The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 28th, 2024

The rain has stopped and the road and driveway are dry, but it is still cloudy and windy.  It has warmed up to 69F, and is not too uncomfortable outside.

The Chocolate Snickerdoodles are cooling now.  We did a taste test of each pan and they are good.  The cinnamon gives them a less sweet taste.  Plus they are easy to make.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! Happy fifth to the daily! Thanks @rafinmdfor your timeline, and to @ger_77 for the reminder about that zoom call! It was fun! 

I will gladly celebrate those dear Brave hearts and super heroes!  Everyday!

@smitty34877 yikes!  now you have to look after you or you’re no good to anyone!  I just hope it heals well and quickly and you get a little r and r! 

@Cruzin Terri sorry to hear of your loss,  sending prayers for support as you navigate these new waters. 

@Seasick Sailor that will be a fabulous cruise to celebrate on! 

Kobe, Osaka and Kyoto are often visited from the same place, usually Osaka. Highly recommend the Kobe beef and a visit to Kyoto, preferably for a few nights!  We stayed in the area where the cattle are raised, and although extremely expensive it’s worth a try.  
They have unusual but delicious breakfasts, salads often served then; as well as the most unusual toilets.

image.thumb.jpeg.865b7c9fd72ac906b25d519855ffbbf1.jpeg 

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1229.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Brenda, thanks for the pictures of Kobe.  When DH retired a few of us met in Las Vegas for a retirement weekend.  The official retirement dinner was at Le Cirque, and one person ordered the Kobe beef.  It was a very small piece of meat, and he gave us a taste.  It was very good, but I wouldn't have paid the $100 supplement.  We saw one of those fancy toilets when older DD spent two nights in Tokyo at the end of the first segment of the 2002 APEC cruise on Volendam.  We went with her to her hotel before exploring the city.  DH played with some of the buttons, including the one that heated the seat.  He never could get it to turn off, and DD never told us if it was still on when she returned that night.

55 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

The creamy pasta might be too high in lactose, but if that can be controlled, I'd consider it after Passover. No on the pseudotini. For a Riesling, there are too many good choices, but this time I'll choose Red Newt's 2018 Dry Riesling.

I cancelled the Utah trip, which would have begun next week, and now I'm puzzling over a conference in San Diego in July. That I'll go is almost a foregone conclusion, with airline credits that have to be used. The question is whether I'll go for the pre-conference or just the main conference. I also have to determine whether I have to fly the day before (probably) to get there by the starting time, and whether I have to stay an extra day (probably, because the conference continues past noon on the last day).

Screenshot2024-04-28at11-51-36GlasbergenCartoonsbyRandyGlasbergenforApril282024GoComics_com.png.ede3673de457da33abdf9bc0d4305586.png

Paul, I'm sorry your canceled your Utah trip.  I hope you will be able to reschedule it.  That area of Utah has some spectacular scenery.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Today we have very important days to recognize. Pass on the meal, maybe try the drink & wine, not been to the port; the pictures are terrific - thanks to everyone who posted.

It was rainy 63° when I checked 5+ hours ago, headed to wet 81°. Forecast says rain should let up for a couple days then start again Wed.

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240428_072108.thumb.jpg.6e2261ffada4da09870f8f93da4d1ed1.jpg

• Like 20

@smitty34877 I am sad to read your shoulder is acting up but grateful you were able to get your aide in.   I hope it isn't an RA flare.   My sister has RA and always has breakthrough flares with her RA and they changed her Enbrel to Actemra and she got worse so she is back on Enbrel.   I have been on Enbrel since 1999 and really haven't had a flare unless I forgot a few weekly doses.  Praying for some relief for you.   

@bennybear thank you for the photos of Kobe.  When you mentioned their strange toilets I was thinking those squat type John told me they had there.  One time while tasting wine road trip in Alsace I had to go so we pulled off to a rest area.  I walked right back out as they have those things in France too.   

@aliaschief beautiful sunset dinner.

@JazzyV great to read you have gotten 8 hours of sleep!   Yay!   

All the wine is pulled and boxed for our May 19 trip to the cabin.  All we have to do is load it in the cart and bring it up the hill to the garage.   All my sale plants are fertilized and the weather was perfect to let the little vegetable plants stay outside with humidity and sunny haze.  They can stay out all the time in a day or two.   

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  It's damp and drizzly here today.  We got up to 80 yesterday and then had tornado warnings at 10:30 last night.  The warning was canceled quickly, but we did have some strong winds and about 3/4 inch of rain.  Now, it's in the 50's.  I didn't get to read much here yesterday...had a busy couple of days.  

@grapau27Thanks for the link to Fr. David today.  Our service was about Jesus the vine and us as the branches today.  Also, thanks for the info about the days.  I'll celebrate the Brave Hearts and the Super Heros today! 

@smitty34877Prayers that your shoulder gets better quickly and that you get through the days and nights with help for Tana.

@RMLincolnthinking of you as you get ready to remember your SIL. 

@rafinmdthanks for sharing the Daily timeline! 

Thanks for the pictures today!  I get to travel through all of you!  

Blessings on your day.  Karen

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@smitty34877 I am sad to read your shoulder is acting up but grateful you were able to get your aide in.   I hope it isn't an RA flare.   My sister has RA and always has breakthrough flares with her RA and they changed her Enbrel to Actemra and she got worse so she is back on Enbrel.   I have been on Enbrel since 1999 and really haven't had a flare unless I forgot a few weekly doses.  Praying for some relief for you.   

@bennybear thank you for the photos of Kobe.  When you mentioned their strange toilets I was thinking those squat type John told me they had there.  One time while tasting wine road trip in Alsace I had to go so we pulled off to a rest area.  I walked right back out as they have those things in France too.   

@aliaschief beautiful sunset dinner.

@JazzyV great to read you have gotten 8 hours of sleep!   Yay!   

All the wine is pulled and boxed for our May 19 trip to the cabin.  All we have to do is load it in the cart and bring it up the hill to the garage.   All my sale plants are fertilized and the weather was perfect to let the little vegetable plants stay outside with humidity and sunny haze.  They can stay out all the time in a day or two.   

yes we encountered them the first night jet lagged, but there were also very modern ones,   Here’s  one from France,  😱😉

image.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

As I said earlier, I embarked Crystal Symphony in Kobe in 2013 after a long flight from Angkor Wat.  We stayed overnight and left the second touring so after sleeping late I did get out a bit later in the day.  Much of my tour was on the cityloop bus which was somewhat like a hop-on hop-off but missed a lot because the only narration was in Japanese.

cityloop.jpg

I think the dropoff point was near the Harbor tower:

kobetower.jpg

What interested me most was a memorial to the city's 1995 earthquake:

erthquakemonument.jpg

and a nearby plaque:

plaque.jpg

The plaque is a bit blurry but here's the inscription in English:

This Earthquake took some things.
Lives, Jobs, Communities, Cityscape, Our Memories.

These things appear safe, permanent.
Even moments before, we cannot know,.

This earthquake left many things behind.
Kindness, Compassion, Human Bonds, Friendship

This flame links the lives which were taken away,
With our thoughts, the survivors.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon and Happy Sunday. The weather is nice but a bit breezy. I went for an early pedicure and then errands and got home about an hour ago. I’m really not ready for my trip so need to step it up. I spoke with DM when I got home and she sounds so much better and is actually going to the dining room to pick up her meals. She is still weak but not as much as a few days ago. I think she got her fight back. 

I would like the second recipe but today we are having an antipasti platter. I decided something easy needed to happen. I went to a different grocery store than I usually do just to get Boar’s Head mortadella and prosciutto. I hate their parking lot and since our vehicle is only 2 weeks old have been parking out in the boondocks. 

I will pass on the drink and wine. And I have never been to Japan but those pictures are sure drawing my interest. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Many thanks to all who have made the Fleet Report and Daily what it is, and thanks, Roy @rafinmd, for the timeline!

it is raining cats and dogs here today. It’s been raining for several days, but mostly a gentle rain. There’s nothing gentle about this! The new top up of mulch and soil in the garden should be well settled when it finally stops.

We are 48 hours out from the final all aboard for our standby cruise, and no word yet. Yes, we’ve called, and they just don’t know. By now we’re into last minute cancellation territory. We shall see.

Happy Sunday all, and @grapau27, thank you for the sermon!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

If you'll indulge me a big I pooped out yesterday and never posted any pictures of Ilulissat or least the area.

Crystal Serenity's 2016 Nothwest Passage was a bit of a strange hybrid, operating as a traditional cruise from Anchorage to Nome, and from Nuuk to New York.  In the actual passage it was more of an expedition with the support of RSS Shackleton, a British ship which provides seasonal support to their Antarctic bases.  I think the original plan was to have a fairly traditional visit to Ilulissat but the harbor was so packed with ice that out tenders could not get through to the port, and local boars could not reach us.

Fortunately, the Shackelton was still with us and we salvaged the day with ice cruises using the Zodiacs they were carrying:

A few views from the ice cruise:

icecruise2.jpg

icecruise5.jpg

icecruise6.jpg

A nice feature of all the ice cruises is that midway through the ship we were met by a Zodiac bearing a warming drink of hot chocolate:

chocboat.jpg

Finally, before we headed back we got a nice view of the waiting Serenity with the Shackleton waiting to her right:

icecruise7.jpg

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

6 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon and Happy Sunday. The weather is nice but a bit breezy. I went for an early pedicure and then errands and got home about an hour ago. I’m really not ready for my trip so need to step it up. I spoke with DM when I got home and she sounds so much better and is actually going to the dining room to pick up her meals. She is still weak but not as much as a few days ago. I think she got her fight back. 

I would like the second recipe but today we are having an antipasti platter. I decided something easy needed to happen. I went to a different grocery store than I usually do just to get Boar’s Head mortadella and prosciutto. I hate their parking lot and since our vehicle is only 2 weeks old have been parking out in the boondocks. 

I will pass on the drink and wine. And I have never been to Japan but those pictures are sure drawing my interest. 

I'm happy to hear your mam is feeling a lot better Sharon.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

yes we encountered them the first night jet lagged, but there were also very modern ones,   Here’s  one from France,  😱😉

image.jpeg

Brenda, I got used to ‘squatty potties’ while touring Taiwan with DD years ago. However, I HATE those European ones with the porcelain foot pads. They are usually wet, always slippery and fill me with terror!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today is the 5th anniversary of @richwmn  starting the Fleet Report, Daily, and finally Fleet Report and Daily.  Here are some key dates:

December 31, 2018 @luv2trvll’s last Fleet Location as his source of data disappears

April 27, 2019: Rich puts out feeler on Fleet Locations but had no takers

April 28, 2019: Rich’s first Fleet Report

June 1, 2019 @kazu was first guest host of the Fleet report

Approx December 25, 2019 first “Today is” Starting with Christmas and holidays but something else added for regular days.

March 16, 2020: First appearance of “The Daily” There was not really a change in the substance for a while but March 16 did add a discussion of various possibilities

Other milestones in the Daily:

April 5, 2020: First Meal Suggestion and quote

June 23, 2020: First wine suggestion

June 29, 2020 Maps become a regular feature of the daily

July 9, 2020: My first sunrise

July 10, 2020: First care list

July 27, 2020: First wine review by @cat shepard

August 5, 2020: First alternative meal

August 8: 2020 First shoutout list

September 1, 2020 First Drink AND Drink Review

December 26, 2020: Dailyite Meet and Greet on Zoom

January 27, 2021: Debbie’s first meal review

February 1, 2021, First Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

March 1, 2021 First Destination of the Day

July 24, 2021, First BHB with Passengers Lafnvegas onboard

July 31, 2021, First regularly dailyite on board Crazy for Cats Nieuw Amsterdam

January 18, 2022: Father David’s first sermon on the Daily

June 19, 2022: First Fleet Report and Daily

January 28, 2023 @JazzyV takes over the Care and Celebration lists

January 25, 2024 First Alternative Maps with cruiser names

Roy

Thank you for the excellent recap of the Fleet Report and Daily history.  And for the photos from Ilulissat.  What month was this visit there?

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It will go up to 77 later. I have  not been to the port but like the quote and the days. I look forward to the recipes.

i seem to have injured my left shoulder and scapular region over the past few days. The pain is quite unignorable! That probably isn’t  an actual word. I think I also have an RA flare going on. Thank goodness the aide was able to come at short notice as I am less than useful. 
take care all

I'm really sorry to hear about the pain in your injured shoulder.  I hope you have help while you're working through it.  Get your rest.

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute Brave Hearts and those dealing with scary pediatric cancer as well as those protecting children from abuse. Superheroes can be inspiring, both in movies and real life. OSHA is important for worker safety. Good quote. Maybe on the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I have not been to Kobe. 

It's already 76F and sunny. Soon a bit of AC may be needed. I slept about 8 hours; I had some trouble falling asleep, likely due to daytime naps (I'm going to try to cut those out). BFF and I have been watching movies and hockey. He got 1 piece of art up yesterday, 2 more to go today. Otherwise, just chill, read books, relax. I did get the indoor cacti fertilized, in preparation for being put outside next month. I hope to start moving a bit more next week. I hear people out mowing, taking advantage of the dry weather after all the rain we've had lately.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for our start today. I hope Linda is not having much pain any more.

@grapau27 I appreciate the link and the explanations. Your lunch looks delightful.

@Cruzin Terri Condolences to Jim on the loss of his friend; I'm sure his family will understand that he can't make the trip there.

@dfish Have a great time meeting up with old friends and colleagues.

@rafinmd Thanks for the maps, and the history of the FR/Daily milestones.

@RMLincoln I'm glad Richard is doing well, and is there to help you through this difficult time.

@ottahand7 Good luck with the plant sales; it seems to be a lot of work to get ready for the sale. I'll take the flower pics, as I don't eat seafood normally (only shrimp).

@smitty34877 So sorry to hear about the shoulder and RA flare. I'm glad the aide could come to help. I'm sure you're doing what you can to ease the pain - heat, NSAIDS? I fear an RA flare, having to be off my meds for 6 weeks post surgery.

@ger_77 DD's Kevin is very cute! Enjoy visiting with Wayne and Fran; I hope he doesn't have too serious health issues. 

@bennybear Great photos from Kobe and Kyoto.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

It's great to read of the amount of sleep you've gotten recently.  I hope that continues!  As usual I woke up at 3:30 a.m. 😵‍💫  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And for the photos from Ilulissat.  What month was this visit there?

It was September 7, 2016.

No significant ice through the actual passage and then this.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It was September 7, 2016.

No significant ice through the actual passage and then this.

Roy

My goodness, that's a lot of ice for September.  It looks like January out there!  Our photos were taken Aug. 15, 2018 and I'm so glad the weather was that nice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sharon, I'm glad your DM feels like going to the dining room to pick up her meals.  I hope her strength returns as she recovers.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

If you'll indulge me a big I pooped out yesterday and never posted any pictures of Ilulissat or least the area.

Crystal Serenity's 2016 Nothwest Passage was a bit of a strange hybrid, operating as a traditional cruise from Anchorage to Nome, and from Nuuk to New York.  In the actual passage it was more of an expedition with the support of RSS Shackleton, a British ship which provides seasonal support to their Antarctic bases.  I think the original plan was to have a fairly traditional visit to Ilulissat but the harbor was so packed with ice that out tenders could not get through to the port, and local boars could not reach us.

Fortunately, the Shackelton was still with us and we salvaged the day with ice cruises using the Zodiacs they were carrying:

A few views from the ice cruise:

icecruise2.jpg

icecruise5.jpg

icecruise6.jpg

A nice feature of all the ice cruises is that midway through the ship we were met by a Zodiac bearing a warming drink of hot chocolate:

chocboat.jpg

Finally, before we headed back we got a nice view of the waiting Serenity with the Shackleton waiting to her right:

icecruise7.jpg

Roy

Roy, thanks for your pictures.  The ice looks a lot bigger from the perspective of a Zodiac.  I think we had about as much ice when we were there in August 2003, but at least, we could tender into the port.

Lenda

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sharon, I'm glad your DM feels like going to the dining room to pick up her meals.  I hope her strength returns as she recovers.

Roy, thanks for your pictures.  The ice looks a lot bigger from the perspective of a Zodiac.  I think we had about as much ice when we were there in August 2003, but at least, we could tender into the port.

Lenda

I think the ice comes from the calving of Greenland Glaciers which probably starts slowly and continues, perhaps accellerating until the weather gets really cold.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today is the 5th anniversary of @richwmn  starting the Fleet Report, Daily, and finally Fleet Report and Daily.  Here are some key dates:

December 31, 2018 @luv2trvll’s last Fleet Location as his source of data disappears

April 27, 2019: Rich puts out feeler on Fleet Locations but had no takers

April 28, 2019: Rich’s first Fleet Report

June 1, 2019 @kazu was first guest host of the Fleet report

Approx December 25, 2019 first “Today is” Starting with Christmas and holidays but something else added for regular days.

March 16, 2020: First appearance of “The Daily” There was not really a change in the substance for a while but March 16 did add a discussion of various possibilities

Other milestones in the Daily:

April 5, 2020: First Meal Suggestion and quote

June 23, 2020: First wine suggestion

June 29, 2020 Maps become a regular feature of the daily

July 9, 2020: My first sunrise

July 10, 2020: First care list

July 27, 2020: First wine review by @cat shepard

August 5, 2020: First alternative meal

August 8: 2020 First shoutout list

September 1, 2020 First Drink AND Drink Review

December 26, 2020: Dailyite Meet and Greet on Zoom

January 27, 2021: Debbie’s first meal review

February 1, 2021, First Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

March 1, 2021 First Destination of the Day

July 24, 2021, First BHB with Passengers Lafnvegas onboard

July 31, 2021, First regularly dailyite on board Crazy for Cats Nieuw Amsterdam

January 18, 2022: Father David’s first sermon on the Daily

June 19, 2022: First Fleet Report and Daily

January 28, 2023 @JazzyV takes over the Care and Celebration lists

January 25, 2024 First Alternative Maps with cruiser names

Roy

Y'all always give me a lot of credit for 'starting' this concept. Please add this to the time line

Lisa @LAFFNVEGAS started the original "Where's the fleet". I contacted her and she began in early 2006, probably Feb. She said that she handed it over to David @luv2trvl in 2010 or 2011. They both deserve a lot of the credit for the existence of this thread. I would have never started without there efforts before me.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 8

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think the ice comes from the calving of Greenland Glaciers which probably starts slowly and continues, perhaps accellerating until the weather gets really cold.

Roy

I agree.  When I was looking up Ilulissat yesterday, It said January and February were the high tourist months.  It's too cold for me then.

Lenda

• Like 5

A brief good afternoon all. I am behind on everything since Friday I came down with a bug and was out of commission until this morning and still am very slow. I will spare you the details.

We had rain, lots of it, on Saturday, but today was cloudy but dry.

@Cruzin TerriSorry to hear about Jim's friend. Shared memories are gone.

All for now.... trying to get some of the mess that accumulated since Friday put away.... but I would rather go back to bed.

Susan

• Like 13

Thought I would mention something about Kobe and the helpful people there.  About fifteen years ago our cruise ship stopped at Kobe and there was a shuttle to downtown.  There were some local citizens who had volunteered to show the tourists around.  Sara and I met a lady there who asked "What would you like to see?"  I mentioned that about 100 years ago my grandfather had died on a ship coming from Hawaii and was buried in Kobe.  I wondered if we could find his grave.  I gave her his name and approximate death date in 1912 or 1913.  She made a few calls and said that he was buried in the foreign cemetery in a park on a mountain outside of Kobe.  We hired a cab and she took us there and found his gravestone in the Russian section of the cemetery.  We took some pictures and came back to Kobe and took her to lunch.

Sometimes it is surprising what you can do on a cruise.

Ray

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good evening all. Just got power back after it went off about 10:30 last night. News says three tornados went through Southern Oklahoma last night. One small town almost leveled, a lot of damage just a few blocks west of me. 4 people died and over 100 injured. More storms moving through tonight.  My Yorkie and I are fine, the closet is a fine place when storm warnings go off! Please pray for those who have been affected by these storms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 17

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Y'all always give me a lot of credit for 'starting' this concept. Please add this to the time line

Lisa @LAFFNVEGAS started the original "Where's the fleet". I contacted her and she began in early 2006, probably Feb. She said that she handed it over to David @luv2trvl in 2010 or 2011. They both deserve a lot of the credit for the existence of this thread. I would have never started without there efforts before me.

Rich, the people you cited deserve credit for starting and  keeping the Fleet Report going.  However, you deserve full credit for The Daily and keeping the thread going and growing during the shutdown.  It would have been easy to just stop the Fleet Report when the fleet was not sailing.  Instead, you not only kept going, but created a safe place for a special group of terrific people to meet during a very trying time.  It gave us a place to safely interact with others.  Thank you for that.

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

A brief good afternoon all. I am behind on everything since Friday I came down with a bug and was out of commission until this morning and still am very slow. I will spare you the details.

We had rain, lots of it, on Saturday, but today was cloudy but dry.

@Cruzin TerriSorry to hear about Jim's friend. Shared memories are gone.

All for now.... trying to get some of the mess that accumulated since Friday put away.... but I would rather go back to bed.

Susan

Susan, I'm sorry you caught a bug, but I'm glad you are feeling better.

1 hour ago, Gsel said:

Good evening all. Just got power back after it went off about 10:30 last night. News says three tornados went through Southern Oklahoma last night. One small town almost leveled, a lot of damage just a few blocks west of me. 4 people died and over 100 injured. More storms moving through tonight.  My Yorkie and I are fine, the closet is a fine place when storm warnings go off! Please pray for those who have been affected by these storms.

Thanks for checking in, snd great news you and your Yorkie are safe.  

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Rich, the people you cited deserve credit for starting and  keeping the Fleet Report going.  However, you deserve full credit for The Daily and keeping the thread going and growing during the shutdown.  It would have been easy to just stop the Fleet Report when the fleet was not sailing.  Instead, you not only kept going, but created a safe place for a special group of terrific people to meet during a very trying time.  It gave us a place to safely interact with others.  Thank you for that.

Susan, I'm sorry you caught a bug, but I'm glad you are feeling better.

Thanks for checking in, snd great news you and your Yorkie are safe.  

Lenda

🌺🌺🌺 Aloha Linda!

I also agree with you big time!! I was there with Lisa and David! Rich asked me about doing the report and his ideas! 
He is the best and has such a heart!! 
His ideas at the beginning were awesome and then like books on a shelf all came into a line!

I am happy it is going strong! With this family here on CC we are able to be part of something big! I bet no other cruise line has this! 
🌺🌺

Mahalo,

Denise🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1