The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 26th, 2024

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Tina, Ann, and Paul;.   Happy Birthday Debbie and I hope your trip is going well.  Condolences to Maureen  but great news on DH.  Vanessa, I’m pleased with your progress.

I like all 3 of today’s days.  I really relate more to Three Mile Island than to Chernobyl as I am probably 75 miles from there and had a piece of property very close to it at the time.

The Mel Brooks quote is funny.  I think of early containerization in conjunction with the White Pass and Yukon Railroad and they were only a few months behind the Ideal X.  Fortunately, White Pass’ Clifford J. Rodgers predated the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

I have not been to Hobart.

I’ll pass on the meal. My alternative is Pinnacle Burger and Fresh Berries as served for lunch April 26, 2019 in Nieuw Statendam’s Pinnacle Grill,.

lunch.jpg

My visit to the car ship went pretty well.  I was in at 8 and out at 9 for routine service which was no charge since I bought the car there.  I am due for new tires which should not be a big surprise as the car is 5 ½ years old on the original tires, It is very close to Wegmans so I stopped there and was home about 10,

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a gloomy and wet central Texas.  It started raining about two hours ago, but it started pouring about ten minutes ago.  Our county is under a tornado warning, and there was a tornado near West not long ago.  Right now, besides thunder and lightning, we are getting marble size hail.  The cars, motorhome and golf cart are all under cover, but it is loud on our metal roof.  Looking at the radar the worst of the storm will be through here later this afternoon.  And most of the really bad weather is east of I-35 and heading toward the DFW metroplex with most of it going toward the east.  Just since I started typing our rain amount has gone from 0.11 to 0.36 inches.  The weather app says we have an 11mph wind, but our neighbor's flag is hanging limp.  There is standing water in a large portion of our yard, and we have a "river" running through our port.  Maybe, it'll clean the dirt off the concrete.

I hope @Haljo1935 Elizabeth and any other Dailyites in the path of this storm are safe, and stay safe.

6 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning from a sunny and chilly (38F) Boston.  Thanks for the daily report, I’ll gladly celebrate Audubon Day and will hug an Australian if I run across one.  I had a chuckle at the quote.  Think I’ll pass on the meal suggestion and a maybe on the drink.  We’re heading to a fundraiser in York, ME for the weekend while the broker hosts open houses here this weekend.  Prayers for those who need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Happy birthday to @dfish and safe travels to visit with your friends in Ohio! 

Safe travels to York, ME, this weekend.  I hope someone at the open house falls in love with your condo and makes a very good offer.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute the Audubon Society. No Australian here to hug. We shouldn't forget Chernobyl and what it entailed. Funny Mel Brooks quote. Pass on the meal (fish), drink (well maybe yes to #2) and wine. I have been to Burnie, but not Hobart, Tasmania. Container ships are something we now rely heavily on.

It's already 61F and sunny. It will be a nice day, and rain tomorrow, before the big warmup. I stayed downstairs in the recliner last night, and got in 7 hours of sleep (yay). Still a bit stiff and sore, but I think it's starting to ease up. The furniture restorers were just here, dropping off my reglued and reupholstered dining room chairs, and taking an antique table to work on. BFF is going to his house for the afternoon, to mow the grass and do some other things. He'll be back this evening. I think I'll get my first shower, using the walk-in shower here on the first floor. I have instructions to stay off the stairs! I think I'll catch up on Call The Midwife, something BFF wouldn't want to watch with me.

@dfish Happy Birthday! And safe travels.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today, and the Hobart photos. 

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations of the days. Nice beach scenery.

@MISTER 67 I hope your TB Lightning can rally back.

@seagarsmoker Great photo.

@smitty34877 Safe travels to your family traveling back to NH. I'm sure it was so nice having them there for a while.

@Mr. Boston I hope the open houses yield a buyer! Safe travels to ME.

@ottahand7 Hugs on the sad memory day.

@marshhawk My head spins regarding your work, but I'm glad you got some hours. Enjoy your Thai lunch!

@RMLincoln Thinking of you and your family after the loss of your DSIL. Prayers.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad you got seven hours sleep last night.  I bet that shower will really feel good.  I hope you have a waterproof patch to cover the bandage on your incision. 

This is for your BFF for taking such good care of you.

ThankYouMeme-5.jpg.2d5f9414e778de3ca68e1c66dda37fe0.jpg

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

It's a rather dreary day here but rain isn't in the forecast. Never fear it's back with a vengeance tomorrow. 

Happy Birthday @dfish! Safe travels and enjoy your day. 

Today is some errands in town and I'm going to try a new water aerobics class. I'm taking a hiatus from PT so this will add a 3rd day of pool time which my body will enjoy. I also have to stop and top off the gas tank and get a few groceries. Nothing too exciting. I got the chocolate snickerdoodles made yesterday and that was the highlight of my day. 

Happy Friday!

Karen

Karen, I like snickerdoodles, but I've never heard of chocolate snickerdoodles.  Could you share the recipe with us?

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Friday from sunny Tucson. However it is supposed to be windy. 

I like salmon power bowls and have a recipe I follow but really you can add whatever you like and have on hand and any grain you like. I use faro and add things like avocado, hard boiled eggs, radishes. I like the bowl concept because it is like a salad with lots of goodies. I’ve gotten tired of just salmon so a bowl sounds really good. 

I would try drink version 2 because I would never buy watermelon liquor that is in version 1. 

Vanessa @JazzyV, thank you for adding my DM to the care list, she really needs all the prayers and thoughts right now. She is better but still weak. We took her to the doctor yesterday for a follow up and her oxygen and BP was much better. She seemed more talkative too but still needed to use a wheelchair. I think she is finally on the mend. Thank you all for thinking of her. 

Happy Birthday Debbie @dfish!!  🎈🎈🎈 Safe travels today. Enjoy your special day!

I need to get a new phone. I’ve been putting it off but in just the past two weeks I have been unable to download new apps. One for our new vehicle and then today I couldn’t download Joy’s @Seasick Sailorbird app. Frustrating. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I'm glad your DM is doing better, and I hope she recovers fully soon.  I like the sounds of your salmon power bowls.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

As Karen @luvteaching said, it's a dreary day here.  I may do a nursery run to my favorite nursery and look for some annuals to plant.

Three worthy days to celebrate.  I'll pass on the red wine, would like to try the second drink recipe, and the 2nd meal recipe.  We were in Hobart on February 27 on the Grand Australia.  We had a great tour to the Botanical Gardens and to the top of Mt. Wellington.  After the tour DH and I took advantage of the cooler weather (compared to what we'd been having) and walked into town to pick up some things at a drugstore.  We really enjoyed that day!

Happy Birthday and safe drive Debbie @dfish!

Roy @rafinmd I'm delighted that your PSA numbers are trending down -- great news!

Vanessa @JazzyV Wonderful that you slept 7 hours last night!!  That must be a record, and I'm so happy for you.

Here are some photos of our day in Hobart.

I tried to find photos different from the great photos already posted by Sandi @StLouisCruisers

Botanical Gardens

HobartBotanicalGardens.jpg.6c188a4f218f78eda048c92f7f7fd29c.jpg

I was fascinated by this plant "Banksia".  It was all over Australia, different colors depending on where it grows.  Here the flowers were yellow.  Other areas had orange or red.

Banksia.jpg.214b34650a715203315afd252fd19369.jpg

Our guide in the gardens.  I loved all the huge palms.

Guide.jpg.70a8841be4d3e4d951059a7764dd57c0.jpg

View from Mt. Wellington

ViewfromMt.Wellington.jpg.05231b549b52b723636e4947bd5f5cb6.jpg

Anotherview.jpg.5c2e604c06ca3f1b53867e9bdf37e9a0.jpg

Our guide referred to this as a "Loo with a view" 😅

Loowithaview.jpg.8cec1fb307e029b627e58efb3c5dbdc3.jpg

The lovely Volendam

VolendaminHobart.thumb.jpg.81385a20eed640fd89d5ca51a4a3d2ca.jpg

Volendam docked in Hobart

VolendamdockedHobart.jpg.da2cde00177cd3fa717de3ed294c564d.jpg

Our walk into town after the tour

Hobart.thumb.jpg.402479a3418ce68f8a280796c3c7da18.jpg

Hobart wharves

HobartWharves.thumb.jpg.e606ea6b6d995d462dfac6eedd89d776.jpg

Government House

GovernmentHouseHobart.jpg.ffb7839fa3e04307998988382bed18ea.jpg

BridgeHobart.jpg.b417451f6adbd357378b508eec3c584e.jpg

Carolyn, thank you for the pictures from Hobart.

46 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Bruce @aliaschief I enjoyed seeing the photos of the Azamara Onward today.  I kept thinking this ship looks like a ship I've been on.  And now I realize it was the Pacific Princess which we cruised on only once in 2018 from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale.  I'm sure a lot of work went into refurbishing the ship by Azamara because there were some problems with our balcony door during the sea crossing.  It was leaking and got the carpet wet.  You could see where it had caused damage to the interior for some time.  But it was a beautiful ship then and is even more beautiful now.  

Nancy @ottahand7 sending hugs to you on this important date in your memory.

Vanessa @JazzyV I'm very happy to hear you report you slept 7 hours last night!  Enjoy that nice shower and watching Call the Midwife.  

Sharon @Sharon in AZ I hope your DM is feeling stronger and more like her old self again very soon.  

Annie @marshhawk and Chuck, I hope you are having a nice day.  I hope the work situation is settled to your satisfaction.

Graham @grapau27 you must be enjoying the back garden today.  It's such a pleasant and calming view.  

Carolyn @Cruising-along I've very much enjoyed your photos today of Hobart.  It really is a nice town, isn't it?  

Elizabeth @Haljo1935 please stay safe and alert today!  I believe there is an FC Dallas U17 vs. St. Louis City SC U17 soccer game at 9 am tomorrow and I see Frisco is expecting high winds and rain in the morning with thunderstorms in the afternoon.  Not an ideal day for a game.   The St. Louis team needs this game to qualify for an upcoming tournament.  Dallas does not need it since they've already qualified so they somehow need to get this game in the books for St. Louis City's sake.

Sandi, I hope they can get the match in tomorrow morning.  That is supposed to be our windy day.

The rain has slowed down for now, but I think we'll get more later.  The rain gauge on the weather station now reads 0.61.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

@ger_77  we feed grape jelly in a traditional Oriole feeder.  The finches that eat the jelly are the red house finches.  When we have many visitors to the jelly I will take a small plastic dish and use duck tape to secure it to the balcony railing top.  Then we have had Red-Bellied Woodpeckers eating it too.  

I agree with the consensus,

drink #2 is the winner.

Stay safe @Haljo1935 and @Quartzsite Cruiser.  We have storms heading our way but nothing major.  @Cruising-along thanks for the lovely photos of Hobart.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

I hope all in the path of storms stay safe.

@Quartzsite Cruiser My instructions were the bandage was to come off after 24 hours. It had one small speck of blood on it, that's it. The wound is glued. I have to be careful not to let waistbands come across it, otherwise And I'm trying not to bend much. I just had BFF clean it with a baby shampoo solution daily and dry it. They just said not to soak it, like with a bath. I'm lucky to have BFF looking after me!

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21

@StLouisCruisers @Quartzsite Cruiser @ottahand7 thanks for thinking of us. We currently don't have winds; the rain is hitting in waves with "thunder boomers." The dogs don't like it, but not amounting to much right now. But we know tornadoes have their own unique plans, so we stay on alert.

Based on @Quartzsite Cruiser post, the storm is west of us, moving this way.

Hope Ren's team is able to play tomorrow and secure a victory. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny afternoon. I got the mammogram results back this afternoon and all is good. Repeat in 1 year. Hallelujah.

Have a great weekend everyone.

That's great news!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny afternoon. I got the mammogram results back this afternoon and all is good. Repeat in 1 year. Hallelujah.

Have a great weekend everyone.

That is really good news.  Here it takes about a week before we're mailed the results.  The tech who does the mammograms usually calls within 24 hours if they need to do more checking, so we really know sooner.

55 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@StLouisCruisers @Quartzsite Cruiser @ottahand7 thanks for thinking of us. We currently don't have winds; the rain is hitting in waves with "thunder boomers." The dogs don't like it, but not amounting to much right now. But we know tornadoes have their own unique plans, so we stay on alert.

Based on @Quartzsite Cruiser post, the storm is west of us, moving this way.

Hope Ren's team is able to play tomorrow and secure a victory. 

Elizabeth, I looks like the worst of the rain is past us.  It also came in bands, some with extremely heavy rain.  The weather station rain gauge says 1.81 inches of rain.  I think the worst is heading north east and going south of most of the metroplex.  Stay safe.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Many of us have fond memories of Prinsendam, now Amera.  She made an unexpected visit to Fort Lauderdale today and left with some late but very nice toots.  See also a thread by @POA1,

pdam1.thumb.JPG.2835f79d207bcd9b54a8a761c6c3e4a3.JPG

pdam2.thumb.JPG.55762249a1ef586ad09fbaa6624096dd.JPG

pdam3.thumb.JPG.8b569197b6524aeb371878060d917806.JPG

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all for the birthday wishes and safe travel wishes.  I made it to Columbus mid afternoon.  Alice and I had a nice dinner at the Columbus Fish Market.  

You guys sure know how to make someone feel special!

• Like 17

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Many of us have fond memories of Prinsendam, now Amera.  She made an unexpected visit to Fort Lauderdale today and left with some late but very nice toots.  See also a thread by @POA1,

pdam1.thumb.JPG.2835f79d207bcd9b54a8a761c6c3e4a3.JPG

pdam2.thumb.JPG.55762249a1ef586ad09fbaa6624096dd.JPG

pdam3.thumb.JPG.8b569197b6524aeb371878060d917806.JPG

Roy

🌺Aloha Roy!

I was able to watch! It does bring back memories! So loved the Prinsendam!

Was glad to see Brian’s earlier write up!

Great pics!

🌺Mahalo

Denise🙂

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all for the birthday wishes and safe travel wishes.  I made it to Columbus mid afternoon.  Alice and I had a nice dinner at the Columbus Fish Market.  

You guys sure know how to make someone feel special!

🌺Debbie you are special!! We care for you and everyone on this wonderful CC board!! Have a Happy Birthday 🎊🎂!

🌺Denise🙂

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sharon, I'm glad your DM is doing better, and I hope she recovers fully soon.  I like the sounds of your salmon power bowls.

Thank you Lenda. I spoke with her about a half hour ago and she sounds so much better and said her salmon dinner tasted good. She had hardly been eating so that was good news. I should have posted the recipe I use for the salmon power bowl. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/salmon-and-veggie-grain-bowl-3409067

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you Lenda. I spoke with her about a half hour ago and she sounds so much better and said her salmon dinner tasted good. She had hardly been eating so that was good news. I should have posted the recipe I use for the salmon power bowl. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/salmon-and-veggie-grain-bowl-3409067

That's good news about you DM.  Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Lenda

• Like 6

Good evening, 

I had to switch browsers to get on CC this evening. Weird. All I get is a white screen on Safari.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Here's the chocolate snickerdoodle recipe. I get about 2 dozen cookies off of this one but they aren't that big. 

Oven at 350 for 9 minutes

3/4 c sugar

1/4 cup margarine (or butter)

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 egg

1 1/8 cup flour

1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup cocoa. 

I put it all in the Kitchenaid mixer and let the mixer do it's magic. Then I refrigerate the dough for at least 4 hours and even to the next day. 

I use a scoop to get the cookies on the cookie sheet. I make them into balls and dip then into a cinnamon sugar mixture and then bake. They come out a bit puffy with a cracked top. 

Karen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Just heard from Tina, is any one having problems with CC being a white screen? Nothing else?

I've not had any problems, but I'm on my Android tablet using Chrome.  We also use Chrome on the computer, and I'll be on it in a little while.

8 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good evening, 

I had to switch browsers to get on CC this evening. Weird. All I get is a white screen on Safari.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Here's the chocolate snickerdoodle recipe. I get about 2 dozen cookies off of this one but they aren't that big. 

Oven at 350 for 9 minutes

3/4 c sugar

1/4 cup margarine (or butter)

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 egg

1 1/8 cup flour

1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup cocoa. 

I put it all in the Kitchenaid mixer and let the mixer do it's magic. Then I refrigerate the dough for at least 4 hours and even to the next day. 

I use a scoop to get the cookies on the cookie sheet. I make them into balls and dip then into a cinnamon sugar mixture and then bake. They come out a bit puffy with a cracked top. 

Karen

Karen, thanks for the recipe.  I'll try it soon.

Lenda

• Like 2

• LauraS locked this topic