Captain / Hotel Director / Cruise Director Thread (Updated Through December 2014)

malcliz

Just an update. Azamara has a new Captain on the rota! Stig Nilsen joins Quest on Saturday replacing Captain Johannes who covered for one cruise as Leif Karlsson has decided to retire. Captain Nilsen comes from RCCL. Not sure if anyone here knows of him, but I understand he is a very nice guy. I'll be sailing on Quest on Saturday and looking forward to meeting him.

Phil

Thanks for the update.

We'll be boarding as you disembark, and will look forward to seeing the new captain.

... Azamara has a new Captain on the rota! Stig Nilsen joins Quest on Saturday replacing Captain Johannes who covered for one cruise as Leif Karlsson has decided to retire...
It was a real pleasure sailing with Captain Leif Karlsson earlier this year. We will be forever grateful that we were under his capable command when there was a fire on Quest and emergency protocols had to be put in place. His calm professionalism and expert judgement is permanently etched in our memories. Best wishes to him for a long, healthy and happy retirement.

I got off Quest yesterday and was happy to have finally sailed with Captain Johannes, who is a very pleasant gentleman. He told us that Captain Leif Carlson had some health issues and so he had decided to retire.

The new Azamara Captain Stieg Nilsson, who was previously with Royal Caribbean, was onboard "learning the ropes" from Captain Johannes and was seen around the ship and briefly introduced to us all, but he was not formally taking charge as Captain until the next cruise.

We heard that Captain Nilsson even lives on his boat when not Captaining a ship.....he does not have a house on land! A true man of the sea.

Lottie

Thanks for your update and I glad you had a wonderful cruise and were able to meet Captain Johannes. I had wondered if Capt Leif had health issues and I really wish him all the best for the future with better health.

All us Top Gear lovers will have some fun with a Captain you could call "The Stig" ;) and I will ignore the book the children used to read called "Stig of the Dump :eek:

Our sincere best wish to Leif and his lovely wife for an enjoyable retirement. We were honored to know such a kind and generous soul. I am sorry we missed meeting your daughter recently by a few days. Your fan club fondly remember you and your wonderful sense of humour . Good health and happiness to you both.

Jenny & Philip

It was a real pleasure sailing with Captain Leif Karlsson earlier this year. We will be forever grateful that we were under his capable command when there was a fire on Quest and emergency protocols had to be put in place. His calm professionalism and expert judgement is permanently etched in our memories. Best wishes to him for a long, healthy and happy retirement.

Captain Leif was the Captain on Journey for our first Azamara cruise to South America & Antarctica in Feb 2008..

The Captain seemed to be as excited as the passengers, we can never top that trip almost everyone on board said this was their best cruise ever.

It set the tone for all our following Azamara cruises & we had the pleasure of sailing & dining with Captain Leif on a later Quest cruise in the Med.

If anyone asked about Antarctica cruises he always told them to come & talk with us.

We had hoped to sail with him again but would like wish him a long & happy retirement, he will be able to spend more time with his little Red Tractor

Edited by Bloodaxe

I understand that Captain Leif had some issues with his heart, they did a brief procedure and the following day he had a heart attack. The word is he is doing ok. We all wish him the best and a return to good health.

Phil

I second that - we sailed on Quest in 2009 (can't believe it's been so long!) and Captain Karlssen was just fabulous. He graciously endured our CC gathering, was a constant presence around the ship and even joined his officers to wish us Bon Voyage at the end of our trip. I am saddened that we won't have the chance to sail with him again, and wish him a full recovery and a fulfilling retirement.

Edited by critterchick

• 4 weeks later...
Host Andy - can you update your listing for subsequent cruises, if available?

Hi Taxjam,

With Quest in Drydock, I'm sure it will be nearly impossible to get an update for a while. I will be sure to ask, after her Drydock.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi Everyone,

Here's a *MAJOR* Update for Journey Sailings from October 4, 2012 - April 3, 2013. Please keep in mind that all information listed below, is subject to change without notice. Enjoy !

JOURNEY SAILING DATE

CAPTAIN / HOTEL DIRECTOR/ CRUISE DIRECTOR

OCT 4, 2012

Captain Jason Ikiadis, Hotel Director Heike Berdos, and Cruise Director Eric De Gray

OCT 15, 2012

Captain Jason Ikiadis, Hotel Director Heike Berdos, and Cruise Director Tony Markey

OCT 26, 2012

Captain Jason Ikiadis, Hotel Director Heike Berdos, and Cruise Director Tony Markey

NOV 4, 2012

NOV 14, 2012

Captain Jason Ikiadis, Hotel Director Fred Bubner, and Cruise Director Tony Markey

NOV 29, 2012

Captain Johannes Tysse, Hotel Director Fred Bubner, and Cruise Director Tony Markey

DEC 12, 2012

Captain Johannes Tysse , Hotel Director Fred Bubner, and Cruise Director Tony Markey

DEC 23, 2012

Captain Johannes Tysse, Hotel Director Fred Bubner, and Cruise Director Tony Markey

JAN 6 - 13, 2013

DRY DOCK

JAN 13, 2013

Captain Johannes Tysse, Hotel Director Heike Berdos, and Cruise Director Tony Markey

JAN 26, 2013

Captain Johannes Tysse, Hotel Director Heike Berdos, and Cruise Director Tony Markey

FEB 3, 2013

Captain Jason Ikiadis, Hotel Director Heike Berdos, and Cruise Director Eric De Gray

FEB 20, 2013

MAR 6, 2013

MAR 20, 2013

APR 3 2013

Captain Johannes Tysse, Hotel Director Heike Berdos, and Cruise Director Eric De Gray

Captain Tysse will not embark until December 8.

He will disembark February 20

Does that mean he will embark during the Nov 29 cruise? If so, it will be strange to have two different captains on one sailing.

in S America he can on the day before in Rio.

only time i have seen him in street clothes.

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I will not be posting addtional updates for the remainder of the year. I'm certain that Azamara is extremely busy with Quest's Drydock & Journey's upcoming Drydock. IMO, it's not reasonable to ask for updates at this time. FWIW, I've truly enjoyed sharing the information with Our Community, over the years.

I will look into offering updates in early 2013. Hopefully by then, things will things settle down for Azamara, and their wonderful Officers & Crew.

Thanks very much for your understanding.

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I will not be posting addtional updates for the remainder of the year. I'm certain that Azamara is extremely busy with Quest's Drydock & Journey's upcoming Drydock. IMO, it's not reasonable to ask for updates at this time. FWIW, I've truly enjoyed sharing the information with Our Community, over the years.

I will look into offering updates in early 2013. Hopefully by then, things will things settle down for Azamara, and their wonderful Officers & Crew.

Thanks very much for your understanding.

And thank you, Andy, for all of the work done on this file. I kept thinking it was rather a lengthy and demanding chore to keep us updated when, in fact, there are no bad officer assignments.

So, although your posts helped in our anticipation, the cruise experience, in my mind, was never at risk. So it was a little selfish, on my part, to ask you for the information.

Does that mean he will embark during the Nov 29 cruise? If so, it will be strange to have two different captains on one sailing.

Yes, it means he will embark in Colombo and it is not so unusual for captains to change during a cruising.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Due to the many requests, I'm pleased to provide an update to the Captain / Hotel Director / Cruise Director List. Here's the latest, for Azamara Journey sailings from March - July 2013.

Our thanks to Bill Leiber, and everyone at Azamara for providing this information. Please be advised, the following list is always subject to change.

Enjoy !

Azamara Journey :

============

DATE / CAPTAIN / HOTEL DIRECTOR/ CRUISE DIRECTOR

MARCH 6 - Jason Ikiadis, Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

MARCH 20 - Jason Ikiadis, Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

APRIL 3 - Jason Ikiadis, Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

APRIL 17 - Jason Ikiadis / Johannes Tysse - (Change in Sri Lanka 4/25), Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

MAY 1 - Johannes Tysse, Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

MAY 15 - Johannes Tysse, Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

MAY 25 - Johannes Tysse, Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

JUNE 3 - Johannes Tysse, Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

JUNE 10 - Johannes Tysse, Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

JUNE 17 - Johannes Tysse, Heike Berdos, Eric De Gray

JUNE 26 - Jason Ikiadis, Heike Berdos, Tony Markey

JULY 3 - Jason Ikiadis, Ryszard Guzman, Tony Markey

JULY 11 - Jason Ikiadis, Ryszard Guzman, Tony Markey

JULY 21 - Jason Ikiadis, Ryszard Guzman, Tony Markey

JULY 28 - Jason Ikiadis, Ryszard Guzman, Tony Markey

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

I'm pleased to provide an update to the Captain / Hotel Director / Cruise Director List. Here's the latest, for Azamara Quest sailings from March - July 2013.

Our thanks to Bill Leiber, and everyone at Azamara for providing this information. Please be advised, the following list is always subject to change.

Enjoy !

Azamara Quest :

===========

DATE / CAPTAIN / HOTEL DIRECTOR/ CRUISE DIRECTOR

MARCH 2 - Stig Nilsen, Philip Herbert, Tony Markey

MARCH 14 - Carl Smith, Philip Herbert, Tony Markey

MARCH 27 - Carl Smith, Philip Herbert, Tony Markey

APRIL 3 - Carl Smith, Philip Herbert, Tony Markey

APRIL 10 - Carl Smith, Philip Herbert, Tony Markey

APRIL 21 - Carl Smith, Ryszard Gusmann, Russ Grieve

APRIL 28 - Carl Smith, Ryszard Gusmann, Russ Grieve

MAY 5 - Carl Smith, Ryszard Gusmann, Russ Grieve

MAY 16 - CHARTER

MAY 23 - Carl Smith, Ryszard Gusmann, Russ Grieve

JUNE 3 - Carl Smith, Ryszard Gusmann, Russ Grieve

JUNE 10 - Carl Smith, Ryszard Gusmann, Russ Grieve

JUNE 22 - Stig Nilsen, Philip Herbert, Russ Grieve

JULY 3 - Carl Smith, Philip Herbert, Russ Grieve

JULY 14 - Stig Nilsen, Philip Herbert, Russ Grieve

JULY 24 - Stig Nilsen, Philip Herbert, Russ Grieve

Edited by Host Andy

Andy, many thanks for getting the updated list. Much appreciated. I'll be on Journey on the 1st May and excited to be sailing with Captain Johannes again. Equally pleased to see Heike and Johannes' twin brother Eric on the list. I haven't sailed with them either of them before, but read nothing but good things.

Phil

Andy - Any news on the Quest May 27th cruise?

Hi SunnyNy,

Sorry about that - it wasn't on the list provided. However, being that the officers on the sailing before & after May 27th are the same, I'd expect it to be Captain Carl Smith, Hotel Director Ryszard Gusmann, & Cruise Director Russ Grieve.

If I'm able to confirm, I will be happy to provide an update on this thread.

Edited by Host Andy

• 3 weeks later...