Why do some people hate cruises?

AtSea08

What a strange phobia - fear of a red-colored wave.

Please let her know that they are quite rare.

Bruce, Surely you are aware that if one drinks enough Compari...many waves start to look red.

Hank

:D

Why do some people like Blue and others Green? It is a similar kind of question. DW and I love to travel and will spend 6-7 months a year away from home. Many of our friends cannot stand to be away from home for more then a week. My point is that "different strokes for different folks" actually is correct. No sense trying to analyze motives because it is what it is :).

Hank

Exactly, it's not a one size fits all world.

I have a friend who's told me innumerable times that she'll never go on a cruise because of, her words, "the emphasis on food." I've gotten to the point of saying, "Really, I didn't know that" every time she says it. I've told her over and over that no one forces you to eat, to no avail. Oh well...her loss.

The mystery for me as a travel industry digital marketing professional (and why I found this thread in research) is why so many people that have never been on a cruise feel so urgently compelled to post how much cruises suck on every single article you see in the news. Just saw two stories on USA today about Carnival and the first posts were "new floating petri dish!" and "Walmart vacation!" from admitted non-cruisers. Really, did we ask you? The cruise trolls are unreal!

You never see articles about skiing with comments like "Yeah, go freeze your *ss off losers!" Or new articles about new hotels with comments like "Oh cool, more bed bugs!"

Weird. Is it a jealous response at something they feel is elitist? I don't get it.

Thanks for digging up this eight year old thread! Perhaps the posters that you read over at USA Today were not against cruising per se, but didn't like Carnival Cruises. ;)

In addition, so what if they have never cruise before, everyone has a right to express their opinion. And we all know the internet is chock full of uninformed people posting their opinions. Heck, Twitter built a multi-billion dollar company because of them! ;)

Bill Gates once said; “The internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow." what he didn't say was that every town that has ever existed on this earth has had its fair share of folks that have had an opinion about anything and everything, whether they were informed or not. (You might have one at your own Thanksgiving dinner table. - I have two! :o) So if you don't like the opinions that some people post about cruising on the internet, do what I do with my brother and SIL ...smile a pleasant smile and ignore them.

Actually, I don't mind people's opinions at all, in fact I find it very entertaining to read the comments. The point was cruising seems to be a very polarizing topic (has been for years - that's where the old thread was dug-up :) ), and even strikes a raw nerve with some for apparently no personal reason or experience. Carnival especially, but I can see that being another topic entirely with all the negative press. So yeah, why would you go on ships that catch fire and make everyone sick? Stay home, more room for me! ;)

It seems like when it comes to cruises, people love them or hate them. I've read on the board why people are head over heels over cruises, but why do you think that some people hate cruises and refuse to go?

People go in with already preconceived idea, 'This BETTER be the most fun a person could have, with their clothes on OR..' I am going to hate it, and complain about it nonstop , till everybody is thinking, 'WHY did you even bother coming on this cruise, and just stay at home?' Then the griper can snugly go home and feel HIS hatred is vindicated, ' See ! I TRIED it and HATED every thing about it !!' Soooo much for the open minded cruiser. :( And, it's true, cruising is not for everybody.

Mac

I personally know only two people who've been on a cruise and hated it.

One of them was my former dentist (we moved away from him). He went on a cruise and spent the entire trip down in the gym. And complained about how much he hated it. Didn't get out on deck. Didn't try any of the activities. Just hated it.

The other person is a lady who went on an Alaska cruise with her grown children. It rained a lot, and she hated it. Gee, what are the odds of getting rain on an Inside Passage cruise? A little bit of research might have helped there.

Easy to do. Queen Mary 2 makes crossings, Southampton-New York City, both ways quite frequently. Then train to Scotland.

Actually, I've looked at TAs and then Hebridean Island cruises. I'd love to do one of those! Sadly, reality keeps intruding into those dreams. :( Someday!

I only know one person who has cruised and doesn't like cruising. He first cruise was with my family and was the worst weather ever. She is older and has some health issues, so I don't blame her.

The rest who say that they don't like it have never gone on a cruise. I can't compute that. My daughter is planning her wedding. She loves cruising and would like to cruise for her honeymoon, but her fiance "doesn't like cruising". Turns out he has never been on one and his big complaint is that he doesn't want to "have to do what everyone else is doing at a certain time" :p I say more cabins for us.

My DH doesn't HATE cruising but he doesn't particularly like it.

- He doesn't particularly enjoy seeing new places. (I love it.)

- He HATES spending money and is still griping about paying $100/night for a NYC hotel room in the theater district in 1988. (Even at the time that was a fantastic bargain.)

- He likes his own bed and his own real computer (not the laptop we took on our first cruise).

He's consistent; he also doesn't like RVing or flying or driving further than a couple of hours from home.

That said, he loves me. Our first cruise was for our 25th anniversary, which I wanted to make a really special occasion. He wasn't an "I'm gonna have a lousy time no matter what" person and I had a WONDERFUL time. But when I brought up going on another cruise, he was strongly opposed. We're going on a cruise this May because of an influx of cash large enough that he volunteered to spend some of it on another cruise. I pretty much expect that this will be our last cruise, and I have no regrets. I enjoy cruising but I love him. And I will have FANTASTIC memories!

I can tell you my wife has zero interest in going on a cruise, unless I was to suggest something like a European river cruise on a pricier cruise line. I enjoy staying at hotels, even cheap hotels - it's just something I've always enjoyed. But she really doesn't like being at hotels unless the hotel is really nice, or we're staying somewhere interesting where there's a lot to do, or we're visiting family. I can understand this. Having said this, the only cruise I've been on was a chartered music cruise, and I'm doing it again soon. I don't know yet how much I would enjoy myself on a "regular" cruise on a line like RC, Norwegian, etc. I might really like it, or I might be a bit bored. On the last cruise the weather was very bad. We had one rainy port call at Key West, which I still managed to enjoy, and one port call at Nassau (a last minute change of plans on the captain's part due to weather) and I found Nassau kind of boring. Aside from the port calls the weather wasn't that big a problem because the point of the cruise was the music - only the outdoor shows were affected by the weather, which did cause some problems, but overall it wasn't too bad.

I have cruised twice. I enjoyed it but I prefer a land vacation. I don't like being "stuck" on ship on sea days. It's kind of like cabin fever for me, there is only so much to do and quite frankly my family and I get a little bored. I also don't like being on a set schedule. On a land vacation I can spend as much time as I like, doing whatever I like and I don't have to hurry back to the ship.

Would I cruise again? Yes.

Why do some people hate baseball? Why do some hate all fish? wHY DO some people hate,,,,,,,,,,,,, fill in he blank?

We can'nnot all, llike want the same things, thankfully.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm struggling with the word "hate" in this discussion. I rather use "Prefer" for the choices people make. I feel like the OP intended this discussion more as "I love to cruise and it is hard for me to understand why other people prefer a different type of vacation."

To the OPs question; we finally talked our best friends into joining us on a cruise. They weren't really excited about going on one but couldn't really explain why. They had and fun time on the cruise with us, but they won't do another one. And they really can't explain why. But as I've listen to them talk about their land vacation experiences over the years, I think they just want more control of their daily agenda and a ship in the middle of an ocean doesn't allow that kind of control. Of course that is my opinion, because if you ask them, they really can't explain why.:rolleyes:

Burt

My very first cruise was over Thanksgiving with my family... My mom paid for it, and I was reluctant to even go at all. I remember when we first boarded. The crowds of strangers, I didn't know my way around. I thought to myself "what have I gotten into?"

But the next morning I got up, had a great breakfast. Soon I was drinking out by the pool in the middle of the day, when I would normally be at work. The feeling of being out at sea was so peaceful, and the stresses of everyday life disappeared into the wake of the ocean. I was like, "this is not half bad" Since then I have been on over 10 more cruises, with 4 more currently booked. You could say I'm addicted...

I'm struggling with the word "hate" in this discussion. I rather use "Prefer" for the choices people make. I feel like the OP intended this discussion more as "I love to cruise and it is hard for me to understand why other people prefer a different type of vacation."

I was thinking the same thing. To say "hate" means an intense emotional dislike for something. I don't think there is anyone that has that kind of emotion for a mode of vacation. IMO, I feel the word is borderline offensive but that's just me.

We are take it or leave it kind of people when it comes to cruising. When we do cruise we do enjoy it for the most part but there's portions that aren't for us. People have asked us why we cruised where my answer was usually a quick... "you can do as much as you want or as little you want on the ship. It's all up to you."

Some of the downsides are..... Being herded around like sheep when it comes to boarding, disembarking, excursions, etc. The limited time at port and you're limited to just port cities or close to them. I have anxiety issues and at times I don't do well with crowds.

When we get to the Yukon and Alaska it won't be on any cruise ship. We'll be doing it from the freedom of our RV without an itinerary where we can stay at any location for as long as we like and leave when we decide. Alaska is a huge state where you don't see much of it from a boat floating by for a few days. We plan on staying for a couple of months... Another plus is... I've never had a meal on a cruise ship that can compare to my beef ribs off the grill or Dutch oven peach cobbler cooked over the open fire... :D :)

> We'll be doing it from the freedom of our RV without an itinerary where we can stay at any location for as long as we like and leave when we decide

I'm guessing you are retired. My DH is still working (and will be for at least another 15 years). He can't get off work long enough for the several days it would take us to drive there, plus exploring time, plus time to drive back. The cruise will let us sample Alaska without worrying about transportation and only take one week of DH's vacation time.

You will certainly see more of Alaska, but the cruise lets us see one part of Alaska within our time constraints.

(I am working on DH to buy another RV, but probably still won't drive it to Alaska. Maybe we can do some exploring in Canada, though.)