Windjammer Etiquette

Question – When in the Windjammer, there is sometimes a long line at a particular station.  Would it be considered cutting in when you don’t want any of the items that the line is forming for, but want something that is in front of the first person instead and you go ahead and get it therefore skipping the line? 

Also, I purchased The Key for my upcoming cruise.  When will I receive boarding details?  I’m assuming (and you know what ‘that’ means! 😊) that when checking in I don’t need to choose a time?  This will be my first time using The Key.

Thanks for your input.....

14 minutes ago, Bahbey said:

I’m assuming (and you know what ‘that’ means! 😊) that when checking in I don’t need to choose a time? 

You should still pick a time - the check in may not finalize without it. At the port you will likely not need to worry about the check in time as most ports have a separate line for Key.

Posted (edited)

Whenever there are people waiting for something further down the line and we only want something at that point, we just excuse ourselves and wait for them to open a space.  Simple courtesy and most times the response is favorable. If not we just wait.  Otherwise we just kick them in the shins and grab....LOL.  (Just kidding - really!)

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

You’re going to get lots of opinions on your WJ question.  I wait UNLESS there is a big break in the line, then I will jump in.  I never reach around or directly in front of someone else. I don’t do this while waiting in line for an omelet or pasta station though. That is a defined line. But often at the salad bar someone is getting lettuce and all I want is at the other end. If no one is in between I’m not waiting nor do I consider this cutting in line.

I’m much less concerned about someone cutting in line then I am someone eating or licking their fingers in line.  We see this every cruise!  It grosses us out to the point we have trouble eating in there.

• Like 4

Depends if there is a gap in front of the person you are waiting on - otherwise, you're what? ... pushing in between two other people in front of them?

It's all about minding the gaps. 

• Like 2

If there's a big gap from one station to the next, I'm going to that next station directly.  

Some days when it's busy that's how I plan my lunch. What stations are empty?  That's where I'm going.

I'm not waiting in a 30 person line with someone taking their good ole time assembling a burger when there's no one at the chicken finger station 10 feet away.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If there's a big gap from one station to the next, I'm going to that next station directly.  

Some days when it's busy that's how I plan my lunch. What stations are empty?  That's where I'm going.

I'm not waiting in a 30 person line with someone taking their good ole time assembling a burger when there's no one at the chicken finger station 10 feet away.

Just be first one in the doors when they open, I always am

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have no problem somebody grabbing one item really fast from a well stocked food tray. HOWEVER, if it is the last serving in the food tray, I do mind if that is one of the items I am waiting in line for. Sometimes a replacement tray might not arrive for a few minutes. I have seen people cut into the line and take everything (more then one person could possibly eat) from a food tray. 

Totally depends on where you are and who is the cruise clientele.

In Europe not uk everyone cuts in. 

In Uk we are a little sheepish we Queue and if you cut in you will be corrected, politely but sometimes some harsh language will also be mentioned. 

In the US from my experience its been a bit of both but on the whole most actually queue as well. Maybe i got lucky not sure. 

Usually an issue with the salads.  It is a PIA for that one person who has to pick and search for the perfect Romaine leaf.

I usually get the lettuce then head for the premade salads, olives, cheeses and meats and do my own salad.  Then go to end of line for vinegar.  I always ask if ok and never have an issue.

I have let people in to get a piece of bread or butter or whatever.  It is fine.  Usually people ask.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

You’re going to get lots of opinions on your WJ question.  I wait UNLESS there is a big break in the line, then I will jump in.  I never reach around or directly in front of someone else. I don’t do this while waiting in line for an omelet or pasta station though. That is a defined line. But often at the salad bar someone is getting lettuce and all I want is at the other end. If no one is in between I’m not waiting nor do I consider this cutting in line.

I’m much less concerned about someone cutting in line then I am someone eating or licking their fingers in line.  We see this every cruise!  It grosses us out to the point we have trouble eating in there.

Agree.  I do alot of hand washing and or use sanitizer before and after I get my food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We do all our meals in the Windjammer, MDR just takes to long. If a line is stalled, we just head to a new station. Pizza line busy, grab a burger instead etc. We also go odd hours. As early risers few are in the windjammer when we enter, as well as early dinner,often before 5

You read my mind on etiquette in the Windjammer. The last cruise we were on Liberty of the Seas a lot of rude people. I don't know if that was because it was only a 5 day cruise or it has just got that much worse. To be fair a lot of nice people too.

I will go ahead of the line if the food item holding up the line is not something I want.  BUT, there has to be no one at the food item I do want.

I have slowly toughened up about people cutting in front of me, etc. It used to bother me, because I am a very polite person. But, I usually just stay calm and never starve.

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I do it if it feels right and it's obvious I'm not negatively impacting those in line.

2 hours ago, pcur said:

BUT, there has to be no one at the food item I do want.

I think this is the standard for most of us who consider ourselves well-mannered.  🙂 It's acceptable behavior as long as nobody is inconvenienced by it. 

• Like 3

No holds barred. Bob and weave. Pick and roll. Block, but please no charge. Seriously, it would be horrible if you had to wait in line for one thing while someone is taking their sweet time picking out just the right fried tomato. There are ways to be civil of course, never be pushy, pick your moments to enter. More than anything, be quick. 

2 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

No holds barred. Bob and weave. Pick and roll. Block, but please no charge. Seriously, it would be horrible if you had to wait in line for one thing while someone is taking their sweet time picking out just the right fried tomato. There are ways to be civil of course, never be pushy, pick your moments to enter. More than anything, be quick. 

And, do NOT get me started on the fruit pickers.................................