Allegiant/JetBlue/SouthWest/Spirit/Virg Amer/-New opening of rate schedules-post here

Host Mike

OUCH!!!

PAINFUL Fares from Northeast for Christmastime...

MHT / BOS to FLL or MIA - $600pp x 4

Hi cjt,

We had the same problem! Yikes -- Southwest was high, but all the rest were even higher. Picked up our flight to FLL this morning (we are returning on Delta out of MIA). Thanksgiving was even more expensive!!!:(:(

Enjoy!

Kel

Just out of curiosity, because we see it happen often - did you check other airlines several months ago to see what their fares were? Many times people hold out assuming Southwest will be cheaper, but I am curious how it compares to, say, Delta or American tickets that were on sale a few months ago.

I have been watching since they were posted on day 1 in January - There have been a couple of drops for the first leg - Still about $220pp - I also can flex and go out of Boston for that leg as well.... We just really want to fly home to MHT -

Traditionally this fare could be as low as $1500 / family - but I realize with Holidays - that number is impossible. Hoping for $2000. Add luggage and bus for Boston and it has to be $280 less to break even with SW from MHT.

My DH wants to find a couple who would like to have their Motorhome transported to Florida in December. We could drive down on someone elses' nickel!!

I think we will just keep waiting and watch each leg. I just prefer to fly out of MHT if possible so xxxing my fingers!!! :confused:

Hi Kelly....looks like there is something wrong with part of the website

too:rolleyes:....weeks at time are not listed (for me):eek:....I wonder if they

are still "loading schedules" into the system.

I have tried calling but the hold time is really, really, loooonnngg or

the line is busy.

Hi Kelly....looks like there is something wrong with part of the website

too:rolleyes:....weeks at time are not listed (for me):eek:....I wonder if they

are still "loading schedules" into the system.

I have tried calling but the hold time is really, really, loooonnngg or

the line is busy.

Hang in there Lois,

Southwest is usually pretty good when it comes to their website. The nice thing with SWA, if a change occurs (like the price comes down), you can rebook at the lower rate and bank the difference.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Just out of curiosity, because we see it happen often - did you check other airlines several months ago to see what their fares were? Many times people hold out assuming Southwest will be cheaper, but I am curious how it compares to, say, Delta or American tickets that were on sale a few months ago.

Hi Zach,

I do not travel often so I do not know much about air travel prices ...... but I did check number of times (in the past 4 months), how much the cheapest tickets cost to get me from DTW to TPA in the first part of Dec, 2014.

The lowest price that I did see on Delta was 220 p/p nonstop flight to TPA and back to DTW. Carry on no charge and 25 for first checked bag.

Spirit had some lower prices but after adding the luggage charges it was rather high ( and also they have smaller size carry on and lower weight check in bag - so there coul be more suprizes at the gate).

Today I did book the DTW -TPA flight on Southwest. The lowest prices were in the 228 - 242 round trip p/p range and no extra for the luggage even for the second checked in bag. So I guess they were just a little lower than most prices now, considering the free luggage transport. The flights are not as convinient with one stop, some require plane change..... and it will take longer to get there.

Should have booked the Delta when the price was 'right' ...... but I am happy with I got today from Southwest.

Edited by wieslaw

Hang in there Lois,

Southwest is usually pretty good when it comes to their website. The nice thing with SWA, if a change occurs (like the price comes down), you can rebook at the lower rate and bank the difference.

Enjoy!

Hi Kelly....not sure about it. I reached someone on the phone and

for some reason it looks like they are not having any flights from

Jax/Ft. Lauderdale:mad::(......execept on 4 Saturday's in the month of NOV.

NO FLIGHTS at all on Nov 7th and none in the middle of the month

either. And only ONE flight offered all day on Nov 8th.

I can't believe they are deleting all the normal itineraries.....:confused:

It doesn't make any sense to me.......:(

No flights for Novemeber 3rd to the 7th....only one on the 8th

None for the for the follwing week...only one on the 15th

None for the following week...only one on Nov 22nd

It is like they decided to drop the entire month of NOVEMBER......I am sad!

Edited by Lois R

Hi Kelly....not sure about it. I reached someone on the phone and

for some reason it looks like they are not having any flights from

Jax/Ft. Lauderdale:mad::(......execept on 4 Saturday's in the month of NOV.

NO FLIGHTS at all on Nov 7th and none in the middle of the month

either. And only ONE flight offered all day on Nov 8th.

I can't believe they are deleting all the normal itineraries.....:confused:

It doesn't make any sense to me.......:(

No flights for Novemeber 3rd to the 7th....only one on the 8th

None for the for the follwing week...only one on the 15th

None for the following week...only one on Nov 22nd

It is like they decided to drop the entire month of NOVEMBER......I am sad!

Hi Lois,

They are making big changes now that the Wright Amendment is gone. This year they dropped all the short flights out of ABQ (no more Tucson, El Paso…,) and some non-stops to Seattle and Orlando. Today they dropped 15% of all flights out of ABQ. I thought we might lose 30%, but time will tell. It's really hard on us! The only good news -- Alaska Air is starting service in October. We use Southwest 80% of the time.

Perhaps they are dropping all the shorter routes in your area as well? I know you can't fly Orlando to FT Lauderdale anymore.

Not fun,

Hi Lois,

They are making big changes now that the Wright Amendment is gone. This year they dropped all the short flights out of ABQ (no more Tucson, El Paso…,) and some non-stops to Seattle and Orlando. Today they dropped 15% of all flights out of ABQ. I thought we might lose 30%, but time will tell. It's really hard on us! The only good news -- Alaska Air is starting service in October. We use Southwest 80% of the time.

Perhaps they are dropping all the shorter routes in your area as well? I know you can't fly Orlando to FT Lauderdale anymore.

Not fun,

That is very interesting to read as we have (had?) several Southwest flights here in Rhode Island that went to Orlando and then onto Ft. Lauderdale. I wonder what will happen to those.

• 2 weeks later...

JetBlue is currently taking reservations through Feb 11/2015 (that works for us) SW as of today is only taking reservations through Jan 5/2015. Does anyone have insight as to when SW will extend? Not as concerned about price as scheduling.

Edited by marco

Hi, this from Southwest website:

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 4, 2015. On July 21, 2014, we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2015. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

• 3 weeks later...

We are cruising next May 3rd out of Barcelona for the first time on RCCL's Vision Of The Seas and all flight info and rates have now been posted.

Since my wife and I hardly ever fly, we are getting so confused on what airline and plane model to try and take, from JFK to Barcelona, even though some people have suggested flying out of Toronto.

Are there any threads on Cruise Critic or elsewhere to view previous flyer comments to try and get a feel of what airline has newer planes and/or has updated them to allow for more leg room, updated entertainment systems, better quality seats, etc.

I happened to see a few comments on one of those seat map sites and it seems like one airlines 767, 777, or 747, might not be as nice and comfortable as another airlines same model planes.

I did see some decent comments on the new 787-8, 747-8, and Airbus 330-300 and 380-300. But that might be since they are newer planes. Maybe these planes are the ones to look at more closely from airline to airline, and, on the other hand, I could be over thinking on all of this. If I am, please let me know.

Last...if the price is the same, does it make sense to book through the cruise lines Choice Air? I read RCCL's website, but did not see anybody real advantage unless there was a major flight delay, and since we will be in Barcelona 3-days prior to our cruise, I wasn't sure which way to book.

Thanks

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are cruising next May 3rd out of Barcelona for the first time on RCCL's Vision Of The Seas and all flight info and rates have now been posted.
The chances are that you won't be flying there on Allegiant, jetBlue, Southwest, Spirit or Virgin America, which are the airlines that this thread is about!

You could start by looking at the FAQ thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=654448.

Also try the Cruise Air explanation thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322.

The next wave of tickets go on sale on July 21st. Does anyone know what time they start selling them?

When the present wave of tickets went on sale, I looked at 1am, 2am and it was not listed yet ...... I looked again at 7am and the list was there ( EDT)