On Radiance ... all ports cancelled due to issues with proposal system

I

3 hours ago, IrishWhisperer said:

Yeah two days refund, two days FCC, and free booze for two days. Not very generous - hopefully they fix it by Sunday. 

What does your cruise look like?  

3 hours ago, IrishWhisperer said:

Yeah two days refund, two days FCC, and free booze for two days. Not very generous - hopefully they fix it by Sunday. 

Free AI in Vancouver for most people isn’t too bad but I see you live there so not so much appeal to you personally, unfortunately. I presume you are able to leave the ship? 

Do they have divers working on it?  We took a 7-day trip to Nassau once to fix azipods instead of our intended itinerary. 

Sorry this is your first cruise, unfortunately you have to go with the flow or abandon ship! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Free AI in Vancouver for most people isn’t too bad but I see you live there so not so much appeal to you personally, unfortunately. I presume you are able to leave the ship? 

Nope. Specifically told no one, crew or passenger, is allowed off until Icy Strait Point on Tuesday.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, semala said:

Nope. Specifically told no one, crew or passenger, is allowed off until Icy Strait Point on Tuesday.

This is part of RC press release at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/notices/travel-updates

Radiance of the Seas® sailing on Friday, April 26, 2024 from Vancouver

Unfortunately, repairs for technical issues on Radiance of the Seas® are still underway. As a result, we’re going to need some extra time to get the ship ready for you. We’ll still board on April 26, 2024 as planned. However, this means that our sailing will now depart on Sunday, April 28, 2024. Please note that due to U.S. Customs and Border Protection restrictions, all guests must board on April 26, despite our departure on Sunday.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So no one is allowed off the ship until the next port stop. Isn't that kind of...normal?

No, if you're overnighting in a port, you normally are allowed to come and go as you wish.  Not sure why CBP says no one can get off while at the dock, though that's not really what the message from RCI says, just that everyone has to have checked in and boarded on Friday, most likely for manifest submission time frame.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

No, if you're overnighting in a port, you normally are allowed to come and go as you wish.

But they really aren't overnighting in a port of call.

Everyone boarding that ship yesterday didn't expect to get off the ship until the first port of call. So not being able to get off while stuck in Vancouver shouldn't be a big deal.

• Like 1

Just now, smokeybandit said:

But they really aren't overnighting in a port of call.

Everyone boarding that ship yesterday didn't expect to get off the ship until the first port of call. So not being able to get off while stuck in Vancouver shouldn't be a big deal.

Some cruises have overnights at the embarkation port.  But, a bit different in anticipating a day at sea, opposed to a day tied to a dock, and was Icy Strait the first scheduled port of call, or was one cancelled to cover the two days at the dock?  Oops, finally twigged to what the problem is, US CBP clears all passengers into the US when they board in Vancouver, so if they were allowed to get off and on at will, that would invalidate the clearance.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just now, IrishWhisperer said:

Overnight they repositioned us, we are in a shipyard in North Vancouver now, close to the ironworkers memorial bridge.

All the more reason to ensure people stayed on board.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

All the more reason to ensure people stayed on board.

Yup. No longer at the passenger dock, without safe transport through the yard to any kind of amenity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I mean it's an Alaskan cruise in April. That weather is expected.

The allure of shoulder season pricing is strong, but there is a reason for it….

Vancouver and the cruise ship terminal in the distance. I don’t see any activity near the ship - not sure if they are working on things underwater or waiting for parts/people? Either way people on board not sure if we will indeed end up departing tmrw. We will see.

Having a good time regardless, the staff are absolutely fantastic. 

IMG_0472.jpeg

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, IrishWhisperer said:

We have just been told the cruise is cancelled. We disembark tomorrow.

I'm sorry.  And for the people who flew in I hope RCI is helping figure all that out.

• Like 1

i wonder why dont let people stay onboard as a floating hotel like. getting last minute flights back home and hotels will be expensive. is royal helping with that? if you have travel insurance, this is something they will cover?

• Like 3

There's a discussion happening over on Reddit right now. Apparently folks are getting 100% refund and FCC, in which case that's not the worst possible outcome. I wonder if they're trying to get folks off to get Radiance to a temp. drydock as quick as possible a la Carnival Panorama a few months ago?

What a disaster though. RCL really could have been more proactive here, IMHO.

• Like 2