Gratuities

Hello everyone!

I have a questions about gratuities and understand it can be a hot button topic for some.  This is our first cruise and we are booking on the Constellation going from Rome to Venice and our fare included gratuities.  

What is the expectation for gratuities over and above that?  Particularly for the room steward and restaurant waiters.  

Do you tip waiters every time you dine?

Thank you!

I always tip extra at the end for great service. Some people do; others do not - a personal decision.   I do not tip the dining room waiters every day.  I do give the bartenders or cocktail waiters a tip with every drink.  Be advised that in some cases tips are pooled.  For example, if you tip your waiter the tip will be shared with others in the dining room (at least for Blu and Luminae - not sure about the main dining room).  Sommeliers are usually tipped separately.  The tip you give to your room steward will be shared with behind the scenes workers as well.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For the most part, we do just the standard. There are always some workers who deserve more and some that deserve zero. So we like the standard daily gratitude that use to be included (which you actually paid in higher Rates, but we now pay onboard)and so they can figure it out themselves.

Edited by newcruzer2
  • Like 1

Just now, newcruzer2 said:

For the most part, we do just the standard. There are always some workers who deserve more and some that deserve zero. So we like the standard daily gratitude that use to be included (which you actually pay in higher

Rates but we pay onboard)and so they can figure it out themselves.

what is the standard?  Sorry, I am a new cruiser and don't have any idea what that means.

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I always tip extra at the end for great service. Some people do; others do not - a personal decision.   I do not tip the dining room waiters every day.  I do give the bartenders or cocktail waiters a tip with every drink.  Be advised that in some cases tips are pooled.  For example, if you tip your waiter the tip will be shared with others in the dining room (at least for Blu and Luminae - not sure about the main dining room).  Sommeliers are usually tipped separately.  The tip you give to your room steward will be shared with behind the scenes workers as well.  

Do you use a percentage or how do you decide what to tip additionally?  

Tipping above the standard gratuities is an option each passenger makes.  

While we may differ from others, our practices is that if a crew member just does their job we do not feel compelled to tip extra.    For service above and beyond we tip commensurate  with the additional service and attentiveness.  

My norm for Butlers, Room Attendant, Favorite Bar Tender, Waiter and Assistant waiter is $5 - $10 pp per day.    

We only tip at the end of the cruise and never tip al la carte. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Tipping above the standard gratuities is an option each passenger makes.  

While we may differ from others, our practices is that if a crew member just does their job we do not feel compelled to tip extra.    For service above and beyond we tip commensurate  with the additional service and attentiveness.  

My norm for Butlers, Room Attendant, Favorite Bar Tender, Waiter and Assistant waiter is $5 - $10 pp per day.    

We only tip at the end of the cruise and never tip al la carte. 

Thank you, this helps.

If the gratuities are included in your fare, you have, IMO, made your contribution. I would only give an extra ‘tip’ to a staff member who had gone out of their way to provide over and above service. A gratuity is added to the cost of every drink you purchase on board, so no need to tip extra. 

• Like 4

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

I like extra butter on my popcorn. 🍿

Me too!  But only real butter, none of the fake junk LOL

21 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I do give the bartenders or cocktail waiters a tip with every drink.

if you don't have a drink package, then the individual tip of 18-20% is usually added to the individual drink purchase, in which case one may not want to add another tip on top of that.

• Like 3

We tip extra to our cabin attendant, dining wait staff, butler and sommlier if they have provided service we consider more than the standard.  For the sommlier that could  be recommending wines to pair with our food, for the cabin attendant getting us ice daily or handling mutlitple laundry packages, or regularly seeing me coming down the hall with hands full and rushing to open the cabin door. The wait staff may make good recommendations on what to order or what to avoid at dinner, remembering you want a glass of just ice every evening and bring it without you asking every time.  We tip the bartenders at the bars we frequent regularly if they have provided good service and remembered our favorite drinks.
We give these tips at the end of the cruise, generally I put the $ in an envelope with a Thank You note. 

We tip the bartenders at the bars we frequent regularly if they have provided good service, remembered our favorite drinks, etc.  generally we give these tips at the end as well.

The only folks we tip before the end are the restroom attendants, if we stop at the same restroom say on the way to dinner we will give the attendant a couple of $ every few days. 

• Like 4

You're not required, nor is it expected that you will tip beyond what has already been included in your fare.  Tipping is a cultural thing in America and not the norm in Europe and elsewhere.  Tip above what you've already paid if you feel compelled.  But you're doing nothing wrong if you don't offer additional tips.  It's personal and completely up to you.  Going off what others say they do with regard to tipping is never the way, IMO.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, lwid77 said:

Hello everyone!

I have a questions about gratuities and understand it can be a hot button topic for some.  This is our first cruise and we are booking on the Constellation going from Rome to Venice and our fare included gratuities.  

What is the expectation for gratuities over and above that? 

mo expectation but always appreciated

• Like 1

There are envelopes for gratuities should you decide to give extra. Sometimes the cabin attendant leaves them in your cabin or otherwise you can get then at the guest service desk.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Octavias said:

If you have a drink package, does it already have the tips figured in as well?

If you have a drink package drinks include gratuities but many tip extra on top for exceptional service.

We have gotten to the point in the Specialty when buying a bottle of wine and they add the 20% on top we do not feel compelled to tip extra.    After all we generally would not tip beyond 20% in gratuities for dinner or drinks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lwid77 said:

Hello everyone!

What is the expectation for gratuities over and above that?  Particularly for the room steward and restaurant waiters.  

Do you tip waiters every time you dine?

Thank you!

Add me to the group that does the pre-paid tips and tips extra to butler, room steward and Luminae wait staff.  Although premium drink package is included, so I am paying it, I do not drink alcohol but would not tip extra for drinks, IMO 20% included more than covers that.  

• Like 1

Since the OP is new I'll just point out that if you haven't paid the gratuities as part of you cruise fare they will be charged daily to your onboard account.  These gratuities cover room steward, dining staff, butler (if in a suite) and other behind the scenes staff.

Tips on drinks are automatically added to each drink.  If you have a drink package the tips are included in what you paid for the package.  If you order a drink over the package limit you will be charge the difference and 20% of that difference will be added to the slip you sign.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Since the OP is new I'll just point out that if you haven't paid the gratuities as part of you cruise fare they will be charged daily to your onboard account.  These gratuities cover room steward, dining staff, butler (if in a suite) and other behind the scenes staff.

Tips on drinks are automatically added to each drink.  If you have a drink package the tips are included in what you paid for the package.  If you order a drink over the package limit you will be charge the difference and 20% of that difference will be added to the slip you sign.

Thank you.  This helps a lot as well. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

You're not required, nor is it expected that you will tip beyond what has already been included in your fare.  Tipping is a cultural thing in America and not the norm in Europe and elsewhere.  Tip above what you've already paid if you feel compelled.  But you're doing nothing wrong if you don't offer additional tips.  It's personal and completely up to you.  Going off what others say they do with regard to tipping is never the way, IMO.

Other than Princess, our prices in Australia generally include tips. The first cruise we went on, RCL, the crew put envelopes on the bed for cash tips. 

I understand why people tip for good service and we do this too. What I dislike is people who tip 'in advance' to get good service. That is a bribe in my books. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, lwid77 said:

what is the standard?  Sorry, I am a new cruiser and don't have any idea what that means.

The "auto grats" included in your fare are split as shown below.

The figure shown for the Room Steward is not shared. The behind the scenes people ( laundry, cleaners get their share from the $2 figure.

All drinks bought on the ship have grats added or included automatically.

The Somellier is not included in "auto grats" but a grat is added /included to any bottle you purchase.

No obligation to pay any additional tips.

The current grats and how the ship divides/shares them are. You can get a copy from Guest Relations - just ask.

Celebrity Grats - 2023.jpg

• Like 1