A Different Way of Looking at Plus/Premier

Drew B 58

2 minutes ago, Cruise Feen said:

I just read about a drawback of the premier package.  Today I used the Princess app to make reservations for the Crown Grill even before I fully paid for my Nov. cruise;  in another post on this website a Princess customer who has the premier package for an upcoming cruise, was unable to make a reservation on the app.  He/She called Princess, they said they wouldn't be able to make reservations (lwhich is included in the Premier Package) until the cruise is paid in full.  This person asked about the possibility a specialty restaurant being fully booked by the time they paid for the cruise, the Princess Rep replied they wouldn't be able to do anything about that.  If you have a premier package and want to make reservation at the Crown Grill now,  you might wabt to consider paying for the cruise in full before the due date.

OK, in the app, I get to 'Reserve' and $90 ... where does it show the offset for the specialty dining credit with Premier?

OK, did you have Premier, or just paid by Credit Card?

and if anyone knows, if you have Premier, go ahead and pay by credit card, is the OBC that you get onboard for that ($180 for 2 x 2 dinners) "REFUNDABLE"?  I don't need non-refundable obc and I am well aware or the current way ... - and  ... cash out

Posted (edited)

I just read about a drawback of the premier package.  Today I used the Princess app to make reservations for the Crown Grill even before I fully paid for my Nov. cruise;  in another post on this website a Princess customer who has the premier package for an upcoming cruise, was unable to make a reservation on the app.  He/She called Princess, they said they wouldn't be able to make reservations (lwhich is included in the Premier Package) until the cruise is paid in full.  This person asked about the possibility a specialty restaurant being fully booked by the time they paid for the cruise, the Princess Rep replied they wouldn't be able to do anything about that.  If you have a premier package and want to make reservation at the Crown Grill now,  you might wabt to consider paying for the cruise in full before the due date. I don't have the Premier Package for Nov. Cruise and paid for the dinners with a credit card.

Edited by Cruise Feen
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Totally reasonable.  It's a fine line between doing the math for what you would have spent and what you'd be happy to have.  In a lot of cases, people end up covering the $60 fairly easily with just what they would have bought so it's not even necessary to dig any further.  This more stringent math is a better lowest common denominator for most discussions because typical nay-sayers will argue that if they wouldn't have bought it than it's automatically wasteful.  As pointed out though, it's not wasted if you enjoy it, and if having the package is what gave you the mental freedom to enjoy it, then there's legit value in that.

As with most things, YMMV, but the non-monetary benefits of the freeing mindset you get are a very valid justification if that's something you enjoy.  It's just a nuance that just doesn't go very far in a discussion with people who are trying to crap on the idea of packages because they like to have a bare bones vacation and think everyone else should too. I have not read this thread, it's way too long, but given the 9 pages of discussion I'll bet a few of these people have chimed in LOL

Edited by PMGS247
  • Like 1

DrewB58, yes the photo package is what sold it for me, as those are MY memories. 🙂  I had cruised Princess a few times before, but decided for the 8 of us to do the Regal, and we all wound up doing the Premier package. Yes there were a few things that I did not use the package for, but for the most part, it was worth it. As my son said, just do the packge and then we don't have to worry about being nickel-ed and dim-ed.

2 hours ago, Cruise Feen said:

I just read about a drawback of the premier package.  Today I used the Princess app to make reservations for the Crown Grill even before I fully paid for my Nov. cruise;  in another post on this website a Princess customer who has the premier package for an upcoming cruise, was unable to make a reservation on the app.  He/She called Princess, they said they wouldn't be able to make reservations (lwhich is included in the Premier Package) until the cruise is paid in full.  This person asked about the possibility a specialty restaurant being fully booked by the time they paid for the cruise, the Princess Rep replied they wouldn't be able to do anything about that.  If you have a premier package and want to make reservation at the Crown Grill now,  you might wabt to consider paying for the cruise in full before the due date.

A percentage of reservations are set aside for cruisers that wish to make reservations in person on the ship.  If the app tells you that there are no slots available, don't worry.  We'll be upgrading on board to Premier using OBC and will inquire about reservations as soon as we board before we even go to lunch.

lol I'm apparently too cheap even to get the classic soda package. (I drink alcohol minimally so plus not worth of it.) However, i've always thought of things like specialty coffees and specialty drinks to be treats and don't know how i'd feel about downing more than a drink a day. My last cruise i got 2 mocktails and 1 specialty coffee. So perhaps i can get 1 alcoholic drink 2 mocktails  and 1 specialty coffee and that will be a splurge for me. I was thinking of just getting 67.00 onboard credit and then i assume they would just swipe your medallion to pay and at least that part would be easier. I was also going to try and scrounge for some pop cans before the trip.

• Like 1

I just want to add that i've done a lot of reading on personal finance and people are totally correct that they'll get more enjoyment if they pay upfront and don't have to pay for each and every item from a monetary theory perspective. That's what is so great about cruises. I'm hoping by paying for onboard credit up front that i'll get at least some of that enjoyment.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

lol I'm apparently too cheap even to get the classic soda package. (I drink alcohol minimally so plus not worth of it.) However, i've always thought of things like specialty coffees and specialty drinks to be treats and don't know how i'd feel about downing more than a drink a day. My last cruise i got 2 mocktails and 1 specialty coffee. So perhaps i can get 1 alcoholic drink 2 mocktails  and 1 specialty coffee and that will be a splurge for me. I was thinking of just getting 67.00 onboard credit and then i assume they would just swipe your medallion to pay and at least that part would be easier. I was also going to try and scrounge for some pop cans before the trip.

Your 1 alcoholic, 2 mocktails and 1 specialty coffee per day, once you add in the gratuities and wifi puts you ahead of the cost of the plus package.

Then you'll also get medallion shipped to you, 2 casual meals, ocean now activation which will all be gravy.

You don't have to drink like a fish in order for it to work.  You can now indulge with a couple of small bottles of San Pellegrino with dinner and start your day with a glass of 8.00 fresh squeezed OJ at the juice bar as well.

• Like 2

I just booked our first Princess cruise a few days ago, and went Plus.  What I do is add up everything except drinks, calculating the value that those perks are worth to me.  For instance, we need 2 devices because we own a business, and it would financially cost us to have have them, so I give wifi 100% value.  Ocean Now, room service, fitness classes, unsure, so gave them $0.  It came to about $24 per day remaining for drinks.  That's more than we pay on Holland American (usually about $15), but I still went for it.  Without the package, I would get a glass of wine for dinner and a specialty coffee, so I'm already looking at what, $20 per day?  I'll take unlimited drinks for $4 more.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

You don't have to drink like a fish in order for it to work.

They'd like you think you don't but it's priced to Princess's advantage that unless you do, they're making a killing on the package.

Most of the cost is based on the alcohol and they know that the average cruiser won't come close to the max. 

9 minutes ago, 555 said:

They'd like you think you don't but it's priced to Princess's advantage that unless you do, they're making a killing on the package.

Most of the cost is based on the alcohol and they know that the average cruiser won't come close to the max. 

Nice to think I'm "above average" in something for a change!

Even on port days I can easily drink a few bottles of Peroni, a pre dinner drink and glasses of wine over dinner. It's thirsty work too dancing the night away!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 555 said:

So would you rather pay for my 8-10 drinks a day on your tab if I don’t take the package ?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 555 said:

First of all, you don't have to come close to 15 drinks to make it worthwhile.  Just over half of the cost of the 60 goes towards gratuities and wifi.  Then you have the peripheral stuff such as ocean now activation, medallion shipping and the two casual meals.  Basically you just need to spend just over 20 bucks in drinks to make it worthwhile.  And that doesn't have to be alcohol.  Bottled water, specialty coffee, canned soda, and fresh squeezed OJ can all easily make the number, so even if you don't drink alcohol, it can be worthwhile.

But, many teetotalers just automatically assume that it's not for them.  If you only drink tap water, regular coffee, lemonade and iced tea, then don't get the package.  But there are many cruisers in the 25% that don't get the package don't realize that in fact you can make it worthwhile without consuming a drop of alcohol.

Edited by Retired-N-Happy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Basically you just need to spend just over 20 bucks in drinks to make it worthwhile.  And that doesn't have to be alcohol. 

Although you have to do this pretty much every day of the cruise (or make up for it on a sea day!).

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Although you have to do this pretty much every day of the cruise (or make up for it on a sea day!).

Not hard to do at their retail prices.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

But, many teetotalers just automatically assume that it's not for them.  If you only drink tap water, regular coffee, lemonade and iced tea, then don't get the package.  But there are many cruisers in the 25% that don't get the package don't realize that in fact you can make it worthwhile without consuming a drop of alcohol.

I suppose a few people could look at it that way. 

When I pay for something I weight the price of what I'm receiving for the money & without any alcohol it's just doesn't make any sense at all.

Princess must really love those types of cruisers. 😍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

$20 is 2 drinks or less. I am always at that level at least by lunch. On a sea day at least 4 by lunch. Port day at least 4 by dinner time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

As with most things, YMMV, but the non-monetary benefits of the freeing mindset you get are a very valid justification if that's something you enjoy.  It's just a nuance that just doesn't go very far in a discussion with people who are trying to crap on the idea of packages because they like to have a bare bones vacation and think everyone else should too. I have not read this thread, it's way too long, but given the 9 pages of discussion I'll bet a few of these people have chimed in LOL

I understand the convenience issue and I think there are several good points made in favor of the packages.  I think you are wrong to jump to the conclusion those without a package have mental anguish over purchases. We don't do the packages.  We buy what we want when we want without a need for ledger entries.  We don't consider ourselves bare bones but I suspect our on-board spending might be less than many. It is not something I would ever ask someone about.  I certainly have no issues with anyone having the package and don't need them to justify it to me.   

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 7:07 AM, XBGuy said:

@Drew B 58, your new approach is completely reasonable.  Go for it.

I am also an analytical guy.  Some time ago I posted a comparison spreadsheet that pretty convincingly demonstrated that neither of the package plans "pencil out" for me.  However, what works for me has nothing to do with what works for somebody else.

I agree that a cruise should be a "splurge."  Don't deny yourself.

There are different types of cruisers.  Some see it as a once in a lifetime experience and will splurge big time.  Others see it as several cruises a year and decide they would rather do a couple of cruises a year and the no splurge keeps multiple cruises within  their budgets. Are these people denying themselves or are they in their way splurging?

Some don't care as they are wealthy and the splurge is peanuts to them.  

I happen to be among the group that prefers to go on multiple cruises and budget accordingly.  Nothing wrong with either decision

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Once again, the sea day theory doesn't hold water.  You're back on board on a sea day by 5:00.  If you go to bed at 11:00, that gives you 6 hours to hit your number.  Easily doable even without consuming alcohol.  You could have taken two bottles of water ashore or had a specialty coffee or a fresh squeezed OJ before you left the ship that goes towards your total.

• Like 1

I'm actually a little concerned i wouldn't enjoy it if i have so many drinks. For me, an alcoholic drink or mocktail is a treat and i probably only have it a couple times per year. So to go to 2-3 a day is quite a lot.

3 hours ago, 555 said:

I suppose a few people could look at it that way. 

When I pay for something I weight the price of what I'm receiving for the money & without any alcohol it's just doesn't make any sense at all.

Princess must really love those types of cruisers. 😍

So I will infer that you don't drink any bottled water, canned soda, mocktails, specialty coffee or fresh squeezed juice. Because if you did then maybe it would make sense that you could easily reach the number without consuming any alcohol.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I'm actually a little concerned i wouldn't enjoy it if i have so many drinks. For me, an alcoholic drink or mocktail is a treat and i probably only have it a couple times per year. So to go to 2-3 a day is quite a lot.

You can make it zero a day if you drink fresh squeezed juice(1), specialty coffee(2), bottled water(2) & canned soda(1).  

Edited by Retired-N-Happy
  • Haha 1