Chances of making a 10:00 AM Flight from FLL?

ibgman

We booked The Eclipse departing November 26th returning to Fort Lauderdale on December 5th, docking at 7:00 AM. Can anyone comment on what are the chances we make a flight at 10:00 AM assuming it docks on time?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you dock on time with no issues you can make a 10 am flight. Assuming youre  off no later than 8. We’ve made the 10 am many times…can get to FLL from port in about 15 minutes. Having said that, it’s always a nail biter  and every time we do it, I say never again. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

If the ship is cleared by 7, you can carry off all your luggage, grab a waiting cab, and have TSA pre check you could make it.

Last time in FLL we arrived at airport  about 8:30.  Then the line to check bags was horrendous.  Never understood what the problem was but got bags checked at 9:25.  Now security🤬 even with pre check the line took 25 minutes.  

We thought we would have time for a leisurely breakfast before our flight which was boarding at 10:30.For a 11 flight.  Breakfast was a packaged muffin

• Like 2

the issue has multiple factors. . Are you international or domestic?   The ship may dock at 7 am That does not mean passengers will be allowed off at that time!     

If you are international, time needed for clearances.  FLL states will not accept baggage later than 2 hrs before flight departure, even domestic    You might get lucky. 

There was a traffic issue on highway which slowed us down considerably. 

IMO. Forget any stress. Book another flight

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I would say “yes,” if most/all of the following occur:

1.  Ship docks on time and there are no issues with the ship clearing customs 

2.  You carry off your own luggage and are among the very first off the ship

3.  You find a cab or get an Uber right away

4.  There is no traffic

5.   There is not a long line to drop off bags at FLL or - better - you only have a carry on

6.  You have TSA pre-check

7. Security line is short

A lot of stars have to align. 

Edited by ggo85
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

We’ve flown out of Ft. Lauderdale many times after a cruise and our flights have always been between 9:15AM -10:30AM. We both have Clear TSA Precheck and never had a problem. However, we are also aware that there’s always a possibility of not making the flight. It doesn’t concern us because we are flying to Atlanta and there are many flights every day. We usually only have carry-on luggage but we have also done this with checked baggage. 

Edited by CoG72crewz
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CoG72crewz said:

It doesn’t concern us because we are flying to Atlanta and there are many flights every day. We

Our situation as well. Maybe the reason I haven’t worried about missing the flight in the past. For destinations that have limited flights, I would likely reconsider a 10 am flight. 

Are you flying domestic? Can you carry your own bags off the ship? Will you have bags to check? If so, you have status with the airline to speed check-in? Do you have TSA pre-check? 

If all of those are yes, there’s a good chance you can make it if all goes well with disembarking and you get a taxi or Uber pretty quickly.

I think the big question is whether you’ll be stressed by the possibility of missing a flight. If you’re comfortable with having to deal with that, then I’d book it. If missing the flight would stress you or cause more than inconvenience, I’d book a later flight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ibgman said:

We booked The Eclipse departing November 26th returning to Fort Lauderdale on December 5th, docking at 7:00 AM. Can anyone comment on what are the chances we make a flight at 10:00 AM assuming it docks on time?

Thanks in advance.

IF is the most important word of your question!  There are plenty of flights.  Why chance it?

• Like 1

We ALWAYS book flights out of FLL  10/10:30.

Never an issue.

Have cruised many times with X.

It involves walkofff with luggage, and a cab to airport as @Jeylane stated

Most times we are there around 8

For us flying into Boston...there are always plenty of options if there was an issue

The only time it was a bit close, was on a TA.....but we still made it.

Good luck

Cheers

• Like 2

We have made many flights between 9:30am and 10:30am.  We make sure to walk off with our luggage and we do have TSA pre check which helps.  The airport is a quick 10 minute cab ride away.  There are tons of taxis lined up and waiting at the port.  We also fly into Philly which does have many flight options.  I would go for it!  I HATE sitting around the airport waiting for a flight once my vacation is over.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ggo85 said:

A lot of stars have to align

Hardly.

The list of things you itemized happen nearly all the time or are otherwise pretty easy/straightforward to accomplish.

Thanks everyone!

Those are the answers I expected. Maybe, If, stars aligned, and yes.

The issue is we like to fly in and out of a smaller airport closer to the house and avoid LGA and JFK. The next one is 6:30 PM and we'd rather not have to kill a day waiting in the airport so I wanted to gather other people's thoughts. I'm a "need to be there two hours before" kind of person and it will probably stress me out if we go that way. Maybe will just fly back to NYC and avoid the stress.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

• Like 1

If you can move yourself with any quickness what so ever you will be fine. It's not that hard to be at FLL from Terminal 25 by 8am if not before. You can also see the huge line of people that anxiously lineup at 6am. Don't stand in line. Wait 10 minutes and you will walk off the ship without stopping. Or walk forward near the theater and they will have side doors open which bypass any line that still lingers from the 6am crowd. 

6 hours ago, Liao said:

IF is the most important word of your question!  There are plenty of flights.  Why chance it?

This is what it all comes down to. The latest a ship I’ve been on has been cleared for disembarking at Port Everglades is 8:45. For some that would make them absolutely miserable with stress.

We are in a situation like the OP where there aren’t plenty of flights. It’s usually a choice of cutting it close or sitting around most of the day and arriving home very late.

If missing the flight and having to reschedule is less inconvenient than booking the later flight or waiting a day, then it’s fine.

I think no checked bags is the key..it’s doable..I prefer 11 am or so..but I’m flying to ATL so lots of options on Delta for me.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

If you can move yourself with any quickness what so ever you will be fine. It's not that hard to be at FLL from Terminal 25 by 8am if not before. You can also see the huge line of people that anxiously lineup at 6am. Don't stand in line. Wait 10 minutes and you will walk off the ship without stopping. Or walk forward near the theater and they will have side doors open which bypass any line that still lingers from the 6am crowd. 

People line up at 6 AM? wow

3 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

This is what it all comes down to. The latest a ship I’ve been on has been cleared for disembarking at Port Everglades is 8:45. For some that would make them absolutely miserable with stress.

We are in a situation like the OP where there aren’t plenty of flights. It’s usually a choice of cutting it close or sitting around most of the day and arriving home very late.

If missing the flight and having to reschedule is less inconvenient than booking the later flight or waiting a day, then it’s fine.

I totally get what you say, for sure.  I fly to Boston so I’ve generally got a lot of flight options no matter where.  My last cruise in Dec was 2+ hours late to port due to overnight power failure returning to Miami.  I had a 3pm flight so no issues, others were scrambling though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ibgman said:

Thanks everyone!

Those are the answers I expected. Maybe, If, stars aligned, and yes.

The issue is we like to fly in and out of a smaller airport closer to the house and avoid LGA and JFK. The next one is 6:30 PM and we'd rather not have to kill a day waiting in the airport so I wanted to gather other people's thoughts. I'm a "need to be there two hours before" kind of person and it will probably stress me out if we go that way. Maybe will just fly back to NYC and avoid the stress.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

If you decide to take the later flight I would book a day room at a hotel so you aren't stuck sitting at the airport all day.  🙂 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jelayne said:

If the ship is cleared by 7, you can carry off all your luggage, grab a waiting cab, and have TSA pre check you could make it.

Last time in FLL we arrived at airport  about 8:30.  Then the line to check bags was horrendous.  Never understood what the problem was but got bags checked at 9:25.  Now security🤬 even with pre check the line took 25 minutes.  

We thought we would have time for a leisurely breakfast before our flight which was boarding at 10:30.For a 11 flight.  Breakfast was a packaged muffin

A packaged muffin. Yummy. Welcome back to reality.

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

People line up at 6 AM? wow

Technically their bags get in line then they go about their business....but don't dare try to cut in front of their bag. 

We have noticed that recently, disembarkation procedures at the port terminals is taking longer, traffic from the port to airport is heavier, and airports are just a mess. So, we schedule flights home for early afternoon. 

• Like 1