Georgia Peaches heads to The Last Frontier…Seeking Answers…Will She Love Alaska? Live-May 31-June 7th…Teetering on The Edge

1 hour ago, robbinsca said:

If you take the train in Skagway sit on the left side (as you view from the back) on the way up.

Great tip!  Thank you.  We are taking the train but we're only going one way...up.  The return trip will be via bicycle 😎.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

My first trip to Alaska, I went kicking and screaming, was out numbered by my sons and hubby on the chosen vacation destination for that year. I have returned four times since and all by my doing. I can't get enough! I'm actually sailing the Solstice this July r/t Vancouver. Every sailing and every port is always different. I've done some incredible excursions that have made my experience unforgettable! My bet is that you'll love Alaska, as it's truly magnificent! 

To brag on my one claim to fame as an Outstanding Packer. I've sailed Alaska with several days on land with carry on only. I'm a rare bird 😜

Happily following along, 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Great tip!  Thank you.  We are taking the train but we're only going one way...up.  The return trip will be via bicycle 😎.

It's super fun! 🚲

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

we bravely embark on the Edge of an adventure of a lifetime

Post back if umbrellas are in the cabins or you need to request them. Bon Voyage. 🍻

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We sorta threw this in as an after thought...I'm really glad we did!

Glad you did.   We really enjoyed the Gardens ---- If you have time you can  also book Tea at the Empress on your own at about 1/2 the price of Celebrity.    They bus drop off / pickup is usually right in front of hotel.

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing how you enjoy Alaska!  I'm sure you will.  I hope to get back there in the next couple of years.  I don't like cold or rain either, but enjoyed enough to want to return.

• Like 1

I think you will have a wonderful trip. As has already been said, layering is your friend. I lived in a long sleeved shirt and a fleece vest. The only place we used our puffy jackets was on the Mendenhall Glacier.

Safe travels!

Carolyn

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad you did.   We really enjoyed the Gardens ---- If you have time you can  also book Tea at the Empress on your own at about 1/2 the price of Celebrity.    They bus drop off / pickup is usually right in front of hotel.

Well it seems we may have hit our first snag.  Was taking your advice about getting our own tickets to the gardens and while on their website, noticed that they close at 5 PM.  Edge doesn't arrive in Victoria until 5:30...so we will miss the tea as well 😌.  I could have sworn we arrived at 3:30 but I guess I confused the time with something else. 

37 minutes ago, cw2go said:

To brag on my one claim to fame as an Outstanding Packer. I've sailed Alaska with several days on land with carry on only. I'm a rare bird 😜

You have my utmost respect and admiration 😊

• Haha 2

Hello Georgia Peaches….you’re most welcome and glad you booked this great deal as we did! We’re also in a MCSS on deck 9 also for an all-in of around $5K with the same perks. Also, it was my DW and I who posted traveling with 1 small roller suitcase and a carry-on each. The cool, wet weather forecast made it easy to eliminate warm weather clothing and concentrate on layering clothes. This is our 2d cruise to Alaska and I’m quite certain you will love the beauty and charm of the entire trip!  Looking forward to meeting you and others from our Roll Call. Safe trip….  

• Like 1

So it would seem from the comments that I am not the only one who has struggled with packing for Alaska.  I wish I could pair things down like @cw2go or @WrittenOnYourHeart…but it is not to be…at least not on this trip.  I have seen my way clear to remove a black out sleeping mask from my carry on…whoopee!

After making final payment, I began in earnest my quest for stylish Alaska clothes that would provide both function and practicality with a modicum of cuteness sprinkled on top, without breaking the bank.  Easier said than done but I managed to get inspiration from Pinterest and a handful of YouTube videos. 

For this trip I purchased slouchy socks to stick out of the end of my rain boots (also purchased new), several pair of exercise pants (yoga style), and a few moisture wicking tunic tops, as well as rain gear and a black puffer jacket from Lands End.  I then added a bunch of basics that were already a part of my wardrobe…to include a sweater, flannel shirt, tank tops (for layering)…and some dressier soft pants and tops for evening, jeans, a dressy jacket, walking shoes, sandals, hat, gloves and a bathing suit. WHEW!  But then I read that the indoor spaces on the ship are hot, so I threw in a few short-sleeved tops and then a dress, for good measure. 

Now here’s where it gets good…since I live in a mostly mild climate in winter with plenty of heat in the summer, the vast majority of my wardrobe is geared toward keeping cool.  I didn’t own a lot of layering pieces because I don’t layer! I’m happy to report that my entire Alaska wardrobe ran me less than $100 because the vast majority of it came from my local Good Will…to include my Lands End puffer jacket which was priced at $9.99.  However, it turns out I am considered a senior citizen (at age 56) and on Tuesdays I get 50% off…I can’t wait to sport my $5 jacket on glacier day…not to mention the other things I saved from going into a landfill somewhere.  Yay!

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

@Georgia_Peaches Looking forward to following along and reading about your Alaska adventures.   We've done four Alaskan cruises and they still remain one of our favorites.  You will not regret upgrading your phone as the scenery is what makes it such as special place to visit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

very impressive!

48 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well it seems we may have hit our first snag.  Was taking your advice about getting our own tickets to the gardens and while on their website, noticed that they close at 5 PM.  Edge doesn't arrive in Victoria until 5:30...so we will miss the tea as well 😌.  I could have sworn we arrived at 3:30 but I guess I confused the time with something else. 

the Empress hotel area and grounds will still be lovely.. but I would not rec going too far from port..  Traffic snarls are very  well.known!

perhaps you can find a nearby walking tour?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Enjoy your trip.  I only did Alaska once and, while I enjoyed it, it is very, very different from a Caribbean cruise.  We sailed on Galaxy and the only reason we went to Alaska was because Galaxy was a brand new ship and was sailing an Alaska itinerary and I desperately wanted to sail on the brand-new Galaxy.

Layering is the key to clothing during the day.  I went in July (which supposedly is the "best" month weather-wise to travel to Alaska!).  We had rain every single day and it was very HUMID - so I needed to wear rain-gear but I was sweating underneath the rain gear due to the humidity.  It rained so hard the day we were scheduled to do a heli flight to the glacier that they cancelled our heli excursion (maybe a blessing in disguise....LOL).  Nights on the ship were, in my opinion, warm as they had the heat going in most public lounges.

Despite the unsettling weather we had a ball and saw some pretty neat things.  The scenery is spectacular.  I enjoyed Alaska (but......I've never gone back....LOL).  I have, however, cruised Norwegian Fjords which I believe are somewhat similar to Alaska (but with no rain!)

I'm sure you will have a great adventure and I look forward to following along.  Enjoy!!

Edited by jcpc
  • Like 1

@Georgia_PeachesLove the kitty pics!!

I just returned from Alaska, so it will be nice to "revisit" with you. 

Since your time in Victoria is short, take a walk off the ship towards Fisherman's Wharf (it's well marked).  From there you can decide if you want to go on to the Harbour and at least see the Empress and it's grounds. It's all an easy walk. 

Alaska is beautiful,  so half the experience is being out when you're sailing. Hopefully,  the wildlife will be active and your days more sunny than not! (Pack sun screen! Many on my last cruise got sunburns when the sun came out.)

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jcpc said:

I have, however, cruised Norwegian Fjords which I believe are somewhat similar to Alaska (but with no rain!)

Sounds spectacular!  I would like to put this cruise on my 2026 list.

• Like 1

I've been on 4 Alaska cruises, all wonderful.  Never once did I take my Land's End puffer.  The first one, in September, I took far too many sweaters.  Never wore most of them.  I think we had one day with a moderate amount of rain.  The other 3 cruises were in the spring--still snow on the mountaintops and the waterfalls were running.  On one of them, it was so hot in Juneau, we wished we had shorts!  Very little rain on those cruises either.  The big rains seem to happen in the summer.  I've had friends who went in July and August and it rained the entire time.  If you can fit it in, a floatplane trip with Island Wings in Ketchikan was the best excursion ever.  Michelle, the pilot and owner, is awesome.  https://www.islandwings.com/

I'll bet you have a wonderful time!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, janabellev2.0 said:

(Pack sun screen! Many on my last cruise got sunburns when the sun came out.)

Ohhh, thank you for this reminder!  It's in the bag...along with everything else and the kitchen sink 😁.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, I guess this will have to be our plan B.  I don't think we'll stray too far, though.

link to walking tours  Victoria.. some are self guided and free!

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-att-us-rvc3&source=android-browser&q=victoria+canada+port+walking+tour

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 2

Really looking forward to your posts. I love warm, dry weather and had never cruised to cold, wet places before. We’ve now been there 3 times within the past 5 years.  Love Alaska. I can honestly say it’s my favorite cruise destination and I hope you love it too.

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Never once did I take my Land's End puffer. 

Awe, dang it!  I'm too proud of my bargain not to find an opportunity to wear it!  Glad to know you've had pretty decent weather otherwise.  I'm expecting a bit of rain but I'll survive!  Temps look to be in the low 50's most of the time with morning lows in the high 40's.  I can live with this for sure!

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

...... The big rains seem to happen in the summer.  I've had friends who went in July and August and it rained the entire time.  .....

While our weather patterns are becoming odd, as are the weather patterns in so many places, in southeast Alaska May is historically the driest month.  September and October are historically the rainiest.  I've attended a number of Museums Alaska/Alaska Historical Society annual meetings (the two groups meet consecutively as so many folks attend both) throughout the years.  Alaska Day, which is a state holiday, is on October 18, and the meetings are always held the week in which Alaska Day falls.  The location for the next years meeting is announced at the end of the conferences.  Each time when the meeting for the next year is announced there is a collective sigh in the room if the location is in SE Alaska.  But folks also need to remember that SE Alaska is located in a rainforest, so be prepared for rain any time.

And I hope @Georgia_Peaches enjoys our state.  It is a quirky state and we are never bored living here.

• Like 1