Backpack left on in Stateroom 2400 Venezia

I unfortunately left my black backpack on the Carnival Venezia cabin #2400 last November 2023. I was unable to return to my cabin to retrieve it and was told to file a complaint on line. I filed 3 complaints and received the same response. “After a full investigation we are sorry to inform your backpack was not turned in to our Lost and Found Department or to the ship Security or Guest Services Office.”  My case was closed with no luck in sight!
Once the ship has cleared, No one has access to the cabin accept the Cabin Steward. I would like for Carnival to have a conversation with the Cabin Seward in locating my backpack. These cabin stewards should be held to a higher standard. We do not cruise free and are expected to pay gratuities per person in the stateroom. How can this be allowed to happen? I don’t understand. 

9 minutes ago, Lilfeat said:

I unfortunately left my black backpack on the Carnival Venezia cabin #2400 last November 2023. I was unable to return to my cabin to retrieve it and was told to file a complaint on line. I filed 3 complaints and received the same response. “After a full investigation we are sorry to inform your backpack was not turned in to our Lost and Found Department or to the ship Security or Guest Services Office.”  My case was closed with no luck in sight!
Once the ship has cleared, No one has access to the cabin accept the Cabin Steward. I would like for Carnival to have a conversation with the Cabin Seward in locating my backpack. These cabin stewards should be held to a higher standard. We do not cruise free and are expected to pay gratuities per person in the stateroom. How can this be allowed to happen? I don’t understand. 

Once you have vacated your room at 8:30 am, the rooms are opened.  Anyone can walk in including people still onboard, people on B2Bs and oncoming guests. Doors aren't closed again until ready for new guests.   

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

There is no proof the stewards stole the backpack. It could have been anyone.

The stewards have very limited storage onboard, they don't steal things because it will be found and there is nothing they can steal from you that is worth their livelihood. 

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I carry my camera in my backpack, and I rarely change memory cards in mid-trip.  When I've "lost"/had snatched cameras, I lost all of the photos from that trip.  So I understand that losing a backpack can be painful.  

But there is no way to blame the cabin steward, and there is nothing any of the Forum members can do to help the OP other than sympathize.  

And Venezia does have Cabin 2400, per one of the deck plan sites.

• Like 5

The only one I'd be blaming is myself if I left something like my pocketbook behind.

Sorry, but I don't see how you can put blame on the cabin steward.

Carnival responded and with the amount of time that has passed, there's nothing that can be done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You know it was the cabin steward...how?? Maybe you took the backpack and accidentally set it down somewhere unknowingly. 

Passengers should be held to a higher standard of being responsible for their own stuff.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lilfeat said:

I unfortunately left my black backpack on the Carnival Venezia cabin #2400 last November 2023.

Clearly your own fault, stop trying to blame the cabin attendant for your carelessness

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On a recent cruise, we were travelling (from home to ship-driving & flying times, over 9 hours) with meds that needs to get into the room fridge (while waiting for the actual portable medi fridge to be delivered).

We found our room Steward & got his ok to pop into our unfinished room for the fridge.

We noticed there were 2 clothing items still in the otherwise empty room.

When the announcement was made, that the “rooms are open”..those items were still there.  We notified our Steward & he removed them.

Short story is…don’t blame the Steward for taking your backpack…it could have been any one walking the hall on changeover day or the next passenger in that room.

• Like 3

On 4/25/2024 at 2:07 PM, Lilfeat said:

You have no idea what happened to it - all you know is you were negligent in leaving it there. Move on. 

• Like 3

On 4/25/2024 at 2:19 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Once you have vacated your room at 8:30 am, the rooms are opened.  Anyone can walk in including people still onboard, people on B2Bs and oncoming guests. Doors aren't closed again until ready for new guests.   

B2Bs and every guest is required to clear the ship, the only persons there are those responsible for cleaning the staterooms. The are diligently cleaning cabins for the next guests.
Are there any security cameras in the hallways of the cruise ship? 

6 minutes ago, Lilfeat said:

B2Bs and every guest is required to clear the ship, the only persons there are those responsible for cleaning the staterooms. The are diligently cleaning cabins for the next guests.

You have no one to blame but yourself, move on.  Life lesson learned.

• Like 3

First of all I’d like to say that I’m an avid cruiser with a Diamond status, therefore cruising is not new to me. Stop trying to protect the cabin steward, who we bless with over one hundred dollars per person sharing the cabin, he/she has a duty to keep us safe and our personal property secure. I’m not alone in leaving item(s) in the night stand, closet or even under the bed, the question here is what’s happening to our property when it’s left behind? If Carnival is no longer going to place items in a Lost and Found status then tell us that by putting it in writing. If you stayed or anyone you know stayed in this cabin and came across a black backpack please let me know. Thanks 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Lilfeat said:

The doors are open to each room from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm.  Guests are still onboard to close to 10-10:30 am and are free to wander until last call.  B2Bs might be off for 10-15 minutes then back on to wander.  New guests start loading around 11 am and traipsing the hallways dropping luggage (whether supposed to or not).   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The doors are open to each room from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm.  Guests are still onboard to close to 10-10:30 am and are free to wander until last call.  B2Bs might be off for 10-15 minutes then back on to wander.  New guests start loading around 11 am and traipsing the hallways dropping luggage (whether supposed to or not).   

Guests are not allowed in the stateroom corridors from 8:30 AM until 1:30 PM, except in very few circumstances such as a B2B guest moving cabins or priority guests dropping off carry-ons.

Still there are any number of people who walked past that room and saw the backpack.

There is no way to say equivocally who took it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Steward could have turned it in and was lost/left in all the leftover mounds of unforgotten stuff.

Unless you have video, don't accuse any one person.

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pyrate13 said:

Accusing someone without any kind of proof, unbelievable.

Personal responsibility.

Exactly.

The OP is willing to destroy this steward's career with exactly zero evidence. SMH

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

Guests are not allowed in the stateroom corridors from 8:30 AM until 1:30 PM, except in very few circumstances such as a B2B guest moving cabins or priority guests dropping off carry-ons.

Still there are any number of people who walked past that room and saw the backpack.

There is no way to say equivocally who took it. 

And, yet there is a steady stream of people walking through the halls.  B2B people (especially vloggers) use the time and open doors to video fancy staterooms.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Lilfeat said:

B2Bs and every guest is required to clear the ship, the only persons there are those responsible for cleaning the staterooms

What time did you leave your cabin?  What time was the "all ashore" call for last disembarkation?  At any time between the two times, anyone could have walked in and taken the backpack.

First of all I’d like to say that I’m an avid cruiser with a Diamond status, therefore cruising is not new to me.

A diamond status cruiser and you have to ask this question?

Stop trying to protect the cabin steward, who we bless with over one hundred dollars per person sharing the cabin, he/she has a duty to keep us safe and our personal property secure.

Stop trying to say that your gratuity is somehow tied to the steward providing for your security.  I've worked cruise ships, and I don't recall seeing anywhere in a cabin steward's employment contract where they are in any way responsible for either your safety (though some may have that duty assigned for emergencies) or your personal property.  That is the cruise line's responsibility, not the cabin stewards.

You left the backpack behind, and it never made it to lost and found, and its been several months, so get over it.

And, in fact, your blaming the cabin steward is completely bogus as well.  As a diamond cruiser you should know that cabin doors are left open during turn around, so even assuming there was a theft, virtually any member of the crew, from the Captain to the hotel utility, and including the engineers who may have had to repair something in the cabin, or the deck hands who had to clean the balcony, had access to your cabin.  So, if you want to blame someone, blame the Captain.  You say you want Carnival to have a discussion with the cabin steward.  What do you think was done in the "full investigation" that Carnival says was done?  Or, do you wish to have the cabin steward brought to you so you and your attorney can depose him/her?

What was in the backpack that you need to make this much fuss over?  The crown jewels?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

What time did you leave your cabin?  What time was the "all ashore" call for last disembarkation?  At any time between the two times, anyone could have walked in and taken the backpack.

A diamond status cruiser and you have to ask this question?

Stop trying to say that your gratuity is somehow tied to the steward providing for your security.  I've worked cruise ships, and I don't recall seeing anywhere in a cabin steward's employment contract where they are in any way responsible for either your safety (though some may have that duty assigned for emergencies) or your personal property.  That is the cruise line's responsibility, not the cabin stewards.

You left the backpack behind, and it never made it to lost and found, and its been several months, so get over it.

And, in fact, your blaming the cabin steward is completely bogus as well.  As a diamond cruiser you should know that cabin doors are left open during turn around, so even assuming there was a theft, virtually any member of the crew, from the Captain to the hotel utility, and including the engineers who may have had to repair something in the cabin, or the deck hands who had to clean the balcony, had access to your cabin.  So, if you want to blame someone, blame the Captain.  You say you want Carnival to have a discussion with the cabin steward.  What do you think was done in the "full investigation" that Carnival says was done?  Or, do you wish to have the cabin steward brought to you so you and your attorney can depose him/her?

What was in the backpack that you need to make this much fuss over?  The crown jewels?

Wow Cheng! Well said!! 😁

• Like 3

On 4/25/2024 at 11:07 AM, Lilfeat said:

I was on a Princess cruise and was in my cabin on embarkation day, I pulled the curtains all the way back from the balcony and noticed on the floor by the desk there was a passport.

I had just met my steward so I went out into the hall and gave it to him, he said the occupants of the cabin that morning were looking everywhere for it. He said he would bring it to guest services.

Can you imagine the previous occupants blaming the steward for stealing the passport or what if I decided to not turn it in.

It makes zero sense the steward would "steal" your backpack and much more likely someone walking by the cabin took it. Unless, as another poster said, you forgot and left it somewhere else.

• Like 5

And you're 100% positive thats where it was left?  Or is that just a guess so you can try and push the blame elsewhere? I mean, you already proved that you aren't responsible to take care of your own items, how can we trust you now?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Lilfeat said:

Thats not always true. Sometimes CBP agents come on board the ship where B2B cruisers are staged and clear them there from the lounge.

21 hours ago, Lilfeat said:

First of all I’d like to say that I’m an avid cruiser with a Diamond status, therefore cruising is not new to me. Stop trying to protect the cabin steward, who we bless with over one hundred dollars per person sharing the cabin, he/she has a duty to keep us safe and our personal property secure. I’m not alone in leaving item(s) in the night stand, closet or even under the bed, the question here is what’s happening to our property when it’s left behind? If Carnival is no longer going to place items in a Lost and Found status then tell us that by putting it in writing. If you stayed or anyone you know stayed in this cabin and came across a black backpack please let me know. Thanks 

How do you know the backpack wasn't turned into Lost and Found and given to shoreside personnel? You just blame anyone and everyone except yourself after you negligently left it in the stateroom or unwittingly set it down somewhere and forgot you even had it with you.

And if you are Diamond as you claim to be, you would already know the answers to the questions you are asking.

In completely unrelated news, I am really enjoying the backpack that I found just laying in the stairwell on the Venezia last November. 

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 5