The recurring tonic question! Anyone on Journey now?

gymfreak

Each line will have its own marketing focus. Just so happens at the moment that P & O are big into celebrating 180 years of gin and all the trimmings that go with it. Sorry Lottie. Not even all that would tempt me to P & O. Nothing wrong with them, just not for me. I’ll forego the Fever Tree and enjoy the rest!;)

I do honestly feel this subject has gone way beyond its sell by date.

Phil

I agree. We have just returned from a U.K. land tour, England, Wales, and Scotland. Scotland shops sell gin flavored chocolate and lip balm. Our driver, a Scot, said "Scots will put gin in anything possible."

A final word on the Tonic question, I’m quite happy with the Canada Dry Diet Tonic currently being served, I’m not allowed to regularly partake of the ‘full fat’ versions whether they be Schweppes, Fever Tree, etc etc, which I find far too sweet anyway. a Gordon’s or Beefeater with Canada Dry Diet is fine for my palate. I do however draw the line at Royal Club:(

We do have Anno Gin, Tanquaray , Sloe and Edinburgh Gin at home, but our regular snifter are export strength (47%) Beefeater or Gordon’s with Lidl or Tesco Diet Tonic. Tried Fever Tree light, but can’t justify the expense for little taste difference. Plus of course a frozen Lemon slice.

Never mind lemon, have you tried it with lime - delicious!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another area of debate opens up - which garnish to have with which gin?

I subscribe to lime as my garnish of choice (but lemon will do). Some will go into battle for cucumber with Hendricks for example.

The amount of ice is an important part of the whole as well.

Another area of debate opens up - which garnish to have with which gin?

I subscribe to lime as my garnish of choice (but lemon will do). Some will go into battle for cucumber with Hendricks for example.

The amount of ice is an important part of the whole as well.

And a twist of pink grapefruit peel with a garnish of blueberries with Brockmans ( DH's favourite).

So I found there is another way to ruin a G&T, besides bad gin and Royal Club tonic: lime packets!!! That's what JetBlue offered yesterday [full disclosure: I could also have had a lemon packet – but no fresh lime or lemon slices]. Real the packet claim carefully: "Real flavor from real fruit." Not "real fruit flavor." Dreadful :eek:

enhance

• 1 month later...

Breaking news! We are on Quest now(sadly leave tomorrow) and they have Fever Tree tonic onboard. You have to request it but have had no problem this week with my G&T. 

I did ask if this would now feature on all the ships but haven’t got a definitive yes.

Lets hope this is the start of something more permanent 

i am a happy girl!

vicki

57 minutes ago, gymfreak said:

Breaking news! We are on Quest now(sadly leave tomorrow) and they have Fever Tree tonic onboard. You have to request it but have had no problem this week with my G&T. 

I did ask if this would now feature on all the ships but haven’t got a definitive yes.

Lets hope this is the start of something more permanent 

i am a happy girl!

vicki

YAY!

Does that mean it’s ‘included’ or do you have to pay extra?

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

20 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

YAY!

Does that mean it’s ‘included’ or do you have to pay extra?

We have upgraded to the Ultimate package and were not sure if this was a perk but have just asked the question and it is included in the complimentary list. Apparently it is as a request of guests and it is suggested that if enough people request it it may then feature regularly As I say it’s under the counter here but available on request. Hopefully enough role will cotton on and put inthe request  

vicki

31 minutes ago, gymfreak said:

We have upgraded to the Ultimate package and were not sure if this was a perk but have just asked the question and it is included in the complimentary list. Apparently it is as a request of guests and it is suggested that if enough people request it it may then feature regularly As I say it’s under the counter here but available on request. Hopefully enough role will cotton on and put inthe request  

vicki

We are on Quest in a couple of months out of Melbourne. Let us hope and pray that the Fever Tree is restocked before we get on board (it will need to be after we get off!:classic_biggrin:)

4 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

We are on Quest in a couple of months out of Melbourne. Let us hope and pray that the Fever Tree is restocked before we get on board (it will need to be after we get off!:classic_biggrin:)

Let’s hope so . I suggest you get lobbying now Steve. Maybe an email to Richard for UK guests or see if Bonnie has more information. 

I shall certainly comment on my post  cruise feedback and have already spoken to Fabio onboard who is Quests Food and beverage manager

vicki

8 minutes ago, gymfreak said:

Let’s hope so . I suggest you get lobbying now Steve. Maybe an email to Richard for UK guests or see if Bonnie has more information. 

I shall certainly comment on my post  cruise feedback and have already spoken to Fabio onboard who is Quests Food and beverage manager

vicki

Hi Vicki, that’s good to hear, had a conversation with Richard when we were on Pursuit and he did say that they were talking to Fever Tree so looks like it may be a positive outcome.

If you see Fabio give him our regards and hopefully we will see him on Quest next October.

2 hours ago, gymfreak said:

vicki

Thanks for the information. Let’s hope it spreads to the other ships.

2 hours ago, gymfreak said:

vicki

I’m really pleased to hear that and somewhat surprised too.  Let’s hope it stays!

I hope you and Charlie had a lovely cruise Vicki.

phil

5 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’m really pleased to hear that and somewhat surprised too.  Let’s hope it stays!

I hope you and Charlie had a lovely cruise Vicki.

phil

I second your sentiments, Phil...pleased and somewhat surprised. By that I mean it’s news to me. I’ll see if I can find out more. 

If it is only a test, here’s hoping guests “vote.”

3 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

I second your sentiments, Phil...pleased and somewhat surprised. By that I mean it’s news to me. I’ll see if I can find out more. 

Thank you Bonnie

I was more than pleasantly surprised when we boarded I had even packed a case of Fever Tree tonic cans as we knew we would upgrade our package and couldn’t bear to ruin it with inferior tonic. As it was only a one week cruise I could just about manage to squeeze it in but fingers crossed for our 16 night cruise on Pursuit in January that that we won’t be put off upgrading the package because of the tonic options available.

Had another great cruise on Azamara, thank you to all the ship crew

Vicki

1 hour ago, BBMacLaird said:

I hope that it is not just a test and that things are changing at last.

If it's not asking to much I hope that a decent Scotch is on the included drinks shopping list.

This is great news re Fever-Tree.

I should have posted two weeks ago when we got off Journey. Schweppes was in abundance. 

Even more pleasing during the cruise, not once did I see a tin of Royal Club of any variety.

In hindsight, I should have asked for Fever-Tree, but the Schweppes made a real welcome change.