The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 29th, 2024

Good morning, it's in the low 70's but still humid here.  The forecast is for a pleasant weekend.  We're going to the Brewers Game today.  Thanks for the info.  I don't cook with salt, but boy, you sure have to check ingredients when preparing food.  I figured out how to get the wifi connected to the dishwasher.  You can use it to see the status of the cycle.  We usually rinse the dishes very well, but after watching several videos, they say don't do that!  Did a load last after dinner and DGD's dish with dried on Mac and Cheese came out clean!!😁  We were happy to see that!  So far, so good!  

Thinking of all who are going through hard times and also those cruising or getting ready to.  Have a good day, and be safe everyone.  K

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Terri, I have the same issue with about 99% of the hotels I stay at. I have a "travel" pillow that I leave in my garment suitcase (it fits in a separate zippered section) so I always have it. 

I have a travel pillow also and several pillowcases that fit it. I can’t sleep on my side without it and have had to use it as a head pillow several times. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all. Sunny here and dry - the rains have moved on for awhile but right now we are out of the drought. Temps are cooling and I can feel Fall in the air in the mornings. Feels good.

Little happening here of note. I will spend this morning hanging "lost dog" posters for a friend whose Corgi has disappeared. I fear coyotes which is why my dogs are always on leash. It has been gone for 2 days now. The coyotes and mountain lions around here are so darned fast. Otherwise i will continue to just plod along in the house and maybe get a box or bag out of here. I have taken to reading in the afternoons which slows down the tossing but I enjoy it. As I finish up a book...out it goes.

Best wishes to all ... take care.... use your bubble wrap and remember, feet on the floor - heads up. I try to be so careful walking these days. I do have a couple of throw rugs which probably should be removed - have to think about that.

Susan

• Like 23

Good morning, 

It started out foggy but it's now sunny and our predicted high is mid-70s so that's good. Not a lot planned for today. I have some cookies to get made and will probably go into town to Costco so I don't have to do it tomorrow. 

Yesterday I got my hair cut and I feel so much lighter! My hair dresser was pleased to see me walk in as she didn't know I'd found her new place of employment. I also went to Barnes and Noble but didn't see anything I wanted. 

Tomorrow is busy with banking, the pool, a few groceries, and then staying away from crowds as best I can. 

Karen

• Like 22

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, quilty964 said:

...Did a load last after dinner and DGD's dish with dried on Mac and Cheese came out clean!!😁  We were happy to see that!  So far, so good!  

I didn't realize our dishwasher was designed to actually clean dirty dishes for a couple years and I was frustrated that it didn't clean as well as I thought it should. Then I read something about cleaning agents being re-engineeted for new dishwashers to allow for dishes to run through with dried food. So we tested it and it does a much better job cleaning when you start the dishwasher with dry dishes. So now we don't start it as soon as we rinse the dishes, we let them sit a while. Very different process, but I'llgladly do whatever it wants.

Edited by Haljo1935
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!

I like all the days, especially More Herbs Less Salt.  I'm much more mindful of that now that I have to watch my kidney function (next tests will be on Tuesday, we'll see how I'm doing now). Between traveling and the Nephrologist's schedule, it's been awhile so I have no idea.

I agree with the quote, would like the wine and the drink, will pass on the meal.  Last night we had the Shish Tawook (recipe a few days ago).  It was great!  I marinated the chicken all day and instead of grilling large chunks, I cut it in strips and cooked it on the stove top.  We had it in Pita bread with garlic aioli, lettuce and tomato.  It was a hit and will definitely have it again.

Today we're taking advantage of the good weather and DH being home.  The plan is to pressure wash the front walkway, which involves moving a lot of plants.  It looks like it will be a beautiful day, low-mid 70's and heating up to the low 80's this weekend.

We were in Tauranga on the GANZ this year.  We took a tour to a Maori Villlage and had a great day!  The guide was delightful.  She grew up in the village (only 45 residents now) and was a wealth of information.  

Some of my photos:

On our way to the village there was kiwi growing along the roadside.

Kiwialongroad.thumb.jpg.e90b8ca09e9374356c521193f5e71ed5.jpg

Arriving at the thermal village. It reminded us of a mini Yellowstone. The guide told me that her Mother had visited Yellowstone and how she wanted to go too.

MaoriVillagethermalarea.thumb.jpg.45dafc20f123e1cd995b4e1451b6e754.jpg

One of the thermal pools.

thermalpool.thumb.jpg.f34e2b388568a447badba6b7529db345.jpg

More thermal activity

thermalactivity.thumb.jpg.3de7070e16d9244a38a4e0f5219e0ee8.jpg

The steam box where they cook meat.  Our lunch was cooked in a steam box that day.

Steambox.thumb.jpg.96421d97fcb5ad7ae54a7e9a5c694635.jpg

The Meeting House

Meetinghouse.thumb.jpg.90788bb6a6a115bf0a38a5fc321074cb.jpg

Our wonderful guide in front of the Catholic Church.

Catholicchurch2.thumb.jpg.f85f37376da72ecc425df24e86629135.jpg

Maori statue

Maoristatue.thumb.jpg.31229b6d456089d17e471653268eda43.jpg

They have to bury their dead above ground because of the thermal activity. 

burialaboveground.thumb.jpg.fe12e4dbd1d3c21c7a40651f76676846.jpg

Bathing tubs

bathingtubs.thumb.jpg.c14fa7df2af34fcf8ba5b75ba27bac58.jpg

We were entertained by the village with a wonderful Cultural Show.

Culturalshow.thumb.jpg.c75bd3a1ca20c21f2ef8d4062dbf7f54.jpg

Maori.thumb.jpg.c8956135ba8e0fd713c866856f98262b.jpg

Maorishow.thumb.jpg.e04b4ea770af56105410319993f55e78.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Thursday from the beautiful Zuiderdam. We are at sea today cruising the St Lawrence. 

I am having trouble posting pictures. CC must have changed something. I figured out a way around it but it’s time consuming— emailing myself the pictures and then posting them. So until I can figure it out I’ll only post a few here and there. 

Yesterday in Charlottetown it was windy but a moderate temperature. We had fun shopping and then eating lunch. I had a lobster roll. 
IMG_6126.jpeg.ba1350fb6b54884152e00500f6c015b0.jpeg

Dinner was lovely as usual and the Artic Char was delicious. 
IMG_6145.jpeg.d07df516538986a36b2be5f8153c6575.jpeg

Today there are a few activities that I want to attend. Wine tasting is the most important. 

Have a great day everyone!

Did the broken window in the Crow's nest get replaced?  We so enjoyed the Voyage of the Vikings, but that was a bit of an annoyance.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

@cat shepard   Ann, where are you going that requires a yellow fever vaccine?  

Charlene

Charlene, if all goes well I will visit Egypt this December. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

@smitty34877 Terry how adorable Camilla is! The hair & the uniform are precious. 

Hopefully Tana’s FF is high today. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites.  Thank you all, for the Fleet Report and Daily News!  We have been to the area of New Zealand in the port of the day, twice, once on a ship and once by car  On the Statendam, we walked around Tauranga, I think the day before we had taken a ship's tour to a marae, where the men were persuaded to join in a haka.  Pat did his best!

IMGP0944.thumb.JPG.65abb39cab2e132330104e2481b63c45.JPG.

The beautiful mile long beach in Tauranga in the NZ springtime.

IMGP0964.thumb.JPG.44b8797ca311bad0cdd75775ca53d7ba.JPG

After we disembarked in Aukland, we flew to Christchurch, where we met Pat's sister and her hubby, and we drove for two weeks.  We stayed a couple of nights in Rotorua (oh, for smell-o-vision, the aroma remained with me for weeks!) and visited a couple of hot spring areas, and the Agrodome.

IMGP1084.thumb.JPG.c775f97f8b22ced0e866795efd6dadaa.JPG

P1000521.thumb.JPG.fe2b5f5d2a9c124c995bb3caba9a2c44.JPG

IMGP1105.thumb.JPG.c28a1e63ea33caa48770dc5a8eae82a2.JPG

IMGP1098.thumb.JPG.5db79a7e0f1b386c26317e538574c38f.JPG

P1000494.thumb.JPG.e851ce0b5b64a49df3c6259dd67f9732.JPG

IMGP1092.thumb.JPG.fc32983322263f5d29026e552aeb62d0.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm for all 3 days - individual rights, a halt to nuclear testing, and using more herbs and less salt.  I've never cooked with a lot of salt since my dad had a heart condition and couldn't have much salt.  I always put the shaker on the table for anyone who wants to boost their dishes and am never offended when they do.  Interesting quote.

It got cold quickly yesterday when it began raining in the middle of the afternoon - a sure sign that the "f" word is soon going to be here.  This morning we woke to a temperature of only 6 degrees (42F), but it should get up to around 20 which will be quite comfortable.  The skies are still cloudy, and it looks like there's a bit of a breeze, so hopefully things will clear off and we can enjoy some sunshine later today.

Didn't have much on the agenda today but that quickly changed last night when DH said "Oh crap, I just broke a tooth."  Thankfully it was one on his partial plate, as it can be easily repaired.  Because of his heart valve replacement, he's been told he can't have any dental work done until the beginning of next year.  This morning we're off to the denturist so he can get the tooth replaced - I'm driving him because he also woke up with a stiff neck and it'll make shoulder checking quite a challenge.  Maybe it's time for new pillows.

@smitty34877thank you so much for sharing the sweet picture of our dear little Camilla; hard to think she's starting pre-school already!  Our DGS's in Calgary start today; our oldest is in Grade 4, while the little guy has his first day of Kindergarten.  I'm sure it's going to be an exciting day for them!

I'm going to pass on the drink of the day, the wine, and will let others enjoy today's menu suggestion.  As I thought, my godson brought a bunch of chicken, but this time it was from Popeye's, so we've got leftovers that we can enjoy for dinner tonight on the deck.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, and even for those who don't think they do.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I thought of you on our Voyage of the Vikings trip as we had two performers from Saskatchewan:  Nathan, our Billboard pianist/singer, and another gentleman who had joined towards the end who was part of the new show, Breton Thunder.  Apparently, your province has some very talented show people.  Nathan was really fun as he had a role in Les Misérables and sang Master of the House several times for us.

• Like 22

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll celebrate individual rights, if they don't interfere with the rights of others. And no nuclear tests. Also more herbs, less salt is healthier. Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal (not an eggplant fan), drink and wine. I have been to Tauranga. A good day for Brazil and a sad day for Beatles' fans. 

A repeat day of heat (89F) and humidity, so I'll be indoors mainly. I have minimal symptoms doing the vertigo exercises, but still get bothered if I bend over to tie my shoes or do anything else. Today was day 12 of continuously doing them. Now we have to worry about mosquitos and the diseases they carry! It never ends.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for starting the FR/Daily today. Nice photos from Tauranga. 

@ottahand7 I am sorry to hear what's going on with your DB; is there someone with him that could act as an advocate? I hope he can get to see the surgeon soon. 

@Heartgrove It will be helpful to DSIL to have the house all ready. I'm sure she'll be happy to get released to home for good.

@kochleffel Good luck with the Representative.

@smitty34877 I'm glad that Tana is eating what she can, and that you are so willing to make what she requests. Camilla does look so cute and grown up in her school uniform.

@Seasick Sailor Sad about the typhoon, and those killed and injured. A vlogger on YouTube wrote about it as they're on a cruise that has altered it's course because of it. I hope Bonnie doesn't have to wait too long for her second surgery.

@marshhawk I found that Departures is on Amazon Prime, so I want to start watching it. I'm glad you've got some time off this weekend. 

@Mtn2Sea Thanks for the photos. 

@Haljo1935 I hope you won't have too much pain when the stone passes.

@richwmn Enjoy Seattle and your upcoming cruise.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you're safely home. Good news about just doing PT for the shoulder, and I hope the slight increase in Prednisone helps the PMR.

@Sharon in AZ Thanks for trying to share your cruise. Are the photos from your phone? I know if the size is too big in terms of megapixels, they may come out as black squares.

@ger_77 Sorry to hear that DH broke his tooth, but good that it's an easy fix. 

@Sir PMP Thanks for the map and photos.

@cruising sister Interesting how kiwi fruit grows; I had no idea.

@RMLincoln Welcome home! Beautiful sunrise. I'm glad you had a good cruise, despite the slow start due to bunkering by truck, and missing some ports. A nice way to celebrate your birthday a bit early. Good news that DH's eye pressures have remained low.

@quilty964 Yay on getting connected to the dishwasher, lol. I have a Bosch, but it has no wifi.

@Cruising-along Very nice NZ photos. 

@Vict0riann Love the Haka dance photo! And the others.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

A few pictures from Tauranga (2006, Statendam)

Arrival to Mt. Maunganui, Tauranga

325798814_073-ArrivaltoMtMaunganuiTauranga.thumb.JPG.b1294d4eab6193e288ddc5920c096ae3.JPG

Lake Karapiro and the dam

1962643675_074-LakeKarapiro.thumb.JPG.f0094c48f91ea8797b71e3ab1705c8aa.JPG

344750822_075-KarapiroDam.thumb.JPG.0e58667c71573f4aa4f8fc65649dd204.JPG

Waitomo Caves Totem

183768104_079-WaitomoCavesTotem.thumb.JPG.500c74baf73b01c867b373a6e4461bdf.JPG

Coming out of the caves. I didn't get any good pictures inside.

83124198_081-Exitfromcaves.thumb.JPG.8dca163c952dd6856af60f4cc0f0eafe.JPG

We stopped at a private home for lunch

614279278_087-Thehousewherewelunched.thumb.JPG.f810e02c2fdc7a879d559983e982fabc.JPG

471691179_083-Stopatprivatehomeforlunch.thumb.JPG.5a6fd88175495f46efd59dee9a2cfa97.JPG

Their birdhouse

959979725_086-Birdhouse.thumb.JPG.91a03287be0fe37bb37ccef426ca35c9.JPG

The gardens

336248359_088-Thegardens.thumb.JPG.bb0adb686d80d0d5490df1c358b92116.JPG

Scenery as we left; it was so green

1806273356_085-RenownedNZgreen.thumb.JPG.7c77f87eeec1d76f433883332df4691a.JPG

Otorohanga Kiwi House

1693899016_093-OtorohangaKiwiHouse.thumb.JPG.41b61d6fb2fa643666cd6707782a62ff.JPG

1682775961_094-NZBirds.thumb.JPG.82c66eed4bda1c397719d666e93e4cf0.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Posted (edited)

Good morning and thanks all!  We have sunshine after a cold  day yesterday, only plus nine and rain.  Like @marshhawk I appreciate those who are considerate of others! 

I’m excited to see all the photos today, particularly of Rotorua, such a geothermally interesting area.  DS will be visiting all things Hobbit in November.  

@smitty34877 so good to hear Tana is eating, albeit sparingly.  And seeing lovely little Miss Camilla!  

@RMLincoln so glad you had such a lovely time and were able to celebrate!  

@kazu hope you’re doing ok!  I know you must be so busy! 

@Haljo1935 praying things improve really quickly for you!  

Hoping to go camping on the weekend finally,  no smoke, or tornadoes in the forecast.  What a summer.

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Vanessa @JazzyV Great photos!  And we went to the same home for lunch on a tour out of Auckland -- also to the glow worm caves.  It was nearly impossible to get good photos inside the caves -- I know I didn't.  Wasn't their home lovely -- and the gardens!!

Change of plans!  Instead of pressure washing (can do that tomorrow) we're going to go see the DGSs and take them to lunch.  I was feeling bad that we've hardly seen them since getting home from the GANZ.  Between school, them being gone a total of 6 weeks this summer, and their busy, busy schedule, I was feeling deprived.  They will be gone all weekend camping and school starts the day after Labor Day.  So it was now or who knows when.  Cookies are baking and we'll leave soon.  Our oldest will start middle school (!!) yikes.

• Like 27

Good afternoon!

We’re enjoying a lazy sea day today.  Last night I had the upsell Morimoto lobster in the dining room.  It was a bust.  I thought it was overdone and the spice part seemed to be lacking.

Today we went to wine tasting.  I liked the white wine and the cheeses were good.

IMG_3526.thumb.jpeg.5f23640e6ca6786552ab02eab9f76168.jpeg

Now I am heading out to walk laps and enjoy the sea views on this nice sunshiny day.IMG_3525.thumb.jpeg.a91097022e71f10b70a7aa56597d635b.jpeg

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

IMG_3524.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

@kazu hope you’re doing ok!  I know you must be so busy! 

I am sorry I have not been on.  Just doesn’t seem to be time.

Sick or I guess sick at the heart.    working away and hitting road blocks on a lot of stuff but that’s been life for the last couple of years.  Just running out of strength and trying to find it in me.

thanks Brenda, and sorry I have not been posting but I have nothing cheerful or fun to say.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 34

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am sorry I have not been on.  Just doesn’t seem to be time.

Sick or I guess sick at the heart.    working away and hitting road blocks on a lot of stuff but that’s been life for the last couple of years.  Just running out of strength and trying to find it in me.

thanks Brenda, and sorry I have not been posting but I have nothing cheerful or fun to say.

I know this has been very hard on you.  I just hope things look brighter as time goes on and things begin to settle down after your move.  Wish some of us could help you.  I have tons of experience moving and packing.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Well, I got my hair done and then got myself over to Physical Therapy.

i was lucky to get the same therapist as the last time and set up all the appointments for the next six weeks.

So I start next Tuesday, Sept. 3.

i am looking forward to being pain-free, after all this time.

Terri

• Like 26

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I know this has been very hard on you.  I just hope things look brighter as time goes on and things begin to settle down after your move.  Wish some of us could help you.  I have tons of experience moving and packing.

Thanks Sandi.

moving and packing is no biggie for me when you go from house to house. It’s a whole new kettle of fish when you have to say goodbye  to treasured things and memories and choose and pack them up to be given to others. 💔

• Like 10
  • Thanks 21

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon from a not quite as hot central Texas.  It is 91F, but feels like 97F, so I'll stay inside the rest of the afternoon.  We have a better than average chance of rain and thunderstorms about dinner time.  If we get the rain, there will be no complaints from me.  We need rain. 

The house is clean, and the first load of towels are dry and put away.  The washer is almost finished with the second load.  I must be tired and/or distracted, I hit submit instead of the quoted posts.  

The posts I multi-quoted are did not come in here but in the other box, I'll do them separately.

@marshhawk  Annie, I don't know how I got someone's name when I commented on your post.  I was positive I had clicked on your name for the blue bubble.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 26