Medical emergency Edge

Bridge just notified us we have to return to port Kona about 4hours for medical emergency. He says to windy for helicopter to land about 15 MPh on ship?

sounds a little fishy? What is actually happening? 

• Thanks 1

What is "fishy?"  Apparently the Edge is returning to Kona as someone is experiencing a serious medical emergency.  You need to be thankful that you are not that person with the medical emergency and be more understanding of the situation.

• Like 41
  • Thanks 7

Of course that is the most important thing. What seems odd is that if it were a true emergency then there should be a helicopter that can evacuate the patient in this weather. Every minute counts in an emergency. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, John GLISSMEYER said:

Of course that is the most important thing. What seems odd is that if it were a true emergency then there should be a helicopter that can evacuate the patient in this weather. Every minute counts in an emergency. 

So you are doubting there is an actual emergency?

You think the captain is lying to you and the rest of the passengers?

Is it windy? Do you know the proper weather conditions for a helicopter to land on a ship? I suspect this isn't an easy thing to do in normal weather.

You are right that "every minute counts" which is why they are turning back. 

I guess I'm not sure exactly what it is that you think is "fishy" 

Edited by alyssamma
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Who said anything about doubting an emergency? It’s the landing of the helicopter vs returning to port. Since fishy seems to be the problem here take it out of the post and read the rest, I am concerned there is an emergency and that there is a faster way to help the patient. I have zero concern about anyone making up emergencies and care a lot about the person who is in trouble. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, John GLISSMEYER said:

Who said anything about doubting an emergency? It’s the landing of the helicopter vs returning to port. Since fishy seems to be the problem here take it out of the post and read the rest, I am concerned there is an emergency and that there is a faster way to help the patient. I have zero concern about anyone making up emergencies and care a lot about the person who is in trouble. 

Gotcha, ok, sounded different from your original post. So you are doubting the weather is too bad for a helicopter? 

If not, and you agree it is too bad for that, what is faster other than returning to port?

You didn't answer my Q...is it windy? Do you know the weather requirements to land a helicopter on a ship?

There are emergencies all the time where the "fastest" way isn't used for safety reasons.

Also, I guess it depends on the emergency. Something that can be stabilized but not treated on the ship? A true life or death situation? Etc

But overall it sounds like you think they should use a helicopter, but the captain says that is too dangerous, and that is your issue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John GLISSMEYER said:

Bridge just notified us we have to return to port Kona about 4hours for medical emergency. He says to windy for helicopter to land about 15 MPh on ship?

sounds a little fishy? What is actually happening? 

It's a conspiracy!!!

I kid.  I hope the person in medical distress has a prompt and complete recovery.

• Like 1

The helicopter can´t land onboard anyway. The patient is winched up in a stretcher. So with a bit of wind, that might be too dangerous.

steamboats

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

Very sorry to hear that, I hope the person is ok. 

On a side note, the Edge sure is having its share of bad luck this cruise. I hope after this your sailing gets better. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

The helicopter can´t land onboard anyway. The patient is winched up in a stretcher. So with a bit of wind, that might be too dangerous.

Added to that is the fact that the patient may be in a condition where they cannot be safely winched up on the stretcher. 

Your captain and the medical team on board along with the ground medical crew in communication with the ship have decided on the best course of action for that patient. 

Unless you are involved in the care of the patient and part of the medical team involved with making that decision, you’ll need to trust that they are making the right decision right now and enjoy your cruise because someone else is not having a great cruise…

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, John GLISSMEYER said:

...What seems odd is that if it were a true emergency then there should be a helicopter that can evacuate the patient in this weather. Every minute counts in an emergency. 

Are you a ship Captain?  Or Coast Guard pilot?  Or medical personnel? Do you know the facts of the passengers' situation?  I would put my faith in the Captain of the ship, the Coast Guard authority, and the ships' medical staff in making what they feel is the best decision to address the passenger's situation while maintaining the highest level of safety for both the helicopter, the ship, and the passenger over any lay person's uniformed opinion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 9

Wow, the edge sure is having its time in the spotlight.  I sure hope the passenger is OK.  Does this mean a missed port or ?  How do they handle it when they need to turn back for an emergency? 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Octavias said:

Wow, the edge sure is having its time in the spotlight.  I sure hope the passenger is OK.  Does this mean a missed port or ?  How do they handle it when they need to turn back for an emergency? 

The port the ship is returning to will be notified of the situation so they can prepare how to best receive the ship and the passenger.  The Captain will then determine the total time lost due to the emergency in comparison with the remaining itinerary and will make a determination regarding any missed or possible alternate ports of call, or additional time at sea as a result.  It is one of those unexpected situations that can and do arise during a cruise, and the Captain will adjust accordingly.

• Like 4

Years ago we were sailing on RC and they prepared the landing area for the helicopter to pick up a patient.  The wind was getting worse and after about 25 minutes of watching and waiting for the copter they said they had to cancel the landing. Luckily the patient had improved a bit and getting them to the nearest port was the only option.  So after getting the patient to a hospital we learned later he was doing ok. You never know!

• Like 2

I'd be willing to guess that at the same time the ship is heading back, a Coast Guard boat is also heading out so as to meet in the middle to transfer the patient.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

Although some helicopter rescues do occur, for the most part if there is any way to avoid one, they will try to do so. There is an added danger factor.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Years ago we were sailing on RC and they prepared the landing area for the helicopter to pick up a patient.  The wind was getting worse and after about 25 minutes of watching and waiting for the copter they said they had to cancel the landing. Luckily the patient had improved a bit and getting them to the nearest port was the only option.  So after getting the patient to a hospital we learned later he was doing ok. You never know!

I have a similar story on one of my cruises from some years ago that wasn't on either Celebrity or Royal.  We made haste to our disembarkation port, which happened to be the nearest large port.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

This is likely exactly the issue.  They built these new ships with no helicopter pads - better I guess to have more income producing areas than to prepare for a passenger or crew emergency.  Anyway............I'm guess that's the issue.

6 hours ago, Octavias said:

It's not that uncommon for there to be a medical emergency requiring a ship - any ship - to divert to a port to evacuate a patient. It's hardly worthy of a "spotlight".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Edge for the 3/13/24 cruise and we due to arrive at 6am in Sydney on the day of disembarkation. Early in the evening of the night before the captain announced we'd return by 3-4am because of a sick passenger. I had a 10am flight that I was worried about making, but it all worked out great for me since we were docked about 3:30am.

About a month later we were on the Grand Princess and a crew member had to be evacuated by helicopter. This was the day before we were supposed to arrive in Honolulu. The captain said we had to be 100 miles of the coast of the big island for the USCG to be able to make it. It was very dramatic with a USCG plane circling the ship for about an hour & then the helicopter hovered above to remove the crew member. Everyone was on their balcony taking pictures even though the captain said to stay off!  At dinner that night our waiter said it was someone with appendicitis. He said it's the most common issue to have to be evacuated, at least with the crew. 

• Like 1

We had a helicopter evacuation on the Sihouette. Ship had to slow down almost to stationary. It was an incredibly difficult procedure and they had several fly arounds to try achieve it which they did. It's also extremely dangerous for the ship if something should go wrong with the helicopter and its impact on the ship. They did, after an hour or so manage the procedure. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

They built these new ships with no helicopter pads - better I guess to have more income producing areas than to prepare for a passenger or crew emergency.  Anyway............I'm guess that's the issue.

I think it is more likely that making an actual helicopter landing at sea on a ship - moving or not - is rather dangerous and perhaps when you factor in the actual number of times a helicopter pad is used for an emergency evacuation it becomes less necessary to have one. 

We have been on a ship when a helicopter evacuation was performed and they hovered over the moving ship above the pool deck and airlifted the passenger from there.  I guess the seriousness of the passengers' condition outweighed the risk of the airlift.

We have also been on a ship that turned around to meet a coast guard vessel an hour or so away to evacuate an ill passenger rather than do so by helicopter.  I think airlifts are very risky.

• Like 2