Is princess plus worth it?

I am trying to decide whether to get the plus package or not.  If you don’t get the package does Princess periodically run sales for the internet?  Also is it possible for one person in the cabin to buy internet package and not the other?  

Posted (edited)

If you like to drink then the package is probably worth it.   

No sales on the internet.

You are buying the internet by device.   Two people can use one package/one device.   As long as you are not on the internet at the same time.   One person logs off then the other person logs on.

Edited by waltd
  • Like 2

"If you don’t get the package does Princess periodically run sales for the internet ?"

Not that I've seen.

"Also is it possible for one person in the cabin to buy internet package and not the other?  "

Yes, one device at a time, you can share.

"Is Princess Plus worth it?"

Depends on how much you drink. Not worth it for me, many others find it is.

• Like 4

I thought I read somewhere that a 4 device internet package is cheaper than 2 single device internet packages.  Anyone know how much a 4 device package costs ?( can’t find the price on the website without a booking)and can 2 devices sign into that account at the same time?

I look at it this way.

$16/pp/day for the gratuity

$25/device, 1 device plan, for unlimited internet access. Half price if you are platinum or elite loyalty level. If you need to be connected to the satellite internet 24/7 then that cost is important for you. One device can be shared. 

Unlimited non alcoholic beverages. Mainly specialty coffees, sodas, water. Of course if you use it. For me this benefit is worth $15/day, mostly for the specialty coffees.

Add up your est. costs/pp/day.

Subtract from $60/pp. First two passengers in a cabin must have the same package.

Add back number of alcoholic beverages, average cost maybe around $12.

Consider if you have enough OBC to cover.

That's the math.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Some info for you on plus package (60 per day)

If you both get the package, then you each get an internet access.

If one gets the package, then both must get the package.

Includes crew appreciation amounts for each package - I think now it is 16 a day per person.

Includes two casual dining venues - value at 15 a person for a total of 60 for both of you.

Includes all alcoholic drinks up to 15 each which includes the tip.  .

Includes two premium deserts per day

Includes fitness package

Includes unlimited water, soda, coffee and specialty coffees

Free medallion shipping per package (10 per medallion/ 20 for two. 

I'm sure I'm missing things.  If you plan on having 3 or more alcoholic drinks a day this may be best for you as alcoholic drinks are generally $12 plus 18% tips each.  Specialty coffees are about $5.00 each plus 18% tips. Botttled Water and soda generally $3.00 each plus 18%.

We generally get the plus package as we then don't fret over the cost of each item.

You may want to wait until you board ship to buy the package.  You have the day of embarkation and the next day to purchase and if you have any on-board credit you can use that to purchase.  .  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I booked my cruise without the Plus package, but have been rethinking it.

Being in a suite, my tips are $18ppd. So, for the two of us, $252. My wife must have internet (she goes nuts if she can't keep up with her email/messages and returns home to 1000 messages). For just a single device, I'm looking at $175 for the week. If I decide to get internet myself, I'd get the 4 device for $315. Even though we get the minibar and access to sodas in the concierge lounge, I'll still need to get my wife the soda package for $124 for the week so she can get a soda whenever she wants (I'm happy with the included beverages, or just grabbing something from the lounge). So, assuming I go for the multi-device internet package, it's only a $150 difference between a la carte, and the Plus package. So in my case, I'm considering upgrading to it as I do the numbers.

• Like 1

With coffees, bottles of water, mocktails, cocktails, room service, fitness classes, it's well worth it for us. 

Sitting by the pool or in a lounge and easily ordering food and drinks on the app is so convenient. We order coffees and waters prior to entering the buffet. Once we're seated usually a minute or two and our drinks are delivered.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

With coffees, bottles of water, mocktails, cocktails, room service, fitness classes, it's well worth it for us. 

Sitting by the pool or in a lounge and easily ordering food and drinks on the app is so convenient. We order coffees and waters prior to entering the buffet. Once we're seated usually a minute or two and our drinks are delivered.  

Definitely.  For us part of the benefit is no worries, no surprises.  We're on vacation. The math doesn't have to work out perfectly to be worth it. 

• Like 6

I don't drink and I reduce my gratuity to $10 PP PD and only need one devise to share with partner, so it's definitely not worth it to me. If you use all the amenities and the math works out for you then you can decide if it's worth it.

• Like 2

We had it one cruise and felt that only drinking a few drinks each a day wasn't worth it. Plus the fact that our internet usage just doesn't warrant the price.

2 hours ago, HappyPlace1 said:

I thought I read somewhere that a 4 device internet package is cheaper than 2 single device internet packages.  

It's $5 / day cheaper. Prices assume you aren't Elite:

1-device: $24.99

4-device: $44.99

Hope that helps.

6 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

It's $5 / day cheaper. Prices assume you aren't Elite:

1-device: $24.99

4-device: $44.99

Hope that helps.

I am not elite.  Thank you

• Like 1

We do like our specialty coffees and wine, beer and cocktails so, it’s definitely worth it for us.  We also like to order food via the app or through the cabin phone, so that is nother plus for us.  I may not have seen it mentioned but it also includes free shipping for your medallion if you pay the plus fare ahead of time.  And it also includes two dinners at casual dining.  For us .. it’s a no brainer!  
For the Royal class ships with additional casual dining venues, we tend to upgrade to the premier package and don’t even bother with dining in the MDR for dinner.  
Again, well worth it for us.  

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We do like our specialty coffees and wine, beer and cocktails so, it’s definitely worth it for us.  We also like to order food via the app or through the cabin phone, so that is nother plus for us.  I may not have seen it mentioned but it also includes free shipping for your medallion if you pay the plus fare ahead of time.  And it also includes two dinners at casual dining.  For us .. it’s a no brainer!  
For the Royal class ships with additional casual dining venues, we tend to upgrade to the premier package and don’t even bother with dining in the MDR for dinner.  
Again, well worth it for us.  

We are the same!  The packages work for us and since we don’t eat in the buffet or MDR for dinner, the Premier package is perfect.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

I don't drink and I reduce my gratuity to $10 PP PD and only need one devise to share with partner, so it's definitely not worth it to me. If you use all the amenities and the math works out for you then you can decide if it's worth it.

Not being disrespectful, but I’m curious how you came up with $10 per person per day for gratuities. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

That's part of my issue. I'm not a specialty coffee person, I'm fine drinking tap water, not a huge drinker, definitely not doing fitness classes. 

While the casual eating venues are a nice to have, I can easily skip them. I am intrigued by the premium desserts, but again, not a must have. For me, the package would be just for the convenience. 

• Thanks 1

Just returned from an 11 day Alaska Cruise.  Plus would have cost us $1320.  Prepaid Gratuities cost us $352.  Neither of us are big internet users, take cruises to disconnect and unwind, and a side benefit of Alaska cruising is we could get free internet through our data plan in port.  We are not specialty coffee drinkers, on ship or at home.  Have only ever bought hot chocolate twice at Starbucks.  Bottled water is something we drink, but in case you are not aware, you can pre-order bottled water to be delivered to your stateroom for $7+/12 bottles.  This works out to $0.85/bottle.   This must be ordered pre cruise.  Can also pre order canned soda in qty of six for like $1.25/can.  We pre-ordered 3 12pks of water and 12 cans soda for $36-38 pre cruise.  Purchased 5 drinks during the cruise, $12.98 each, for $65.  So for us, the Plus package would have cost us about $865 more than what we spent.  This was what was right for us.  Do you need internet,  then the package is probably better.  If you would  drink 3-4 alcoholic drinks each per day then the package is probably right for you. You just need to look at your personal habits and apply the prices and see what you end up with.  We met a couple on our cruise whose sole focus was to ensure they drank enough to justify their expenditure.   Just like I wouldn't want to worry about overspending, which is a good reason for the packages, I don't want to worry about "am I getting my value" from the package.   Only you can determine if the packages are right for you.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2024 at 12:26 PM, Lady Arwen said:

Not being disrespectful, but I’m curious how you came up with $10 per person per day for gratuities. 

I have a feeling that they change their onboard account to $10.00 per day for gratuities. 

Without dealing with whether Plus etc value which is really an individual accounting, but the fact of doin all this math and pre=planning becomes stressful. I much preferred the long ago cruising math. Paid fare based on cabin style. Onboard paid for drinks, excursions, shop purchases, on, onboard account. Gratuities paid cash with a recommendation per day, per category, at end of cruise your discretion.

Now, math for fare checking continual alleged SALE rates. Then multiple fare categories and inclusions. Just feel like sitting with a calculator all months up to cruise final. New rules, rates all the time. More ala-carte all the time. Really starting to ruin the whole cruise experience fir restful vacation.

Now you can you tube and find dozens of breakdowns of these costs if you really want a headache.

CRUISING - for ACCOUNTANTS ONLY coming soon

George in NY

Posted (edited)

Honestly it's the right call for most people. 

Where it's not the right call are: People who remove gratuities or don't use or share wi-fi AND they don't drink much. 

$60/day is low for a stand-alone drink package compared to the rest of the cruising industry so just drinks alone it's not that hard to justify it, but when you factor in the other inclusions it really is the right thing for most people.  Not judging it any way and not saying they don't exist, there's plenty of people who's vacation style doesn't justify the $60/day, but it's safe to say it makes sense more often than not.

If you plan to pay your gratuities and would purchase wi-fi anyway, you only need to get usefulness out of about $20 of premium coffees, sodas, and alcohol per day for the package to make sense.  With on-board prices as they are $20 isn't much. A lot of people get this out of just coffee/water/soda before even factoring in a single sip of alcohol.  If you take out wi-fi and/or gratuities it's a higher bar for how much you need to drink to justify the package.

Edited by PMGS247
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1