The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday June 9th, 2024

Still here, it's Good Morning, Dailyites, although I know for some it's Good Afternoon!  Interesting day, I would love the meal - I would eat rice every day.  When I was a child in Manila I had ducks (and chickens, birds, fish, a cat and a dog).  The ducks were Donald and Daisy of course, and Donald laid the eggs, so I think I misjudged there.

Jacqui, I'm sorry you are feeling that the house and garden are getting to be too much for you.  But, if you are going to make a move, it's best to do it while you still can!  "Downsizing", selling stuff, donating, packing up all the things you have to have, all get harder and harder to do.  And as long as Ivan has you, he'll be happy, with a fenced garden or not.  He's a lucky boy!  It is a big decision, though.

How unfortunate that @Cruzin Terri's holiday is turning out to be not relaxing at all!  I hope the rest of the vacation improves and there are no more problems.  

Yesterday I binge-watched Top Chef for most of the day, preparing for the finale on Eurodam on Wednesday.  

Oskar, the grandpup, was here for a visit a few days before Pat left for England.  A real sweetie (both of them!)

IMG_3473.thumb.jpeg.85c4e8a2fb1405a15d9e9a5b449a035c.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from a rather lazy Sunday in central Texas.  We added the coolant to the car a/c, switched the cars around and put the covers on two cars.  That leaves the Smart accessible for errands.  The Land Rover and Smart can be towed, and the LR is for hauling big loads.  The convertible is our fun car and the one we use when going further than town.

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Sunday Morning Daiyites!  I slept in this morning, I've been living off of roughly 4 hours of sleep per night the past two weeks, and figured, well, if the neighbor is still in that pool tournament today, I dont have to walk the dog until 11 or 12, so I said to myself at 6:45, just 15 more minutes and woke up at 8:30.  I'm even considering a nap today...hmmmm.

The cats were a bit miffed that I slept late, but the kittens were the worst.  Entering the porch armed with plates and food, they were all over my legs like a deranged acupuncturist, and I came back into the house, with bleeding toes and ankles.  All is well now, I know there is Bactine somewhere in the house.....

Years ago my first husband and I went to Jamaica, to an all inclusive called Couples.  We landed in Montego Bay, and a bus from the resort picked us up and took us to Ocho Rios were the resort was.  So no one bothered us in Montego Bay.  The resort was beautiful, everything included, every thing!  Except marijuana.  We all had to attend a meeting the first night, we were told to think of the place as camp for adults, that we could participate in as many things that we wanted, and that the employees were our camp counsellors and would solve any situation that came alone, BUT if we wanted pot, to go directly to them.  And if we got caught with marijuana outside the compound -Jail would not be as cushy as in the US.  The first night there the husband of another couple had discovered some pot in the mens' room.  He asked the counselor if he thought it was safe, the counselor  said, only one way to tell, rolled some up and the husband , and the counselor got high.  Must have been good, because I dont remember seeing him for the rest of the week, so his wife and I hung out for the week.  My ex spent his time, with a pair of binoculars checking out the naked people on the "private" island. 

One day I decided to go horseback riding up into the mountains, there were about 5 of us, and two guides.  At one point the guide went ahead of us -he said to check out traffic on an upcoming road.  Not so, when we got to said "road"  (dirt path), there was a table set up and a pot sales man.  None of us wanted to buy anything.  It was an all inclusive, why would I have my purse with me?  So the guide led us away, and we went back to the compound on a different trail.  The idea of spending anytime in a jail in Jamaica just never sat right with me.

But it is a beautiful island, and there are places I would still like to visit there. 

@Cruzin Terri I hope today is better for you, I've always wanted to go to Barbados.  There is a young FIA race driver from Barbados, his helmet says Boy from Barbados.  I wondered where he got to race on the island. 

@kazuI completely understand moving into a "senior" living community.  Especially one that would allow my pet. But when I am the non furred mother to so many how would I narrow it down to just one.  But I know that taking care of this house and yard is way too much for me.

My parents lived in a community like that.  One of mom's friends had a black cat.  Thing was, if and when the pet moved on, you could not replace the pet.  Well the cat crossed over the rainbow bridge, and she went to the pound and got another black cat.  How could they tell it wasn't the original cat.  My mom said her friend ended up having 3 cats in the time that she lived there.  No one but her friends knew the cat was being replaced.

5cd58a584184eef13a30eaee31997b96.jpg

a-funny-kitten-on-bubble-wrap.jpg

62c5dad43b2fbbf6b59f467e547d9afa.jpg

If my tale of Jamaica is a repeat of information, just disregard.

Annie, I agree Jamaica is beautiful island.  We were back there in the late 1990s docking in Ocho Rios, and it had changed.  In 1975, when we rented a car, we drove from Falmouth to Ocho Rios with stops at Dunn River Falls and Martha Brae, but just to look.  Another day, we drove around the area near Montego Bay, and the last day, we drove to Negril which is known for it's black sand beaches.  The other days, we enjoyed the all inclusive and just relaxing.  Many in our group complained about the poverty, but after seeing the poverty in Mexico, Jamaica with all the vegetation and crops, didn't seem as bad.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We're having a cloudy day, mid 70's but no rain so it's all good.

Three good days to celebrate, I'll pass on the drink and wine but would like the meal.  Never been to Jamaica.

Another day of gardening and cruise planning, lazy days of summer!  

The other day we talked about large glacial erratics and I told about the one across the street that measures 34 feet tall, 78 feet long, and 210 feet circumference.  I also told about the problems we in the neighborhood have had with vandalism and people climbing it (even though there are signs saying private property).  The latest is a spray-painted racist symbol 😢.  Needless to say, my neighbors and I are just sick about it.  The HOA will get rid of the graffiti, but it will just continue, and people will still come from far away just to climb it. GRR

DH's suggestion is to put an electric fence around it. 😉  

Jacqui @kazu  Thinking of you as you make difficult decisions and prayers that something can be done about your pain.

Terri @Cruzin Terri Enjoy that book on the beach today -- I hope every day will get better and better!

Carolyn, spray painting a racist symbol on the erratic is horrible.  Sadly a fence around the erratic might be the only solution to stop the climbing and defacing.

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

ScreenShot2024-06-09at08_10_19.png.1ab4c82af8b765f6381c9e338b1dfb05.png

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I always loved DD (more than Mickey).  Two other good days to recognize and I giggled when I read the quote.  The meal sounds good and I do love a Shiraz.  No to the drink (nothing should be in coffee - sugar, cream or alcohol!!).  Never been to Montego Bay, only Falmouth.  I did Dunn's Falls and glad I did but don't think I will ever pine away to go back to Jamaica.  It was just too....... 😬

ScreenShot2024-06-09at07_41_07.thumb.png.d86599836e75d68e46cfc068c55955d6.png

Achieved my goal of getting a new tire but, unfortunately, the rim is bent and they recommended I replace it.  I can still drive the car but they stated when I rotate my tires and this tire goes the front, the steering would be wobbly.  So a replacement had to be ordered and will come in early this week.  My bank account is severely lighter!!  I had thought the certificate would be in the mail but it wasn't so I went to Olive Garden and ate the only thing there that I like - soup, salad, and breadsticks.  The breadsticks were old (probably from the night before) but the minestrone and salad were delicious.  I did tell the waiter the breadsticks were old and he offered to bring me new ones but I had already finished my meal so I politely said, no, it is no problem; thank you.  I hate complaining about food.

IMG_7889.JPG.28824b96d75aafee9900815703452732.JPG

Woke up to another excessive heat warning for Tuesday.  I guess people need to be reminded but this is the desert - it gets blazing hot here!!  And today it should just break 100F so a beautiful day!

IMG_7890.thumb.JPG.2103c7a5d9678a1d14b61b852d660073.JPG

I just realized when I read the title for the daily that today would have been my 51st wedding anniversary (to the first husband).  Thank goodness it only lasted 5 years.

IMG_7891.thumb.JPG.16a8613103ffb39467bb2bb8287c6a3a.JPG

@Cruzin Terri I am glad you have tv and phone and that maybe you can sit on the beach, read a book and then enjoy the lunch.

Bon Voyage to @Mtn2Sea and @cruzn single.

Gosh, I hate to see the end of @aliaschief's cruise but welcome home. Safe travels to you and @luvteaching.

@kazu I am sorry you have some big decisions to make but I think getting prepared for it way before it becomes imperative is so important.

IMG_7892.thumb.JPG.fb86188a49957882910080e0094e37f0.JPG

I hope everyone's legs are getting better and cheers to those celebrating.  Keep the pictures of your beautiful foliage coming!!  Everyone have a great day. 

Pennie, I'm sorry you also had to get a new wheel.  We've replaced two on the convertible, and they are not cheap.  However, we did find two online places that had refurbished wheels at a fraction of the price.  Our neighborhood station owner mounted the new tires on the new wheels.

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Sunday. Yesterday wasn’t as oppressively hot as Friday was and I think today will be even better at about 101. 

Good days to celebrate and I love shrimp and rice, especially fried rice. But today I think I’m making sausage and peppers. I have leftover sausage from making pizza and need to use it up. I’ll pass on the drink. I’ve only had Irish coffee once and didn’t like it. 

I haven’t been to Montego Bay, only Ocho Rios. And would prefer to never go again. Annie @marshhawk, it sounds like you enjoyed your all inclusive there and I don’t ever remember you mentioning it before. 

Terri @Cruzin Terri, enjoy the beach and your book!  You deserve a relaxing day. You’ll have to tell us how the buffet lunch was. 

Jacqui @kazu, I think it’s good to know your options for the future. My DM loves her place and is more active than ever.  Hugs to you as you contemplate. 

Like Debbie @dfish
said yesterday, we decided to arrive in Boston a day early so we can have a full day there. After last years fiasco in April trying to get to Fort Lauderdale because of their flooding and the recent flight delays I had in Dallas I feel much better with an extra day as a buffer.  I also changed my flight to go through Phoenix instead of Dallas. I’m getting excited!

Bon Voyage @Mtn2Sea and @cruzn single!!

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, going through Phoenix instead of Dallas might not be a bad idea.  Ever since the 1985 plane crash at DFW, the airport has been super careful about shutting down during really bad thunderstorms.  For us, DFW is really the only big airport around.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Sunny and dry but maybe a wee bit cooler today. The dawn chorus woke me early and I got up and opened up the house so right now it is very comfortable. I think I am going to have to look at getting a cooling system installed .... actually one of neighbors who really knows about such is looking into one  for his condo right now and will pass on info to me. Something more to think about. It would help the resale on my condo if and when I have to (or decide to) move.

@kazuI too have been looking at what moving to a senior living entails if you have a pet. In my case with 2 dogs, in all probability it means I would have to rehome one of the dogs .... something I don't want to consider but it might come to that. I will celebrate (?) my 87th birthday coming up shortly and I am not sure how long I can continue to go up and down the stairs to my second floor unit several times a day to walk the dogs.  However, my Mother lived on her own until about 97 and my sister at 95 has a house although it is in an 55 plus community and both had single floor living in their last years.  Ah.... decisions. Meanwhile, I plod along.... to to get something out of the house each day, get some help from neighbors at times and wear my Medical Guardian. And I walk the dogs although those walks are getting a bit shorter. Ah the joys of growing old and beginning to fall apart. And the dog walking at the Humane Society has, for the most part, stopped.

Have not been to today's destination and it is not on my list of places to visit. I love Irish coffee in the cooler weather. Garlic anything usually makes me happy.

Take care all. Terri... I hope you have a good day and get to sit on the beach and read.

Susan

Susan, I hope you won't have to make the decision to move any time soon.  Could you sell your condo and buy a ground floor unit to help ease some of the problems?

51 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks Lenda.  I would never leave Ivan in the lurch.  And, honestly who would want a 20 year old dog that requires a $250 injection every month?  

He’s at his forever home and we are in this together.  There is no question that he would be very welcome there which is a huge relief.

Jacqui, I never thought you'd move anywhere that Ivan was unwelcome.  You are now a family and need each other.  You will know when the time is right for such a move, which I hope is a long way in the future.  I'm lucky I can still do most of the work around here, and that we have a neighbor who can and will help as needed.

17 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon,

I have been reading but have not posted lately. I don’t know where the time goes each day.  Jacqui, I know how you feel. After DH died I realized just how much he did around the house. I struggled to find what I wanted but decided on a single home in a maintenance provided community. I wasn’t ready for shared walls. I am happy I moved but it was a project. We had a huge basement so it did not seem like we had a lot until I went through it. Don’t even get me started on the garage. He was very organized but being a car guy he had a lot of tools etc.  You don’t need to rush and you can hire people to help around the house and yard until you find what you want. 

Everyone have a great day. 

Lorraine, DH is an engineer who likes to work on cars, even though now, much of it has to be done by others.  He has quite a collection of tools, parts, and who knows what else.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, spray painting a racist symbol on the erratic is horrible.  Sadly a fence around the erratic might be the only solution to stop the climbing and defacing.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along That is just awful about the spray painted racist symbol on the erratic. 

Lenda and Vanessa I couldn't agree more.  We're original owners of the house so have lived here 30 years as of this summer.  We've complained many times to HOA, they put up signs (but really, nobody pays any attention to them).  More needs to be done.  This latest is the worst yet.  A fence would be very expensive, especially because of the size of the rock but also because probably 3/4 of it is in the woods.  

Last year some teens were caught spray painting the back of the rock (the woods-side).  Nothing obscene like this, but my neighbor was so upset she called the police.  The mother of 2 of the teens actually defended her boys and said they're "good kids" and what's the big deal??  No wonder we have problems.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

I enjoyed going down to Ghiardelli Square in San Francisco for one after meetings for work

McCormick & Kuleto's, by chance?

Did you live/work in San Francisco?

In my working days I made semi-regular trips to San Francisco and would often stay at the Fisherman's Wharf Holiday Inn.  I loved that there were so many dining options at all kinds of price points and were an easy walk from the hotel.  I could always impress out-of-state associates by suggesting McCormick & Kuleto's at Ghiradelli Square.  In-state associates always were up for the Buena Vista for Irish Coffees--not really my thing, but I am a team player.

I could always get lots of husband points by visiting the Ghiradelli store and brining home one of those giant peanut butter cups.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Sharon in AZ, Sharon, after the dreadful cottage cheese looking lobster, I made sure to always ask for broiled. And I'm so happy you @dfish and Sue will join in Boston. (Great lobster!) 😉

Yes Joy, that cottage cheese lobster looked icky, sorry. Did you send it back?  I always order the broiled, I think it has more flavor. Best ever was in the Pinnacle Grill October 2022 during our Canada to Florida repositioning cruise. We had a huge Daily group that Rich set up. 

8DDFD406-8C53-4351-A307-41D246F12FB2.thumb.jpeg.3f3b777d0f3eb1c16ac284d686347018.jpeg

It was huge!  And so yummy!!  And I couldn’t eat it all so I offered Carolyn @Cruising-along some and she loved it too. 

I am looking forward to some really good lobster in August!  We have 2 dinners in the Pinnacle Grill and I might just have the supplement lobster. And I seem to remember that you said the small ones in the MDR are not as good. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from mu 2016 cruise on Anthem of the Seas.  June 9 was a sea day from Royal's private destination of Labadee, Haiti back to Bayonne:

dawn0609.jpg

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

McCormick & Kuleto's, by chance?

Did you live/work in San Francisco?

In my working days I made semi-regular trips to San Francisco and would often stay at the Fisherman's Wharf Holiday Inn.  I loved that there were so many dining options at all kinds of price points and were an easy walk from the hotel.  I could always impress out-of-state associates by suggesting McCormick & Kuleto's at Ghiradelli Square.  In-state associates always were up for the Buena Vista for Irish Coffees--not really my thing, but I am a team player.

I could always get lots of husband points by visiting the Ghiradelli store and brining home one of those giant peanut butter cups.

I worked in management and marketing for big pharma and it was a favorite city for product launch meetings and also medical conventions.   The Buena Vista was at the bottom of the trolley car line I recall so that was the place.  As being the foodie I got our team into McCormick's and Kuletos early after their opening.   Now the closest I can get to that is Kuleto wines sold at a decent price at my local wine store.  Happy memories.   Then we used Oakland as Napa gateway and finally it moved to Sacramento.  I haven't been back to Northern CA since 2013. 😿

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon Dailyites!

I'm home and settling back into my routines. I had a good cruise on Majestic Princess but confirmed that HAL is #1 in my books. Nothing I can put my finger on but mainly just size. There were close to 4000 people on this cruise and you really noticed it at times especially today! It was nice to have more time in Ketchikan even if it was windy and raining. Juneau was overcast and windy. It was so windy... the tram didn't run. In Skagway we finally had some blue skies along with a good breeze. Coming back along the west coast of Vancouver Island yesterday it was so warm I was on the balcony getting a bit of a tan. I got off the ship today at 9:00, was in my car at 9:35 and home at 11:05. The first load of laundry just finished in the washer and I have at least one more load today and another tomorrow. I've done about 1/2 the unpacking, the neighbor lady has been in for tea, and my son mowed the lawn before I got home. All is good. After all that good food (and it was very good - especially Rudi's The Catch) I'll do a hamburger tonight and be back to normal!

One month today my friend and I board the Westerdam as it gets back from the 28 day voyage. I think I'd like to do that one so will follow the two threads on here very closely. 

Karen

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Lenda and Vanessa I couldn't agree more.  We're original owners of the house so have lived here 30 years as of this summer.  We've complained many times to HOA, they put up signs (but really, nobody pays any attention to them).  More needs to be done.  This latest is the worst yet.  A fence would be very expensive, especially because of the size of the rock but also because probably 3/4 of it is in the woods.  

Last year some teens were caught spray painting the back of the rock (the woods-side).  Nothing obscene like this, but my neighbor was so upset she called the police.  The mother of 2 of the teens actually defended her boys and said they're "good kids" and what's the big deal??  No wonder we have problems.  

Carolyn, I don't understand parents holding their children accountable.  We were held accountable for our actions and were the DDs.

28 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Well we have made it to Atlanta without any issues. Just a long day. Hopefully home by eight which will be early morning for us.

Bruce, I'm glad you made it to Atlanta safely.  Safe flight home.

9 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good afternoon Dailyites!

I'm home and settling back into my routines. I had a good cruise on Majestic Princess but confirmed that HAL is #1 in my books. Nothing I can put my finger on but mainly just size. There were close to 4000 people on this cruise and you really noticed it at times especially today! It was nice to have more time in Ketchikan even if it was windy and raining. Juneau was overcast and windy. It was so windy... the tram didn't run. In Skagway we finally had some blue skies along with a good breeze. Coming back along the west coast of Vancouver Island yesterday it was so warm I was on the balcony getting a bit of a tan. I got off the ship today at 9:00, was in my car at 9:35 and home at 11:05. The first load of laundry just finished in the washer and I have at least one more load today and another tomorrow. I've done about 1/2 the unpacking, the neighbor lady has been in for tea, and my son mowed the lawn before I got home. All is good. After all that good food (and it was very good - especially Rudi's The Catch) I'll do a hamburger tonight and be back to normal!

One month today my friend and I board the Westerdam as it gets back from the 28 day voyage. I think I'd like to do that one so will follow the two threads on here very closely. 

Karen

Karen, welcome home.  I understand the feeling about Princess vs HAL.  I think it boils down in part the the crew.  On our last Princess cruise, the crew rarely smiled or said hello when you met them in the hall.  I wonder if Rudi's The Catch has basically the same menu as the one on HAL.

Lenda

• Like 15

24 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Cruising-along I’m sorry you are having such difficulties with that erratic.  Is there something the state could do,   Making  it a park with proper fencing?  Or would that just cause more issues? 

Thank you Brenda. I only wish the state controlled that lot, but it’s owned by our HOA and is part of our development. 

https://nwgeology.wordpress.com/the-fieldtrips/glacial-erratic-field-trips/the-lake-stevens-monster-largest-erratic-in-washington-largest-in-the-us/

This article mentions the erratic near you too. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Good Evening Everyone,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  We got home around 1 this afternoon and we went out gor dinner.   It was nice to have two nights without an alarm clock asking for breakfast at 3 am.

It was mostly a good visit and watching Liam play was nice.  If we do it again the parents will need to be more forthcoming with the timing of events.

20240608_143205.thumb.jpg.6b089c0e6606ca95455c9ef9f19cbfee.jpg

• Like 20

11 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

A warm 80 this AM heading up to 91. We need some rain as we are now in rainy season, it spritzed yesterday for about 3 minutes.

Good selections of days.

Funny quote.

I would try the meal.

We’ve been to Montego Bay quite a few times and in 1990 we even flew down there and sailed with the defunct Regency Cruise Lines on the Regent Star which was originally HAL’s Statendam, she was built in the mid 1950’s and was a fine vessel built as an ocean liner with a deep draft but Regency wasn’t well financed and was only around a few years. We did have a great itinerary sailing to Ocho Rios where we climbed Dunn’s River Falls, Cartagena, the Panama Canal and Grand Cayman.
With Air we only paid 700 dollars each for an outside cabin, no verandas in those days.

Have a great day and stay well.

IMG_1920.jpeg

What a great deal!  Wouldn't it be fun to go back in time and do it again?

Was she in good shape in 1990?  We did the Regent Rainbow out of Tampa about the same time.

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

What a great deal!  Wouldn't it be fun to go back in time and do it again?

Was she in good shape in 1990?  We did the Regent Rainbow out of Tampa about the same time.

For a ship that was around 35 years old she was in good shape.

• Like 9

@Quartzsite Cruiser The crew was great and smiling and helpful. I have a limp due to the stuck hip flexor muscle (which I'm working on) and I had more crew offer to carry my plate in the Lido, etc or escort me from my dining table. I think it was the sheer size that puts it #2. I don't want to cruise with 3700+ other people. You really noticed it today at disembarkation. It was well-orchestrated but it was still a sea of people. 
Karen

• Like 12