How much cash to bring?

btregoning

We are participating in a chartered Christmas Markets cruise with Ama this year.  We start with 3 days in Prague and then cruise through the German markets to Amsterdam.

This is my first trip to Europe and I am looking for a little help determining how much I should bring is CZK and Euro.  My travel agent told me not to worry, that everywhere accepts cards, but if I want to use public transit, or leave a cash tip, I would like to be ready.  

Additionally, where can I get the best exchange rate?

Thank you,

For buying things, you need no cash, or very little cash, because cards are accepted pretty much everywhere.  The BIG exception is tips.  The tips on your cruise can be added to your account (for the crew, but probably not for the tour manager).  But you will have tour guides in Prague and also while on your cruise.   Tour guides will happily take your US dollars or Euros no matter which country they are in.  I usually bring a few hundred dollars in smaller bills (5s and 10s) and bigger bills for the tour manager for this.

In my experience, the best exchange rates are from ATMs that are owned by bigger banks (as opposed to various privately owned ATMs), and these generally have lower fees as well.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JordanF said:

For buying things, you need no cash, or very little cash, because cards are accepted pretty much everywhere.  The BIG exception is tips.  The tips on your cruise can be added to your account (for the crew, but probably not for the tour manager).  But you will have tour guides in Prague and also while on your cruise.   Tour guides will happily take your US dollars or Euros no matter which country they are in.  I usually bring a few hundred dollars in smaller bills (5s and 10s) and bigger bills for the tour manager for this.

In my experience, the best exchange rates are from ATMs that are owned by bigger banks (as opposed to various privately owned ATMs), and these generally have lower fees as well.

Have a great trip!

Do you think all of the stalls at the Christmas markets will accept cards?  Can I use my Visa branded debit card to get cash from the ATMs?

We were in Vienna last summer and there was a street fair with stalls selling things.  Most took credit cards, but one did not.  I only had US Dollars, and we worked it out with cash. So maybe not ALL the stalls.  I can't speak to your particular ATM card, but if it works in various ATMs in the US, it will most likely work in most ATMs there.

2 hours ago, btregoning said:

Can I use my Visa branded debit card to get cash from the ATMs?

We use our Schwab Visa debit card to get cash from ATMs everywhere we travel.  We take the money in local currency and let Schwab do the conversion.  We get great rates, and Schwab reimburses any ATM fees.  [In Europe we only use bank ATMs and have never been charged an ATM fee.]

We did the Christmas Markets in '22 (Nuremburg to Vienna), and were surprised at how many stalls and street vendors did not take cards. I was under the impression that most everyone took cards, that they all had these hand held card readers. We went through our cash pretty quick and got more at an ATM.  We typically don't buy much and when we do, it's usually at stores that do take cards, and so we usually only needed Euros for tips. BTW, we could tip in Euros with all our cruise tour guides and drivers regardless of the currency used in that country (Eastern Danube).

Oh, and there was an optional paid (entry fee) market at Thurn und Taxis Palace in Regensburg that I was basically shocked when they said cash only. And if I'm not mistaken pretty much all the stalls were cash only also.

26 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

We did the Christmas Markets in '22 (Nuremburg to Vienna), and were surprised at how many stalls and street vendors did not take cards. I was under the impression that most everyone took cards, that they all had these hand held card readers. We went through our cash pretty quick and got more at an ATM.  We typically don't buy much and when we do, it's usually at stores that do take cards, and so we usually only needed Euros for tips. BTW, we could tip in Euros with all our cruise tour guides and drivers regardless of the currency used in that country (Eastern Danube).

Oh, and there was an optional paid (entry fee) market at Thurn und Taxis Palace in Regensburg that I was basically shocked when they said cash only. And if I'm not mistaken pretty much all the stalls were cash only also.

That's probably unique to Christmas markets [and probably also farmers markets, although cruise passengers aren't likely to be spending big bucks there, what with all meals included etc...].  We have found that Europe is moving very rapidly to a cashless system, starting in Scandinavia and moving down the map.

We discovered this self cruising in France 2022 it was very often a cash requirement. I and DH never used our phones to pay but do use cards, friends never use cards but always his/her phone we all got stuffed because it soon became very obvious that actual cash was required. Mooring up latish and finding a superb local eatery then realising we couldn’t pay, how embarrassing. Thankfully we sorted it and Franco, Anglophile good relations survived to the extent that us ladies ended up having an amazing cooking session and the guys tested the local ale with what seemed like the rest of the village. I still think they got the best of the deal.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RobInMN said:

We did the Christmas Markets in '22 (Nuremburg to Vienna), and were surprised at how many stalls and street vendors did not take cards. I was under the impression that most everyone took cards, that they all had these hand held card readers.

It is quite typical for stalls, especially in smaller towns, not to except cards. My basic rule is: the smaller the place the more cash you need, the more temporary it is, the more cash you need. Christmas markets, small festivals, flea markets, tiny greengrocers. Kiosks are more likely to have accept cards, i.e. newsagents that also offer the lottery games.

notamermaid

• Like 3

We WANT to use only cards, but we always have cash with us and I have had some of the same bills travelling with us for a couple of years now!  Haha.

We don't buy much, but I always want to be prepared in case.

In Europe we will always have small US bills and small Euro bills.  We also try to collect Euro coins for Toilets.

We generally have a couple hundred in US small bills, and about the same in Euros.  

When we started international travel 7 years ago we would get local currency from AAA.  Now, we just hit an ATM when we arrive, get 100 euros/pounds, etc., and that lasts us for the duration of the trip.  Credit card use is even more ubiquitous in Europe than it is in the US, actually.  We will buy a cheap piece of candy, and that allows us to break 20's into smaller denominations.  If that's not enough, we will get another 50 or so as needed.  Even if there's an ATM fee, we chalk it up to paying for convenience.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We WANT to use only cards, but we always have cash with us and I have had some of the same bills travelling with us for a couple of years now!  Haha.

We don't buy much, but I always want to be prepared in case.

In Europe we will always have small US bills and small Euro bills.  We also try to collect Euro coins for Toilets.

We generally have a couple hundred in US small bills, and about the same in Euros.  

May I ask a question because I'm curious. I don't mean to bring up a controversary. Why would a Canadian take US$ to Europe. Is it because Viking will exchange it onboard? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Daisi said:

May I ask a question because I'm curious. I don't mean to bring up a controversary. Why would a Canadian take US$ to Europe. Is it because Viking will exchange it onboard? 

Viking Ocean will break down US currently but not exchange for foreign currency.

25 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I don't think you need to.  If you are changing Canadian money, may as well go straight to Euros.  

18 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Viking Ocean will break down US currently but not exchange for foreign currency.

They are talking about Viking River cruises, not Ocean....could be different as they may carry Euros.

12 minutes ago, JordanF said:

I don't think you need to.  If you are changing Canadian money, may as well go straight to Euros.  

That is what we do (actually still using Euros purchased in 2015), just wondered if there was a reason.

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

My answer will stir up a lot of controversy but here goes:

I buy US $1 dollar bills here in Canada.

I use these for tips to the bus drivers and the tour guides.

There are many that feel this is wrong, but it is how we do it.  There are many people that will have all sorts of reasons why this is wrong, but it is what we do.

We don't exchange to every country that we are in, because if something is not available to pay for by card, then 99.9% we don't buy it, which means we don't carry cash just because we might need it as a rule.

There are many countries that we go to that are not Euro countries, and again, I am not going to buy currency all over the Globe to have left over.

We give USD in cash for tips.

54 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

My answer will stir up a lot of controversy

Heh, heh.  I know.  As someone who uses US Dollars in non-US places, I have been on the same receiving end.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JordanF said:

Heh, heh.  I know.  As someone who uses US Dollars in non-US places, I have been on the same receiving end.  

I am Canadian.  To us, the USD is the most widely accepted currency in the world.

Some say that if you are passing hand tips to cabin stewards on a European river cruise that you should use Euros.  How do we know that they are not taking this currency home with them or in fact using it onboard the ship - which in many cases is operating in USD.  Banks in other countries such as the Philippines are more likely to have a favourable exchange rate for USD over Euros.  

I am about to go on a Viking Ocean cruise - I will ask crew some questions about this.

In any case, this is what we do and I am strong enough to accept any comments back.

• Like 1

Remember that if you "stray from" the beaten tourist path, US dollars will most likely not be accepted. If you gave US dollars to me I would reject them and I would not be the only one. I have no use for them and would be annoyed with you for thinking I would go to the bank to exchange them. Then cards are better.

For an eight day trip I think 100 euros would be perfectly sufficient these days, for Christmas markets you may want more potentially. It all depends on what and how much you shop. In the country go to an ATM (if you have not changed money at home) and get an odd figure like 90 euros or 110 euros. That way you avoid getting only large notes.

notamermaid

Thank you for all of the input.  As we do plan to buy in the Christmas markets, I think I will bring both some CZK and EURO.

Do you find that the ATM fee is less than the exchange fee for getting foreign currency from the bank?

I think for any European river cruise, using Euros would not be unreasonable. Even in countries that don’t use the Euro, the person accepting the currency is generally close enough to a Euro country for his/her own use, or can exchange it with someone who is planning to travel there. US$ are much less handy; they would likely have to be exchanged at a bank which can be a real inconvenience. 

The only real drawback is that the smallest Euro note is €5, and anything smaller than that is a coin. But we Canadians should be used to that; our smallest bill is $5.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I think for any European river cruise, using Euros would not be unreasonable. Even in countries that don’t use the Euro, the person accepting the currency is generally close enough to a Euro country for his/her own use, or can exchange it with someone who is planning to travel there. US$ are much less handy; they would likely have to be exchanged at a bank which can be a real inconvenience. 

The only real drawback is that the smallest Euro note is €5, and anything smaller than that is a coin. But we Canadians should be used to that; our smallest bill is $5.

To add to that, on the south eastern part of the Danube, most of those countries are not EU countries. Our CM told us that most places will accept Euros, but will give you change back in the local currency. 

That said, I would have to agree that the further you get form the tourist areas, the more you might find this to not be true?

2 hours ago, btregoning said:

Thank you for all of the input.  As we do plan to buy in the Christmas markets, I think I will bring both some CZK and EURO.

Do you find that the ATM fee is less than the exchange fee for getting foreign currency from the bank?

Yes we have found the ATM Fees are less.  Check your bank and credit cards for foreign transaction fees.  Similar to Jazzbeau we have a Fidelity visa debit that does not charge transaction fees and they reimburse us the ATM Fee.  We usually find a bank ATM at the airport, but make sure it isn’t just a money exchange bureau, as they also have the change fees.

Recently we have had problems getting change, so we try for small denominations, rather than say 2 - 50s.  We have had hotels tell us they no longer keep cash at the desk, and have gone into multiple convenience stores in city centers where they take card only.  It is embarrassing but we have explained to waiters or guides that we need to break a larger bills, and asked for change when tipping.  

AMA provides a tipping guide, so you can determine in advance what you might use for guides, drivers and the tour director.  The reception desk staff used to make change, just not exchange currency.  Our cruise last summer on the Main/Moselle the desk staff said they didn’t have change.  Not sure if that was a one off, or a policy change.