Tranquility gone in Beyond Solarium

Hey Sailors I’m currently on the 6 night W Carribean June 26th sailing. Feeling a bit frustrated about the situation with Solarium. It’s now a party drinking loud talking zone.  What’s going on Celebrity?  

• Like 1

When we were on the Beyond for 2 cruises in Feb we never had a chance to use the Solarium.  The chair hogs had all of the chairs and loungers.   

We spent most of the time in other areas and a lot in our cabin using the IV.   

Happy cruising cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MissyDot said:

Hey Sailors I’m currently on the 6 night W Carribean June 26th sailing. Feeling a bit frustrated about the situation with Solarium. It’s now a party drinking loud talking zone.  What’s going on Celebrity?  

The June 26 th sailing?  Today is May 29. Maybe you are in a bad dream 😉 

• Haha 10

We’re on this sailing, but I’ve only been in the solarium today at lunch and it was okay (port day).  I would go to guest services and ask to fill out a comment card or speak to the hotel director, but I’m not sure they can do much about the level at which people are speaking, unfortunately.  But they won’t know about it unless it’s brought to their attention.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @hiccups  Talk to someone in Guest Services or even the Captain's Club hostess and pass along your concerns. No point in waiting until after the cruise is over to give them a chance to make things right. 

BTW - we have been on cruises where people sit at the tables and play cards but I've never seen drinking games. 

• Thanks 1

We have never seen drinking parties in any Solarium . Guess it depends on the ship , dates and clientele on board.

In general,  the Solarium space has changed over the years. It started out as a very tranquil  area with spa music..pan flutes, etc. ,  perfect water temp , and no one snoring the day away on the loungers. No loud conversation and NO children.

Gone are those days.  Card players hog the spa  cafe tables, there's snoring galore and a much louder vibe.

Best strategy is to enjoy it early in the morning or at night..unless the  ship has a party going on.

On Ascent for our Jan. cruises,  it  became crowded early.....due to overflow from the loud and shouty outdoor pool area.  Not the santuary we hoped for! But we managed to go early and leave when the noise level  increased!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I wasn't looking in the correct place, but I never saw where the Solarium was supposed to be quiet. Just kid-free (unless you're on a sailing where they have kid hours).

I'm not a pool person - especially the humidity of an indoor one - so it's not a space I frequent, but I've only seen it described as an indoor adult-only area.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Maybe I wasn't looking in the correct place, but I never saw where the Solarium was supposed to be quiet. Just kid-free (unless you're on a sailing where they have kid hours).

Exactly..I'm not sure why some people expect silence wherever they go...

• Like 6

11 hours ago, MissyDot said:

What’s going on Celebrity?  

People without the slightest trace of common sense or respect but with a giant feeling of entitlement - that’s what’s happening to Celebrity 🤷🏻

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

People without the slightest trace of common sense or respect but with a giant feeling of entitlement - that’s what’s happening to Celebrity 🤷🏻

Does this equally apply to those who want it quiet? Do they have a giant feeling of entitlement? Is it posted anywhere that one can't drink or make noise while in the Solarium? Maybe those who are snoring louder than a freight train need to practice common sense and nap in their stateroom.  

Patty 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Ok this why I rarely post on these forums because of the obnoxious troll always finding me 😞  thx to all others giving perspective .   I’m a long time celebrity sailer. The solarium has always been marketed as an adult only relaxation space part of the spa .  For this May cruise there’s been quite a difference FOR ME . Heavy drinking , drunk behaviors, it’s not pleasant Just wanted to ask if others see or feel the same.  Maybe this specific cruise has the big parties IDK

Edited by MissyDot
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MissyDot said:

Ok this why I rarely post on these forums because of the obnoxious trolls.   I’m a long time celebrity sailer. The solarium has always been marketed as an adult only relaxation space part of the spa .  For this May cruise there’s been quite a difference FOR ME . Heavy drinking , drunk behaviors, it’s not pleasant Just wanted to ask if others see or feel the same.  Maybe this specific cruise has the big parties IDK

As a long time sailor, you most likely know that the time of year, the ship and the length of cruise are all factors to the over all onboard vibe. 

I've never had an issue with people having a good time while on vacation, as long as they're not hurting anyone. I've personally cruised Celebrity 4 times in the past year and haven't noticed what you're describing. 

No one is trolling or being obnoxious, just responding. 

Patty

• Like 4

Obnoxious trolls is a bit harsh. Everyone has their own version as to what their vacation should be. I am also a frequent Celebrity cruiser and honestly have never seen drunk behaviors in the solarium, but people with hearing disabilities tend to talk louder, lots' of snoring, people just walking through chatting, playing cards, or using electronic devices without headphones

All seem to be the norm......and have been for some time.The only quiet place you can most  likely count on is your cabin

cheers

• Like 2

I am on Eclipse and I must say the Solarium has been my absolute favorite spot. Especially when it seems like everyone is off the ship and it's just me and about 15 other people in here🙂

• Like 4

Hmm, assuming you meant May 26...Short sailing,  over a holiday weekend. 

Not sure I would expect anything less than partiers, Celebrity, Carnival or any other mainstream line. 

Long weekenders are typically not experienced cruisers.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Does this equally apply to those who want it quiet? Do they have a giant feeling of entitlement? Is it posted anywhere that one can't drink or make noise while in the Solarium? Maybe those who are snoring louder than a freight train need to practice common sense and nap in their stateroom.  

Patty 

As mentioned… common sense! 
Quote Celebrity: The Solarium offers a perfectly serene atmosphere where you can restore both your tan and your sanity.

Definition of serenity: The meaning of SERENITY is a state of utter calm and unruffled repose or quietude.

And you think they keep the kids out so the adults are able to make noise 🤔

Btw: I think it is posted in the Solarium rules.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'm not a pool person - especially the humidity of an indoor one - so it's not a space I frequent, but I've only seen it described as an indoor adult-only area.

For perspective only  

when first introduced, the solarium area was touted as a tranquil spa like space.... It  did not have a true T pool   with mineral salts and strong therapy jets like on Mercury or Century( later removed) within the spa area, ,  but did  have more jets/ in pool sprays and nice in water places to relax on the metal bars .  Times change  but that was the initial description and reality .Now lucky if the water is even heated!

(Compare to the Royal C Solarium type spaces,   which were always a bit more active.. but were still were  kid free. )

Other spaces that might be relaxing on X  are the Relaxation Rooms,   and heated loungers in the thermal suites / Persian Gardens, if one is lucky!

We still find ways to enjoy !

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MissyDot said:

Ok this why I rarely post on these forums because of the obnoxious troll always finding me 😞  thx to all others giving perspective .   I’m a long time celebrity sailer. The solarium has always been marketed as an adult only relaxation space part of the spa .  For this May cruise there’s been quite a difference FOR ME . Heavy drinking , drunk behaviors, it’s not pleasant Just wanted to ask if others see or feel the same.  Maybe this specific cruise has the big parties IDK

Shorter cruise, more partying in my experience.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Hmm, assuming you meant May 26...Short sailing,  over a holiday weekend. 

Not sure I would expect anything less than partiers, Celebrity, Carnival or any other mainstream line. 

Long weekenders are typically not experienced cruisers.  

Exactly this^^^

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hcat said:

We have never seen drinking parties in any Solarium . Guess it depends on the ship , dates and clientele on board.

In general,  the Solarium space has changed over the years. It started out as a very tranquil  area with spa music..pan flutes, etc. ,  perfect water temp , and no one snoring the day away on the loungers. No loud conversation and NO children.

Gone are those days.  Card players hog the spa  cafe tables, there's snoring galore and a much louder vibe.

Best strategy is to enjoy it early in the morning or at night..unless the  ship has a party going on.

On Ascent for our Jan. cruises,  it  became crowded early.....due to overflow from the loud and shouty outdoor pool area.  Not the santuary we hoped for! But we managed to go early and leave when the noise level  increased!

That is my pet peeve! Have witnessed the worst of that on the Silhouette, where four elderly people hogged two tables, one where they were playing cards, another where they set up a game and their towels and one of the women shooed away every one who eyed that table with a cane. She also then yells at one of the guys with her to go and put some more towels on "their" loungers she was reserving in row 1 by the pool. 😆. People were looking all over for a table to sit and eat at, but they were not moving or letting anyone sit for a bit t eat, and then vacate their reserved table after eating. Lot of people got yelled at. Till one brave couple said they will sit to finish their lunch and then leave. Lady calls over a crew member passing by to complain that the couple sat on her reserved table. Crew member explains about no reserving  and gets yelled at too, but he was firm and rearranged their towels, books and game board to let the couple sit. The foursome were grumbling and complaining and threatening about putting it in survey, to which other people witnessing this said they got their video and will put on social media.
This behavior from our respected elderly senior citizens!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, highway180 said:

Ya need a little noise in there to drown out all the snoring!

yes I think folks with inside rooms feel that they can sleep in solarium during the day,

I mean come on folks, go back to the room to sleep and let those who want to look at the ocean wide awake.  Just never understood why crew would allow sleeping and laying full out with shoes on too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes I think folks with inside rooms feel that they can sleep in solarium during the day,

I mean come on folks, go back to the room to sleep and let those who want to look at the ocean wide awake.  Just never understood why crew would allow sleeping and laying full out with shoes on too.

People sleeping is all over the ships. Pool deck, atriums, sky lounge, etc. 

Crew member should carry squirt guns to wake up those who are sleeping. 😆 

• Haha 15