Have my parents been scammed by Princess Promotions?

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

Couldn't they also tell the credit card company the card had been "compromised" and have a new one issued with a new number/CVV code.

They could, but it would be far simpler to just inform the cc company not to accept any charge from Princess Promotions. If they used your suggestion instead, they would have to inform any entity that they had authorized to make an automatic charge to their card of the new information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudd said:

Yes.

Or by filling out a paper form that's available on the ship and put in a drop box in the furutre cruise area.  Some people prefer the old skool way.

8 hours ago, Crown Cruiser said:

I keep reading posts about purchasing FCCs on the app.  Just to confirm:  we do still need to be onboard in order to do this?  I checked the app at home but can't find anyway to purchase.

FCC = Future Cruise CREDITs usually generated by Princess for a variety of reasons like compensation, good will, etc

FCD = Future Cruise DEPOSITs can only be purchased onboard for $100 to be used against (usually) a new booking deposit.  I have bought FCDs for others, but one poster said that it is/was being discontinued, you had to purchase it onboard for yourself. Card to credit card on file (not folio).

It may be purchased:  on the app, fill out a paper form, see a Future Cruise rep. 

OBC (Onboard Credit) can be purchased on the app for use on your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update:

My parents did receive a refund on their credit card for the initial charge of $3000 USD! It was on Tuesday - so it took exactly 7 days as the Princess Promotions guy had suggested.

Of course, they haven't heard anything back about the second charge of $250. The only person at Princess Promotions who seems capable of doing anything should be back from his vacation next week and my dad will follow up then. 

At least they have the bulk of the money back. My mom is on a cruise right now with some of her friends and my dad told her that she's not allowed within 10 feet of the future cruise desk.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Is it just your mom on the cruise (without your dad)?  Wasn’t HE the one to hand over the credit card?  

If they plan on being on more Princess cruises, they should purchase a few Future Cruise Deposits (FCD) for $100 US. No credit card involved. Charged to credit card on file.  THIS is really a good deal.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 5:57 AM, DCThunder said:
On 5/18/2024 at 5:50 AM, Crown Cruiser said:

I keep reading posts about purchasing FCCs on the app.  Just to confirm:  we do still need to be onboard in order to do this?  I checked the app at home but can't find anyway to purchase.

Future Cruise Deposits are only sold on the ships

@AZaTaz

Actually FCD can be purchased once home as part of a WELCOME HOME promo but the OBC is significantly less. Instead of 15 - 150 its 10 - 60. If you use a CVP that they can hook you up, I've gotten the email once or twice, other then that I don't know how you'd get it. Welcome Home / Buy FCD is over a year old. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@AZaTaz

Actually FCD can be purchased once home as part of a WELCOME HOME promo but the OBC is significantly less. Instead of 15 - 150 its 10 - 60. If you use a CVP that they can hook you up, I've gotten the email once or twice, other then that I don't know how you'd get it. Welcome Home / Buy FCD is over a year old. 

I’ve never been offered a Welcome Home offer.  Not sure if it because I have FCDs on the books.  But even when I don’t purchase them while on a cruise, I get nothing.  

• Like 4

Bought my last two in February. Star TA cancellation by Princess saw my FCD turned into a FCC with $50 non refundable OBC per cabin, so I won’t bother with them anymore. I had wanted the FCD S returned like previously with the $75-100 OBC per person for my 16 day cruise.

Often see $99 deposits lately.

7 hours ago, PastryPal said:

Update:

My parents did receive a refund on their credit card for the initial charge of $3000 USD! It was on Tuesday - so it took exactly 7 days as the Princess Promotions guy had suggested.

Of course, they haven't heard anything back about the second charge of $250. The only person at Princess Promotions who seems capable of doing anything should be back from his vacation next week and my dad will follow up then. 

At least they have the bulk of the money back. My mom is on a cruise right now with some of her friends and my dad told her that she's not allowed within 10 feet of the future cruise desk.

Thank you for keeping us all informed. (One of those cases where you cannot give both a like and a thank you unless you post the thank you.

Maybe your Mom could stay some distance away from them, but carry a sign warning others that they should be very wary of anything they say, 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@azbirdmom I thought about that after posting but those are PAST cruises so nothing can be charged to those numbers. I did edit to remove FCD # and next cruise which is where that WELCOME HOME FCD is applied because that could be tampered with. I think I'm ok but will ask CC monitor if my Princess account is at risk

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@azbirdmom I thought about that after posting but those are PAST cruises so nothing can be charged to those numbers. I did edit to remove FCD # and next cruise which is where that WELCOME HOME FCD is applied because that could be tampered with. I think I'm ok but will ask CC monitor if my Princess account is at risk

Thinking you are probably OK.  I didn't notice that these were past cruises when I made that suggestion, my brain automatically goes there any time I see a booking number!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

@Ombud Just to be on the safe side, I got rid of it.  Who knows what someone could find out with past info!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

@Ombud Just to be on the safe side, I got rid of it.  Who knows what someone could find out with past info!  

Almost certainly, nothing. Based on my airline experience, record locators (booking or confirmation numbers) are recycled almost immediately after the travel is in the past. That's one reason why with most airlines resolving any post-travel issues requires the ticket number and not the record locator (ticket numbers do not go away for a few years). While the Princess system could be different, I doubt it as most transportation reservation systems trace back to the same initial work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PastryPal said:

Update:

OMG

Just found this thread Re, Princess Promotions. Will try to make story short.  On Sky Princess transpacific cruise in March w/extension to Iberian Peninsula.  Basically, a back 2 back sold as 1–30-day cruise (so they wouldn't have to give you double specials dining etc.) 3/9 to 4/8.  Saw world cruise special on board only. Talked to rep who we thought was princess employee and was told for $3000 would get $12000 future cruise credit.  We were all in.  Mentioned other benefits, but we weren't interested in and told him so.  Signed on dotted line and received cruise confirmation 3/16.  Happy with price which reflected $12000 credit.  Get home and get a credit card bill for $666 from Princess Promotions on 4/15.  Call them immediately and explain this is not we thought we purchased.  To cancel. Told we signed contract for $666 payment for 18 months. They have to investigate. No response so on 5/4 dispute with credit card company which immediately reverses charge, and they will contact Princess Promotions to get their side.  5/16 Credit card company says based on Princess we are responsible for charge and reinstates. They said we did not cancel in time.  We were on cruise. We immediately dispute and send paperwork etc. and now ask for our $3000 deposit which was not originally disputed.   In addition, World Cruise itinerary was changed on 4/9 due to middle east problems so now cancel cruise on 4/25 with my travel agent due to itinerary change. We could have lived with itinerary change but at this point want nothing with Princess.

Credit card company has reversed charge again and is again contacting Princess Promotions. Don't know how it will be resolved.

Lessons, if it's too good to be true it probably is, Read everything especially small print.  Don't take for granted what salesmen is telling, read contract.  Our fault.  We are in 70's and were cocky.  We have been Princess cruisers since Sitmar days.  They have been going downhill selling benefits that were free as a better deal now that you are paying for (Pizza etc.).  Benefit is we are looking for next year and there are a lot of good or better cruises Holland-America, Viking, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, PastryPal said:

Update:

Thank you for this thread. Because of reading about your parents' problems, I was able to put a stop to my husband talking to Princess Promotions.  Princess Promotions called the house and my husband answered. He told them "no thank you" but they were very persistent. 

• Like 2

In all fairness, this is not a "scam".  Misrepresentation maybe.  But you have to sign a contract for this promotion (however they get you to do that).  It is definitely a "buyer beware" red flag.  I think, and I could be wrong, but handing over a credit card may suffice as an agreement to purchase said goods.

I don' think that they "target" the older population, but the older population is less internet savvy (they doesn't buy wifi or have alerts), less techie, and more trusting.  

Regardless, this is a black eye for Princess.  But I do not see them eliminating this promotion.  Do you remember when Princess Fine Arts was a reputable company with decent (even sometimes good) art like Wyland? 

Then Park West Fine Arts took over, first as Park West, then as Princess Fine Art? Now you have to register your cabin number to get a glass of their champaign.  In my opinion, they are shysters. 

I have so far managed to escape their cold calls or sales pitch on the ship.  I follow the adage: " too good to be true".  It is lucky for Cruise Critic Members to have these threads that forewarn them of such an approach.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

In all fairness, this is not a "scam".  Misrepresentation maybe.  But you have to sign a contract for this promotion (however they get you to do that).  It is definitely a "buyer beware" red flag.  I think, and I could be wrong, but handing over a credit card may suffice as an agreement to purchase said goods.

I don' think that they "target" the older population, but the older population is less internet savvy (they doesn't buy wifi or have alerts), less techie, and more trusting.  

Regardless, this is a black eye for Princess.  But I do not see them eliminating this promotion.  Do you remember when Princess Fine Arts was a reputable company with decent (even sometimes good) art like Wyland? 

Then Park West Fine Arts took over, first as Park West, then as Princess Fine Art? Now you have to register your cabin number to get a glass of their champaign.  In my opinion, they are shysters. 

I have so far managed to escape their cold calls or sales pitch on the ship.  I follow the adage: " too good to be true".  It is lucky for Cruise Critic Members to have these threads that forewarn them of such an approach.

I don’t get how you call the art auction folks shysters. No one forces you to give up your cabin number or buy art work. It is no difference from small art galleries it is up to the buyer what the worth of the art is   Hey peoples tastes are different. I buy the art I like and don’t buy things I don’t. I don’t buy the art to put on my walls as an investment but for a pleasant and interesting environment 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 7:51 PM, SCX22 said:

I made a comment before that was deleted by mods regarding this topic to the effect that given Princess' older demographic, they are preying on older people.  It's like elder abuse.

I fit that group, but after reading all the posts here, I definitely won't be signing up for anything at all on board except straightforward 100$ fcd credits, and will firmly refer any persistent salesmen to this topic for their education!

Edited by Dunchues

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I don’t get how you call the art auction folks shysters. No one forces you to give up your cabin number or buy art work. It is no difference from small art galleries it is up to the buyer what the worth of the art is   Hey peoples tastes are different. I buy the art I like and don’t buy things I don’t. I don’t buy the art to put on my walls as an investment but for a pleasant and interesting environment 

I agree that people have different tastes and art is very personal.  That's not what I was referring to.  In order to get that "free" glass of champagne/bubbly (sorry for my first reference) you have to register with your cabin number to get a paddle.  Very few of the art is original.  Most are embellished to make them "worth" more.  I purchased art from the Original Princess Fine Arts.  I avoid Park West now a days.  Only went with my sister on one voyage since she had more of an interest/background in the arts.  Even she stopped going except to get the "free prints".

I remember on one short cruise, I hit EVERY Spa presentation, Art Talk, Ice Carving, etc to get it "out of my system".  Now, I cruise to enjoy the sea days, food, entertainment, and, yes, even my stateroom.

Maybe I am a little jaded after so many cruises, but I don't want to have to be so cautious about what might happen if I let my guard down.  It's called relaxing.