Death of MDR, rise of Windjammer

Do they post themes or key dishes outside the windjammer the way they do outside the MDR the day of?

Or, does anyone (esp with my time dining) see what the mdr is doing, then stop by the wj and decide?

Can’t decide if that seems like a workable plan, or if that’s a bit much, haha. It’s a whole other project to get my wife on board with the plan too ;)

To each his/her own, I would never lower my standers eating in the WJ especially seeing a guy exit the bathroom from doing a number two a walked out and into the WJ no washy washy picking up the serving utensils, and on another occasion seeing a lady reach over the food dragging her dirty sleeves over the food YUCK BIG TIME!!! MDR Always I paid good money for my cruise and like being served my meals at my table. 29 days on the Explorer last year and on the Navigator in seven weeks time.

I've never eaten dinner in the WJ. Is it vastly different from lunch? I find myself wandering around looking at all the choices and taking a little of this and that but not really feeling good about what I'm eating there at lunch. I prefer to go to Cafe 270 and get soup and a panini. I do agree with repetition the MDR menus can feel uninspired, but I've been happy with quality. I will definitely pick a less inspiring menu night to try WJ on my next cruise. Can't hurt to mix things up a bit.

I have no issue where anyone wants to have dinner. Glad there are options. I personally like the slow 2 hr pace where I can chat with table mates and waiters. For that reason I have no interest in WJ. For folks of a generation that want to get in and out quickly that's fine. It's not me. Not sure why people are getting confrontational about the topic. Go where you'd like.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, but they may note the theme in the Cruise Compass for that day.

Do they post themes or key dishes outside the windjammer the way they do outside the MDR the day of?

They have advertised here on Ovation.

c3b82c84e4cf314d9ee179949072ea83.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

They have advertised here on Ovation.

c3b82c84e4cf314d9ee179949072ea83.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Mariner does that as well. Last night was Turkey night.

Country, not the bird.

However, I believe they are serving Turkey in the MDR tonight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pretty cool that they are advertising the theme nights. That's new to me; didn't see it on Oasis last summer. However, the WJ greeter we became friends with would always tell us what was coming up next.

Your experience mirrors ours. We don't have 2 hour dinners at home and care even less about them on vacation. Plus, those plastic plate covers from the kitchen are reminiscent of the fine dining at the local hospital.

We never had 2 hours dinner in MDR. It’s mostly 45 minutes.

But we do book a table for two which helps.

We never had 2 hours dinner in MDR. It’s mostly 45 minutes.

But we do book a table for two which helps.

We have tried now on our last 3 cruises, RCI and Carnival, and it's always at least 90 minutes. I thought my family would love the MDR as that's what I always preferred back in the day, but alas they have no interest in sitting around waiting for the next course. I have failed to instill any proper breeding into them during the course of our busy run-here-run-there lives and they see no reason to switch to fine dining on vacation.

We have tried now on our last 3 cruises, RCI and Carnival, and it's always at least 90 minutes. I thought my family would love the MDR as that's what I always preferred back in the day, but alas they have no interest in sitting around waiting for the next course. I have failed to instill any proper breeding into them during the course of our busy run-here-run-there lives and they see no reason to switch to fine dining on vacation.

Hmmm... Our record was on Allure when Patriots were playing. 22 minutes. Maximum probably 60-65 minutes when we order 3 entrees each and 3-4 starters and a dessert. We don’t usually eat dessert. But average is about 45-50 minutes.

It’s only me and my husband now, our son when sailed with us rarely joined us for dinner.

This is an opinionated and interesting forum. But that is what makes CC so much fun. While we obviously haven't been on as many cruises, my darling wife and I also have our opinions. Suffice to say, we have been partakers in all of the various venues that have been offered on our fabulous cruises. We have been involved in short and some long meals in MDR's, buffets and Specialty Restaurants. As for 2 hour meals they are usually if not always at our choice. Good meals, great waiters, fantastic table mates make the time fly.

If, however, we get stuck with a less than enjoyable group at the meal I can always excuse us and escape from the "dreaded" table. But we never, I repeat never, sign up for Traditional Dinning.

Otherwise we just love meeting new people and as a result we make many new cruise friends.

Just Mike, RetiredNTraveling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Forums mobile app

We always opt out from big tables. We aren't opposed to conversations with "strangers" sitting at nearby tables, and some were great, but don't want to be obligated to have them.

Or, does anyone (esp with my time dining) see what the mdr is doing, then stop by the wj and decide?

Can’t decide if that seems like a workable plan, or if that’s a bit much, haha. It’s a whole other project to get my wife on board with the plan too ;)

If it is a theme night (i.e. seafood) there are cardboard tents on the tables in the WJ placed earlier in the day.

MARAPRINCE

On Mariner they have a monitor as you enter the Jammer. Always list the evening theme.

Advertising that tonight is American.

However, the compass says British. [emoji848]

f5c94e97de82d77de53dd381f028129b.jpg

On Mariner they have a monitor as you enter the Jammer. Always list the evening theme.

Advertising that tonight is American.

However, the compass says British. [emoji848]

f5c94e97de82d77de53dd381f028129b.jpg

Steak and kidney pie on order perhaps? Bangers and mash? Blancmange? I do enjoy a nice ploughman plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Went back to MDR on second formal night; absolutely packed. Shared a table and met some nice people. Wait staff had us in and out in 1 hour without any prompting. Said it was full only for lobster nights. Went to Jammer after to see and it was empty.

Most of the side dishes we had in Chops and Giovanni's were available in Windjammer on most nights.

We did get a kids menu finally in MDR on night 8; had a date code of 2016 on it so not sure why so many of the wait staff did not seem to know it existed. Also got the "10's speech" in MDR.

on the Navigator in seven weeks time.

WJ Standards on Navigator were clearly above MDR; watch the Compass for the themes, you may be very surprised. I took photos of the Seafood night and will look for somewhere to upload them for here. Impressed in a great way.

My husband and I use to enjoy the MDR in the "old days". However, time has changed the amount of waitstaff one table has and now its rush, rush. Also, the food isn't as good as it use to be.. So we enjoy the WJ more and more....................

Pretty nice lunch for embarkation today.

Oh man! Did I miss the opportunity to meet you? Smooth sailing on your TA! If you have a balcony room on deck 9 look for the two hidden bottles of wine we left ;)