwalk feels more open and you can see out the aft, but noisy. Like central park for a quiet place but no ocean view. I've done both pros and cons. Boardwalk further to walk back. Its behind the aft elevators. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It will only be a Central Park or Boardwalk neighborhood balcony if you booked an XN GTY.  It will be an ocean view balcony if you booked an XB GTY.  They are different GTY categories with their own sub-category GYT assignments. Check what you booked to confirm.

On the website there is rarely the option.  Most time is just says balcony guarantee and the invoice does not show XN or XB.  It is really only those booking through a TA that get that option and only the TA invoices that show the actual categories

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On the website there is rarely the option.  Most time is just says balcony guarantee and the invoice does not show XN or XB.  It is really only those booking through a TA that get that option and only the TA invoices that show the actual categories

If i may , i would like to hijack this thread to ask you a question, as i know you are an expert in all things RC .🙂

If i were to book two balcony cabins ( the connecting kind ) , one for me and one for my wife,

and we go as solo , one person in each of the cabins , i know we get double points for booking solo , but might we get quadruple points ? ( we are both Diamond if that matters )

And one other question, is there group rates for connecting ocean view  balcony rooms ?

Looking at Symphony .

Many thanks in advance .

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, loman said:

If i were to book two balcony cabins ( the connecting kind ) , one for me and one for my wife,

and we go as solo , one person in each of the cabins , i know we get double points for booking solo , but might we get quadruple points ? ( we are both Diamond if that matters )

1 point for balcony (or lower)

1 point for solo

1 point for JS or above (not applicable to your question)

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, loman said:

If i may , i would like to hijack this thread to ask you a question, as i know you are an expert in all things RC .🙂

And one other question, is there group rates for connecting ocean view  balcony rooms ?

Looking at Symphony .

Many thanks in advance .

No such thing as quadruple points.  

You each have your own point totals though only the highest persons shows so you will each get 14 points added to your individual total. (assuming a 7 day cruise)

There are no connecting oceanviews available on SY as they are a separate category not offered at group rates.

Group rates on SY are only offered in the 2D and 4D ofr OV balconies.

There are connecting CP and BW balconies available as there is no separate category for those connecting rooms.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I've checked our booking and it only shows balcony GTY without a type.

2 minutes ago, AMommyof2 said:

I've checked our booking and it only shows balcony GTY without a type.

That's all it will ever show if you book directly through Royal.  You can call and ask but I'll bet that it is a neighborhood gty

We were on Allure and had a Central Park Balcony on deck 11.  We loved it and had no issues with noise, but I personally did miss the ocean at times.  In the evening listening to the music and sitting out in the morning when we ordered breakfast was very nice.

We just had a boardwalk balcony on Wonder deck 14 and I was really concerned about noise because we were under the Windjammer…….nothing!  Only noise was when the aqua show was on because of the loud music. I too would rather have an ocean view, but we needed an accessible room and that was the only balcony left.

3 hours ago, loman said:

i know we get double points for booking solo , but might we get quadruple points ?

You are two years late for that - RCI had a promo during the COVID restart when booking solo got you 4 points per night.

23 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You are two years late for that - RCI had a promo during the COVID restart when booking solo got you 4 points per night.

Ah yes , i recall getting 4 points per night when i booked a crown loft on Allure during that 

promo for the two of us. The suite was also heavily discounted at the time.

I have stayed in numerous CP and BW balconies. The big downside to these cabins is people can easily see into your cabins from other cabins. We rarely close the curtains when staying in an OV balcony, but it is just the opposite in a CP or BW balcony. 

On 4/4/2024 at 10:22 AM, jacobtsf said:

Boardwalk balconies can be quite loud pretty late at night if there are events in the aqua theatre.

We stayed on the Oasis last January in a Boardwalk Balcony and I found the noise horrible.  For context, I try to be in bed by 9 and asleep before 10.  The aqua show ran til 11pm a couple of nights.  It was so loud!  Also, the carousel runs during the day and there are ringing bells for that, too.  I will never stay in a room on the Boardwalk again. 

The truth is , if you find ocean view balconies are close in price to the inward facing balconies 

and you can swing the difference , get the ocean view.

No noise  and you can keep your curtains open.

I tried a boardwalk cabin when Oasis was a new ship for the novelty , but it was one and done.

Went back to ocean view after that.

• Like 1

We enjoyed the Boardwalk balcony cabins and had no problems with noise, so it's probably personal preference. When on the Icon next year, I upgraded from an inside to an infinite central park balcony and can't wait to experience that beautiful cabin! Would love to hear from anyone who has stayed in one of those!

We did the Oasis just after it started back up and had a Boardwalk Balcony aft on deck 10. We could see out to the water, enjoyed during in the balcony and people watched, and we watched every show (and rehearsal) in the Aqua Theater. The lack of privacy didn't bother us since we change in the bathroom! Loved it and would book it again.

IMG_0024.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cooncat_mom said:

We did the Oasis just after it started back up and had a Boardwalk Balcony aft on deck 10. We could see out to the water, enjoyed during in the balcony and people watched, and we watched every show (and rehearsal) in the Aqua Theater. The lack of privacy didn't bother us since we change in the bathroom! Loved it and would book it again.

IMG_0024.jpeg

Which room were you in? Curious how far back you can be and still get a decent view of the show and see the ocean?