How often do you eat lobster at home?

8 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Yep.

Good. I've known plenty of people who won't try something.  The rat we had in Thailand was overcooked and tough and flavorless. 

• Like 1

Just now, clo said:

Good. I've known plenty of people who won't try something.  The rat we had in Thailand was overcooked and tough and flavorless. 

Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be; have you had rat elsewhere that was different?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be; have you had rat elsewhere that was different?

I don't thinks that's how it's supposed to be. The rats get into the farmers rice fields and eat the rice. So the farmer kills them and grills them on the side of the road and sells. Our guide bought some but then had our hotel them some more. I would try them again 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, clo said:

I agree.  I've tried (and won't have it again) Beef tongue while in Japan. Yuck.

On the other hand I loved sweet & sour water buffalo on one of our China trips.  Just yummy.

Back on subject:  My parents loved lobster, and when they decided to let us kids give it a try, my siblings all went for it, but not me.  I've since tried it again, and still didn't care for it.

Edited by Shmoo here

11 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I agree.  I've tried (and won't have it again) Beef tongue while in Japan. Yuck.

I had pig intestine that was properly 'cleaned' and loved it. Had it a second time and it was "funky" as they say. Yuck.

When my husband used to travel A LOT one time on a special occasion and he was gone I grilled a lobster tail and a piece of beef filet mignon. Tough life.

I eat lobster maybe once a year.  I usually have it as an ingredient in something else rather than by itself.  

I tried beef tongue when I was a teenager and haven't had it since.  Too tough and chewy so I didn't like it.   I do like beef liver, though.

Poor man's lobster is known as Monk Fish.  Thought taste like lobster it is still not cheap.  I love broil lobster tails and still remember going to an all you can eat lobster tail buffet new years eve 45+ years ago in Buffalo, NY.  So good!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, clo said:

I don't thinks that's how it's supposed to be. The rats get into the farmers rice fields and eat the rice. So the farmer kills them and grills them on the side of the road and sells. Our guide bought some but then had our hotel them some more. I would try them again 🙂

What kind of wine would you serve with rat ? 😁😁😁

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Either a nice Ripple or perhaps some MD 20/20.

With 100 degree temps and high 90s humidity, they were pouring beer over ice. Sounds like a good pairing.

4 hours ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

We have lobster about 3 times a year at home. Fresh Time will have it on sale every other month.

What is Fresh Time? I saw a place Fresh THYME.

7 hours ago, George C said:

What kind of wine would you serve with rat ? 😁😁😁

Chinese Baby Mice Wine!  I kid you not....look it up 🙂

Hank

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 7:15 PM, Shmoo here said:

I've tried (and won't have it again) Beef tongue while in Japan. Yuck.

I didn't like it in Japan either but properly prepared beef tongue can be very good. In Japan it is grilled but beef tongue needs to be braised or otherwise slow cooked. When we have the smoker going a couple of seasoned beef tongues are put in with the other meat and used to make tacos de lengua. 

19 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I didn't like it in Japan either but properly prepared beef tongue can be very good. In Japan it is grilled but beef tongue needs to be braised or otherwise slow cooked. When we have the smoker going a couple of seasoned beef tongues are put in with the other meat and used to make tacos de lengua. 

The best tongue can be found at Katz's (in NYC) or some other NYC delis.  The deli version is usually served, sliced, on decent rye.  Tis a great deli meat, especially with some decent mustard.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The best tongue can be found at Katz's (in NYC) or some other NYC delis.  The deli version is usually served, sliced, on decent rye.  Tis a great deli meat, especially with some decent mustard.

Hank

Ages ago I used to get that at a deli in the Financial District in San Francisco. Loved it.

I cook lobster at home several times a year.  I was not fortunate enough to inherit our grandmother's giant steamed clam/lobster pot (complete with spigot on the side to get out non-sandy clam juice), but I'm not cooking a dozen lobsters at a time.  I grew up in a coastal town with a working lobstering fleet on the South Shore in Massachusetts, and lobster was the standard post-church Sunday afternoon dinner for the grownups.  We kids got a giant stainless steel bowl of the little legs and would eat them on the dock and then catch minnows.  

My husband grew up in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, and is a living testament to the old Maine joke (to be delivered in a kid's whine):  "Oh, Moooooom!  Not lobster agaaaaaaaain!  Can't we have chicken?"  He only eats lobster a few times a year out of politeness when someone else serves it--the only part he truly likes is the knuckle.  I make sure to sit next to him on such occasions!

I like my seafood very plain, and lobster is one of the easiest to cook:  "boil" them (steam, really) upside down in about 3 inches of water for about 10-15 minutes depending on the size (I like about a 2 pounder--chix are too small, much bigger has claws too big for me to crack easily.   A bit of drawn butter--some put ginger in it; salad on the side; dinner is done.

I gather all the shells and any tamale or roe than finicky people didn't eat into a big plastic bag and store it in the fridge; the next day I make lobster stock--could turn into bisque or the base of a corn chowder.  

I also think boiled lobster is pretty easy to eat, too, and I love all the different textures and flavors of the different body parts.  It's certainly easier (I think) than crab!  I lived in Annapolis for a while, and love crab, but I definitely can only eat that outside at a plastic-covered picnic table as my mallet spews shell and cartilage everywhere!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Tattycoram said:

I like about a 2 pounder-

I had to chuckle. Here on the West Coast I like Dungeness crabs 2#+.

• Like 1

Yesterday I picked up 4 live ‘n kicking lobsters at a local supermarket. $6.99 per pound!  They were about 1.5 pounds each, hard shell and solid meat. Easy enough to steam when I got home. DH likes his with melted butter while I have mine plain. 
Living in and growing up MA, fresh seafood 🦞 was served at least twice each week. Not only did we have a milk man and a bread man, we had a Scandinavian fish man who went into the Boston fish pier on Thursday mornings to  select fresh haddock, cod and occasional sword fish. Occasionally he would pick up a few crabs 🦀 that I loved. 

Darcy 

• Like 2