Door decorating - do you or do you not?

Door decorating  

48 members have voted

1. 1. When cruising, how often do you decorate your cabin door?

• Always or nearly always
    • Sometimes, as often as not
    • Rarely
    • Never!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2024 at 04:26 PM

On 9/3/2024 at 11:54 AM, ldubs said:

We have never decorated our cabin door and won't likely do it in the future.   But that isn't a humbug -- door decorations often bring a smile.  

Once again the same applies to Mrs.66 and I.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

I just accept that people are different.  In my mind door decorating is right up there with rubber ducks and bringing small stuffed animals to the dinner table.  I don't get it, but it seems to make some people happy.  In a way, I'm kind of envious of those people who get pleasure from such small things.  I guess it's just not in my DNA.

There is a major difference between door decorating and rubber ducks.  Door decorating is really silly but does not impact anyone else directly.  As far as rubber ducks is concerned - please tell me the difference between leaving rubber ducks scattered around then ship and leaving empty soda cans or empty snack food bags lying around the ship.  They are both littering.  

As far as sharing your meal with a stuffed animal it does not impact me at all except that it does make you look very immature.  Children need stuffed animals.  Adults should have outgrown them.

DON

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

There is a major difference between door decorating and rubber ducks.  Door decorating is really silly but does not impact anyone else directly.  As far as rubber ducks is concerned - please tell me the difference between leaving rubber ducks scattered around then ship and leaving empty soda cans or empty snack food bags lying around the ship.  They are both littering.  

As far as sharing your meal with a stuffed animal it does not impact me at all except that it does make you look very immature.  Children need stuffed animals.  Adults should have outgrown them.

DON

Like I said....  People are different.  Some people see rubber ducks as littering - others see it as a silly game.  As I said, I don't get it, but I have no problem with people who get joy out of these types of things, nor do I see them as immature. You be you and I'll be me and they'll be them🙂 

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2024 at 4:42 AM, PoppyVelvet said:

Yes, just a small magnet to help my low vision husband find the room

Exactly.  I never "decorated" a door until I traveled with someone who was quite directionally challenged as well as very forgetful due to age and health issues.  When billions of hallways and zillions of doors all look exactly the same, it help save embarrassment and retain dignity.  Just a couple of small magnets made all the difference.

I've seen door decorations on every cruise across multiple lines and never once felt anything other than joy upon seeing them.  It never occurred to me that some people would have an adverse reaction.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

There is a major difference between door decorating and rubber ducks. 

I agree.  I've seen crewmembers throwing away rubber ducks, but I've never seen them throw away someone's door decoration.  That tells me how they feel about the 2 subjects.  

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

No no no and no! Would you decorate your front door every day at home? Maybe for Halloween? Maybe a wreath and lights at Xmas but ordinarily no no no 👎

Lots of things  I do on holiday that I wouldn't do at home. Not really a logical comparison.

and at home I might decorate my front door for a party or suchlike - which is more what people are doing on holiday.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

No no no and no! Would you decorate your front door every day at home? Maybe for Halloween? Maybe a wreath and lights at Xmas but ordinarily no no no 👎

Your example doesn’t make sense. There are lots of things done on cruises that are not done at home. 

• Like 1

What I do as a door decoration is to tie a ribbon around the outside door handle, making sure it does not affect the opening/closing of the door.  It is a fairly subtle way of marking our cabin so we know which one is ours.

I have some difficulty remembering numbers, so it is not just for drunken moments!

• Thanks 1

No. Never have and never will.

I dont get it. Not interested in what other doors look like, and always just walk passed bemused.

A bit like those that wear group shirts with Cruise mentalist blazened across them or whatever.

Yes I am a grumpy so and so. Sue me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

On some of the social media First Time Cruisers forums that I see, Decorating Your Door is one of the things that people are told "everyone does", along with buying and hiding 50 - 100 ducks, wearing a lanyard at all times, carrying a Stanley cup around all the time, and furnishing the inside of your cabin with your own storage products, fan, etc.

We thought the same and nearly decided not to bother because it would put me off cruising, if it was expected everyone does these things.

Thankfully, the majority just want to enjoy their cruise quietly on their own terms.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2024 at 11:24 PM, K32682 said:

I never saw the point unless one is planning to get very drunk and need help finding your cabin. Door decorations would make it easier.

If i was that drunk that I couldnt find my room, I am pretty sure I would forget whatever door decoration I had put up.

Could always sleep by the pool.

To my recollection over 32 years and 50+ cruises, only once. And that was this past NYE where our traveling companions in the stateroom next to ours put some appropriate NYE decorations on their door and then also added them to ours.  So in the survey I voted as "Never" as we did not put the decorations on ourselves - they did!  LOL. 

Not any criticism with those who do, it's just not our thing.  Wondering if anybody decorates hotel doors at theme parks or other vacation resorts....

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Your example doesn’t make sense. There are lots of things done on cruises that are not done at home. 

No buffet when we get home after a cruise.  I complained to Mrs Ldubs about that and got the old eye roll.  😄

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Wondering if anybody decorates hotel doors at theme parks or other vacation resorts....

I have seen them at AIs and other hotels I've been to, though not nearly as many as on cruises.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ldubs said:

No buffet when we get home after a cruise.  I complained to Mrs Ldubs about that and got the old eye roll.  😄

My goal as a young woman was to be rich enough to have someone prepare a buffet at my home everyday.  Well things didn’t work out that way so now I do the next best thing - spend 3 or 4 months at sea and the other months eating celery. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3