Cruising in the new normal era

How many cruises have you taken since June 2021?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How many cruises have you taken since June 2021?

• None
    • One
    • 2 to 4
    • 5 to 9
    • 10 or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/13/2024 at 03:55 PM

Hi everyone.  Are you all ready for another survey?  Of course you are!

This is a relatively simple one about how many cruises you've completed since the great restart.  Please include the ones you're on RIGHT NOW.  If you can't see them, the survey choices are zero, one, 2-4, 5-9, and 10+.

I guess I'll go first.  I did two in '21, four in '22, four in '23, and four so far in '24.  I didn't ask, but I have two scheduled for the rest of this year and five or six scheduled so far for 2025 (one is a B2B, so however you count that).

Thanks in advance for your replies!

• Like 1

Nine, but had a cancellation this month due to personal reasons 

Two in 2021

Three in 2022

Three in 2023

One in 2024 and one more booked this year (so far)

Three booked for 2025 

• Thanks 1

Four in 2022, when cruising opened in Baltimore, three in 2023, three done/booked for this year.

When the lockdown hit, I was still working, and was locked in to a year-round academic year, with very limited vacation options. That job ended the day of the lockdown, and my question of when to retire was answered. As soon as we were able, we began cruising again, in spite of all the restrictions of masking, vax, applications and fees to Bermuda, etc.

Since then, we have given up driving, but use a local travel company which does round-trip packages to the Port of Baltimore, so we book every cruise trip of theirs except the one 5-nighter. I imagine we will continue to do this far into the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Hi everyone.  Are you all ready for another survey?  Of course you are!

This is a relatively simple one about how many cruises you've completed since the great restart.  Please include the ones you're on RIGHT NOW.  If you can't see them, the survey choices are zero, one, 2-4, 5-9, and 10+.

I guess I'll go first.  I did two in '21, four in '22, four in '23, and four so far in '24.  I didn't ask, but I have two scheduled for the rest of this year and five or six scheduled so far for 2025 (one is a B2B, so however you count that).

Thanks in advance for your replies!

So did Cruise Critic ask you to do this? Not sure the purpose.

Do you do any traveling that's not cruising? Now that could be a survey?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, clo said:

I assure you the hosts and TPTB at CC did not ask me to do it. Its purpose is merely to satisfy my curiosity.

I do some travel other than cruises. I don't discuss it much because this is a site that's mostly about cruise travel and its issues.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Donald said:

I have done 72 cruises since June 2021.

I have 12 more coming up in 2024.

Only two per month -- what a slacker.  😀

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, clo said:

It would be interesting to know what percent of active CC member's travel is cruise vs land trips.  You could start that thread!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

It would be interesting to know what percent of active CC member's travel is cruise vs land trips.  You could start that thread!  

I know after the restart we took several land trips until the protocols were done away with for cruises.  Now we are back to more cruises and less land trips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

I know after the restart we took several land trips until the protocols were done away with for cruises.  Now we are back to more cruises and less land trips.

After things opened our first was a land trip to Spain.  Of course, during the trip we tested positive COVID.  That was when travel restrictions were still in place.   It seems we were rebooking our flight almost daily until we finally got clearance.  Ultimately we added 6 days to our original trip before we could return home.  Six extra days in Madrid is a good thing, but I wouldn't recommend this as a good way to extend a trip. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Six extra days in Madrid is a good thing, but I wouldn't recommend this as a good way to extend a trip.

But better than six days - IMO! - confined to a ship cabin.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

It seems we were rebooking our flight almost daily until we finally got clearance.  Ultimately we added 6 days to our original trip before we could return home. 

This is why my mom decided not to take a cruise to the Galapagos at that time. She was afraid of being stuck in Ecuador for months until she finally tested negative (which was the rule at the time).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clo said:

But better than six days - IMO! - confined to a ship cabin.

Much much better!  At that point Spain's rule was we could go out in public with masks.  We didn't feel bad, just a little more tired than usual.  

I honestly can’t wait for us to just refer to it as the normal, normal not the NEW normal. 

I started cruising in 1984 and change is inevitable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StollyBolly said:

Wow!   You must never be home.  

It just really blows my mind. I love my home, those friends, the kids and grands, the shops, driving my car. You name it. MAYBE two a year but more likely one every year or two.