CABIN REASSIGNED

ebtrip

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sharon, our awesome PCC said a cabin change must go through her before a cabin change can be made. I have her email stating such.

I am not doubting that you have an email from your PCC stating this.  I simply want to point out that the OP has stated that the move occurred and their PCC was unaware of the move and was not even contacted let alone go through them.  I would think that moves like this are made by Ship Inventory and do not involve a PCC at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

I just did a dummy booking this morning for 2 people. Triples and quads were available to book.

Is the cruise advertised as “3rd and 4th sail free?  Just wondering if that fits in the mix.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

I am not doubting that you have an email from your PCC stating this.  I simply want to point out that the OP has stated that the move occurred and their PCC was unaware of the move and was not even contacted let alone go through them.  I would think that moves like this are made by Ship Inventory and do not involve a PCC at all.

I am thinking, perhaps, that @Seasick Sailor has an accessible cabin and that the rules are different for those.  I know when I was assigned one for a last minute sailing, I was told that I would be moved if someone needed it.  My PCC had me choose a backup cabin and said he needed to mark it in the system should the need arise.  (It didn’t.)

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, craig01020 said:

I just did a dummy booking this morning for 2 people. Triples and quads were available to book.

Did that include Neptune Suites?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I was doing dummy bookings on the website to see if they were blocking triples and quads from singles or couples, maybe 2 months ago. I didn't talk to anyone at HAL.

Question for anyone who has been moved. Did they move you to the same category grade? For example, if you had a VB, did you get another VB, or could HAL move someone to a VC or VD? 

I had a lateral move,V to V,  but I don’t have my extended balcony. I’m ready to give my final payment. I was never notified and neither was my PCC.  I’m concerned that my 18 day R/T Hawaii cabin will be reassigned as it also a 3/4 extended balcony cabin. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

I had a lateral move,V to V,  but I don’t have my extended balcony. I’m ready to give my final payment. I was never notified and neither was my PCC.  I’m concerned that my 18 day R/T Hawaii cabin will be reassigned as it also a 3/4 extended balcony cabin. 

Much less likely that a cruise that long would have so many families onboard that they couldn't accommodate them elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

I’m concerned that my 18 day R/T Hawaii cabin will be reassigned as it also a 3/4 extended balcony cabin. 

I can’t imagine that a lot of people/families will be needing a quad on an 18-day sailing, especially if it is outside the traditional holidays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

I was on the Koningsdam Hawaiian cruise 6 months ago and there were very few families with children (I’m racking my brain and can’t even remember any children). 

3 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I was on the Koningsdam Hawaiian cruise 6 months ago and there were very few families with children (I’m racking my brain and can’t even remember any children). 

I agree as the cruise will be at the end of January and the Kiddos will be back to school.

15 hours ago, ebtrip said:

Every 7 years it’s on the. 28th,as my daughter was born on Thanksgiving 

Sorry, completely of topic, but I was kinda stunned by this fact and thought it could not be correct.  Our eldest was born on Easter Monday and I know that his birthday has very rarely reoccurred on Easter Monday.  In fact it does not occur on Easter Monday again until 2047.

So after a bit of googling I found a list of Thanksgiving dates and it seems that November 28th is Thanksgiving on a sequence of 6 years, 5 years, 6 years and then 11 years and then repeating 6,5,6,11. 

https://scottforbes.net/2010/07/07/how-often-does-my-birthday-fall-on-thanksgiving/

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Sorry, completely of topic, but I was kinda stunned by this fact and thought it could not be correct.  Our eldest was born on Easter Monday and I know that his birthday has very rarely reoccurred on Easter Monday.  In fact it does not occur on Easter Monday again until 2047.

So after a bit of googling I found a list of Thanksgiving dates and it seems that November 28th is Thanksgiving on a sequence of 6 years, 5 years, 6 years and then 11 years and then repeating 6,5,6,11. 

https://scottforbes.net/2010/07/07/how-often-does-my-birthday-fall-on-thanksgiving/

Interesting, she was born 1968 so we have had quite a few birthdays fall on Thanksgiving November 28. 

33 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Interesting.  My twin's wedding anniversary is Nov. 28 and she has had it fall on Thanksgiving quite often.  My wedding date is Sept. 6 so we have a Labor Day anniversary every once in a while (first Monday in September holiday in U.S.)  2021, 2027, etc.

18 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

Interesting, she was born 1968 so we have had quite a few birthdays fall on Thanksgiving November 28. 

Leap years mess up the "every 7 years" rule, plus, Thanksgiving has another rule...its always on the 4th Thursday in November. 

Another example of Leap years messing things up. Our 39th wedding anniversary is next Tuesday. Yet, we were married on a Tuesday. So, according to the "every 7 years", our 35th and 42nd should be on a Tuesday. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

HAL doesn't let a solo or couple book a triple or quad any more.

Maybe it depends on itinerary, but when I booked the 35 day VOV, I was offered triples and quads. I actually put a hold on one and had my PCC move me to a less desirable location, just to assure I wouldn't face the situation in the future.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

HAL doesn't let a solo or couple book a triple or quad any more. At least, not on the sailings I checked a while ago, after this issue first came up here. I think I was checking veranda cabins. If I said two people, I saw a bunch of doubles. If I said one person, I saw the same doubles. But if I said three, I saw triples. If I said four, I saw quads. I don't know if all sailings are showing that way, but it looks like HAL is making it harder for people to buy cabins with greater occupancy than needed. 

I also checked Sig suits, which I think are all triples. The site did let me choose one of them, I guess because there were no doubles to force me into.

So going forward, I think people will not be able to book a cabin that HAL would need to move them from. The issue at the moment seems to be people who booked before the policy change and are not being grandfathered.

Actually that is only on Holland America's booking engine, there are many other ways to get around it. Most on line agencies have a totally different booking engine connected with HAL but allows All Neptune and Signature suites are 3 and 4 passengers and I see no problems with book a single or double. Same with selecting quad balconies. They are wide open for even Thanksgiving and December Holiday sailings. I think this is only the case when booking directly with HAL.

Completely angered by this new policy and livid that those of us who booked long before it was activated are not exempt.

We just received this notice in email yesterday (12.21.24 Christmas cruise on the Koningsdam — we booked in December, 2023):

image.thumb.jpeg.c5f1275487e06f9327da5199b103b082.jpeg
We are booked in a quad extended balcony cabin which we selected specifically and we booked the same cabin (on the other side) for our adult son and are paying the single supplement for his.

Other than canceling (which my husband is ready to do), what is the best plan of attack?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, forevercruising1 said:

Other than canceling (which my husband is ready to do), what is the best plan of attack?

Follow the guidance and change your staterooms as early as possible.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

Follow the guidance and change your staterooms as early as possible.

So, we just give in and voluntarily move to the “leftovers” for that sailing?  That won’t happen; we will cancel both cabins before moving to “leftovers.”

• Like 1

Just now, forevercruising1 said:

So, we just give in and voluntarily move to the “leftovers” for that sailing?  That won’t happen; we will cancel both cabins before moving to “leftovers.”

Since it is a Christmas sailing I think the odds are great you will be moved.  Is your sailing offering the 3rd and 4th guest free?

3 minutes ago, forevercruising1 said:

Then you have your answer. 

24 minutes ago, forevercruising1 said:

Completely angered by this new policy and livid that those of us who booked long before it was activated are not exempt.

We just received this notice in email yesterday (12.21.24 Christmas cruise on the Koningsdam — we booked in December, 2023):

image.thumb.jpeg.c5f1275487e06f9327da5199b103b082.jpeg
We are booked in a quad extended balcony cabin which we selected specifically and we booked the same cabin (on the other side) for our adult son and are paying the single supplement for his.

I never received notification that HAL moved all 3 of the cabins I booked. My PCC has put us together again but I lost my extended balcony. I have emailed the corporate office, awaiting an email back.  I’m sure they will do nothing. I was on Celebrity in April during school vacations, had an extended balcony, cabin was for 3, I was not moved as I only book Aqua Class and they only allow 2 in a stateroom. Wanted to go back to cruising with HAL again, but I may have to rethink this decision. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, forevercruising1 said:

I agree with other posters, given that it's a holiday sailing there are likely to be families looking for triples and quads, so I wouldn't gamble on being able to keep the quads you've booked. 

By "leftovers" I suppose you mean less than desirable cabins. That's the risk of letting HAL choose where to move you, especially if the move is made late in the game. Have you looked to see what's available now? If you resign yourself to having an ordinary balcony, are there any available cabins that would be acceptable? 

Other lines block quad cabins for booking with two passengers on cruises further out. I play around and input 4 passengers just to see what comes up and the additional quad cabins show up. The proactive approach to me. Shifting folks around after booking just is not good from a customer perspective. Closer to sailing the quads come up if available for everyone in my past experience.