Infinite Veranda

irishayes

I see so many posts about people not liking the infinite verandas, but they don’t say WHY.  What are the drawbacks to these rooms?  Trying to decide if we should pay the extra for a sunset veranda room?

We liked it as it expands the room size. However, we did miss being able to go outside. I woudn't want to always cruise in one, but occasionally,  it would be OK. If you absolutely must have outside access, then of course, go with the sunset balcony cabin.

1. When the windows open, the air conditioning turns off.
2. The furniture near the window is very uncomfortable.

3. For couples where one person rises early and wants to read on the balcony and the other wants to sleep in the dark, that can’t be done

4.the electrical “box” limits the use of quite a few styles of plugs

5. the tv cannot be swiveled so the only way to see it is by lying on the bed

6. the couch is hard as a board and too low to be comfortable 

I’m sure there are more

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, irishayes said:

I see so many posts about people not liking the infinite verandas, but they don’t say WHY.  What are the drawbacks to these rooms?  Trying to decide if we should pay the extra for a sunset veranda room?

Simply put, I like balconies. These cabins don't have balconies. They'd probably be fine for me on a cold weather cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, irishayes said:

But it is open to the outside, isn’t it?

Yes, it is a floor to celing window, with a small sitting area, 2 chairs and a low table.  The top half of the window lowers (weather permitting) to allow the sea air in.  IMO they are ideal on a TA or Alaska cruise.  Don't think I would ever even consider in the Caribbean or a warm weather Med, cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

1. When the windows open, the air conditioning turns off.
2. The furniture near the window is very uncomfortable.

3. For couples where one person rises early and wants to read on the balcony and the other wants to sleep in the dark, that can’t be done

4.the electrical “box” limits the use of quite a few styles of plugs

5. the tv cannot be swiveled so the only way to see it is by lying on the bed

6. the couch is hard as a board and too low to be comfortable 

I’m sure there are more

Point 4,  5 and 6 are the same in all cabins ( possibly excluding high end suites) not limited to IVs. 

9 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

There must be something positive? I’m going next week😓

There's nothing wrong with IV cabins, just like there's nothing wrong with insides or oceanviews (I don't like them either). They are what they are.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

we actually quite like them. And there are many others who do. Just like always the negative side is much louder than the positive. See for yourself and find out what you think. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

An excellent photo, but still, just a window that opens. And IMO, those miserably uncomfortable low back chairs are a real negative. I think that IVs should be priced as an "enhanced" Oceanview, with rates lower than a standard balcony category. (Which will never happen!) But they do sell, so obviously people will accept them. And true, some folks like them. Although, with so very few "actual" standard balcony cabins on E Class, cruisers who want those verandahs are forced into the IV category. 

Personally, the IVs travel like a "really" nice River Boat French Balcony. You'll have to judge for yourself!

Edited by AC Stew
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marie51 said:

The positive is that you have more room in your cabin.

I am sailing on a different cruise line due to the IVs.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, irishayes said:

They are perfect for passengers who like the idea of a balcony but rarely use it.

Useless for passengers who:

1) like to relax on their balcony in chairs that have high backs/recline, rook for footstools and with a table large enough to hold lunch/drinks/book etc.

2) where one person wants to use the balcony whilst the other enjoys a darkened/airconditioned room i.e. you have to open the blinds to lower the window and opening the window turns off the aircon.

3) passengers with back/mobility issues.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Liao said:

Yes, it is a floor to celing window, with a small sitting area, 2 chairs and a low table.  The top half of the window lowers (weather permitting) to allow the sea air in.  IMO they are ideal on a TA or Alaska cruise.  Don't think I would ever even consider in the Caribbean or a warm weather Med, cruise.

Traditional balconies are great on TA's. We have used ours for several hours a day including having lunch on almost every sea day of every TA. We generally do 2 TA's a year and lately have had to fly to Barcelona instead of boarding in Southampton to get a ship with real balconies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

we actually quite like them. And there are many others who do. Just like always the negative side is much louder than the positive. See for yourself and find out what you think. 

I would not say that the negative side is louder.  I would say that about 2/3 s like real balconies and about a third like the IVs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would not say that the negative side is louder.  I would say that about 2/3 s like real balconies and about a third like the IVs.

Please let us know where you got your numbers.  As you know many negative reviews on here come from people who have never stayed in one.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Oville said:

Please let us know where you got your numbers.  As you know many negative reviews on here come from people who have never stayed in one.

If the IVs were better than a balcony,  they would have put them in the suites ...

Yet the premium rooms (suites and SVs) have real balconies...

It is clear which option Celebrity thinks is better as they charge more for a real balcony on E class.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1