Bringing cannabis gummies on board

I fully understand the cruise lines’ rules against taking cannabis on board. However, I rely on gummies for a serious sleep issue. I’m trying to imagine a situation in which they would be detectable. If they’re in a sealed jar and then in a ziplock bag, how would they be recognized? I don’t want to start a whole argument for or against the usage; I just want to know how great a risk it poses of being caught.

Posted (edited)

You do know that all luggage is scanned? And if the security personnel have ANY question, the bag can be opened and searched manually? With you present for the search, of course. If you are caught? Well, its still a federal offense.

Edited by mom says

1 minute ago, mom says said:

You do know that checked luggage is scanned? And if the security personnel have ANY question, the bag can be opened and searched manually? With you present for the search, of course. If you are caught? Well, its still a federal offense.

.... not to mention possible notice by authorities in foreign ports, who are able to come on board with sniffer dogs at times... 

Those dogs are *very* good at "detecting" whatever they are trained for.

When in ports, you are IN "their country".

GC

Is this something you can get a prescription from your DOC?  Having them in a prescription bottle would seem a valid excuse. 

You’re better off with Tylenol Pm.  It’s legal and works. If that doesn’t do it there are other otcs that may or may not work. Try them out before you pack and go.  Cbd is also not allowed on cruise ships.  If I’m wrong, please feel free to correct my information.

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

.... not to mention possible notice by authorities in foreign ports, who are able to come on board with sniffer dogs at times... 

Those dogs are *very* good at "detecting" whatever they are trained for.

When in ports, you are IN "their country".

GC

I have never seen sniffer dogs on board a cruise ship.  But they are very common in airports.  It would certainly be an exposure if you have to fly to another country to board.  

33 minutes ago, FirstTeacher said:

I fully understand the cruise lines’ rules against taking cannabis on board. However, I rely on gummies for a serious sleep issue. I’m trying to imagine a situation in which they would be detectable. If they’re in a sealed jar and then in a ziplock bag, how would they be recognized? I don’t want to start a whole argument for or against the usage; I just want to know how great a risk it poses of being caught.

It’s really very simple. Possession of them is not allowed on a cruise ship. Are you willing to risk the penalties that you may incur if you are caught? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I have never seen sniffer dogs on board a cruise ship.  But they are very common in airports.  It would certainly be an exposure if you have to fly to another country to board.  

I've seen them in the terminals during embarkation many times... It's not a rare thing to see at all.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

It’s really very simple. Possession of them is not allowed on a cruise ship. Are you willing to risk the penalties that you may incur if you are caught? 

I think that is the question -- how much risk of being caught bringing gummies. 

39 minutes ago, FirstTeacher said:

I don’t want to start a whole argument for or against the usage; I just want to know how great a risk it poses of being caught.

I can give you anecdotal first person experience.  I've never known of it being detected in gummy or vaping or extract form.  Obviously I can only speak to my personal knowledge and your milage may vary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Is this something you can get a prescription from your DOC?  Having them in a prescription bottle would seem a valid excuse. 

No! A doctor's prescription does not exempt you from the laws of other countries. 

First, marijuana is illegal under federal law and cruise terminals in the US are under federal jurisdiction .

Second, the marijuana will likely be illegal in the ship's flag state.

Third, it will be illegal in most if not all ports the ship will be visiting.

And IIRC, international maritime laws prohibit marijuana on ships.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rugerdog said:

I can give you anecdotal first person experience.  I've never known of it being detected in gummy or vaping or extract form.  Obviously I can only speak to my personal knowledge and your milage may vary.

I have definitely smelled people who got things onto a ship 😂

I have no personal issues with what people do, but I would definitely consider the risk versus reward... If that's a felony (no clue if it is), is it worth risking a felony even if it's a less than 1% chance?

I think I would find some sort of prescription medication you can use while on the cruise without that same risk factor. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I've seen them. And to give you an example every year cruise passengers in Bermuda are arrested when the dogs are brought on board and detect illegal drugs in passenger cabins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I've seen them in the terminals during embarkation many times... It's not a rare thing to see at all.

I have yet to see any in terminals during embarkation. Probably just didn't notice.  I have seen them at the shore side of the gangway in some port stops. 

• Like 1

Just now, ldubs said:

I have yet to see any in terminals during embarkation. Probably just didn't notice.  I have seen them at the shore side of the gangway in some port stops. 

I've seen multiple people get taken away and miss the cruise (don't know if they got arrested).

We saw one wife/girlfriend breakdown sobbing because they were taking her husband/boyfriend out and not letting him go on the cruise.

Posted (edited)

With legalization by many states the cruise lines are at an elevated awareness regarding people attempting to bring it on board.  As it is still prohibited by the Federal Government, that is the authority followed by the cruise lines. It is also banned with many ship's flag states and visited ports of call. In addition, most have it in their own rules and regulations as a prohibited item. 

Those caught attempting to bring it on board (in any manner, including by prescription) can and do face serious penalties which can include denied boarding and cruising bans.  This is all rather well publicized.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It is not just a "Federal Offense" but is also illegal in most countries.  While the chances of being caught are slim, there are countries that will sometimes sweep a ship with drug sniffing dogs.  You should understand that many countries do not give folks the same rights they have at home, and getting yourself out of trouble can be quite expensive.  And contrary to another post, we have seen sniffer dogs brought on a cruise ship (while in a Caribbean port).  Most passengers are ashore during port calls, and have no clue what happens when a ship is docked.  

I do think that folks might want to consider why its so important to take the chance.  If you are taking the risk for some drugs, CBD products, pot, etc. perhaps you need to take a good look inwards.  It is one thing to use those products where it is legal, but another thing to gamble all kinds of legal difficulties where the products are not legal.  My goodness, just bringing Sudafed into Mexico can get you into a lot of trouble with the authorities.

Hank

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It is one thing to use those products where it is legal, but another thing to gamble all kinds of legal difficulties where the products are not legal.  My goodness, just bringing Sudafed into Mexico can get you into a lot of trouble with the authorities.

Or ammo into Turks and Caicos!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I've seen multiple people get taken away and miss the cruise (don't know if they got arrested).

We saw one wife/girlfriend breakdown sobbing because they were taking her husband/boyfriend out and not letting him go on the cruise.

For gummies?  

Just now, ldubs said:

For gummies?  

No clue, I didn't go ask the Federal agents which drugs they were being arrested for. 

I truly don't care what people do, if somebody gets high or not has no impact on me... But I think the considerate thing to do is to at least be honest with OP about the risks so they can make an informed decision. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

For gummies?  

You can and will be denied boarding and face possible cruise banning penalties for any marijuana related product containing TCH or CBD, even in small quantities.

Maybe not arrested for gummies, as I believe you are questioning, but very possibly for other related substances based on what it is and how much you have, regardless of the legality in your home state.

IMO it is not worth the risk for any reason.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Maybe not arrested for gummies, as I believe you are questioning,

Yes, I thought it clear that was my question.