Plastic zip ties to prevent reclining?

22 hours ago, markeb said:

Yes, but you’ve been on Cruise Critic throughout this discussion and the ONLY story from Celebrity has been safety. So you’ve heard the safety story for months. Maybe not everyone, but you and me and many others.

And why would the idiot in the cabin before you be traveling with zip ties?

I'm not that idiot, but guess I am an idiot, as I always travel with zip ties.  I use them to "lock" any luggage that I will not have in my possession for a period of time.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

I'm not that idiot, but guess I am an idiot, as I always travel with zip ties.  I use them to "lock" any luggage that I will not have in my possession for a period of time.

Add me to the idiot list as well. Not only do I travel with zip ties but I also cut the end on an angle. It's my way of knowing if anyone has removed and replaced the zip tie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, kpark895 said:

I use zip ties for luggage and also take a roll of duck tape. I don't care what others think. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, zitsky said:

What is the duct tape for?

The last time we needed it was March 2022 when the airlines destroyed the zipper on one of our soft sided suite cases and glad we had the duck tape to secure it closed. Long story but we would have been SOL without it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Add me to the idiot list as well.

Since I started this “idiot” reference I feel like I should explain myself. Bringing zip ties is not idiotic unless you use them on your balcony lounger. 

As you were. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

Since I started this “idiot” reference I feel like I should explain myself. Bringing zip ties is not idiotic unless you use them on your balcony lounger. 

As you were. 

LOL.   Next thing you know, they will be putting bean bag chairs on the balconies as a "safer" alternative to the loungers 😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, owensjro said:

Probably not the reason for the zipties, but this is the kind of thing that can lead to fleetwide "safety" changes:

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/florida/flsdce/1:2023cv21171/640961/161/

Snippets:

"When Plaintiff sat on the chair on the balcony, the locking mechanism gave in causing her to fall backwards, and she hit her head on the sliding glass door.Id. ¶¶ 13, 14. Plaintiff alleges she suffered an immediate paralysis, was unable to move her body or speak, and that she was in extreme pain"

"Plaintiff’s negligence claim alleges that Defendant failed to supervise its crew, failed to properly train its crew; failed to provide adequate crew; failed to maintain the vessel; failed to provide adequate balcony furniture; failed to provide safe furniture; and failed to warn about furniture defects."

ETA, actually this looks like it totally is the ziptie issue. Found this snippet further down in the case from an update earlier this year:

"Plaintiff responds that the record contains “ample evidence of a dangerous condition” namely, the express warning issued directly from the manufacturer to Defendant that the chair is only to be laid flat “for shipping purposes only.” ECF No. [109] at 6. Plaintiff points out the chair manufacturer testified this warning means the chair is not to be lounged on like a chaise. Id.; Zhang Dep. at 61:4-8, ECF No. [92-17]. Despite this express warning to Defendant, its passengers were not warned, including Plaintiff. Moreover, there was no mechanism to prevent a passenger from lying flat, leaving passengers in danger and without warning."

Probably not, unless someone dramatically kneejerked, or they have really stupid lawyers (maybe both). Aside from the fact that RCCL (not Celebrity) has not been found liable, zip ties would not be a suitable remedy for the alleged defect, especially for anything more than a temporary, short term. It is in essence a design defect, and the suit apparently does not claim RCCL is liable for fixing it. Plus, absent a stated safety rule concerning removal of the ties, booting a passenger for doing it would likely just result in more litigation.

And if you read through that decision carefully, her case is hardly open and shut.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I used zip ties on luggage before I got tsa locks.

The zip ties might be more secure. TSA locks are notoriously easy to get into.

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Add me to the idiot list as well. Not only do I travel with zip ties but I also cut the end on an angle. It's my way of knowing if anyone has removed and replaced the zip tie. 

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after you. 

Just now, canderson said:

Anything to do with hamsters?

Hamsters? No. Hostages was one thought 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Probably not, unless someone dramatically kneejerked, or they have really stupid lawyers (maybe both). Aside from the fact that RCCL (not Celebrity) has not been found liable, zip ties would not be a suitable remedy for the alleged defect, especially for anything more than a temporary, short term. It is in essence a design defect, and the suit apparently does not claim RCCL is liable for fixing it. Plus, absent a stated safety rule concerning removal of the ties, booting a passenger for doing it would likely just result in more litigation.

And if you read through that decision carefully, her case is hardly open and shut.

Design defect?  You might be right.  I can understand why Celebrity wants everyone to sit upright, even if it is really dumb.  I bet a lawyer could find many things wrong on a cruise ship.  

1 hour ago, Reel Love said:

Next thing you know, they will be putting bean bag chairs on the balconies as a "safer" alternative to the loungers 😉

Nah,, too easy to throw overboard  or to rip open and have the stuffing material go all over the place 

What they have done is replaced the old furniture with very uncomfortable and barely functional furniture that looks good in a magazine photo.  If I did not know better it was done to get people off their balconies and out to the open decks where they can sell them drinks. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Hamsters? No. Hostages was one thought 😂

Exactly.  I am not sure why some posters call it luggage 🤣

I have been watching one too many movies ...

Edited by NMTraveller

5 hours ago, Reel Love said:

LOL.   Next thing you know, they will be putting bean bag chairs on the balconies as a "safer" alternative to the loungers 😉

They may be more comfortable…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, owensjro said:

. Plaintiff points out the chair manufacturer testified this warning means the chair is not to be lounged on like a chaise. Id.; Zhang Dep. at 61:4-8, ECF No. [92-17]. Despite this express warning to Defendant, its passengers were not warned, including Plaintiff. Moreover, there was no mechanism to prevent a passenger from lying flat, leaving passengers in danger and without warning."

That is not the type of chair that I would be comfortable in laying flat. The foot support is all wrong for that position. Thank you for providing this as it does now make sense and I am satisfied with this explanation.

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

What is the duct tape for?

I've used it several times on cruises. For example covering the door peep hole when the little metal cover was broken off and let too much light shine in at night.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RichYak said:

I have many humorous answers to this, none of which are appropriate for CC. 

A quick and inexpensive way of removing unsightly back hair before hitting the pools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

16 hours ago, omahabob said:

The zip ties might be more secure. TSA locks are notoriously easy to get into.

The only difference is if you see your zip ties missing you know someone been in your bag right away 

With TSA lock you don’t know until you see something missing 

• Like 3

I use to use TSA approved locks. Then they starting coming up AWOL and nothing stating TSA was inspecting our luggage. Switched to zip ties and haven't had one cut off, yet.  Zip ties are a hell of a lot cheaper than the TSA approved locks. 

• Like 3