The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 12th, 2024

Posted (edited)

Good morning from another sunny morning in central Texas. It is 74F and feels like 74F.  There is not wind, and the weather app actually says calm for the wind speed.  The humidity is 95% with a dew point of 73F.  Our high should reach 95F this afternoon.  The main thing on the agenda is laundry, so I better get it going soon.

Jello-O is nice especially on a hot summer day, but I don't think I have any in the house.  Pecan pie is DH's favorite, and I haven't made any since Christmas, but I'll probably wait until it is cooler  to make one.  Night of Nights is an different day to honor.  

The Laurence J. Peter quote is amusing.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.  I prefer a medium Riesling to a sweet one.

We have visited Nanortalik twice, and enjoyed our days there.

The ratification of the Habeas Corpus Act in 1679 by Charles II was a good step forward in jurisprudence.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, we found it was good to sign up for Medicare the month before we were eligible.  A word to the wise, be sure to cancel you existing health coverage the month effective the month you turn 65.  Our plan kept charging us even though they would no longer cover us once we were 65.  Even telling them to cancel the policy didn't stop them from trying to get the monthly premium until I called.  Congratulations to your DH on the Omaha Steaks bonus.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for the information on Night of Nights.

@marshhawk  Annie, 🤞 that this time the surgery works.  I hope all goes smoothly for DH today.  Good meme.  As an unrepentant chocoholic, I say you can't go wrong with dark chocolate.

@Lady Hudson  Katherine, I'm sorry your friend is not improving, and I hope they can remove the feeding tube.  Glad you found an accessible cabin, but sorry you will need to wait until October for the cruise.

@dfish  Debbie, I agree.  Hamburgers have beef patties.  Chicken burgers are a chicken sandwiches under false pretenses.

@kochleffel  Paul, thanks for all the information on Night of Nights.  I didn't realize the commercial Morse operations didn't end until 1999.

449704659_122151907556233629_5255146039471965599_n.jpg.90eba4559ebbe6640852c557369d4761.jpg

449785479_122165045678134992_1397223651609792936_n.jpg.126894332b86c1dff7650325fe8fbd75.jpg

449847393_122151269210053854_556663197623612106_n.jpg.4439fb50682279d8f98b619da5b05c79.jpg

449969387_10225064823352922_158045052291390307_n.jpg.203c6fd8ddce24128cd761895d423a90.jpg

450227904_122158887278208240_628345473034164021_n.jpg.2d38e20b88ff7ade1e8ebe237f7a9fa0.jpg

450336617_122155761542136702_4738422655204552008_n.jpg.44e260da2dae99b4cb3a9b2b80936bc5.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 27
  • Haha 10

We have been to Nanortalik twice.  The first time was on the Tahitian Princess in 2009, and the second was on the Prinsendam in 2017.  The first time the weather was clear and sunny, but on the Prinsendam there were low clouds and some rain.  It should be easy to tell which cruise the pictures were taken on just by looking at the weather.

This was the village from the ship or the tender.

IMG_6124.thumb.JPG.cfd0b4dbba4e5a54f3a9877e69be4306.JPG

A few pictures as we walked around.  The buildings in the third picture are part of their museum where you can go through various buildings and can climb to the view platform by the flagpole.  There are stairs on the far side of the big rock.  Their museum was interesting and showed how they lived.

DSC09539.thumb.JPG.6f97588bd87d4f4f54a58155b7b07f1a.JPG

IMG_6128.thumb.JPG.9ad781efc49772eb7bad203b347f347c.JPG

IMG_6132.thumb.JPG.b55845773eff9e5f0a06b666c79f3dec.JPG
IMG_6135.thumb.JPG.090752ec642e69ce6db202c5198baf81.JPG

A carving representing a whale.

IMG_6136.thumb.JPG.2c0b4e70640b74f8203da43120a461d4.JPG

Some overall pictures of the village and area.

DSC09597.thumb.JPG.f68106239cf4c8fe088f6e020a43f760.JPG

DSC09598.thumb.JPG.7cacfffd5d25aa2a05dfcfeecf421a1b.JPGIMG_6141.thumb.JPG.6cb47fdd19fdd84a43967aa2cdd3fd81.JPG

A call to a tender port would not be complete without a picture of the Elegant Explorer at anchor.

DSC09592.thumb.JPG.b7fa0ad0cde5ce209680aaf5d44c962c.JPG

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

Good morning. It is raining and will be less hot today. I always liked jello and would eat pecan pie if someone else made it. I make chicken burgers frequently and it is hard not to dry them out. Like Annie @marshhawk I made the shrimp with peanut sauce recipe the other day and it disappeared. Thank you Debbie @dfish.

Tana asked me to make a chicken and bok choy  recipe from many moons ago. I made it when they were young a lot and it has peanut sauce in it. It is interesting how we return to the meals of our youth when we need comfort. I will get to H Mart later to get the vegetables. At this point, I am excited that she wants something, even if she only eats a small amount.

Sending prayers to Georgia for Chuck and Annie. I hope the surgery helps.

• Like 31

Good morning. It was up early and off to hospital lab for routine lab work. Back home enjoying a coffee and getting ready for many task that need to be done before our Sunday trip to Saint George Island.

We have been to today’s port of call and today’s submitted pictures reflects it doesn’t change much. It would be a little too harsh an environment for me but I remember they all seemed happy.

So it’s time to get moving and get chores done. Thanks for the report and have a great weekend. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.aa225d4170326ef6b0d800fb1c5c5e3a.jpegimage.jpeg.4f46bcc1c1b212e74c507d668e940572.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report. 

A hot and sunny day in the forecast.  Bertie and I went for a walk before it gets too hot.

Three good days to celebrate. 

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink but I'll try the wine.

Prayers for our crazy world.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for the FR&D.  Three interesting days but I understand it’s also Ice Cream Day.    Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie,  Chuck, Bonnie and Tana.

Interesting quote by Peter.

I have not been to Nanotalkik.

A great day for human rights in 1679.

The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit Medley, Parmesan Crusted Veal Loin, and NSA Vanilla Ice Cream as served July 12, 2011 on MS Rotterdam VI, my first modern day dinner on a BHB,  

I ran my morning errands early and am home for the day.  The weather forecast was for all day rain but so far only a few sprinkles.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Today's photo was taken two years ago today with the sun coming up over the school administration building close to my house:

oclsdawn712.thumb.jpg.c2875944dfe9de16c6129b3fd15aa602.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning all,

We have cloud cover and are supposed to get to 85 today. Have lots to do in the next weeks: 2 conventions, a family gathering of 30 for my cousin’s 90th (his daughters are hosting it at our house), several appointments and then our cruise.😳 So today’s normal house cleaning will begin the really deep cleaning along with power wash outside.

I’m interested in today’s meal. We had the Mediterranean chicken patties from the Daily a few months ago last night and for whatever reason they split apart on the panini grill and half adhered to each side. After scraping them off they resembled scrambled eggs. 😏 So perhaps chicken isn’t as suited to the two sided grill as beef???

Well, yesterday I installed the tool hangers in our shed, and declared it done. It was a long project, started in February and delayed severely by all the rain we had. I was ready for it to be done a month ago. Now we can clean up the mess in the garage and get on with it. I’m glad I got the chance to build it (we needed a size that wasn’t available in a pre-made or kit) and glad it’s done.)

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_4388.jpeg

IMG_4390.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 33

Good morning Dailyites 

72 going to 92 with a chance of showers. I'll believe when I see it.

Prayers for all our dear Dailyites. Chuck, Annie, Richard, Jacqui, Tana and Terri, and Terry. 

My DS had her MRI yesterday and was called with results before she reached home. Cancer is in the right breast only. Meets the surgeon on the 18th and scheduling surgery. Thank you so much for your prayers. I believe in the power of prayer.

Like @LambKnuckles stated, pecan pie wins hands down. MSH is a Georgia boy and loves pecans. No chicken sandwich, no jello. 

@kazu Jacqui got me thinking about cleaning out closets and drawers. I'm taking the clothes and shoes to the drop box on my way to the market. Thanks Jacqui! 

I put the pot roast and loaded the veggies in the crockpot, so dinner is started.

Nothing else on our agenda today. The kiddo's get to swim from 11 to 1, so I  will get my laps in afterwards. 

Wishing you a blessed day. Be kind!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Cloudy, cooler in mid 80s for high today, nice respite, maybe a shower around supper time. 

Last prayers last night for Annie and Chuck, first prayers this morning. Praying for Amazing!  

DH’s niece retired as a merchant marine radio officer. Although she is fluent in Morse code it’s not used much anymore. Thanks for the Night of Nights info. 

Terry, how wonderful to hear Tana had a special request meal.  I’m sure you were overjoyed!  

DH was better yesterday, thankfully!  We were both getting beside ourselves. I started searching for other causes but more antihistamines got it under control. Getting the electronic air cleaner going again too. 🤞 Thanks for your continued support!  Today I’ll meet up with DH at medical after my mindfulness gathering, he has an ear issue…. 🤦🏼‍♀️. It so great to be able to walk there!  

Thanks Sandi for the Greenland pix!  I love the rocks!  🪨  It a good portion of my reasons for leaning away from Cape Cod and more toward Niagara Falls or lately Adirondacks for my birthday trip, better rocks!  Always the geologist…. 

Special Blessings to Annie and Chuck, Terry and Tana, Terri and Jim, Ann and Pat, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Vanessa and BFF, Mr Boston, Denise, Joy’s friend Bonnie- let us know!  And each of you as we journey together. And our families- Sandi’s DB and the twins and Ren and family, Nancy’s DB. And I know I’m missing people but they’re in my heart.  And for our country, your country and the world. 
Smooth travels to all away especially our cruisers!

Cheers to all celebrating- you help remind us that Life is Good🌈

Thanks all for being here, enjoy something of this day we share!  Maureen

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. Sunny and dry with high of 85 predicted.... lows have been in the low 50's the past couple of nights. The condo does cool off nicely at night so sleeping is good. I am waking up around 5:30 these days, but still getting a pretty solid sleep. All in all, doing well.

Have to revise my plans for today. The thrift store at the shelter is closing today for 2 weeks to rearrange. I may have to take some of my stuff to someone else - there are two other thrift stores in town. They do seem to be in disarray out there... the new manager started day before yesterday. More volunteers have left. Too bad... they were doing so well before the old manager retired... but she just burned out. Current BOD does not seem to pay attention to what is going on.

I will skip the meal.... if I have a burger it is going to be beef. I have been to the destination twice and loved it both times. Greenland is really interesting and I like the more isolated places.

So, back to sorting and reorganizing (and try to figure out how to get stuff to be donated stored for 2 weeks). Dogs will get a couple of extra walks this morning. Maybe this is the time to catch up on some reading. Also need to wash the lower patio.... the birds in the nest above my light are making an awful mess.

Best wishes to all. @marshhawkThinking of the 2 of you today. Hope all goes well.

Susan

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've always liked jell-o, especially on hot days, will let others enjoy my slice of pecan pie (too sweet), and thanks for the explanation of Nights of Nights.  A good day in history for human rights.

A little late to the party this morning, as we had another middle of the night storm.  It was very hot (for us) yesterday and there were storm watches issued throughout the day.  Around 2:30 it started, and of course DH was up checking things out - he finally came back to our room and loudly announced "Ger, it's starting to storm!" to which I replied (yes, with my outside voice) "I'll alert the media."  There was about an hour and a half of constant thunder and lightning, some thunder actually rattling the windows, it was so low.  Lots of rain, but no hail, so everything looks clean and washed down this morning and the fresh, clean air coming into the house is just wonderful.

@marshhawksending prayers that Chuck's surgery will take place today and that it will be successful.  Some advice: you can't go wrong with chocolate.

@Seasick Sailorprayers for your DS that the surgery will get all of the cancer, and that she has a quick and complete recovery.

@Lady Hudsoncontinued prayers for your friend.

Lots of little things to do today like cleaning the house, getting lawn chairs down from the rafters in the garage, finding the collapsible trash bins, continuing to make ice, and running out to get last minute items.  Looking at the forecast tomorrow, it shows clouds, but no rain (oh dear, I hope no rain!), and a high of 27(80), so it should be a nice summer evening - as long as the mosquitos stay away.

I've written down the drink of the day for testing purposes, will pass on the wine, and have had chicken burgers and prefer fillets to ground chicken, but that's just me.  It's Friday night pizza night here, so on our way back from picking up the buns at the bakery, we'll stop and pick up some cheesy, meaty pizza to enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, and the innocents in wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

He's back; let the counting begin, lol. I did respond this time, but think it's appropriate so as to not get me kicked off CC.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3018184-follow-up-to-horrible-cruise-with-hal/?do=findComment&comment=67636167

That’s my next stop.

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

Good morning and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I am not a fan of Jello or pecan pie so none for me.  Thanks for the info on Night of Nights.  No on all the food and drink and I have never been to Greenland.  Very great day for people's rights.

ScreenShot2024-07-11at10_48_53.thumb.png.bcb5b8ef7676718f00ad759d1fadf470.png

Boy, did we get a horrendous storm last evening!!  It even hailed and it went on for nearly an hour at my house.  I could hear the hail hit the skylight in my "junk room" and thought it just might break it.  And I was waiting for one of the trees surrounding my apartment to fall down on my roof; I was figuring out my escape route!!  Lots of damage, a roof collapse on a NW business and power outages.  I just had several power surges.  But all gone today and we are under an excessive heat warning again with a chance of rain this evening. 

ScreenShot2024-07-11at10_55_24.thumb.png.c4925a053ccdc625c3b807a80add4880.png

I have my sub orientation today (via Zoom) and then I have to go and sign all the paperwork.  I am still working on my design for the tiles and keep changing my mind on the plan.  I have to go get one more piece and I think that will work.  I am giving myself 2 weeks to finish the project.  I promise to give pre and post pics.  I hope it turns out well.

ScreenShot2024-07-11at10_58_05.thumb.png.79d1fcc3323908b833299dd2a4e9b940.png

@Haljo1935 I saw the "oh, here is an update".  You were very nice (and nothing like what I had been thinking as read the jeremiad).

@marshhawk I hope the procedure goes smoothly!

Thoughts for all here and around the world.  Cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I am very late today so I will say good afternoon.

Pre-op appointment this morning. Yikes - i get why she said “if you get any sleep”.  I have to be up at 4 AM to do and take things at a certain time. She warned me to be careful as there are some outbreaks of covid and that would spell the cancellation of my surgery.

She asked about blood thinners which reminded me that my doctor has not prescribed the statins that the vascular surgeon wants me taking.  So, I called the doctor’s office and, of course, I need an appointment.  Sheesh.  So now on Tuesday, Ivan goes for surgery, then I see my doctor followed by blood tests for the procedure on Thursday. Sheesh.  Feeling a tad overwhelmed. 

Oh well back to the house and Ivan.  He’s 10 today.  

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Friday Morning Dailyites! DH's surgery is scheduled for 1, and he cant eat anything this morning, so I am definitely letting him sleep.  We have to be at the hospital at 11 am. If all goes well he should be able to come home around 7 tonight.

prayers for a successful surgery for Chuck 🙏 

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Our friend who had the stroke is much the same.  The next big thing is to remove the feeding tube which is proving difficult.  His spouse still not sure they are staying with the current facility so there may be a change.  Prayers appreciated.

I was able to find an available accessible cabin on Liberty of the Seas in October.  It’s a 6 day trip to Bermuda — shorter than we are used to but a get away for DH nonetheless.  I will continue to search for something a bit sooner.  DH is getting antsy.  But the next big thing is an echocardiogram on Monday.

I am so sorry your friend is not progressing 😢. I’m glad you were able to get the accessible cabin 👍 

Prayers for all who need them 🙏 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

We were in Nanortalik on Sept 8th 2012 with the Eurodam on a very ,very eventful Voyage of the Vikings with Captain Darin Bowland , Hotel Manager Stan Kuppens  and cruise director JC !  What a team !!! 

Due to multiple hurricanes we had already missed the Shetland Islands because of hurricanes and later on we had to miss St John’s Newfoundland due to hurricanes Leslie  AND Michael  who were predicted to produce 50 foot seas !!! and 80 knot winds so the captain decided for safe passage to go around Nfld between it and Canada’s mainland to outrun these severe storms .

Enough talk I will show some nice pictures of Nanortalik a very nice village with a population of about 1200 and here comes the Eurodam with about 2100 guests ……

DSCF3984.thumb.jpg.9c2b2359ab7fcd271e1a1274776b1177.jpg

DSCF3999.thumb.jpg.ac08d43a024a10fc89d31930f0095331.jpg

1405254025_DSCF39912.thumb.jpg.593ca1ae80033b89370a0d884d616271.jpg

BTW The name Nanortalik means  “Place Where the Polar Bears Go "

Can somebody translate this please  ...? 

1838144027_DSCF39932.thumb.jpg.57a234a3eb1fa92c6e188399a5da6134.jpg

DSCF3992.thumb.jpg.6404ac0eb4e30168f25caf47ee8629bb.jpg

We first went for a nice little walk around the village . Nanortalik is on a small island half a mile off the mainlands coast .

DSCF4010.thumb.jpg.f65dd278fc82335c1da22549c86bb874.jpg

DSCF4005.thumb.jpg.4e3fb8d857c7cc4306300dbf11686c44.jpg

An older Inuit couple cleaning the catch of the day 

DSCF4015.thumb.jpg.9aa43b55dbb641844f5635979f924325.jpg

We visited the local museum which has many interesting things like tupilaks  , old kayaks and tools the Inuit use and walked past this very nice little church .

DSCF4017.thumb.jpg.307b391532e762720aa1065181c7d98b.jpg

DSCF4019.thumb.jpg.8c7f91408d19a15872d0e2075e17f2a7.jpg

508330733_DSCF40252.thumb.jpg.392c753236c96f5efce3f445a65fee7a.jpg

DSCF4026.thumb.jpg.8a28713ed7c20b14aa657e6cda4499e5.jpg

This is a tender port and after an easy very nice day in a very different culture we went back to the Eurodam .

DSCF4022.thumb.jpg.413718e5cc0798bd7bc19a185bddcb7f.jpg

Have a great day everybody , Take Care and Stay Safe 

Tony 😀

DSCF3994.jpg.ce841709ce270b9d0c1fa4fb5c8

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Good morning,

Checking in from Ketchikan where the sun is shining. Sitka was sunny and mild yesterday. My friend has lived this cruise!

DM had a pacemaker put in on Monday and came home Wednesday. I talked to her twice yesterday and she sounded good. She had a fall in the ER Sunday when she fainted and now has two black eyes and a gash on her forehead.

Karen

• Like 13
  • Thanks 14

The quote reminds me of what we thought of as an "Expert" when I worked for the Government.  "A visitor from out of town carrying a briefcase".

Ray

• Like 9
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

We have cloud cover and are supposed to get to 85 today. Have lots to do in the next weeks: 2 conventions, a family gathering of 30 for my cousin’s 90th (his daughters are hosting it at our house), several appointments and then our cruise.😳 So today’s normal house cleaning will begin the really deep cleaning along with power wash outside.

I’m interested in today’s meal. We had the Mediterranean chicken patties from the Daily a few months ago last night and for whatever reason they split apart on the panini grill and half adhered to each side. After scraping them off they resembled scrambled eggs. 😏 So perhaps chicken isn’t as suited to the two sided grill as beef???

Well, yesterday I installed the tool hangers in our shed, and declared it done. It was a long project, started in February and delayed severely by all the rain we had. I was ready for it to be done a month ago. Now we can clean up the mess in the garage and get on with it. I’m glad I got the chance to build it (we needed a size that wasn’t available in a pre-made or kit) and glad it’s done.)

IMG_4388.jpeg

IMG_4390.jpeg

Very nice. Great job.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Nanortalik twice.  The first time was on the Tahitian Princess in 2009, and the second was on the Prinsendam in 2017.  The first time the weather was clear and sunny, but on the Prinsendam there were low clouds and some rain.  It should be easy to tell which cruise the pictures were taken on just by looking at the weather.

This was the village from the ship or the tender.

IMG_6124.thumb.JPG.cfd0b4dbba4e5a54f3a9877e69be4306.JPG

A few pictures as we walked around.  The buildings in the third picture are part of their museum where you can go through various buildings and can climb to the view platform by the flagpole.  There are stairs on the far side of the big rock.  Their museum was interesting and showed how they lived.

DSC09539.thumb.JPG.6f97588bd87d4f4f54a58155b7b07f1a.JPG

IMG_6128.thumb.JPG.9ad781efc49772eb7bad203b347f347c.JPG

IMG_6132.thumb.JPG.b55845773eff9e5f0a06b666c79f3dec.JPG
IMG_6135.thumb.JPG.090752ec642e69ce6db202c5198baf81.JPG

A carving representing a whale.

IMG_6136.thumb.JPG.2c0b4e70640b74f8203da43120a461d4.JPG

Some overall pictures of the village and area.

DSC09597.thumb.JPG.f68106239cf4c8fe088f6e020a43f760.JPG

DSC09598.thumb.JPG.7cacfffd5d25aa2a05dfcfeecf421a1b.JPGIMG_6141.thumb.JPG.6cb47fdd19fdd84a43967aa2cdd3fd81.JPG

A call to a tender port would not be complete without a picture of the Elegant Explorer at anchor.

DSC09592.thumb.JPG.b7fa0ad0cde5ce209680aaf5d44c962c.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites 

Prayers for all our dear Dailyites. Chuck, Annie, Richard, Jacqui, Tana and Terri, and Terry. 

My DS had her MRI yesterday and was called with results before she reached home. Cancer is in the right breast only. Meets the surgeon on the 18th and scheduling surgery. Thank you so much for your prayers. I believe in the power of prayer.

Like @LambKnuckles stated, pecan pie wins hands down. MSH is a Georgia boy and loves pecans. No chicken sandwich, no jello. 

@kazu Jacqui got me thinking about cleaning out closets and drawers. I'm taking the clothes and shoes to the drop box on my way to the market. Thanks Jacqui! 

I put the pot roast and loaded the veggies in the crockpot, so dinner is started.

Nothing else on our agenda today. The kiddo's get to swim from 11 to 1, so I  will get my laps in afterwards. 

Sending more prayers 🙏 for successful surgery for your DS Joy.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is raining and will be less hot today. I always liked jello and would eat pecan pie if someone else made it. I make chicken burgers frequently and it is hard not to dry them out. Like Annie @marshhawk I made the shrimp with peanut sauce recipe the other day and it disappeared. Thank you Debbie @dfish.

Tana asked me to make a chicken and bok choy  recipe from many moons ago. I made it when they were young a lot and it has peanut sauce in it. It is interesting how we return to the meals of our youth when we need comfort. I will get to H Mart later to get the vegetables. At this point, I am excited that she wants something, even if she only eats a small amount.

Sending prayers to Georgia for Chuck and Annie. I hope the surgery helps.

Terry, that is good news about Tana asking for a special dinner.  I hope her appetite is returning.

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

Well, yesterday I installed the tool hangers in our shed, and declared it done. It was a long project, started in February and delayed severely by all the rain we had. I was ready for it to be done a month ago. Now we can clean up the mess in the garage and get on with it.

IMG_4388.jpeg

IMG_4390.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures of the shed.  You did a great job, and it looks professionally built.  I just wish our shed looked half as organized and clean.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites 

Joy, I'm glad Bonnie's MRI showed the cancer is still just in her right breast.  I hope the surgeon can get her operation scheduled soon.

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Cloudy, cooler in mid 80s for high today, nice respite, maybe a shower around supper time. 

Last prayers last night for Annie and Chuck, first prayers this morning. Praying for Amazing!  

DH’s niece retired as a merchant marine radio officer. Although she is fluent in Morse code it’s not used much anymore. Thanks for the Night of Nights info. 

Terry, how wonderful to hear Tana had a special request meal.  I’m sure you were overjoyed!  

DH was better yesterday, thankfully!  We were both getting beside ourselves. I started searching for other causes but more antihistamines got it under control. Getting the electronic air cleaner going again too. 🤞 Thanks for your continued support!  Today I’ll meet up with DH at medical after my mindfulness gathering, he has an ear issue…. 🤦🏼‍♀️. It so great to be able to walk there!  

Thanks Sandi for the Greenland pix!  I love the rocks!  🪨  It a good portion of my reasons for leaning away from Cape Cod and more toward Niagara Falls or lately Adirondacks for my birthday trip, better rocks!  Always the geologist…. 

Special Blessings to Annie and Chuck, Terry and Tana, Terri and Jim, Ann and Pat, Jacqui, Elizabeth, Vanessa and BFF, Mr Boston, Denise, Joy’s friend Bonnie- let us know!  And each of you as we journey together. And our families- Sandi’s DB and the twins and Ren and family, Nancy’s DB. And I know I’m missing people but they’re in my heart.  And for our country, your country and the world. 
Smooth travels to all away especially our cruisers!

Cheers to all celebrating- you help remind us that Life is Good🌈

Thanks all for being here, enjoy something of this day we share!  Maureen

Maureen, I'm glad your DH was better yesterday with more antihistamines.  That made me wonder if the itching was caused by an allergy other than the eyedrops he'd had to take for so long. 

58 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Sunny and dry with high of 85 predicted.... lows have been in the low 50's the past couple of nights. The condo does cool off nicely at night so sleeping is good. I am waking up around 5:30 these days, but still getting a pretty solid sleep. All in all, doing well.

Have to revise my plans for today. The thrift store at the shelter is closing today for 2 weeks to rearrange. I may have to take some of my stuff to someone else - there are two other thrift stores in town. They do seem to be in disarray out there... the new manager started day before yesterday. More volunteers have left. Too bad... they were doing so well before the old manager retired... but she just burned out. Current BOD does not seem to pay attention to what is going on.

I will skip the meal.... if I have a burger it is going to be beef. I have been to the destination twice and loved it both times. Greenland is really interesting and I like the more isolated places.

So, back to sorting and reorganizing (and try to figure out how to get stuff to be donated stored for 2 weeks). Dogs will get a couple of extra walks this morning. Maybe this is the time to catch up on some reading. Also need to wash the lower patio.... the birds in the nest above my light are making an awful mess.

Best wishes to all. @marshhawkThinking of the 2 of you today. Hope all goes well.

Susan

Susan, I'm sorry the thrift store is in such a disarray.  I hope things get straightened out soon.  I know it must be disappointing in the BOD's lack of interest or concern in what is happening.

50 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've always liked jell-o, especially on hot days, will let others enjoy my slice of pecan pie (too sweet), and thanks for the explanation of Nights of Nights.  A good day in history for human rights.

A little late to the party this morning, as we had another middle of the night storm.  It was very hot (for us) yesterday and there were storm watches issued throughout the day.  Around 2:30 it started, and of course DH was up checking things out - he finally came back to our room and loudly announced "Ger, it's starting to storm!" to which I replied (yes, with my outside voice) "I'll alert the media."  There was about an hour and a half of constant thunder and lightning, some thunder actually rattling the windows, it was so low.  Lots of rain, but no hail, so everything looks clean and washed down this morning and the fresh, clean air coming into the house is just wonderful.

@marshhawksending prayers that Chuck's surgery will take place today and that it will be successful.  Some advice: you can't go wrong with chocolate.

@Seasick Sailorprayers for your DS that the surgery will get all of the cancer, and that she has a quick and complete recovery.

@Lady Hudsoncontinued prayers for your friend.

Lots of little things to do today like cleaning the house, getting lawn chairs down from the rafters in the garage, finding the collapsible trash bins, continuing to make ice, and running out to get last minute items.  Looking at the forecast tomorrow, it shows clouds, but no rain (oh dear, I hope no rain!), and a high of 27(80), so it should be a nice summer evening - as long as the mosquitos stay away.

I've written down the drink of the day for testing purposes, will pass on the wine, and have had chicken burgers and prefer fillets to ground chicken, but that's just me.  It's Friday night pizza night here, so on our way back from picking up the buns at the bakery, we'll stop and pick up some cheesy, meaty pizza to enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, and the innocents in wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, it sounds like you pretty much have things under control for tomorrow.  I hope the weather cooperates.

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am very late today so I will say good afternoon.

Pre-op appointment this morning. Yikes - i get why she said “if you get any sleep”.  I have to be up at 4 AM to do and take things at a certain time. She warned me to be careful as there are some outbreaks of covid and that would spell the cancellation of my surgery.

She asked about blood thinners which reminded me that my doctor has not prescribed the statins that the vascular surgeon wants me taking.  So, I called the doctor’s office and, of course, I need an appointment.  Sheesh.  So now on Tuesday, Ivan goes for surgery, then I see my doctor followed by blood tests for the procedure on Thursday. Sheesh.  Feeling a tad overwhelmed. 

Oh well back to the house and Ivan.  He’s 10 today.  

prayers for a successful surgery for Chuck 🙏 

I am so sorry your friend is not progressing 😢. I’m glad you were able to get the accessible cabin 👍 

Prayers for all who need them 🙏 

Jacqui, I hope with all going on that everything for your surgery works out as planned even with the added doctor's appointment for a prescription.  HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY, IVAN! 

20 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
We were in Nanortalik on Sept 8th 2012 with the Eurodam on a very ,very eventful Voyage of the Vikings with Captain Darin Bowland , Hotel Manager Stan Kuppens  and cruise director JC !  What a team !!! 

Due to multiple hurricanes we had already missed the Shetland Islands because of hurricanes and later on we had to miss St John’s Newfoundland due to hurricanes Leslie  AND Michael  who were predicted to produce 50 foot seas !!! and 80 knot winds so the captain decided for safe passage to go around Nfld between it and Canada’s mainland to outrun these severe storms .

Enough talk I will show some nice pictures of Nanortalik a very nice village with a population of about 1200 and here comes the Eurodam with about 2100 guests ……

DSCF3984.thumb.jpg.9c2b2359ab7fcd271e1a1274776b1177.jpg

DSCF3999.thumb.jpg.ac08d43a024a10fc89d31930f0095331.jpg

1405254025_DSCF39912.thumb.jpg.593ca1ae80033b89370a0d884d616271.jpg

BTW The name Nanortalik means  “Place Where the Polar Bears Go "

Can somebody translate this please  ...? 

1838144027_DSCF39932.thumb.jpg.57a234a3eb1fa92c6e188399a5da6134.jpg

DSCF3992.thumb.jpg.6404ac0eb4e30168f25caf47ee8629bb.jpg

We first went for a nice little walk around the village . Nanortalik is on a small island half a mile off the mainlands coast .

DSCF4010.thumb.jpg.f65dd278fc82335c1da22549c86bb874.jpg

DSCF4005.thumb.jpg.4e3fb8d857c7cc4306300dbf11686c44.jpg

An older Inuit couple cleaning the catch of the day 

DSCF4015.thumb.jpg.9aa43b55dbb641844f5635979f924325.jpg

We visited the local museum which has many interesting things like tupilaks  , old kayaks and tools the Inuit use and walked past this very nice little church .

DSCF4017.thumb.jpg.307b391532e762720aa1065181c7d98b.jpg

DSCF4019.thumb.jpg.8c7f91408d19a15872d0e2075e17f2a7.jpg

508330733_DSCF40252.thumb.jpg.392c753236c96f5efce3f445a65fee7a.jpg

DSCF4026.thumb.jpg.8a28713ed7c20b14aa657e6cda4499e5.jpg

This is a tender port and after an easy very nice day in a very different culture we went back to the Eurodam .

DSCF4022.thumb.jpg.413718e5cc0798bd7bc19a185bddcb7f.jpg

Have a great day everybody , Take Care and Stay Safe 

Tony 😀

DSCF3994.jpg.ce841709ce270b9d0c1fa4fb5c8

Thanks for the pictures, Tony.

19 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning,

Checking in from Ketchikan where the sun is shining. Sitka was sunny and mild yesterday. My friend has lived this cruise!

DM had a pacemaker put in on Monday and came home Wednesday. I talked to her twice yesterday and she sounded good. She had a fall in the ER Sunday when she fainted and now has two black eyes and a gash on her forehead.

Karen

Karen, I'm glad your DM is home and doing well and that she sounds good.  I'm sorry about the fall and the gash and black eyes.

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Nice photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.  The memory garden looks lovely.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7